The Gourdfather - Elysian Brewing Company

Washington, United States

American Barleywine |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Rifugium on 10-07-2012

The Gourdfather is a pumpkin barleywine you can’t refuse, mellowing with age but still reminding you who’s boss. A veritable pushcart of malt bill brings pale, Munich, Cara-hell, Cara-vienne, C-15 crystal and pumpkin seeds up against a rival neighborhood armed with Magnum hops. At 23.4 Plato starting gravity and 11.2% alcohol it’ll keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
to view more.
Ratings: 36 | Reviews: 7
4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

On tap at Beermongers. I really liked this quite a bit, as I also thought the pumpkin flavor blended in very well with the brown sugar and caremel from the BW. If memory serves, I think this was a one year old keg, and as others have mentioned, this does indeed seem like a beer that would age well. Very smooth, long and delicius, with just a trace of heat from the abv .on the finish.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Great Malt Flavors Balanced by Nice Hops and Pumpkin Spices. Drinks much better than the BA score IMO.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

1/2 snifter tonight at Bittercreek... Pours a clear orange.. No real head or lacing... Thick maple syrup on the nose, subtle spicing and a decent EtOH smack.. Flavor has the same maple syrup element, thick and definitely warming.. This seems like a liquid distilled maple baked yam... a little boozy and sweet and certainly too thick and syrupy, but delivers on everything I think the brewers were hoping for... This one should be put in bottles... Very nice.

3.5/4/3.75/3.5/3.75

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

I had this on-tap at Max's during Baltimore beer week. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy amber color with a small ring of creamy off white head around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Rather sweet. I'm getting brown sugar with some dark fruit and a mild pumpkin spice like smell. There seems to be a slightly tart note here as well.

Taste: This is a very smooth and warming barleywine. There is some heat from the alcohol throughout the sip. The sweetness reminds me of brown sugar, which goes quite nicely with the pumpkin. The finish is slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: The body is just on the syrupy side of medium with a good amount of tingly carbonation and a dry finish. Very nice.

Overall: I thought this was a very nice barleywine. I would be even nicer with some more age. The pumpkin went rather well with the brown sugar sweetness.

3.82/5  rDev -1%

On-tap at Cambridge Brewing Co.'s Great Pumpkin Festival. Reviewed from two 4oz. servings. Poured into Festival Pint Glass.

A- Pours a dark slightly translucent brownish slightly orange amber. Pretty much no head and doesn't really leave much lacing.

S- Sweet caramel candy like malts, pumpkin, yams, some light hops. Slightly above average aroma strength and fairly nice autumn candy-like smell that avoided being too sweet.

T- Sweet caramel candy malts, pumpkin, yams. Fairly sweet, not boozey at all, pumpkin balances well with the sweet malts to make an unusual but interesting barleywine.

M- Medium bodied, a little bit thin for a barleywine, abv very well hidden, very drinkable for a barleywine.

O- This was a very interesting barleywine that I liked a lot conceptually. When I first tried it I was pleasantly surprised and thought it was quite tasty. It's definitely not like your typical barleywine and there are a lot of nice sweet but not overly sweet flavors that come out that make for a tasty beer that hid the alcohol very well. That being said in terms of barelywine quality this wasn't anything spectacular. I had a glass as my first beer and had another as my last beer. When I started getting down towards the bottom of the last glass I definitely didn't enjoy it as much. I would try this again in the future but probably not too soon. I definitely recommend trying it out.

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in tulip. Poured a lightly cloudy dark amber color with a thin cap of light tan head that had low retention and lacing.

The aroma was mostly sweet malts, no real pumpkin presence, with just a little bit of spiciness. The taste was basically the same, the gourd did show through a bit more, but not so much as to be annoying or cloying. It was actually good, even for a pumpkin hater like me.

The body was full, smooth and even. Drinkability was good, I'd actually have this again. Overall, this is probably my favorite pumpkin beer of the ones I've tried. A must try if you see it.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

First had: on tap at City Tap House, Philly, PA

Listed as a pumpkin barleywine with an "?" ABV.

Poured into a Unibroue goblet, The Gourdfather was a murky burnt orange liquid with a fuzzy off white head that retained as a thick ringlet and left a bit of lacing on the glass. Aroma was thick with phenols, sweet malts, caramel, lesser notes of pumpkin flesh. Taste was pretty sweet and slick, stone fruits, a pretty generous hit of raisins, pumpkin, medicinal phenols, maybe a little harsh, but about right for the style. As the beer warmed a little, this mash of flavors became something distinctly resembling candy corn. Neat. Mouthfeel was pretty smooth, fuller side of medium-bodied, alcohol was definitely there, and I'd guess it at somewhere between 8-10%, but I can't say for sure...if it was more, then it was well-concealed. Pretty nice overall, but not something I'd go back for.

to view more.