Bete Blanche Belgian-Style Tripel - Elysian Brewing Company

Washington, United States

Tripel |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: xlperro on 06-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bete Blanche Belgian-Style Tripel Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +32%

Appearance – Th head was humongous. It foamed up instantly and went down slow, leaving a picture-perfect lacing design that I stared at for quite some time. The body is cloudy orange. This is beautiful.

Smell – There’s some big yeast/malt in there. The pungent aroma worked right through the head. It smells almost like the Ruth HOTD, if you’ve ever had that. There’s a sweetness as well, consisting mostly of oranges, caramel, and a light sprinkle of table sugar. The classic candy sugar aroma is here in spades.

There’s also some good spicing in this brew. I can pick up some coriander and big clove, along with white pepper and maybe cinnamon. This is a very complex bouquet. There are even some hops in here to give it a balanced flavor and to “dry out” some of the other flavors. Amazing!

Taste – This is the real deal. The yeast/malt flavors pick it up a step at the taste, and the sweetness comes in big and smooth. The sugar is 10X from the aroma – it is monstrous. All of these flavors, and it is smooth as silk. Also, though the ABV isn’t on the bottle, this one has a heaping share of alcohol. Beware.

Mouthfeel – Big carbonation and an almost-full body put this right on style. There’s a slight alcoholic sting as well, giving it a bit of excitement.

Drinkability – This was smooth as silk, right on style to the nth degree, and refreshing to boot.

Comments – I hate to go bonkos over a beer with three reviews brewed in my back yard, but this is unbelievable. I’ve always said that a local brewery couldn’t do a malt-based ale, let alone anything Belgian, but this is the real deal. This is my idea of an Abbey Tripel.

Update – I just loved this beer so much when I first joined the site. I thought, now that it’s a year later and I’ve had literally hundreds of Belgian Ales, I should revisit this one.

It’s still one of my favs of all time. I think it is damn near perfect and stand by all of my scores. I’ve sent this to a few other BAs who haven’t thought so much of it, but I still love it. I guess that’s all that matters. Cheers! (2,096 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23%

I am not normally a fan of Belgian-style brewing, but for Elysian, I gave it a chance. I was very pleasantly surprised. I have long credited Elysian for having a powerful, unpretentious taste in many of their beer styles, and this was no exception. When poured, it gives a cloudy appearance that lasts throughout the drinking, solid head, as the label might tell you, and soft lacing. Its flavor is wheaty with some caramel notes. Not a regular choice for me, but if offered I would not refuse it. (497 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Cloudy yellow color, white head, good lace
S: Peppery, apple cider scent, yeast
T: Much like smell. Good spiciness/peppery taste. Sweet and malty up front. Dry aftertaste
M: Smooth creamy and very easy drinkin
D: Very good tripple, easy drinking would for sure get this again. (284 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +20.8%

I must say I really enjoyed this beer in spite of the fact that lighter Belgian styles aren't my favorites. The pour looked great ... and would've scored even higher if the body had been lighter than the dark golden color I got. Head was two and a half fingers ... and looked almost like whipped cream. One of the nicest heads I've gotten from a bottle. Nose is sharp apple, followed by sugar and spice. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the nose on this but I kind of expect a bit of a cotton candy smell here as well. Once I taste it I get a dash of hop bitterness and citrus mingled with sour apple and sugary sweetness. There's no real definition to the sweetness like in most Triples .... usually the sweetness makes me think of bubblegum or cotton candy. Mouth is like cream beaten until thick. I love it and can only marvel that they made a brew this creamy. As I said to start this review off, I don't care all that much for Triples ... but ignoring the style parameters for a moment this is an awesome beer! I would buy this before most triples I can think of. (1,073 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into a heavy glass chalice, formed a 1" off-white head over the cloudy golden brew. Head lasts and lasts, in part due to vigorous replenishment from the upward bubble shower, with minimal lacing. Aroma is sweet spiciness. Taste is sweet malts upfront, with moderate spicing coming on in the middle, and the combination lingers on the tongue. Mouthfeel is extra smooth, and drinkability is excellent as well. Nice one here. (510 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +19.4%

22oz bottle, purchased at the brewery April 2007; Sampled August 2007
I have had this beer a couple times and. as usual, the beer is quite over carbonated. The beer sits in my glass with a lightly hazy, orangish tinged, copper color. A multitude of mad rivulets of carbonation stream up through the beer. This produces a full, four-finger thick, pale tan colored head that slowly recedes with a crag-mired surface and all the while leaving lacing patterns on the sides of the glass. A sharp, spicy aroma greets my nose with notes of ginger, tart citrus, earthy coriander and a nice honey-like note. A solid, clean malt character is found in the nose too, with notes of biscuit-like malt, fresh crushed malt, soda crackers and even some sweet malt aromatics. The aroma on this beer is quite nice & I certainly am enjoying smelling this beer.

The beer is fairly sweet tasting (though in no way overly so), which gives this a solid herbal-varietals-honey like flavor. The beer is quite well carbonated still, despite it being almost 10 minutes since I poured this brew. The carbonation adds a zesty, prickly sensation and certainly helps to clean the sweet honey flavors from the palate, though it never entirely banishes it. The finish has a herbal astringency (almost basil like, sort of menthol like), a solid hop bitterness and a dry malt character to it. Flavors of orange zest, white pepper, young ginger, soda crackers, fresh cut sharp tasting herbs (a mix of arugula/rocket, dandelion, nettle and green tea), sweet malt, perhaps a hint of earthy coriander, honeysuckle and even some notes akin to penny royal.

Quite a nice example of a Tripel. Despite the perceived sweetness, this beer still captures a lightness and quaffability that I like to see in my strong, pale, Belgian-inspired ales (even though many examples from Belgium don't have this). I think that this beer is not nearly as sweet as my focus on it has been; a large part of this is due to the distinct honey note that I find here. I must say that I really like the hop character here, it adds a herbal, zesty edge to the flavor and plays quite a role in the flavor profile. This beer is really impressing me at this moment in time; in fact it is almost exactly what I want in a beer at this moment in time (yesterday or tomorrow I might not have appreciated it nearly as much). This is certainly one of the better beers I have had from this good brewery. (2,432 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

From bottle to brandy snifter.
Nice balanced Tripel shows Americans can make a good Tripel. Pours golden yellow with pale yellow head that retains well. Soft to the palate, mildly sweet, slight astringent aftertaste.
One of my favorite summer beers. Perfect for those who shy away from lagers on that hot summer afternoon. (322 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours clear amber orange with a huge, white, Duvel style head. Leaves alot of lace.

Spicy, peppery, coriander, fruit notes dominate the smell.

A bit sweet up front, mellows into a coriander spiciness. A bit of funkiness in the aftertaste.

Light bodied and refreshing, very drinkable. (292 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +12%

22oz bomber served in pint glass. Label claims 7.4% ABV. Beer pours crystal clear and pale orange, with a pleasing thin white head. Really this is extremely clear for a (relatively) high-gravity Belgian style ale. Typical floral/yeasty Belgian ale aroma with hints of sugary sweetness.

Flavor is extremely neutral: considerable spice and Belgian character despite being perfectly balanced, not sweet nor sour nor funky. Just lots of interesting flavors from the grain, hops, and yeast, wrapped up in a package that doesn't overdo it on the alcohol (548 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

I like this beer. The bottle conditioning is not taken lightly and a full dose of yeast in the bottle goes a long way to build the mouthfeel and taste of the beer throughout. I like yeast and encourage blending with the beer as a whole. It's smell is well balanced but not unique and is a bit overshadowed by alcohol. The taste is so pleasant it's hard not to think its apple juice. Quenching and full bodied without being overpowering. It pours full with a off-white, but full head. (483 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into 2 stemless Cabernet style wine glasses. First time trying this brew at the liquor store's recommendation.

Appearance - Typical rich golden hue I'd expect from a Tripel. A bit more than a finger of delicate head, good lacing. Much better clarity than I expected after reading some of the older reviews; seemed very clear to me with fine cabronation.

Smell - Very enjoyable, spicy (coriander), sweet, and balanced. I get a fairly strong cotton candy nose with a nice subtle hoppy undertone. Smells delightful, but I don't get a sense of the malt from the smell.

Taste - Tasty, though I think the smell over-promised and the taste slightly under-delivers. Some nice spicy yeast characteristics, some tropical fruit flavor in there as well. I get a little more astringency than I'd like. Warm finish.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is right on for me, fine but fervent. Overall it seems just a bit thin and lacking some body, but still very enjoyable.

Drinkability - VERY drinkable. At 7.5 abv I was surprised at how easily it went down.

Overall I thought it was a very good value ($4.99 for 22oz) and I would get it again. Fun beer to evaluate, but I thought the first impressions (appearance and nose) overshadowed the flavor slightly. (1,264 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: Pours a somewhat cloudy amber color with the anticipated buoyant head that leaves plenty of lacing around the chalice

Smell: Loads of peppery sweetness on the nose, with candi sugar, white pepper, rotting pears and hints of banana and cloves

Taste: Sweet up front, with pear and apricot, joined, to a lesser extent by banana and clove; by mid-palate, plenty of bitterness arrives, with some pine, in particular; after the swallow, the candi sugar becomes more apparent along with a peppery spiciness

Mouthfeel: Medium body with effervescent carbonation

Drinkability: A very nice domestic example of the style, although there is a bit too much bitterness - but what would you expect from a NW brewer

Thanks, cannabanaceae, for the opportunity

The beer has been re-formulated since my initial review so I need to rate the new version

Appearance: Pours a clear pale golden color with a meringue of a head that leaves a few shards (4)

Smell: Peppery yeast, with hints of candi sugar, juicy fruit gum and pear (4)

Taste: Biscuity malt, with a growing juicy fruit gum, candi sugar and pear flavor on the sweet side as well as a balancing pepper and bitter hop character; after the swallow, the sweeter flavors tend to linger in the finish (40

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation (4)

Overall: It has been a while since I tried the prior version but it doesn't appear that this one is altogether different; perhaps a little less bitterness, but a very fine beer (4) (1,502 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

Sampled in a 16 oz pint at the brewery.

Beer pours hazy maize with a deep reflected glow and a soft white disappearing head.

Aromas of peaches and apples with a sweet pineapple acidy aroma.

Grapes and continental malt graininess draw into a long honey and candy body cut by a cinnamon spciness with a large warming alcohol down the throat. (349 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%

22oz bottle poured into a Goblet.

A: Light golden straw color. Slight haze. About a half finger white fizzy head that fades quickly but leaves a decent lacing.

S: Coriander, lemon. Belgian yeast. Crisp. Tropical. Slight nice Ivory soap aroma.

T: Slight caramel upfront. Coriander spiciness, lemon, and Belgian yeast flavors from middle through the finish.

M: Light body. Super crisp. Medium carbonation. Dry.

O: Good. I haven't had many of this style. Not really my thing, but this was good. (496 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +9.6%

At 7.4%abv., coming in a 355ml slim brown bottle, bottle-conditioned; production date 15/02/13, served chilled in a straight imperial pint glass.

A: pours a lightly cloudy, dark yellow-ish or light golden colour, coming with a foamy off-white head with good retention and rather healthy & constant carbonation.
S: fruit esters abound along with random orangey and grassy notes of hops, yeasty barn-ish (or “off-ish”) acidity and a dry-ish note, plus some zesty and floral esters. A decent layer of pale malts stays in the background, not dominating. Not so exotic estery or pronouncedly fragrant as one’s standard Belgian Tripel, but still a very refreshing and nicely executed one.
T: refreshingly carbonated on the entry, packed with musk, juicy malts, lime zests, and overripe tropical fruitiness, balanced by lingering hop spicy-bitterness and an intensifying-ly dry palate from the exotic yeasts’ work, and a tinge of exotic “mung bean paste”-like estery taste lingering. Turning minerally dry on the palate and even chewy, with some dried lemon peel-ish tannic undertones.
M&O: refreshingly carbonated but never sharp, medium-bodied, full-flavoured and well-structured, this is a nice Tripel beer but in a rather balanced and not so well-attenuated or dry-ish version. I like it very much. (1,308 characters)

A: Pours a clear gold with 1 finger head that dissipates slowly.

N: Red delicious apple, pear and Belgian yeast.

T: Light apple cider, pear, banana, Belgian funk (perfect amount) and lemon grass. Finishes with notes of earth, citrus and coriander.

M: Light bodied, smooth, clean and refreshing.

D: The lower than average abv makes this Tripel an easy drinker. Very crisp and clean! (385 characters)

Nice orange color with white head. Very nice malt character that balances well with the alcohol, which is present but not overwhelming. Nice hop bitterness. Pretty good mouthfeel. Overall a nice interpretation of the style. (227 characters)

On tap at Elysian Fields in Seattle Washington.

A: 1/8" soapy white head over amber liquid with excellent clarity.

S: Yeasty, malty and sweet.

T: Malty and yeasty with a sweet aftertaste.

M: Medium viscosity and medium level of fine carbonation.

O: Although nothing particularly stands out, this is a tasty and well-rounded tripel. (336 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Hazy pure gold in color. Pretty opague. Small white head that doesn't last long. Heavy fragrance of citrus fruit, floral notes, lemon and yeast. Tastes is slightly sweet, zesty with little to no bitterness. Refreshing light citrus quality though flavor is pretty heavy. Good punch of spice notes as well, definate coriander. Body is smooth yet well carbonated with a sort of sparkling quality. Pretty enjoyable. (411 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Hazy golden-straw. Good head, retention and lacing.

S: Yeasty citric character. Lemon, grapefruit. Some light spice.

T: Solid, but not terribly noteworthy. Yeasty. Light citric fruits over a slight biscuity malt body.

M: Moderate body. Bubbly. Clean finish.

D: Solid american tripel. Doesn't quite have that true belgian taste that only a few american breweries can match. (381 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into one of my favorite chalices.

A: Peach tinged gold with nice clarity. A soapy eggshell head quickly falls to a broken film. Leaves bits of lace.

S: Sweet pear and green grape are joined by a coriander and clove spice. A light alcohol tingle finishes things.

T: Pear and green grape sweetness is in front. A coriander and clove spice comes on quick and provides nice balance. Alcohol adds a light warmth, but is otherwise masked. Pepper comes on very late in the finish.

M: The body is quite light for the ABV, which is in keeping with this style. The carbonation has the right tingle to it.

D: If memory serves, this is contract brewed in CO by New Belgium. I say this because the beer seemed eerily similar to New Belgium's Trippel in its presentation. Both beers just happened to be on hand, so I did a side by side. This beer is a touch sweeter and a bit less spicy, which makes sense given that the NB beer contains coriander. Otherwise, the flavors are awfully close. Coincidence? (1,001 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Update 4/08/2011: I haven't increased the numbers, but the current sample I have in front of me shows much less alcohol than it did 9 years ago; and the bitterness is much more in line. I'm tempted to give it a 4.5 for taste but I think that would bump it up a bit too much. Still, it's remarkably improved, and not surprisingly so after so many years.

11/13/2002: Pours a very deep gold with an orange cast. Slightly hazy. The white head is limited to an average size, and then drops to a limited surface covering - but it's also quite creamy, holds fairly well, and leaves some nice lace throughout the glass. The aroma is lightly estery and gently malty with just a limited yeastiness. The body is medium/light with a very fine and gently effervescent carbonation that seems limited for the style. There is, however, also a higher than expected level of bitterness which might seem elevated under a stronger carbonation. The mouthfeel is gently zesty at first, but becomes much more creamy as it warms. The flavor starts a bit wine-like with a dollop of honeyish sugar (through a combination of the high level of alcohol and a grape-like fruitiness), then shows its alcohol a bit more clearly just before the gently sweet and grassy maltiness comes through. It finishes long and dry with an increasing bitterness in the aftertaste. An interesting interperetation of the style with alot of character and many charms. (1,419 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Hazy gold color. Poured a 2 finger rocky white head with excellent retention. Lightly decanted. Laced in sticky sheets.

S: Sweet light-colored fruit; white grape and pea. Mild clove spice.

T: Light fruits just like the nose. Clove and coriander follow quickly. Peppery finish with a little warming alcohol.

M: Light body. Moderate carbonation. Fruity and a little sweet, but smooth and balanced into the finish. Nice balance overall

O: Very drinkable and consistent with style. Good flavor and good balance overall. (522 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

Bete Blanche Belgian-Style Tripel
Elysian Brewing Company
Style: Tripel
ABV: 7.50 %

LOOK: Dark for a triple, deep copper hued beer. Exhibits fine clarity, with a soapy white head and some lacework on the glass. Active carbonation rising to the top.

SMELL: Aromatic to say the least, with strong floral notes, candy sugar sweetness, mild herbal touches, and pleasing to the senses inviting the first sip.

TASTE: Mellow flavors of Belgian yeast with a subtle fruityness (pear, apricot) upfront. There is a herbal element and a mild but well pronounced bitterness to round out the flavor profile. Even balance, light, agreeable flavor, and a modest alcohol content.

FEEL: Light bodied, crisp, not dry at all and more of a quenching character. Belgian yeast lingers into the finish showing off a fine flavor.

OVERALL: This is a very solid American style Tripel. Has the Belgian yeast note with American hops and a very well balanced brew. One of the better American interpretations of the style. (997 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Appearance has a slighty hazy yellow orange color with a nice head leaving fair lace. Smell of the Belgian style having a light musty note with the spice. Taste seems well balanced with the malt, spice and hops having a good yeast flavor with a light alchohol note. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Overall an enjoyable Triple, nothing to complex, Just enjoyable. (373 characters)

Bete Blanche Belgian-Style Tripel from Elysian Brewing Company