IPA - Pump House Brewery

IPAIPA

Pump House Brewery visit their website
New Brunswick, Canada

Our classic west coast style IPA is hoppy, fruity and citrusy with a fantastic caramel malt backbone keeping it well balanced. Tawny amber coloured and medium bodied with a long lingering finish. Fantastic with spicy foods or tangy salads. 80 IBU's.

(Beer added by: MMansfield on 02-12-2007)
Reviews by djcreepshow:

djcreepshow, Apr 29, 2014
3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

341ml bottle, 6.5% ABV. Simple paper label, which for some reason resonates with me, perhaps because of its resemblance to old-school hockey jerseys.

This beer pours a clear, medium orange-brick amber hue, with two flabby fingers of puffy and tightly foamy ecru head, which leaves a bit of patchy, sudsy lace in spots around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of semi-sweet bready caramel malt, nougat, a touch of treacle, orange cream, lemon and grapefruit bitters, and some increasingly prominent floral, almost perfumed (gee, I wonder why?) hops. The taste is softly bitter grapefruit and orange flesh, sweet caramel/toffee malt, more candy-bar nougat goodness, an indistinct darker fruitiness, and leafy, floral, and mildly spicy hops.

The carbonation is quite low-key, and innocuous in its ethereal frothiness, the body a decently solid medium weight, and rather smooth, the malt muffling the hops' meek attempt at insurrection here. It finishes on the sweet side, the slow burning story more about the complex and complicated malt than any kind of hoppy kick to the teeth.

Another example of the pain we Canucks must endure in defining many of our well-made, homegrown IPAs - are they English, or are they American? Well, often, they are neither, in fact they fall predictably somewhere in the middle - very much like the rest of our perceptible culture. Let's just call this tasty, then - more malty than hoppy (but still with oodles 'n oodles of both), and worthy of the Canadian proto-style, in spades.

biboergosum, Jul 22, 2014
3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

Hand bottled by brewer Greg Nash and generously given one by Jon. ALl the characteristics of a good high IBU American style IPA. Except that the taste was somewhat muted, still enjoyable: Aroma of C-hops, taste of grapefruit,decent mouthfeel, and certainly most drinkable. Nice appearance.

Sammy, May 10, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

juliendesrochers, Aug 23, 2013
3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

This was one of the seasonals when I visited. A thin cream coloured head atop a fairly clear orange brown body.

Low on smell, too low. Just a hint of citrus on toffee. Really too faint to dig into.

Caramel maltiness up front followed by a medium citrus hoppiness. Finishes with a cracker like crispness. Not bad, but I was looking for something a bit hoppier.

Light bodied, nearing watery, with medium carbonation.

Not very impressive. Felt more to me like a standard pale ale. As fare as IPA's go, I'd pass on this one.

elricorico, Jul 15, 2008

advertised at the brewpub as their version of a west-coast style ipa, the bartender warned that it was extremely bitter - yes please!

a: shaker pint, medium amber in colour, good head with average retention

s: moderately malty with a resionous citrus and pine hop aroma, a little rough on the surface but pretty nice

m: medium-full body, carbonation light-medium

t: moderate malty structure with an intense west-coast hop flavor, some sweet caramel, enamel stripping bitter - this gets thrown around alot, but this thing is an absolute bitter bomb, a touch rustic but enjoyable so

d: the bitterness builds with each sip, both reward and punishment at once, limits drinkability some but I do like

draft at the brewpub in Moncton, reviewed from notes

blackie, Jul 22, 2010

CurtisD, Oct 07, 2012

DoubleMalt, Sep 10, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Bought a pack at the local liquor branch, was debating my regular buy or this. Decided to support local and due to pumphouse from Moncton NB always being consistent in quality and value. Bought a 6-pack and drank straight from bottle.

Look: At first glance, Bottle looked like it was made in a basement, with cheap labelling. LAbel actually looks nice for some odd reason of its cheap paper quality and off-level label. cant judge a book by its cover. Bottle is mostly opaque, can't tell color of liquid inside.

Smell: yeast, malty, some sort of fruit... plums?

Taste: first sip gives way to sweetness. A fruit becomes instantly apparent.. then to bitterness, kinda like the opposite of sour patch kids. Hops' bitterness definitely apparent, but not overwhelming. Light compared to some other IPA and hop beers I've tried. slightly layered, with a hoppy front and matly sweet overtone or background. Nice balance.

Mouthfeel: not too heavy, not too light. medium. Well maybe a little on the lighter side for an IPA, but boldness is apparent so we can't call it light. slightly thick with apparent carbonation. Not too heavy or boozy but alcohol can be deduced if sought out.

Overall: I like this beer. I was skeptical due to it being cheaper and the label is rather unique, but nice. Moncton Pump house breweries is consistent in delivering taste and value. I wouldn't label this a top beer out there, but one I will buy again and enjoy. My fave style so far is IPA, the hoppyness is amicable, and the maltiness gives good balance and sweetness that wants you to take another drink. I would recommend, and is the best beer in this style i've tried. Boundary ale was my favorite, and this beer offers a slight different experience from the latter, less citrus and more sweetness. Kinda like if you would mix Innis and gunn with Boundary. Just my opinion. Okay so, good, tasty, recommended, will buy again, that's all you need to hear. Impressed!

Organdrew, Sep 13, 2014

A: Poured with a very decent-sized, white head with fairly good lasting power. Body is a dark orange color, and hazy.

S: Mostly citrusy hops, with a touch of grapefruit coming through as well.

T: This IPA has a long duration for flavor, with an extremely bitter finish. Citrus and fruit in there, but it's the hops that shine through. Very West-coast-like!

M: Medium-bodied and creamy, with average carbonation.

D: A really interesting and tasty IPA; I must admit, I was surprised Pump House would make an IPA this strong and hoppy. I was quite impressed, even on a second tasting. Something I'd like to see them bottle in the future.

berley31, Oct 21, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Cloudy with orange hued dark amber color. Very good head; recedes in a rocky fashion, leaving plenty of streaky lace.

Excellent fresh hop aroma. Floral.

Peppery hop bite (perfect for the hot wings I'm having). Good body with a predictable carbonation.  Pale malt base belies the darker color. Long aftertaste, not as fresh as I had hoped.

smcolw, Aug 20, 2012

johnnnniee, Jul 18, 2014
4.98/5  rDev +32.1%

This beer came highly suggested by a good friend of mine. Enjoyed on tap at the Pump House Brewery.

A - Served in my own mug (I am a Mug Club Member) with a generous head. Because of the ceramic mug, I am unable to review the body at this sitting. Head was light yellow/straw.

S - Lemon zest meets coriander. Beautiful aroma which lasts long on the nose.

T - Impressive. Starts off floral and extremely hoppy. Continues to medium malt with ongoing bitterness. Finishes long with some carbonation and more bitterness. Note: I love bitterness.

O - I have had some IPAs which have been well-reviewed and highly suggested. This ranks near the top. I love the over-the-top hoppiness but the malt body keeps the bitterness from being overwhelming in my opinion. Would match this up against many of the West Coast IPAs I've had. Cheers

Matchmike, Jun 08, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

500 ml swingtop care of NASH, poured two of these into the sweet 1 liter schooner mug he also sent me. Kick ass!

Pours a cloudy dark reddish amber, some brown highlights, very thick and tight off white head forms, very creamy, slowly settles to a thick ring and layer, drops a shit ton of lace on the glass, looks pretty good. Smell is nice, some light pine and grapefruit, touch of pineapple, some caramel sweetness, sugary, lightly toasty, bready, lightly floral, nice hoppiness to it. Taste is similar, sweet at first, some caramel, light graininess, nice grapefruit hop kick, lemony, pineapple, bit of floral hopping, slightly herbal and medicinal bitterness in the finish, but quite assertive and enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation, not the most flavourful or complex IPA, but nicely balanced and very drinkable. Good stuff, thanks Greg!

Viggo, May 08, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -8.5%

Yes, it's called Indian Pale Ale, not India Pale Ale. I had this on tap at Maxwell's Plum in Halifax. According to the Pump House website it's a seasonal release only on tap.

Appearance: Arrives a hazy copper/rust colour with bone white head, leaving a good lacey layer. Bad pour as usually meant only a 1/4 in head.

Aroma: Despite pour, you can get lots of florals with a bit of bready malt and plenty of fruit.

Taste: Where are the hops? They're there, but I was disapointed, I certainly expected a hop bomb but got a very malty, fruity version of an IPA. Notes of honey and blueberries.

Mouthfeel: Very typical. Had some body, smooth and quaffable.

Final Statement: I ordered a Murphys Irish Red next, but received another one of these, I didn't bother complaining. That's my opinion on this beer, I would never go out of my way to not drink it, but I'd stick with other IPA's other than this malt heavy one.

MMansfield, Feb 12, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

had a pitcher of this at Maxwell's Plum in Halifax

A quite hazy brownish orange with a two finger head that just stays there slowly falling to an island and just coated my glass with lace right to the bottom of the glass

S big grapefruity hop bomb with some tangerine, sweet malt, toffee and a slight floral aspect. A big surprise with this one smells great a West Coast from the East Coast

T more big hop flavors but not quite as strong in the mouth but still quite good

M a little flat and not as thick as I would like but it leaves some grit on your gums and the flavors hang out for a while

D I really liked this beer I nearly took down the jug on my own in no time

very unexpected winner with this one, after seeing it's 7.1%alc I give it even more props because the whole time I thought I was drinking a low booze IPA. I can't remember any of Pump House brews being this good perhaps it's time for a refresher course.

wordemupg, Oct 12, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

hopsolutely, Mar 29, 2013

Ivanhoes_Backpack, Jul 03, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +26%

HangingJohnny, Nov 16, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

Just disappointing. A poor IPA.

HaliHops, Aug 29, 2014