2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

The Gourdfather - Elysian Brewing Company

The Gourdfather
No picture uploaded.

Elysian Brewing Company visit their website
Washington, United States

American Barleywine |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Rifugium on 10-07-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 17 | Reviews: 4 | Show All Ratings:
oline73

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

I had this on-tap at Max's during Baltimore beer week. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy amber color with a small ring of creamy off white head around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Rather sweet. I'm getting brown sugar with some dark fruit and a mild pumpkin spice like smell. There seems to be a slightly tart note here as well.

Taste: This is a very smooth and warming barleywine. There is some heat from the alcohol throughout the sip. The sweetness reminds me of brown sugar, which goes quite nicely with the pumpkin. The finish is slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: The body is just on the syrupy side of medium with a good amount of tingly carbonation and a dry finish. Very nice.

Overall: I thought this was a very nice barleywine. I would be even nicer with some more age. The pumpkin went rather well with the brown sugar sweetness.

11-06-2012 22:58:22 | More by oline73
jaasen64

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

On-tap at Cambridge Brewing Co.'s Great Pumpkin Festival. Reviewed from two 4oz. servings. Poured into Festival Pint Glass.

A- Pours a dark slightly translucent brownish slightly orange amber. Pretty much no head and doesn't really leave much lacing.

S- Sweet caramel candy like malts, pumpkin, yams, some light hops. Slightly above average aroma strength and fairly nice autumn candy-like smell that avoided being too sweet.

T- Sweet caramel candy malts, pumpkin, yams. Fairly sweet, not boozey at all, pumpkin balances well with the sweet malts to make an unusual but interesting barleywine.

M- Medium bodied, a little bit thin for a barleywine, abv very well hidden, very drinkable for a barleywine.

O- This was a very interesting barleywine that I liked a lot conceptually. When I first tried it I was pleasantly surprised and thought it was quite tasty. It's definitely not like your typical barleywine and there are a lot of nice sweet but not overly sweet flavors that come out that make for a tasty beer that hid the alcohol very well. That being said in terms of barelywine quality this wasn't anything spectacular. I had a glass as my first beer and had another as my last beer. When I started getting down towards the bottom of the last glass I definitely didn't enjoy it as much. I would try this again in the future but probably not too soon. I definitely recommend trying it out.

10-29-2012 03:27:20 | More by jaasen64
beertunes

Washington

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in tulip. Poured a lightly cloudy dark amber color with a thin cap of light tan head that had low retention and lacing.

The aroma was mostly sweet malts, no real pumpkin presence, with just a little bit of spiciness. The taste was basically the same, the gourd did show through a bit more, but not so much as to be annoying or cloying. It was actually good, even for a pumpkin hater like me.

The body was full, smooth and even. Drinkability was good, I'd actually have this again. Overall, this is probably my favorite pumpkin beer of the ones I've tried. A must try if you see it.

10-25-2012 19:21:31 | More by beertunes
Rifugium

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

First had: on tap at City Tap House, Philly, PA

Listed as a pumpkin barleywine with an "?" ABV.

Poured into a Unibroue goblet, The Gourdfather was a murky burnt orange liquid with a fuzzy off white head that retained as a thick ringlet and left a bit of lacing on the glass. Aroma was thick with phenols, sweet malts, caramel, lesser notes of pumpkin flesh. Taste was pretty sweet and slick, stone fruits, a pretty generous hit of raisins, pumpkin, medicinal phenols, maybe a little harsh, but about right for the style. As the beer warmed a little, this mash of flavors became something distinctly resembling candy corn. Neat. Mouthfeel was pretty smooth, fuller side of medium-bodied, alcohol was definitely there, and I'd guess it at somewhere between 8-10%, but I can't say for sure...if it was more, then it was well-concealed. Pretty nice overall, but not something I'd go back for.

10-07-2012 21:06:25 | More by Rifugium