The Great Pumpkin - Elysian Brewing Company

Ratings: 555 | Reviews: 157
4.21/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

32oz growler into a tulip. 9/27/13 filling date

Pours a dark copper/orange color with an inch thick white head. Par for the style. The smell is much less overwhelming than most other beers of the style - where you usually smell a ton of nutmeg and cloves with this beer i actually get a lot of actual pumpkin smell. The taste is also different than most other pumpkin beers... its much more "beer like." much more bitter than the usual extremely sweet pumpkin ale. Definitely can see why this is preferred by a lot of people! Medium bodied, mild carbonation.

Overall one of the better pumpkin "beers" that there are. This one actually tastes like beer.

3.69/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours up an almost minimal amount of head which has no retention. The head is off-white with hints of beige and amber while the body is a slightly darker, medium amber which appears as a glowing, medium amber when held up to the light. Minimal amount of lacing.

Nose- This sure does smell like pumpkin pie, even echoes of sweet potato pie. This runs the gamut of autumn spices: cloves, nutmeg, mace, and cinnamon. Not harsh in anyway. The aroma is quite inviting and clean- which is not true of many spiced beers. Cinnamon is the most dominant spice.

Taste- Reflective of the nose, with almost all of the spice notes hitting me at once. Cinnamon, as it was on the nose, is by far the most dominant. At the moment, it's a little hard to process it all since it tastes as if I just drank the aroma mashed together. I can't tell if the bitterness that seems to permeate all aspects of the flavor profile is a characteristic of all the spices or if this is a separate flavor. Tastes a lot like a mild red hot (the candy) or a spicier version of Big Red chewing gum. A mild indication of raw pumpkin but this seems more like suggestion of the mind. No real heat but how could one discern that with all this spice. Some of the bitterness is definitely separate from the spice profile but it tends to be woody (some pine) with a slight inclination toward yeast and earwax. This is probably a highly desirable beer for some but a little too one-sided for me. I thought Night Owl was much more subdued and well rounded and therefore, better. It would seem that pumpkin ales are not the type of beer to turn imperial. Don't get me wrong- I applaud the effort but I don't need anymore spice than your typical pumpkin beer already has. Does mellow but this makes it seem thin and watery. It really only validates what I've thought to be true- I just don't like pumpkin beers. You might though.

Mouthfeel- Fairly thin and and just a little bit more than light bodied. Ample carbonation works well with the conspicuous spice.

Drinkability- I don't need this much fall, harvest time, or holiday in my beer. This is why I eschew wassails and “Christmas” beers. If I want that, I just drink some heavily spiked eggnog. Price point is all wrong for a beer I don't enjoy but 9 bucks seems reasonable for someone who would.

Overall- This is pretty much one of the highest rated pumpkin ales but it's not my piece of pie. I can drink it fine. There's nothing wrong with it but 22 ounces is too much for me. Definitely worth a try but I won't be buying it again.

4.26/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle into a snifter

Appearance- The beer pours a nice hazy orange amber color with a very small white head. The head fades decently fast leaving some patchy bubbles of foam on the surface of the beer and a decent level of foamy islands of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – A nice roasted pumpkin smell creates the biggest aroma. This is complemented by spice aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Other aromas of a bready smell as well as a nice caramel and brown sugary sweet smell are there as well giving an overall great pumpkin pie aroma. While pumpkin pie like, the smell is not too sweet or too spiced but consists of a very nice blend of aromas.

Taste – The taste begins with a good bready and roasted pumpkin flavor. The sweetness is lighter upfront with just a bit of caramel sweetness. The spice flavors are lighter as well at the start, with some hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. As the taste advances the nutmeg and cinnamon spice are joined by some allspice with the nutmeg growing quite a bit more potent to the end. As this occurs, so too comes some sweeter flavors of more caramel and brown sugar. Along with these flavors, the roasted pumpkin grows a bit more intense with the bready taste fading some, leaving a moderately sweet pumpkin pie like flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the thicker and chewier side with a carbonation level that is on the slightly lower side. Both are fantastic for the pumpkin pie like tastes of the brew making for a creamy, thick mouthcoating texture one would like with something resembling a pumpkin pie dessert.

Overall – This is a very nice and tasty imperial pumpkin ale. A little on the drier side and more roasted pumpkin in nature with a nice blend of flavors and a great feel overall.

4.27/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber into a clear plastic cup. Nice art on the label, which features The Great Pumpkin with a mischievous smirk. A moderate pour produces about a half inch of head. The beer is a bit hazy, and about the color of a pale ale, with light carbonation.

Even though my nose is a bit stuffy, I smell and taste plenty of pumpkin and spices. Also some nuttiness, perhaps from pumpkin seeds, and some sweetness suggestive of brown sugar or maple syrup. The spices are not overdone, and mesh well with the other flavors (i.e., no soapiness). Pretty clean on the aftertaste, with just a bit of lingering pumpkin, which keeps the flavors from becoming too cloying.

I was dubious about pumpkin beer, with several misfires extending back a few years. I even thought that I might not even like pumpkin beer, even though I LOVE pumpkin pie. This beer really does taste like pumpkin pie. The price was moderately steep, but not outrageous, at 4.99 for a bomber, bought at the Albertsons in Livingston, Montana. Bravo to the brewmeisters!

4.06/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a hazy amber orange with white sudsy lacing for a head.

Smells of pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, and cloves. Maybe some gingerbread as well.

Tastes like pumpkin pie with cinnamon and clove spice. A bit of a peppery bite as well. Mild vegetal bitterness.

Medium body with light tingly carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

Pretty good pumpkin ale, nice flavor and body, easy to like if you like pumpkin ales and well worth trying.

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Received as an extra from an extremely generous BA from WA, Thanks Chandler!

I have had this beer once before and enjoyed it very much. In the time since I have tried it I find that I'm just not that "into" pumpkin beers.

This beer is very clean looking, no dirt or sediment and it it looks quite appealing with a burnt orange/caramel color. Smell of this beer is fantastic! Smells just like and apple pie with cinnamon, nutmeg and some slight caramel or vanilla.

Taste- Just like the smell! Really like you are drinking a pumpkin pie. Relatively sweet, although much more drinkable and less sweet that Pumking. It's one of the top 5 pumpkin beers I've had along with Schlafly Pumpkin and Good Gourd but sweeter than either of those two beers. You really get the cinnamon, graham cracker, nutmeg and it's fairly well balanced with a slight hop profile. I would prefer for it to be just a little less sweet.

Overall this beer is quite nice and a nice representation of what I believe a pumpkin beer should be like. I'd give it. 3.75-4.

4.53/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer lives up to it's name - this really is a great pumpkin ale. Poured from a 22oz into a goblet, hazy orange, with a thin white head. Kind of remeniscent of my childhood Orange Crush vice, just a little more rustic looking. Smells delicious, cinnamon, nutmeg, gingerbread, cola, cherry, and pumpkin. No alcohol on the nose at all. Pumpkin flavor is heavier in the taste, but I think the flavor is really well balanced overall, just a nice mosaic of spices and fruit. Sweet, bitter on the back end, and nice mouthfeel. Carbonation is perfectly appropriate for an 8% abv, and the mouthfeel is slick and not as heavy as you might think. Best imperial pumpkin I've ever had.

4.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

According to the bottle this was the first imperial pumpkin ale, and it's brewed with pumpkin and pumpkin seeds, fermented with spices. Admittedly, I have had this bottle a while so this could be the reason I am seeing a lot of floaters in the appearance here. Other than that, it is an otherwise clear-ish copper color with a white head, which dissipates quickly.

I found the aroma to be very exciting, as the only other pumpkin ale coming this close to "pumpkin pie" aroma is Southern Tier's Pumking. It literally reminds me of actual pumpkin and pumpkin cake. Seemingly very fresh and natural. Maybe a hint of hops hiding within as well.

The taste is fantastic, not at all a letdown in regards to how good the aroma was. Pumpkin pie, graham cracker, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, and some nice hop bitterness in the finish. Although it's relatively sweet, the pumpkin aspect does not overshadow the fact that it is beer. I would say this is a little more than you get with say, the Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale, and a little dialed back in comparison to the Southern Tier.

It seems pretty light as far as ABV, but coats the mouth very nicely. The taste lingers on the palate a while, adding that slight pinch of aforementioned bitterness. As with Elysian's other pumpkin ales, I would highly recommend this one for the fall season.

4.06/5  rDev -1.7%

A-orange amber color with an off-white head and decent lacing

S-pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, malt, brown sugar

T- pumpkin, malt, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, hint of ginger,notable alcohol

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth

O-nice pumpkin ale with good pumkin flavor and a nice spice balance, a little hot though

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the brewery in Tangletown.

Pours hazy amber with a finger off white head.

Smell is strong pumpkin mash and cinnamon, nice fresh smell.

Taste is smooth pumpkin, clove, spice, graham cracker finish.

I need to try Good Gourde, but this is hands down my favorite pumpkin beer that I have tried.

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

This beer was chilled and served in a pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is a coppery orange coloration. A thick biege head with major retention rides the body. Sudsy lacing marks this beers passage from my glass.

S- The aroma of the beer has plenty of roasted and toasted pumpkin pie spicing, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, all spice, caradamon, honey and brown sugar.

T- The flavor of the beer has toasted pumpkinm cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, brief malty sweetness that gets swallowed up in spice.

M- The body of the beer is medium and well carbonated. Very smooth and not a hint of alcohol heat.

O- This is a pretty good pumpkin ale. The spice is a bit heavy handed but isnt a deal breaker.

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium orange hue with a moderate haze, a moderate effervescence and quite a few floaties. Head is a thick finger of frothy ivory foam which leave a nice lace as it dissipates. Attractive.

Smell: sweet malt, pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon and ... do I detect cardamom? It's a good mélange of beer, gourd and spice. Classic.

Taste: sweet malt with a big pumpkin flavor and a good dose of the spices from the aroma. It's a bit massive in flavor and a bit overwhelming, but a good example of the style.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a nice, rich, smooth creaminess. I like it.

Overall: this is a good beer, but as I said it's a little bit overwhelming for me. I like my pumpkin beers a little bit more on the subtle side. Decent, but hardly a session drink.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Scored a bottle at my NY connect. About to hit Stowe with the pops for the weekend. Burlington got about 36 inches in the last 72 so needless to say I'm pumped.

A - Dark amber brown. Small head. Almost looks like a less thick ST pumking.

S - Smells like a less rich pumking! Brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and molasses.

T - Vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar and a slight ABV burn that reminds me of the pumking. The pumking has a heavier base and the spices are more intense. The spices are more subtle and the base is more of a pale ale.

M - This gets so much better as it warms. A more subtle pumking.

Great beer. I love pumpkins. This bad boy is up there with the champions.

3.77/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

650ml bottle 8,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
2012 Vintage

Thanks to JAXSON for this bottle.

Appearance: The Great Pumpkin appears a beautiful bright golden-orange in the glass and is topped by a good sized off-white head. The head displays reasonable retention and leaves a few small patches of lacing as it recedes.

Smell: Mmmmm, this smells like it is going to be a delicious pumpkin ale. The initial nose is bursting with pumpkin (roasted pumpkin flesh and the raw stringy bits inside a pumpkin) and pumpkin pie spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and a little vanilla). As the beer warms, there is a hint of pie crust aroma noted, along with some brown sugar and a sweet fruitiness, but the pumpkin and spices still dominate the nose.

Taste: Sadly the flavour is no where near as full as the nose promised. The pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices are still present, but there is also a big grainy quality and a fruity character that make the flavour seem a little bland. I think they could have done with double the amount of pumpkin and spices. As the beer approaches room temperature, it becomes quite boozey for an 8% ale.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with a light stickiness and a high level (way too high for my tastes) of carbonation.

Overall: The Great Pumpkin is a good pumpkin ale, but it cannot stand up to the likes of Pumpking. That said, I have heard that previous vintages of The Great Pumpkin have been better than the 2012, so I might have to revisit it again in the future.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

22oz bottle poured into a tasting glass. Amber in color with a thin head around the edges of the glass.

The aroma has notes of Squash, raw pumpkin and spice. It's got a sweet, almost sugary presence to it along with some slight bready pie crust like flavors.

Pumpkin and squash flavors are very apparent in the taste. Light on the spice, which I like. Tastes a little like raw pumpkin. Pale malts show through in the finish.

Mouthfeel is on lighter side of style with moderate carbonation. Overall a pretty good beer and unique in the style. I liked the low spice and that the real pumpkin and squash flavors seemed to come out more in it.

4.49/5  rDev +8.7%

Scored a discounted bottle of this at the Beermuda Triangle. Best 6 bucks I ever spent!

A - Well given it's over 4 months old I expected some sediment. Head is also minimal with just a finger of sticky white head. Beer itself is a dark amber brown.

S - Man the first whiff blew me away! Brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and molasses hit me hard, in a good way. As it settles in the glass it smells like a sweet cookie with brown sugar goodness.

T - Not bad it doesn't live up the expectation of the smell but no beer really does. I am getting some sweet vanilla/sugar cookie thing wrapped around your typical nutmeg/cinnamon (tasty and powerfully spiced way I like it) And it hits the end with some brown sugar and a slight ABV burn that reminds me of rum. Tasty stuff.

M - As I type I am almost half way through my glass. A sure fire winter warmer though that drinks creamy with a medium to heavy body but hides the ABV very well.

Overall this is a great Imperial Pumpkin ale that trumps out even the legendary Pumking. Heck I think it's even better than "smashed pumpkin" which some craft lovers raved about. I may have to grab another before they are gone.

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

Thanks to gueuzehead for the extra!

Pours murky orange color with a small white head that fades instantly. A ring of lacing.

Smells like most pumpkin beers. I get heavier nutmeg than other spices, but also contains cinnamon and brown sugar.

Similar flavors. Some good malty caramel malts and pumpkin flavors, but the spices are ratcheted up a bit past my preference. Pronounced nutmeg and cinnamon. Alcohol shows a bit here, but the extra body outweighs the booze coming through.

Carbonation levels are a tad low and finishes somewhat astringent. Decent body, but the carb level and finish hurt mouthfeel.

All in all a pretty solid pumpkin beer and much better than some atrocities I've had.

3.32/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- One finger of quickly eroding white head that leaves a tight white ring around the top. Somewhat murky straw color. Particles floating around make the clarity relatively low. Thin ribbons of white lacing. Appealing. It would look nicer with a more pronounced head.

S- Well balanced pumpkin, brown sugar, cloves, cinnamon. Really just a scoop of pumpkin pie in a glass. Very appealing. Hides any trace of alcohol.

T- Doesn't live up to the high expectations of the smell. Alcohol is much more present here, and drops with a bitter clang, outweighing any potential sweetness or warm maltiness from the pumpkin and caramel malts. The warm pumpkin pie sort of fades into a more aggressive squash and vinegar sort of flavor. Makes me wonder if I waited too long to open this.

M- Acrid carbonation, light body and a relatively messy finish. Not terrible. Not great.

O- The smell was to die for. The taste failed me in what was going to become my favorite pumpkin beer.

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

I remember back when Elysian made its intro into the Brooklyn market, someone told me about all of Elysian's pumpkin beers; one in particular that was pumped through a huge pumpkin? I could have sworn they told me it was The Great Pumpkin.

Either way, pumpkin beers are nasty to me. 99% of the time at least. But when I saw this, my memory was jarred, and I had to get it. It was also the last bottle on the shelf.

Really nice balance between pumpkin and spices. I find a real interesting vanilla tone to this as well. Not a barrel aged kind of vanilla, but a cleaner one. This would probably go extremely well with food.

I like this one, so you know it must be good, since I typically can't stand pumpkin beers.

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

A: poured a bright golden orange in color with yellow highlights and a nice half finger of head that left very little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: definitely had the aroma of a pumpkin beer consisting of all spice, nutmeg, some ginger spice, cinnamon abd maybe some actual pumpkin but with a little grainy notes and malty sweetness.

T: plenty of pumpkin style spices going on like the aroma suggest such as ginger spice, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg alongside some grain character a little malty sweetness and a touch of underlying brown sugar.

M: thebrew was medium to light in body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a sweet, spice, slightly grainy and crisp finish.

O: this was my second favorite from the elysian pumpkin series box and was a soild pumpkin beer.

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle into a tulip.

Pumpkin-orange, foggy like a Halloween night. One inch of frothy white head sticks around for a while and leaves behind nice cobwebs of lace.

Very spicy nose, big handfuls of cinnamon and nutmeg. Beneath, sweet roasted pumpkin and a touch of marzipan.

Cinnamony in the flavor too. Pumpkin is fresher here, like it was just cut into. Alcohol flavor is big as well. Honey, apple, cracker finish.

Viscous, almost creamy body. Just a touch of tingly fizz. Some alcohol numbness.

Impressive balance in this big brew. Nice showing from the pumpkin, but there's perhaps a bit too much spice. Their pumpkin stout, Dark of the Moon, is better.

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: pours a dark orange color with a 1/2" head that falls to some big bubbles that hug the sides of the glass.

Smell: pumpkin, nutmeg, and allspice are pleasant and easy to detect.

Taste: mild malt profile here. Pumpkin, allspice, nutmeg, some softer ginger flavors, and some cinnamon are the main flavors. Bitterness is mild and alcohol is well hidden.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Lightly crisp throughout. Aftertaste is moderate and is filled with spice flavors.

Overall: a very good but thinner bodied imperial pumpkin ale. Easy to quaff. Definitely worth trying this one.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: Glowing hazy orange. Slightly burnt. Head is bright white and leaves a wispy, loose cap. The collar is similar, still small, but slightly larger. Some spots of lacing.

Smell: Toasted pumpkin flesh. Spicing is big with the usual compliment of ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and some vanilla. Loads of pumpkin flesh, canned pumpkin pie filling, and clove. Toasted pumpkin seeds. Squashy and vegetal. Pumpkin flesh and even more pumpkin. Sweet bready malts and some caramel sweetness.

Taste: Sweet pumpkin pie. Sweet canned pumpkin and big spice to start. Tons of clove and cinnamon. Squashy real pumpkin comes through more and more as the beer warms. Vegetal real pumpkin. Toasted pumpkin seeds and toasted malts. Sweet bready backing. Sweet pie filling. Big chewy malts. Allspice and nutmeg and cinnamon. Cooked, caramelized malts.

Mouthfeel: Body is medium pushing full. Nice moderate carbonation. A little dry.

Overall: This is the pumpkin Charlie Brown found.

A big pumpkin beer. Huge spices, but enough malt and real pumpkin to balance it. Hits every flavor a pumpkin beer could have and remains drinkable. Not as solid as Night Owl, but for an imperial take, it's damn good.

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this beer

Consumed 11/10/12

Appearance: Mostly clear, deep orange - golden orange in the light - pours with a nice, white head - keeps a decent ring, leaves some spotty lacing

Smell: Mmm... pumpkins - fleshy pumpkin, with pumpkin seeds - minimal (compared to some other pumpkin beers) pumpkin pie spices, but they are there - cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, clove - caramel malts as a base - nice balance

Taste: It's pumpkin-iny - wet pumpkin flesh, dry pumpkin seeds - ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove - caramel malts serve as a solid base, some graham crackers

Mouthfeel: Medium body, adequate carbonation, smooth, very drinkable

Overall: Great Pumpkin, not Awesome Pumpkin

This is a tasty pumpkin ale. It's nicely balanced, and not extreme in any way. This is both a positive and a negative. Some pumpkin ales try way too hard. While this doesn't, it also isn't particularly mind-blowing.

huge thanks to ArchEnemyBrew for sending this beer for me to try! Thanks Hollis!

poured into tulip.

Appearance: glowing orange bodied beer with a finger of white head. Drops down to no head.

Smell: vegital pumpkin. a touch of spice and medicinal notes.

Taste: vegital and earthy pumpkin. A hint of spicy cinnamin. It also reminds me of gingerbread.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation.

Overall: Another really good pumpkin beer from Elysian.

The Great Pumpkin from Elysian Brewing Company