Savant - Elysian Brewing Company

SavantSavant

Elysian Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Beer added by: barleywinefiend on 08-29-2010

Formerly known as Idiot Sauvin.
Ratings: 360 | Reviews: 104
2.07/5  rDev -46%

I was going to restrain from reviewing this beer - but I read a couple of reviews....and couldn't keep silent.

A - it looks great in the glass. Beautiful lacing, nice color - let's do this.

N- Off! It smells of plastic - a big strike.

T- Thin. Lacking in almost every category. Carbonation is decent - that is the only thing going for this Nelson Hop only beer.

F- Lacking. This beer is not good. I actually sent the last 1/5th of the beer to the drain.

Am I the only person who thinks Elysian does good pumpkin beers- and that's it!?!?

2.26/5  rDev -41%

I absolutely love Elysian Spacedust but this savant is not doing it for me. Smells of strong banana esters. Its bitter, the hops are not aromatic enough, and its doesn't even seem balanced with the malt. I tried eating to cleanse my palate, didn't help. Not an enjoyable beer for me.

2.46/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very hazy and completely opaque dark copper color with golden orange edges and a one finger frothy white head that has good retention, only slowly fading into a thick lasting ring.

Earthy aroma with lots of leathery malt and faint earthy hops.  Smells more like a barleywine really with hints of caramel, toffee and leather.  Not that hoppy for an ipa with some earthy pine needle and very faint citrus fruit.

Full bodied with a stronger hop presence than the aroma suggests but it's still pretty boozy and very malt forward.  Slight creamy texture with some dry bitterness up front that lingers throughout.  Very strong malt backbone with hints of caramel, biscuit, toffee and an odd leathery presence.  Slightly spicy in the finish.

Overall I wasn't really feeling this beer.  It kind of has an identity crisis smelling and tasting more like a hoppy old/strong ale.

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours orange/honeycomb with thick head and lacing. Looks like a pretty malty beer.

Very malty. Smells like a barleywine. Lots of bread. Quite a bit of citrus hop behind that. Bit of oxidised hop. Do get a bit of pine when I sniff hard. Hint of sourness even?

Not a whole lot happening on the palate- a bit of malt and citrus rind but it's a bit weak. And also a touch of sourness. And a bit of booze actually.

Mouthfeel is honeycomb and a bitter finish- perhaps the hops are finally manifesting themselves. Aforementioned sourness and booze.

I have had this for a while now (possibly a month or more), but it's not as though its fundamental character would have changed that much since then. It's also unclear how long this took to get into the country in the first place. Still, for the price, it's pretty disappointing. Seems like an East Coast style IPA but even more malty. And the maltiness isn't even that great. Either it's normally like this or it's in worse condition than most grey IPAs I've had. I've had a good beer from Elysian previously but this one is not recommended. Do not buy in Australia if looking for an IPA. Saving graces are it looks good and the nose does momentarily portray some hops, even if it's still very malty.

3.06/5  rDev -20.1%

Unfortunately a miss for me.

Beer is golden / orange in color with a decent white head of small and medium bubbles, some lacing, some carbonation. Looks nice.

The aroma is just a little off. I've had 100% nelson beers before, this smells like grass, not like hops. Bummer.

Beer is mildly sweet on the front and earthy and grassy on the back end of the beer. Overall interesting but throughout boring. A pretty big disappointment since this was suppose to be an IPA, not even close, almost no bitterness, the finish was meh with an unfortunate aftertaste, no thank you.

3.19/5  rDev -16.7%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: A slightly hazy medium copper color. One and a half finger off white head that has great retention and lacing.

S: Very light floral aromas. A touch of caramel.

T: Some caramel and toffee upfront. A floral and earthy hop flavors. A slight spice but bitterness is low.

M: Medium light body. High carbonation. Slightly oily.

O: It's decent. Don't know much about the Sauvin hop, but it must not be a great bittering hop.

3.24/5  rDev -15.4%

The second half of a bomber poured into my trusty Penn Brewery pint glass. I've been seeing a lot of this brewery showing up in the 'Burgh. We got this one and the Immortal. Let's see what Idiot is all about. Can't spot a bottle date.

Orange amber with a single smokestack of aeration rising from the base of the glass. Ultra-fluffy inch of head with the tightest bubble I've seen. Arty lacing, like wings painted along the inside of the glass.

Nothing overpowering about the nose, no huge hop bitterness. I'm going to have to dig a little deeper. Some sweetness paired with earthy hops. Light smacks of lemon and raw veggie aroma. If anything, the malts are fronting the nose with a graham cracker punch.

More veggies in the taste. These hops are weird! Or, maybe, it's just the way they pair with the grains. Dirty earthy hops with an implied lemon citric quality somewhere in the distance. Not resinous, but stanky. A crisp bitterness is pronounced, for sure. Strange counter with a 'stacked-too-high' malt bill that showcases caramel elements and tangy sugars. A little unsettling. Tastes like an interesting accident.

A little harsh going down, but that's just the bitterness pushing the envelope. Light-medium body with a good dose of CO2 fizz. That carbonation keeps it decent. I'm okay with the feel.

I don't particular like this beer, but it's a fascinating concoction. I don't think Elysian should mess with this particular hop varietal. This one's a little messy, but I like the direction in which it was going. I'll mark it above-average.

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from a bomber into my Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy reddish amber with a finger of fluffy off white head that fades to a layer on top of the pour. There is some mild lacing left on the side of the glass.

Smell: The smell is milder than I would expect for an IPA. I'm getting some malt with a fruity hop profile.

Taste: Stronger than the smell. The hop profile is extremely fruity with a citrus peel bitterness in the finish. The hop profile is a bit strange if you ask me.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: This is an extremely fruity IPA with a slightly weird flavor. I can't say that I'm a huge fan, but it's not terrible.

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clean, semi-hazy, golden amber color with just a bare, thin cap of off-white head that had low retention, but still managed to leave OK lacing.

The aroma was, as expected, nicely hoppy. Mostly a lemony-citrus aspect, without much grain showing through. On the tongue the story was pretty much the same, just amplified. The flavor was a bit tangier than the aroma led me to expect and the citrus lingered on the finish.

The body was a bit thin for what I look for in an IPA, but was average for the style. Drinkability was OK, I found the hop flavors to be a bit one-dimensional. This was (I believe) my first experience with this type of hop, and I found it fairly impressive. Overall, a decent brew that's worth your time.

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

eyes...
fizzy... even on the careful pour, 3 fingers of thick white foam emerge... and hang out, nice foam. lacing is pretty obvious leaving sheets of lace all over the place, slightly murky dark orange hue, the carbonation is sneaky but obviously there, a really fine looking example here.

nose...
grainy brown honeyed hops, bready malts, some really mild pine notes, mild fruitiness, ahhh... reading the bottle reveals this is some kiwi hop variety not the usual suspects. In this case however I think I prefer the more high alpha variety in my IPA (even if that might not have been what they were back in the day of the true original IPAs)

taste etc...
as bubbly as this looks the carbonation feels wrong, not bad per se but just kind of blah, the only cure for this is to drink it right after pouring, if it sits the carbonation really settles away, the hops are pretty mild compared to the higher alpha stuff, they have a nice pleasant fruity tone that is nice enough but a little underwhelming for an IPA. The flavor really has the same notes as the nose so in that sense
it is pretty consistent.

verdict?
ok. nothing special, interesting hop variety but nothing I would go bonkers for. not bad in any way just not great.

3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Elysian Idiot Sauvin IPA, 22 oz bomber: This beer is a deep copper color, with the slightest of reddish tinge. Mostly clear, but chunks of sediment are swirling about. The hops come through in the aroma. Flavor-wise there is a good malt base with a nice hop finish and a bit of bitterness to the aftertaste – standard IPA performance. The hops are a bit one-note, and do not have the subtle complexity of some of the outstanding IPA’s out there. Good effort by Elysian, but not up to the upper tier of quality I expect from a bomber offering.

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a blood orange non see through hue with a creamy two finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is fruit punch,kiwi fruit and sweet malts,the mouthfeel is medium bodied with soft moderate carbonation and has tastes of fruit punch,sweet caramel,berries and finished with a grassy herbal bitterness and overall yeah it ain't nothing out of this wilts and didn't move me so I won't be back cheers.

3.41/5  rDev -11%

Enjoyed out of a brown 22 oz bomber with no discernible dating that I can find. Poured into a 16 oz nonic style tumbler.

Appearance - Pours with a rocky two-finger head with intermittent larger bubbles that begin bursting open, creating a web of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. The heavy head shadows a deep orange body with some hazing and liquid gold highlights where the light filters through.

Smell - Something doesn't sit with me quite right here. The smell isn't terribly appealing, with lots of earthiness and peat, as well as some off-putting vegetal qualities. There are hints of grass and baby greens, but most of what I get is a musty, earthy smell. Not awesome.

Taste - Honestly, a good measure better than the aroma, although the smell definitely impacts the overall taste. Here, the earthiness that was overpowering in the smell creates a hearty, rustic characteristic in the beer. Works well with a pronounced malt balance to offset the hops.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and slighty chewy. Moderate to high carbonation. Slightly bitter finish.

Overall, not my kind of IPA. It's hard to know how to rate a review where it seems clear that I just don't prefer this type of hop. Seems well done to style, but I wouldn't probably buy this again. All that being said, I've loved most everything else I've had from Elysian, so they clearly know what they're doing.

3.46/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured into a pint glass and enjoyed on 2/4/12.

Appearance: Poured into my pint glass with a hazy medium amber color. White head that didn't retain very long, but quite a bit of lacing with this brew.

Smell: Citrus, grapefruit scent to it. Nothing else jumping out of the glass.

Taste: Citrus hops that are clean on the palate and are backed by a light malt sweetness. Finishes easy with average bitterness for an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with easy drinkability and light carbonation.

Overall: Drinkable, above average IPA that showcases its citrus hops.

3.49/5  rDev -8.9%

A - Pours an inch of off-white creamy head with good legs and leaving plenty of lacing. The beer is clear and medium copper in color.

S - The aroma wasn't as powerful as I expected. Even as it warmed it only became slightly more prominent. Floral and fruity notes and a little bit of spiciness are present.

M - Light to medium in body with moderate carbonation.

T - The taste is equal parts floral and fruity with each component competing with the other for dominance. The malt presence is pretty minimal, just a little sweetness, allowing the hops to showcase themselves. There is an earthy bitterness in the finish.

A pretty good beer, as a homebrewer it's great to get to be able to learn about new hop varieties though tasting and smelling.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler from Hawthorne Hophouse. Poured into a shaker glass.

A- Pours a clear reddish orange with a two-finger off-white creamy head. Great lacing and solid retention.

S- Fruity and citrusy from the hops plays in plays in with some sweet malts. It's all wrapped in a slight earthiness. Not bad but nothing special.

T- Not really what I expected from the aroma. More sweet caramel and toffee but the hops are more resinous and earthy. Subtle underlying grapefruit notes. Finishes bitter with hints of pine. Again, not bad but nothing outstanding here.

M- Medium body with light carbonation. Mouthfeel is somewhat slick. Alcohol presence is minimal. Nice bitterness lingers after the sip.

O- An above average IPA. Not a bad choice but I probably won't be going back to this one since there are better options here in the PNW.

3.54/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours two and half fingers of head on a hazy dark straw colored body.
The aroma is mostly pine with some orange.
The taste has a malty start with moderate pine and lemon bitterness quickly following.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
Very enjoyable.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

22 oz bottle into a couple of tulip glasses.

Pours a clear copper, with a finger of bright-white head. This retains with a smooth creaminess, leaving back a rich cascade of lacing which hangs in foamy swathes down the sides of the glass. The aroma smells of soft ripe fruitiness, lemon zest, and herbal tones, which is made more pronounced by the sweetness of the malts. A touch of underlying pine and zesty grapefruit add just a bit of edge to the proceedings.

The taste is similar, with ripe fruit, tarter lemon, and some dank herbal flavors. This gives way to some more assertive notes of zesty earthy bitterness and a light resinous feel that finishes this bitter and a bit piney. Malts soften the edges of the profile and mostly add to the stickiness of the fruit. The mouthfeel medium bodied, with a firm creaminess to the edges and some sharpness on the tongue, with a smooth underlying slickness that keeps this on the easier side of things in the mouth. There is a little warmth to this, which pops the bitterness some.

This was decent but I would have liked to have felt a little more aggressiveness from those hops, as opposed to all of the fruit and herbal flavors that I received (dankness even hangs on the breath at times with some strength). This was certainly enjoyable enough though and I had no problem finishing off my part. Maybe a bottle with a little more freshness on it would have added some more sizzle to this.

3.61/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I am a big fan of Nelson hops, I had to buy this one when I saw it. Poured from a bomber into a pub glass, the brew appears a very hazed color of amber with some chucks stuck in suspension. More than a finger of off-white head appears and slowly fades leaving a webbing of lacework all over the glassware.

The aroma of this brew opens up and is so disjointed. It really is all over the place, there is sulfur, cheese, minerals and something like the smell that emits from a can of drained tuna. As I swirl the glass and the brew opens up, it gives way to the expected character of herbs, fruit and the expected white grape juice. I am digging the way this brew smells, however I am not going to lie, at first whiff this was a bit scarey!

The taste has a pretty serious focus on toasty grain, not quite toffee but almost getting towards that realm. The hops provide a moderate grassy bitterness and a spice that exaggerates that 6% abv. There are herbal flavors present that give way to a touch of something along the lines of chlorine faintly in the background. When focusing on the hops, there is a bit of cheesy quality and very mild white grape note. When I read/think Nelson Sauvin I think big white grapey impact and I am just not getting that in this brew. It is driven primarily by the malt and alcohol with the hops being almost an afterthought in flavor with the bitterness prevaling.

This is a medium bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. I purchased this offering pretty much as soon as I was able to so I dont know if freshness is really a factor here. Regardless, I would try this again if I knew it was a super fresh offering just to make sure this bottle wasn't abused in anyway. I had big hopes going into this and it came up a little shy. Not a bad brew by any means and for the price, I would probably get it again. Worth a try but not something to go far out of your way for.

3.61/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz, poured into DFH Chalice.

A - Beautiful orange body. Straight up amber-orange, crystal clear. Nice finger and a half head, settles to a soapy bone-white coating on top. Lacing is superb.

S - Interesting aroma. Very earthy and subtle. Cat piss, lemon zest, caramel malts.

T - Earthy wave of hops with a subtle bitterness that doesn't slam but lingers. Lemony notes. Very earthy though. Not ever having had a Nelson hopped brew, it is a totally different flavor than I know. Caramel malts are noticeable throughout. I'd say the pissy lemon character is most prevalent.

M - This one has great mouthfeel. It's carbonated very well and is a perfect body for a medium sized IPA.

O - Hard to rate this one relative to the Nelson Sauvin hopped IPA's out there, as this is my first. As an IPA though, it's pretty decent. Might be a great Nelson IPA, but I wouldn't know just yet. Try it out.

3.62/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: orange. Almost clear. Medium, frothy head.
S: fruity. Sweet.
T: malty sweetness. But not too sweet. Orange, pine, and slight floral hop flavors. Slight alcohol taste.
M: medium carbonation. Medium-heavy body. Slight lingering bitterness.
O: good IPA. Not outstanding. Heavy bittering hops and alcohol flavors brought the rating down slightly.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Hazy orange glow with sticky off white head. Hoppy resin nose with sticky sweet nose.

Sweet malt character up front of toffee and caramelized sugar followed by a nice dosing of hops. Super grassy and floral notes with spicy black pepper notes on the back end. Bitterness is low but along with the spicy character the hops provide, it creates a nice balance to the sweet sticky malt. Slick mouthfeel with resinous hop character coating the tongue

Hops add apricot like sweetness upfront followed by spicy black pepper notes. Spicy foods bring out the apricot and black pepper notes even more while allowing the grassy notes to die down.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Off tap this beer was a clear bronze/orange color with a good amount of rising carbonation and a khaki head. The retention was excellent and the lacing in bands. The aroma was hoppy and a bit citrusy. The flavors were very musty with some notes of leather, citrus, roots and earth. Semi-sweet at first but it finished distinctly bitter and quite 'green' tasting overall. It left an oily slick on my tongue. The mouthfeel was creamy and semi-slick, the body medium and the carbonation delicate. I'd be curious to know what hops they used to produce such an oil-heavy and bitter IPA but mostly because I think it was a bit over-done and I'd make a note of those hops for my own homebrewing purposes.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

I believe this is actually a Belgian IPA, as one of the bartenders at the Capital Hill spot told me. He may be wrong though, it didn't seem to be too Belgian.
Dark amber, almost a brown with a beautiful offwhite head. Smells peppery, fruity with a little citrus, some other delicate things going on.
It's nice, good flavors, some crystal malt presence (maybe Special B?), peppery, fairly bitter but not over the top at all. Pretty good now, I really like the way the hops fade into the beer, but the yeast characteristics of this one are still not integrated enough for me. Definitely a beer with promise.

3.69/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a deep golden amber color with a one finger head of just off white foam. The head has a decent level of retention, slowly fading to leave a great level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is on the sweeter side with lots of caramel and some lighter fruit notes of a tropical variety. Along with these are some light aromas of a grapefruit hop as well as a bit of pine.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweeter caramel taste with a little bit of fruity sweetness. Along with these are some lighter grapefruit hop flavors as well as a little bit of earthy hop. As the taste advances some floral hops increase in intensity with the caramel really getting rather strong toward the end of the taste. The earthy ups it up a bit at the end and with a light herbal flavor that also comes to the tongue leaving one with a sweet, but decently hopped IPA flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the medium side with a carbonation level that is average. The mid range body and carbonation are quite nice for the easy drinking nature of the brew, all while upholding the hop and sweeter flavors nicely.

Overall – A rather easy drinking but quite tasty IPA. Not too high in abv. with a nice blend of hops. While nothing super out of the ordinary, it is rather tasty and at least worth one try.

Savant from Elysian Brewing Company