The Men's Room Ale - Elysian Brewing Company

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: ccrida on 06-16-2010

Ratings: 268 | Reviews: 63
3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

- Pours a rather light amber copper color.. ever so slightly cloudy with a quick fizzing white head that leaves some creamy big bubbled ring lace and some scattered dust.

- Great roasty caramel malt backbone with a nice pine and grassy hop zest to pepper the malt. Loving the smell.. smells more like a red than it looks.

- Big balanced creamy red.. nice grainy biscuity barley caramel malt profile with some nice bitter zingy grassy hops. Light pine, and grassy notes. Slight green flavor to the beer.

- Lightly creamy, and light to medium bodied. Bitter zesty dryness.

- Overall a great red with a lovely hop bite. Sets a nice standard for a Northwest Red Ale. Just the slight green flavor throws it off only a light touch.

3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

On tap at Salty's on Alki in West Seattle. Served in a chilled stemmed beer glass. Dark orange/red color, with a fairly good head and decent amount of lacing. Had a bready smell to it. Taste was refreshing. It had a nice hop profile to it, with a bit of pepper spiciness on the palate at the finish. Mouthfeel was adequate for an amber ale; fairly smooth. Drinkability was mostly straightforward and easy for this beer. This was a nice brew served along side apps in the bar.

3.1/5  rDev -12.7%

I'm not a big fan of Elysian's line of brews, so I didn't have high expecations when I popped my first Men's Room Red, and sure enough, I assign pretty average markings across the board. At 5.6 ABV I suppose I could throw back a few of these 22 oz bombers, but really, why would I?...

3.3/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

At first glance, this probably the worst name for beer ever. Who wants to drink whats comes of the mens room floor? But really The Mens Room is radio show (that I've never heard) in Seattle, and some of the proceeds from this brew go to charity.

22 poured into 10oz glass. Pours a clear, coppery-amber color with about a half inch of off white head that had good retention and OK lacing.

The aroma was pleasant, a rich deep blend of malts with a trace of tangy hops at the edges. On the tongue, the malts were solid but not as rich as the aroma had let me to expect and the hops had a bit stronger presence.

The body was fairly typical for the style, a bit fuller than most of the widely recognized examples. Drinkability was good, I enjoyed the whole 22, but it was enough for one day.

Overall, a decent enough beer that's worth trying if you see it. I probably won't buy another bottle, but if I see it on tap I'd certainly have a pint.

3.3/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received as an extra from screamforme... Thanks, Mark!

Pours a deep hazy golden with an ample head of white... Lots of good lacing and the head is quite persistent...

Sweet bready malts seem to dominate the nose with perhaps a hint of piney hoppiness...

Fairly balanced blend of the sweet caramel malts and bitter piney hoppiness... The malts seem to win out slightly... Finishes a touch bitter...

An easy drinking amber....nothing that really screams, "I'm awesome!" but a solid brew nonetheless.. Glad I got to try this one...

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

The beer is light red/amber. There is a small white head.

It smells of grassy citrusy hops, there is also a bready toasted malt smell from the beer as well. I t does not smell too strong but it does smell good.

It tastes of grassy and citrusy hops: I get quite a bit of an orange and sweet lemon flavor. The hoppy citrus flavor is balanced nicely with a subdued dry malt flavor: I get a nice bready malty toasted malt taste. The beer finishes with a smooth hoppy bitterness. This beer is nicely balanced and very smooth.

The carbonation is moderate, I would say about medium.

Drinkability is good: the beer is very smooth and it goes down easy.

Overall a nice drinkable well made red. It's not amazing but it is better than average. I would take a trip back to the men's room again.

3.91/5  rDev +10.1%

A - A truly gorgeous hue of coppery red with a very thick, slightly off-white head. Good retention, and significant amounts of thin lacing.

S - Mild aromas of roasted malt with some piney and herbal hops. Just a bit of almond.

T - By far and away, this is nowhere near a favorite style of mine, and this will do little to change that. However, I did find it to be a nice and above average amber - well constructed for sure. Nice toasted malt backbone lends a lot of biscuity flavor, as well as some subtle nuttiness. The hops are quite present for the style, and offer some earthy bitterness that is balanced just right.

M - Medium-bodied and spot on carbonation. Nothing amazing, but would you would expect for the style.

D - Right up there, this went down easy. Surely its goal is to be an eminently drinkable session beer, and it is, although it is too mild for my preference.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at the Washington Brewers Fest. Didn't get much of a taste so I picked up a bottle recently to give it more of a try.

A- Looks like a red ale, solid looking beer with nice head and good amberish color.

S- There is a bright hoppy smell that is engaging. I'm getting a nice bready smell that goes well with the hops.

T- The taste is the same as smell, solid hop flavor with a nice malty earthy breadyness that comes as an aftertaste. This is a solid very tasty beer. I don't think it's worth the 5.99 a bottle price for sure, if this came in six packs for 6.99 it would be very worth it.

M- Good mouthfeel solid medium body.

D- Very easy to drink. Just an excellent session type beer.

I can't see how people are whipping out at two of these 22oz bottles. This is something that would be tasty as a growler session while watching football.

3.28/5  rDev -7.6%

Light clear amber with just the slightest hint of red to give it an orange tinge with a fluffy tan head with good retention. Sweet, light tea aroma, maybe some light citrus, very light all around. Balanced sweet malt and light tea and citrus bitterness with a hint of a toasty finish with a light bitter linger. Thin, slightly sticky feel.

I don't listen to the Men's Room but my wife does and wanted to try it. Anything to encourage my wife's sampling different beers I will do so I dutifully tried to hunt it down. I guess they're popular because in a few days since getting it in most places had sold out of it. My wife thought it was a little too bitter, odd because she likes some pale ales. To me is was a subtle flavored, easy to drink beer that the craft beer uninitiated will be able to drink and get a taste of what they're missing. It's a well crafted beer and I say cheers to the Men's Room for bringing craft beer to the masses.

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Best by 20 Feb 2011, says the bottle. Now, I don't listen to the Men's Room, but I'm definitely willing to try their beer. Good luck to them!

Appearance: rich medium-orange hue with just the slightest hint of haze. Head is a rocky two-finger ivory affair with good persistence and a nice lace left on the glass. I like it.

Smell: big biscuity aroma with not much in the way of hops. While it isn't exactly my bag of cats, it's a pretty good execution of the style.

Taste: big biscuity flavor with not much in the way of hops outside of a little earthiness and a nice bitterness. Did I say that already? This beer's flavor is extremely faithful to its aroma. It's basic, it's malty, and it's got more biscuits than Alton Brown's Ma Mae. If you're into solid, well-executed and malt-centric amber ales, this one's for you.

Mouthfeel: medium, perhaps medium-light body with a relatively high level of carbonation. That makes this a creamy delight; kudos!

Drinkability: as I said, biscuity ales don't precisely float my boat. This is a tasty, well-crafted brew, though, so I'm glad to finish this bomber (and might even order it on tap if I see it).

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%

Elysian Brewing Company, Inc.--ELYSIAN The Mens Room Original Red--2010 22 oz. Bottle. 5.60% ABV. 45 IBU's. (3.75 / 5.0) Big dense rocky lasting lacy off white head. Clear bright amber red hint color. Slightly toasted fruit hint delicate floral hop front. Dry mild sweet medium light toasted malt mild doughy biscuit fruit hint crisp tasty Red Ale body. Mild clean citrus hop end. Sampled 8/27/2010. 2 @ $4.25 Each.

4.23/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draught at The Spar Cafe, Tacoma. Also seens this listed at numerous other locations including Elysian Fields as Mens Room Red

A: Poured a nice crimson color with good carbonation and a small white head

S: Nose is hoppier than you would expect from this style. Caramel, bread

T: Taste is full of flavor, pretty nice and big for a lower ABV beer, it had some citrus notes, caramel and bread. Not a fan of the style but this was pretty good

M: Nice and coating, lighter to medium body, sticky but then it is crisp on the end with nice hops, light booze feel

4.8/5  rDev +35.2%

On draught at The Swiss, served in a shaker, The Men's Room is a clear twany orange with a big bubbled off-white head that leaves really nice lace patterns - thin but extensive, all the way down the glass.

Smell is pretty hoppy, a nice pungency some citrus that plays well with the malt.

Taste is very nice, full but very well balanced, lots of hop flavor without undue bitterness. Nice biscuit character from the malt, hint of coco, light sweetness, just a really great amber.

Mouthfeel is on the crisp side, with a lighter body.

Drinkability is ridiculous. For some reason I gulped this down in about 5 minutes without even trying. Nice hoppy amber that is smooth and light, what's not to love? The best amber I've ever had, killer. Definitely one you want to drink fresh though for the hop character, I'm a little skeptical of the bottles that are coming out but we'll see...

The Men's Room Ale from Elysian Brewing Company