Trip VII - Elysian Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Elysian Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

American Black Ale |  8.60% ABV

(Beer added by: ccrida on 01-13-2011)
Reviews by ccrida:
3.1/5  rDev +36.6%

"Winter here, summer there. A Black Belgo IPA brewed with Mexican dark roast malt and Chilean roasted barely with Brazilian black sugar in the boil. Bittered with Argentinian Cascade hops and finished with El Dorado whole hops. 8.6% by volume."

On draught at Elysian Fields, Trip VII is blackish brown with a small light tan head that leaves light, scattered lace.

Smell is Belgian IPA, earthy, herbal hops, but with a sweet dark malt backbone.

Taste is okay, the hops are pretty robust, something about the flavor is a bit jarring, very herbal, leafy. Not too sweet, but the dark malt is clearly there. There an acrid, somewhat astringent finish that I'm attributing the black sugar (if it tastes like burnt sugar). The malt is substantial enough that this drinks like a hoppy Belgian porter.

Mouthfeel is a thick and malty.

Drinkability is ok, an unusual beer for sure, so worth trying. I'm just not sure it's worth revisiting. There's a obviously a reason why South American beers are well regarded, and I suspect it has to do with the ingredients, which seem a bit sharp here. Not bad, but probably my least favorite trip. I like the concept though of the hoppy Belgian porter, just not the recipe design. Something about the hops here are not working for me, both in the nose and mouth.

ccrida, Jan 13, 2011
1.83/5  rDev -19.4%

The beer appears solid black with a small dark tan head.

It oddly smells just like overly sweet bubble gum. I mean that is almost the only thing I can smell. If I try hard I also get a bit of a raw alcohol smell. It hurts my nose when I smell it.

After smelling it I am a little afraid to try it.

Luckily it does not taste much like it smells. But it still does not taste very good. I get a bit of a bitter flavor, a fruity peppery overbearing yeasty flavor. There is an odd sweet orange flavor. I really do not get any smoky or roasty flavors that I associate with the style. This is pretty nasty.

The carbonation is low and there is a somewhat smooth mouthfeel to the beer.

The drinkability is very limited. This is a harsh funky ale that does not taste like any dark ale I have ever had before.

Overall be weary when trying this. In my opinion I would ask for a sampler of this before you order it.

chumba526, Feb 06, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Poured a deep m urky brown with a small head

S: Smell is Belgian, sordove tannic note, off and funky

T: Taste is down right bad. I immediately decJded not to finish this beer. A tannic, funky, not sure where this beer was going feel and taste. just bad and awkard.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit bad and creamy. Besides the bad tastes, thin body I dont know what else to say

D: Avoid at all cost

barleywinefiend, Jan 23, 2011
Trip VII from Elysian Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.