Space Dust IPA - Elysian Brewing Company

Elysian Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

Beer added by: corby112 on 08-06-2012

Reviews: 163 | Hads: 1,125

Where do I begin? You don't just drink this IPA, you experience it. When poured, presents a wonderfully cloudy appearance, soft white head, ethereal taste, and warm feelings throughout one's person. To say I would drink this again is an understatement.

I'm not into rating beers, but Space Dust IPA on cask is one of the best IPA's. I've had Pliny, Heady, Hopslam, etc., but if you are in Seattle and can find it, consider yourself LUCKY!

I had this as I was drinking a sculpin grapefruit ipa and wow. Obviously different but this would give heady topper and road to ruin a run for its money

This beer will be my new go-to IPA if I can just find more stores in this area that stock it. A fantastic IPA. The amarillo really stands out in the aroma along with quite a bit earthy notes. The aroma follows up on the taste: a bitter full bodied mouthfeel with notes of pineapple and tropical fruit. Absolutely delicous. Goes down way too easy so watch out because it's on the higher ABV side.

This beer is awesome. Get dusted.

4.99/5  rDev +22.9%

Awesome. Even better than the Immortal IPA, which is saying something. The 8.2% is nothing on a beer crafted by the Elysian masterminds. Well worth the extra dollar for an exceptional Seattle based IPA.
Honestly everything I want in an IPA.
Will come back and evaluate the qualities (since I know I will be buying this one again ; )

Also the label and name are amazing! The six pack cardboard has shiny!

4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

Wow this beer is one of my favorites. It has hops for days. Delicious hop hopforwardness! It's like grapefruit sculpin but it doesn't use grapefruit! Hop goodness all day!

4.81/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer. It was a bit better the first time it was released as a special release. I would give it a 5 if they hadn't sold to the big bad Beer Conglomerate.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

Love. Love. LOVE this beer.

I am so stoked that Elysian decided to make this a regular six-pack distributed beer because it will certainly become one of my regularly rotated IPA's.
If you're in the mood for a hop-bomb but not the same ol' same ol' then I recommend this beer. It has the basic citrus and flaurel feel of a West-coast, Northwest IPA. So crisp, so refreshing, seems so drinkable but it is a 7.20% abv so watch out for that.
I love Elysian. I love their style. and I really love this IPA.

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle, brewed on Oct. 16/14

The limited distribution (thus far) and slightly higher price may keep this beer from getting widely sampled by the masses.....their loss.
Great recipe, tremendous execution. Crisp, clean, and a real tribute to the Amarillo dry hop, in it's glory. This is a must-try IPA...now my favorite beer, hands down. Get some.
Feb. 5.2015: Just found out that Elysian sold out to A-B, the Great Beer Satan. Sadly, Elysian is now dead to me. There are many other beer craftsmen deserving of encouragement and support.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 32oz growler into a Tulip. Hazy copper with a nice frothy head. First impression was the beautiful aroma! Ahhh. Hops and fruit are lingering all about! First sip...nice mouthfeel, good carbonation, fruity & piney hops. Just enough bitter on the finish but doesn't ruin the flavor of this excellent IPA. Well done Elysian. I like!

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

The look, smell, taste, and feel of this beer are all top quality. Looks rich and delicious, smells rich and delicious, tastes rich and delicious and feels (you guessed it) rich and delicious.

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Really tasty IPA. Had it on draft at the Harbor House in Bainbridge Island, WA. I have been drinking a lot of Pliny the Elder lately and this compares favorably. Very easy to drink IPA

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had the pleasure of having this beer from the tap and from the bottle. When from the bottle, I poured into a pint glass. The color is a real golden color with at least a half inch of thick white head. The smell is very aromatic. Lots of citrus up front. As far as the taste, the first notes I got was a mixture between bright piney hops and citrus. In more detail, big grapefruit notes come after the swallow and stick around. Hops are up front but not over powering. As the beer warms the flavors intensify and become a little more complex.
This is a very well balanced IPA with great smell and flavor. One of my favorites for sure.

4.61/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Elysian Brewing Co. "Space Dust IPA"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, no freshness dating
$2.49 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden body with darker orange areas beneath a rocky head of off-white. Excellent head retention and very good lacing.

Aroma: Tropical and citrusy fruits, including soft grapefruit and lime, pineapple, peach, melon, guava, papaya, and lychee. Some 'chalky' citrus pith and pine also make an appearance. Despite its tropical and citrusy side, it's not brash or sharp, but quite smooth and even a bit floral. Really nice. The complexity is enough to keep your interest throughout the whole glass.

Flavor: As might be expected, everything found in the nose turns up at one point or another in the flavor; and not unlike the aroma it's quite nicely balanced and polished. The malt acts as a softly sweet trampoline for the hops to bounce on, and that's anchored by short, taught lines of bitterness which keeps everything from falling over. The alcohol never steps any further forward than would be expected of a beer at 8.2%, and what is there is actually welcome as it lends a subtle spritz of liveliness. It finishes dry with lingering fruit, and a bit more pine than you find upfront. Interestingly, the 'chalky' citrus pith doesn't come on as strong as the aroma suggests it might (which is nice).

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied leaning towards the lighter side with a fine-bubbled, moderate-medium carbonation that's just enough to liven the mouth without accentuating the bitterness and acidity.

Overall: Pretty impressive! It's unique in it's hop character, and it's got gusto but it's also really balanced and polished leaving it remarkably drinkable. Couple that with the fact that it's pretty darned complex and you've got a winner on your hands. This beer is proof that you don't need to use hops as a 'punch' or a 'slap' to make a great IPA; and that just adding hops doesn't do it either, there needs to be a certain amount of forethought and calculation to it.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is quite possibly my favorite beer. I first tried it on tap; the taste is so unique that the name goes well with this beer. Drinking this with or without a meal is perfect because it's not overpowering once you near the end of the bottle like some IPAs do. I like drinking it cold out of the bottle while reading some science fiction.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a wonderful IPA - one of the best I've tried in years. And, perhaps one of the most singularly drinkable beers I've had.

Nice to look at and smells wonderfully. However, the real win here is the amazing flavor profile of sweet, bitter and luscious. The mouth feel is fantastic. This is one of the best balanced and most drinkable beers on the market. My opinion - I love this one.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light golden color with a moderately thick foamy head with bubbly lacing that retains well. The aroma hits you with a strong citric hops that is prevalent throughout the drink. The taste is like a hops explosion in your taste buds! Great feel; medium bodied and slightly chewy, moderate carbonation, very drinkable.
After a long day at work, I stopped by one of my go to spots and picked out, among others, two IPAs. I had decided that I wanted to kick back with something that gave me a nice hops kick in aroma and taste. I randomly chose this one and am not disappointed in the slightest. Will definitely get again!!

4.56/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I am a recent Hoosier transplant to central Maryland (see username). Like any proud transplant, I compare all new things to the best in the midwest. When talking about beer that means all breweries get compared to Three Floyds, Bells, Founders, and Brugge and all beers to their beers. Unfortunately, it typically isn't worth the effort to compare IPAs and APAs to Three Floyd's Zombie Dust because it is simply too good. That said, Space Dust shares more in common with Zombie Dust than half of its name. Space Dust sported that familiar fresh, citrusy aroma and bitter hoppiness that I love in Zombie Dust. I'd say the biggest difference between the two beers is that Space Dust is actually available for purchase!! (Zombie Dust is simply too hard to find.)

4.51/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a slightly hazy orange-amber.

Smells of oranges, pineapple, and pine.

Very refreshing. All of the flavors are light on the tongue but have a strong backbone
And are very well balanced. The alcohol is hidden well. Kind of feel like I'm drinking a
session ipa. The piney orange dominates with a strong bitter weight on the bulk of my tongue. Great mouthfeel. Overall a solid delicious ipa.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good beer. Tastes like candy. And for once, I don't remember ever saying this... but the nose does not do this beer justice. The taste is fantastic. Almost candy like. Very very well balanced. The only thing I wish this had was some nose to it. Maybe even a bigger bite at the end. But all in all, it's a great beer. I want a DIPA version.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Due South Brewing Co. snifter. This bottle doesn't have a date but I'm pretty sure one of the other bottles in the six-pack said Bottled On: 07/30/15.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/4 inch off-white head that retains a bit before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves a broken ring behind.

S- Dank, grassy and somewhat catty hop aroma bursts from the glass bringing some notes of grapefruit. Slightly boozy.

T- Solid bitterness combined with a heavy dose of citrus making for more grapefruit notes. Drinkability is high and so is the flavor intensity. Juicy, assertive and tasty.

M- Tangy, zesty and bright. Medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the lighter side.

O- This IPA packs a lot of punch. Lots of hops and strength delicately balanced into one package. And speaking of packaging: A delicious 8.2% IPA in a six-pack for ~$13? I'll take it!

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip. Golden-orange in color with a slight haze. One finger, sudsy head. Smells immediately of grapefruit and orange. Then a piney, resinous under note. Flavor is much the same. Good light-medium body. Overall a very good beer. In my top 5.

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Offered this at my favorite local spot. I was told this is right up my alley

A- a hazy darkened orange is completely blurred with color, but the presence is clear. A hoppy presentation is in the midst

S- whoa! Mango and massive tropical fruit components make up a NOT expected scent profile. Spiked with citra hops, this reminds me of fresh mango Abner from hill farmstead. Very bizarre that the scent is that impressive. Wow

T- delicious tropical components mingle with a great piney flavor profile. This is very impressive as a fresh brew. I feel like I'm in Vermont right now. There is a caramel malt finish that closes out the hop experience, but that's ok.

M- prickly flavors with the right carbonation

O- my favorite young lady bought this for me on the last day if may in 2013. She said it would be right up my alley and she is right! What a tropical hoppy brew. Again, I feel like this is the distant pal to Abner at hill farmstead

4.41/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at SD Brewco, poured into pint glass.

A: Copper-tan and clear, the little head that forms leaves lacing all over.

S: Wet, citrusy hop-essence. Big citrusy notes, with cotton-candy sweetness balancing the bouquet.

T: A lot going on for an IPA. Almost malt-forward and candy-like, the hops yield a fruity, floral, tropical profile. Almost no bitterness. Caramelly malts mute any astringent aspects from coming through, but the sip never becomes cloying. Medium mouthfeel and ample carbonation keeps the palate cleansed between sips. Medium finish with lingering orange-sweetness.

One of the more surprisingly tasty beers I've tried in a long time. I've always liked Elysian, but this beer is pretty remarkable. Really drinkable, but doesn't taste like any other IPA.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: medium gold and clear; got a coupla fingers of fluffy head that left lace spattered down the glass

S: fresh, wet pale grain malts, bright flowery pine and citrus

T: crisp hop bitterness - flowers bringing bitter citric pith with mild pine resin undertones to the finish

M: sharp and tight, gets fuller as it crosses the tongue; smooth finish with a lingering shellac of bitterness; medium-bodied and moderately carbonated; creamy close...

O: super nice IPA - hits all the marks - hop-forward drinking, packing a solid 7.2 abv...

Space Dust IPA from Elysian Brewing Company