The Great Pumpkin - Elysian Brewing Company

Elysian Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: TheBungyo on 10-24-2006)
4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Poured into my floating air / insulated PIlsner glass with a large massive foaming head of white and strong heavy white lacing down the entire glass.

S: Aroma of heavy spicing , raw, un adulterated pumpkin, malt , nutmeg and cinnamon.

T: Following close on the heels of Night Owl last night, this is very similar in style however much more heavily spiced. Not an arrogant clove or cinnamon, but the Nutmeg is all up in my face on this one. Nutmeg is good in doses, but I find it overdone in here. Coming from a beer that really does the pumpkin bit well, I think this could improve from toning down the nutmeg. It is good however in a lot of ways.

M: Medium body with mild carbonation. I am finding myself burping up nutmeg.

O: As with earlier in this review, the nutmeg is overdone with a nice warming cinnamon presence. The body is great, the carbonation is at a good level. I prefer Night Owl as it is a little more subtle on spices.

alpinebryant, Sep 21, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: It has a nice semi-cloudy dark golden/orange color to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down moderately slow and leaves some lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of pumpkin, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, gingerbread and some bready malts.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a nice pumpkin presence, nice spiciness (cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger) and bready malts. Everything works well in this one.

Mouthfeel: It has a low carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavors and aromas.

SebD, Sep 21, 2012

skaboom420, Sep 21, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a somewhat hazy amber-orange color with a small quickly dissipating white head leaving decent lacing..

Aromas begin with strong freshly baked graham crackers and freshly grated nutmeg. As it warms you get a little cinnamon, roasted pumpkin flesh and some brown sugar. The nutmeg is the strongest I've ever had in a pumpkin beer and meshes very well with the sweet caramelly maltiness.

The tastes begin with a malty base of toasted graham crackers dusted with light brown sugar. The roasted pumpkin flesh comes in next and soon after the melange of spices join the party, with nutmeg and cinnamon taking the forefront. Spices linger into the finish with more caramel sweetness emerging as it warms.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Beer is smooth and almost creamy with a nice spice bite in the finish.

Overall I thought this was a great pumpkin ale. The nose is amazing; a ton of cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin. The taste is a light heavier on the spice, but the hefty malt bill helps to balance it out and offers plenty of complementary pempkin and caramel/brown sugar maltiness. Definitely one of the best I have ever had, maybe third only behind Weyerbacher Pumpkin and Midnight Sun TREAT.

claspada, Sep 20, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

22oz bottle served in pint glass. Beer pours a pale orange/amber, not quite crystal clear, with almost no head. Pleasant aroma of pumpkin and maybe a hint of cinnamon or allspice.

Flavors delivers with a big combination of spice and bitterness. Gravity and mouthfeel are high for a pumpkin ale, thus the "Imperial". Balanced out by healthy carbonation. The gourd works its way into the body of the beer, complimenting the substantial grain bill nicely.

This is a great execution of a pumpkin ale. It's a totally different style, but I'm enjoying it almost as much as I remember enjoying Night Owl (note: must try these two side by side), and much more than Dark O' The Moon.

hreb, Sep 20, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

A-a slightly hazy golden orange with a fingers worth of white head that leaves some lacing around the top

S-pumpkin, lots of spices up front-cinnamon, nutmeg, and a light alcohol smell

T-taste is different from most imperial pumpkin beers in that it isn't as sweet. That isn't a bad thing just the first thing I noticed. This beer tastes like real pumpkin, not pumpkin pie, but the actual vegetable. With that is cinnamon, nutmeg, light brown sugar, and a bit of alcohol warming.

M-medium body, light to medium carbonation, spicy aftertaste

Overall this is a different sort of imperial pumpkin beer than most out there. It is not as sweet as most other imperials out there which makes it more interesting. I am a fan.

ksimons, Sep 19, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

FrankShirley, Sep 19, 2012
4.09/5  rDev -1%

22oz bottle (2012) into a tulip. Pours a hazy copper color w/ a small head that dissipates to a thin film and ring.

Aroma is earthy, pulpy pumpkin and spice: nutmeg, clove, cinnamon.

Taste follows nose. Nice mellow vegetal pumpkin, holiday spices, warm booze. Pumpkin essence is used as a subtle accent, rather than a centerpiece. Spices give it complexity and depth. Well crafted.

Mouthfeel is slick and clean, nice hoppy aftertaste.

Overall, even though pumpkin beers haven't really been my thing, this is probably the best one I've had.

draheim, Sep 19, 2012

strongaf, Sep 19, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

I bought this because of all the hubbub I heard heard and even though I am not a huge pumpkin fan I figured I might as well. Orange color, two finger thick head, fluffy. Smells very spicy, nutmeg cinnamon, the usual suspects, not bad. the flavor was more of the same but for a split second I thought I was chewing a piece of cinnamon gum like Big Red or something. This was much better than Night Owl and honestly this probably was the best pumpkin beer I've had to date. Sadly though I must still say it was not worth the $9 price tag.

ArrogantB, Sep 19, 2012
3.8/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

So here it is, the pumpkin ale of pumpkin ales. At the time of this review, this is the #1 rated pumpkin ale that out-rates my personal favorite pumpkin beer by Selinsgrove. Poured from a bomber into a snifter, the brew appears a perfectly clear color of copper to orange. More than 2 fingers of white froth forms across the top and holds with fairly decent retention for the strength. As the cap fades, it leaves some spots and strings of lacing effect on the glass. A light swirl brings forth a finger of yellowish stained froth. If there was a way to give a 4.75 in appearance, I would give that here. It is better than a 4.5 but not quite perfection.

The aroma opens up with a strong scent of green pumpkin. It is earthy and seedy with some vegetative quality that goes to more earthen components like nutmeg and then the spice of cinnamon. Across the middle is a mild scent of ginger and clove with a minor kiss of caramel or toffee malt. The alcohol is present with a minor ester that really drives home the vegetative quality that lasts inside the nose with a touch of something more fruity as it warms up. This nose here is better than a 4 but not quite a 4.5 so where I rounded down for the look, I will go up for the aroma score.

The taste of this brew... is the most unadulterated example of raw pumpkin flavor I have ever experienced in a beer. Anyone who has ever tasted fresh, raw or cooked pumpkin before being spiced or altered will know exactly what I am talking about here. It has a solid vegetative quality that is earthy and carries with it a lot of seedy elements not too different from sunflower seeds that havent been cooked enough. It is minorly toasty with a solvent boost of alcohol inclusion before the spices really come into play. Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and some clove are all present with the cinnamon being the most forward and somewhat similar to a cinnamon red hot candy but without the burn. The aftertaste is exceptionally earthy and vegetative that draws out more flavor of the nutmeg.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. I gotta tip my hat to the folks at Elysian for making the most raw pumpkin flavored beer I have ever experienced. That is to be commended. Also, the spiced inclusion is enough to let you know it is there and then some. However, it does not cross over into the territory of being ridiculous and too much. For an 8% brew, it sure is imperial and the alcohol is not hiding. Is it a good pumpkin beer? Yeah, it certainly is among the best bottled varieties. Is it THE best? No, Selinsgrove destroys this in overall blended flavor, drinkability and enjoyment. If you want to taste raw pumpkin with a boost of alcohol, this is the beer to go for. I have no reservation about my purchase, I am glad I finally got to try it. I look forward to having it again closer to the holidays.

stakem, Sep 19, 2012

ucsbmullet, Sep 17, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured out of 22 oz bottle. Dark orange pour with white head, aroma has notes of big pumpkin spice, some caramel, toffee, lots of cinnamon, touch of nutmeg & some vegetal pumpkin. Taste is an equal mix of sweet squashy pumpkin flesh & some slight cinnamon, ginger, finishing fairly sweet, alittle (brown) spicy. Not a fan of the style as a whole, but this one is done pretty well. Would def buy again.

stoutluvr420, Sep 16, 2012

Kevlee722, Sep 16, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Rojada1988, Sep 16, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

rfreed, Sep 16, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Funny... I tried desperately to trade for this last year, and now I stumbled on to a case at my best bottleshop!! Cool!

Poured into my slim tulip... a thin white head dies back quickly leaving no cap or lacing.. the brew is pretty standard orange.

Maltiness is near absent.. instead pumpkin spices try and make up for the deficiency.. a bit of ginger? I honestly get a bit of squash.. spices are lesser than expected with warmth.. Nose is better than TREAT (because I don't want the spices :-)

Flavor is nice too.. spicing is there, but not overdone.. a bit of normalcy mid palate that immediately builds and finishes in the Spice Trade...

I know this is pretty good, but (damn) I have a problem with spiced brews... "warm" spices just should not be the majority in beer.. and this one is pretty much the same, but with a judicious hand.

I did not want to like this one as much as I did... but I must give props to the fine folks at Elysian.. Pumpkin beers do not need to be a spice bomb!! Nicely done... though, I wish I had somebody to share it with because the rest of this bomber is going to be ginger and nutmeg burps.

4/4/4/4/4.5

uvm2003, Sep 13, 2012

GaryMarkle84, Sep 12, 2012

MarkyMOD, Sep 11, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy orange with one-finger, off-white, creamy head that lasted a couple minutes. Pretty good lacing.

S: Sweet pumpkin. Some spice - cinnamon, nutmeg. A bit too mild.

T: Light sweetness and light bitterness. Spice is more noticeable in the taste. It's followed by toasty malt. Not too sweet.

M: Medium bodied with moderate to soft carbonation. Silky smooth. Not too warm going down.

O: Solid pumpkin ale. Not the best I've had, but it's up there.

SolipsismalCat, Sep 11, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

Date: 09/09/2012
Type: 22oz. Bomber
Vintage: 2012
Glass: Southampton Tulip

Pours a golden in color w/ orange highlights that produces a thin off-white head that left light lacing. Strong aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and breadiness. The taste was of cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove up front, leading into breadiness, and finishing w/ a bitterness made up of hops, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin seeds. Medium bodied and lush. Pretty drinkable as the spices and pumpkin don't overwhelm the base beer, but rather compliment it.

Overall, very enjoyable as it has been every year I have sampled it. I guess Elysian knows pumpkin! What really separates this brew from others in the style is how natural it tastes, almost to the point where you can literally taste the pumpkin seeds in the brew. Nothing artificial tasting about it, just a well crafted base beer with accompanying deep pumpkin flavors and spices.

mikeyv35, Sep 09, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours an orange amber with a slight off-white head. I get a very nice pumpkin and spice aroma with a little sweetness and molasses.. Pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices with perhaps just a bit too much spice in the nose.

I found this a lighter body than I expected. Bitter, less sweet than expected, with a vegetal presence through the sip. Both wife and I were saying the smell really wowed us and the taste was a slight let down and the mouthfeel was deceptive. Definitely getting some pumpkin seed on the finish, but there is just a little lacking there in the middle to transition from the intense aroma into the actual beer.

theveganbrewer, Sep 05, 2012