Bete Blanche Belgian-Style Tripel - Elysian Brewing Company

Washington, United States

Tripel |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: xlperro on 06-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bete Blanche Belgian-Style Tripel Alström Bros
Ratings: 165 | Reviews: 79
4.83/5  rDev +34.9%

Appearance – Th head was humongous. It foamed up instantly and went down slow, leaving a picture-perfect lacing design that I stared at for quite some time. The body is cloudy orange. This is beautiful.

Smell – There’s some big yeast/malt in there. The pungent aroma worked right through the head. It smells almost like the Ruth HOTD, if you’ve ever had that. There’s a sweetness as well, consisting mostly of oranges, caramel, and a light sprinkle of table sugar. The classic candy sugar aroma is here in spades.

There’s also some good spicing in this brew. I can pick up some coriander and big clove, along with white pepper and maybe cinnamon. This is a very complex bouquet. There are even some hops in here to give it a balanced flavor and to “dry out” some of the other flavors. Amazing!

Taste – This is the real deal. The yeast/malt flavors pick it up a step at the taste, and the sweetness comes in big and smooth. The sugar is 10X from the aroma – it is monstrous. All of these flavors, and it is smooth as silk. Also, though the ABV isn’t on the bottle, this one has a heaping share of alcohol. Beware.

Mouthfeel – Big carbonation and an almost-full body put this right on style. There’s a slight alcoholic sting as well, giving it a bit of excitement.

Drinkability – This was smooth as silk, right on style to the nth degree, and refreshing to boot.

Comments – I hate to go bonkos over a beer with three reviews brewed in my back yard, but this is unbelievable. I’ve always said that a local brewery couldn’t do a malt-based ale, let alone anything Belgian, but this is the real deal. This is my idea of an Abbey Tripel.

Update – I just loved this beer so much when I first joined the site. I thought, now that it’s a year later and I’ve had literally hundreds of Belgian Ales, I should revisit this one.

It’s still one of my favs of all time. I think it is damn near perfect and stand by all of my scores. I’ve sent this to a few other BAs who haven’t thought so much of it, but I still love it. I guess that’s all that matters. Cheers!

4.03/5  rDev +12.6%

Sampled in a 16 oz pint at the brewery.

Beer pours hazy maize with a deep reflected glow and a soft white disappearing head.

Aromas of peaches and apples with a sweet pineapple acidy aroma.

Grapes and continental malt graininess draw into a long honey and candy body cut by a cinnamon spciness with a large warming alcohol down the throat.

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

Update 4/08/2011: I haven't increased the numbers, but the current sample I have in front of me shows much less alcohol than it did 9 years ago; and the bitterness is much more in line. I'm tempted to give it a 4.5 for taste but I think that would bump it up a bit too much. Still, it's remarkably improved, and not surprisingly so after so many years.

11/13/2002: Pours a very deep gold with an orange cast. Slightly hazy. The white head is limited to an average size, and then drops to a limited surface covering - but it's also quite creamy, holds fairly well, and leaves some nice lace throughout the glass. The aroma is lightly estery and gently malty with just a limited yeastiness. The body is medium/light with a very fine and gently effervescent carbonation that seems limited for the style. There is, however, also a higher than expected level of bitterness which might seem elevated under a stronger carbonation. The mouthfeel is gently zesty at first, but becomes much more creamy as it warms. The flavor starts a bit wine-like with a dollop of honeyish sugar (through a combination of the high level of alcohol and a grape-like fruitiness), then shows its alcohol a bit more clearly just before the gently sweet and grassy maltiness comes through. It finishes long and dry with an increasing bitterness in the aftertaste. An interesting interperetation of the style with alot of character and many charms.

Nice orange color with white head. Very nice malt character that balances well with the alcohol, which is present but not overwhelming. Nice hop bitterness. Pretty good mouthfeel. Overall a nice interpretation of the style.

Bete Blanche Belgian-Style Tripel from Elysian Brewing Company