1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel - Erdinger Weissbräu

Erdinger Weissbier DunkelErdinger Weissbier Dunkel

good

Erdinger Weissbräu visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2001)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel Alström Bros
Ratings: 897 | Reviews: 549 | Show All Ratings:
becktone

1.55/5  rDev -58.6%

Not expecting too much considering what I thought of its brother...

Eye: Dark dark brown in color with brown highlights. Again, the head here is pretty pitiful for a wheat brew...just a film with no lacing.

Nose: A little bit of roasted/toasted dark grains, other than that nothing really. Not very potent, no complexity, no phenols or esters. Something that reminds me of tomato soup...I know its weird, perhaps my nose and other senses are off today.

Tongue: Pretty bland in flavor. I mean there is a bit of roasted/toasted dark grains in there, but not much else. Carbonation gets in the way of the flavor, makes it real hard to taste anything. I mean, this is just piss poor, it doesn't suck, but still it is a big let down. It has very little flavor.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: This beer is over carbonated. So much so that it interferes with the flavor of the brew. Carbonation is sharp and quickly foams up in the mouth. However, the bottle could've been infected, but still... As to drinkability...I will not be buying this beer again. It just plain sucks, overall it has no redeeming qualities. I won't say avoid it but I will caution the buyer-"caveat emptor"- this is a poor brew, not only stylistically but all around. Poor appearance, poor taste, poor mouthfeel, and the drinkability, well I'll never buy it again.

08-25-2007 02:40:00 | More by becktone
mrasskicktastic

2.03/5  rDev -45.7%

Appearance - Pours deep brown with a low transmission depth and thick two finger frothy tan head that takes forever to fade and leaves no lacing behind. Mix in the yeast, and no appearance change.

Smell - A very faint odor that smells a little like club soda and a bit of malt. None of the usual fruity esters and spice odors I've come to expect. I wouldn't call a club soda odor unpleasant, but it is definitely not impressive.

Taste - Ummm, it tastes like club soda and alcohol. Underneath there is a bit of malt and some bitter fruity notes in the finish, but I can barely pick this out at all. It isn't really bad, it's just extremely weak. As it warms more malt and a characterless bitter aftertaste are revealed.

Mouthfeel - Very high carbonation makes it extremely frothy. It is thin. It is superficially refreshing, but moments after I swallow, my saliva feels thick and parched.

Drinkability - This is a wheat beer, even dunkel weizens go down incredibly smooth and easy. It isn't like I will have difficulty finishing this, but this particular dunkel weizen I will never buy again. Disappointing.

16.9 oz bottle. Exp - 12/2005

08-18-2005 20:26:27 | More by mrasskicktastic
Quaffer

Nevada

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

16.9 oz. bottle. Picked this up in Kansas City. Not available here in Wichita. Best before next month.

Appearance: This is by far the darkest dunkel hefe that I have ever seen. Even held up to the light, there is just a murky, brown glow around the edges of the glass. The head rose up big and coarse and dissipated very quickly. There was no lacing at all.

Smell: The main component of the smell was a syrupy sweetness. This was backed up by some dark fruits and a little bit of roasted malt. Hints of yeast. Very light in the aroma department, overall.

Mouthfeel: Extremely heavy carbonation at first, though it didn't make the beer too rough. This calmed down after awhile. Slightly chewy at times and medium bodied. On other drinks, very thin and light bodied. It came across as a little watery on the finish. Very strange how it seemed to change from drink to drink.

Taste: Light in flavor. Corn and caramel sweetness dominated. The yeast came across as dry and musty. There was not much else to this one.

Very odd and unimpressive. There just wasn't much there, both in flavor and aroma. The musty yeast flavor was really distracting. I didn't finish this one, not because it was bad (well, the mustiness got old pretty quickly) but because I didn't want to waste my time. Knowing that I could have finished it kept it from getting a "one" for drinkability.

I love dunkelweizens; I did not like this beer.

12-29-2004 20:26:30 | More by Quaffer
plaztikjezuz

2.4/5  rDev -35.8%

tasted at the classic wines annual beer tasting earlier this year, i am reviewing this from my notes.
was served a deep mohogany sample with no head.
the aroma was clovey, chocolate.
the flavor was malty, then in my notes there is a horizontal line followed by this sucks!
think that sums it up.

08-30-2006 04:05:34 | More by plaztikjezuz
bobhits

Kentucky

2.42/5  rDev -35.3%

Pours a hazed brown color, opaque in the glass and a very nice thick creamy foam head.

A good hefe nose of bananas, cloves, sweet malts, but there’s a higher sharper note at the finish.

5.6%? You gotta be kidding me. This beer packs not just a lot of flavor, but a heck of a lot of alcohol taste. This one comes off very spicy and really nothing like a dark hef. Caramel malts and citrus hops all subdued by the yeast flavors.

A bit over carbonated, nothing out of style but lacks the pillow/cream body that I so much enjoy in the better Hefs.

There’s a date of 3/2012 so this should be considered fresh enough, but I feel like something has gone wrong here. This just seems off especially for the always by the book Germans.

11-01-2011 00:49:50 | More by bobhits
Onibubba

Kentucky

2.45/5  rDev -34.5%

Did a little Dunkel side by side last night with this, Weihenstephaner, Julius Echter, and Franziskaner. All four were nearly identical in pour and appearance. All got a full aggressive pour with the yeast, cause that's how I like em. This gave the beers a somewhat (but not too) cloudy nut brown color. Head on all was present, but short lasting.

Smell was similar in all four beers, with a yeasty banana bread and almost medicinal clove aroma. Not as pronounced in this one though.

Taste was kind of off. Sour banana? Bready and yeasty, clovey, yes, but a bit off-putting. Something in this beer is not geling. Taste is more sour and medicinal on top of the other flavors. Putting this one aside...

Mouthfeel is thin. Carbonation is noticeable. Does not lend itself to big gulps like the JE and the Franz. Not terrible, just not great. Drinkability would be fine if I could get past the taste, but I can't. This stood out significantly on the downside from the other 3 Dunkels. I will not buy this again.

12-05-2006 14:20:55 | More by Onibubba
nrbw23

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A- A dark brown can hardly see through this.

S- wheat and malt smells is about all I can pick up on this one. Not a whole lot going on here.

T- Not a whole lot going on here also. Tasted rather bready to me. Very boring for such a nice dark looking brew.

M- A lot of carbonation and felt rather watery to me.

D- Easy to drink not a whole lot to this beer.

Not my favorite by any means. I'll probably pass on this one.

03-13-2008 00:31:47 | More by nrbw23
Dawkfan

Alberta (Canada)

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

A- Excellent retention on a off white head that covers a murky brown body. Fine carbonation bubbles climbing up the bottom half of my weizen glass, disappearing in to a darker upper half. Lacing is close to none.

S- Cracked grains a hint of chocolate malt, not much going on here at all!

T- Barely better than the nose. Starts of with some grainy wheat, a little dark malt and fruit. I got absolutely no banana or clove.

M- It starts of light in the mouth and builds, the finish is slightly chewy. The carbonation feels ok for the style.

O- MILD! This is the boringest Dunkel I've ever had, nothing stands out. This is just as bad as the hefe, scratch that it's definitely worse. I guess I should of expected this.

07-12-2011 03:16:43 | More by Dawkfan
Shadman

Alberta (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev -32.4%

Nice looking beer..dark opaque brown with a frothy head that took forever to go away...ramp down the aggressive pour if you want all 500ml to fit in to a standard glass. Faint bread/wheat smell and not much else. Taste was a bit disappointing..very bleh and watery with some faint spiciness at the end of a swallow. Mouthfeel was similar to the other dunkel I tried with medium amounts of carbonation. Really felt let down by this offering.

02-10-2007 00:08:19 | More by Shadman
stoutman

2.6/5  rDev -30.5%

The smell and body of this beer were fantastic...very malty and almost thick in aroma...the head was impressive and very rich, making me think I had a rich dunkel-weiss on my hands. Erdinger says it gets its full-bodied taste from fine 'flavor hops' and dark malt. on the contrary, when I tasted it, I was surprised to find just a malty flavored, watery, beverage. Dissappointed with this one.

Serving type: can

07-22-2004 00:57:56 | More by stoutman
oneeyedhoolie

Maryland

2.63/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured from a bottle dated 1/2008. As others have said, the beer poured nice. Big thick head, nice dark red color but the taste really was a downer. To me, this doesn't even taste like a Hefeweiss. There are no pronounced characteristics of the wheat at all. It's not a bad beer but just not a good example of what it should be. Would I drink it again? Sure, but I wouldn't order it over other Weiss beers if given the choice.

08-08-2007 16:35:01 | More by oneeyedhoolie
Halcyondays

2.68/5  rDev -28.3%

16.9 oz. bottle,

A: Pours brown with a fizzy tan head, fair head retention, fleeting, no lace, looks good initially.

S: Dark bread, pumpernickel, molasses, notes of root beer.

T: Really dark bread malt is the only thing there akin to a dopplebock, in fact it tastes more like a bock than a weizen, no real estery flavour at all. Flavour is light across the board, vapid.

M: Too much carbonation for the style, bursts in to carbon dioxide upon entering the mouth, overall light-bodied.

D: Can be difficult to drink due to the carbonation. Similar to the hefe from this brewery, I'm just not getting much. Compared to the real good weisse beers out there, this one just screams average.

09-03-2008 05:32:29 | More by Halcyondays
BeerBob

Nebraska

2.7/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel pours a coal bin black from a 500ml brown glass bottle. A brown head goes well over two fingers, lacing the glass sides well.

Nose is a soft wheat and light alcohol. Palate is very mild with none of the Weissbier flavors I have come to expect from this type of beer. For this beer my overall impression is very watery.

I hope I’m not coming down with a cold or something, because I really could not pick up on a lot of flavor from this brew.

11-17-2002 03:26:42 | More by BeerBob
Billolick

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

mid sized bottle, with best before dating. Pours the expected dark chocolaty brown with a faint tinge of plums, head quickly goes bye bye and this leaves no lacing (booo). Fruity nose, mouthfeel is kind of sharp and prickly and flavor notes are suprisingly minor, just some cola, overripe bananas and a slight metalic finish, yuck, there are much better dunkle weiss beer out there, give this one a pass, I wish I had...

08-05-2005 01:03:56 | More by Billolick
AltBock

2.73/5  rDev -27%

500 ml bottle with a classic looking black label with "Erdinger" in gold letters and "Hefe-Weizen" in red letters. Also on the label there is a small amount of German here and there. The back label has a brief paragraph about the beer and a best before date and bottle code in a small gold brick. Mine was best before January 2009.

When poured into a Erdinger Weizen glass, this Dunkelweizen was an appealing murky dark chestnut brown with some caramel coloring mixed in with it. Usually Weizens have a massive head of foam on it, but the one on this beer was more controlled. It was about 1 1/2 inches in height and was an off white color. This head of foam quickly fizzled away and only left behind a handful of fizzy off white colored rings. I liked the color, but the head of foam needed a little something. This beer needs to be swirled around to wake up the aroma. When it was, the aroam was still very subtle with dark roasted wheat, a splash of sweet caramel, and a hint of banana and cloves. To me, the aroma needed more malted wheat and banana and it shouldn't have to be swirled around to get any kind of smell out of it. The taste was very crispy and carbonated with plenty of dark roasted wheat, a hint of banana, a pinch of cloves, and then finishes up with more malted wheat. It is a Weizen, but there should have been a little bit more flavor in here. Wheat can get a little boring by itself. This was a light bodied beer that was heavy on the carbonation and featured a faint aftertaste of dark roasted wheat and a hint of cloves. No banana, just wheat and cloves. It wouldn't be so bad if they lowerd the carbonation so I could get more of an aftertaste out of this beer. In the end, this Weizen was overly carbonated with a ton of malted wheat and really nothing else. There are better German or American Dunkelweizens out there. I will continue to use the glass with the Erdinger name on it, but I won't be pouring this beer into it any time soon.

09-23-2008 17:04:57 | More by AltBock
Kremlock

Ontario (Canada)

2.73/5  rDev -27%

A: Deep mahogany colour, pours a huge thick frothy head that is off white in colour. Looking through a light you can see the active carbonation.

S: I keep getting a tin smell from the beer. Soft notes of caramel/toffee

T: There is an upfront tin flavour, then you get caramel and toffee a bit and some nice soft coffee on the palate late in the taste. Some residual bitterness that is very soft.

M: Carbonation is nice for a wheat beer. Sort of an oily feel to it too.

O: The tin flavour just takes it all away for me. Not all that great of a wheat dunkel.

11-01-2012 00:35:17 | More by Kremlock
mzwolinski

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sheesh. This sucker poured with about 8 feet of head. Hold on an hour and I'll tell you what color it is. (The head's tan, for sure...)

OK, there we go. The beer itself is a cloudy dark brown, and the head settles down to a respectable size after a while. Aroma is fairly weak -- mildly sharp wheat with a bit of malt once it warms. But not much there.

The same, alas, is true of the flavor. Starts with a bit of wheat tang, develops a very rich malty sweetness in the middle which rapidly becomes cloying as the beer warms, and then...nothing. Not a trace of hop flavor to be found in this. There is something that strikes me as an off-alcohol flavor -- surprising for such a low ABV beer.

I like the style, but this beer is too much like candy. Too sweet with no real depth.

04-10-2004 18:37:49 | More by mzwolinski
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

Muddied brown/ruby pour. Dark alright, but the lack of a head screams that's missing the bought as per style. It has a head, but very minimal.
Well, aroma is caramel and sweet. Some roastiness. No spice, yeast, citrus, cloves...
Taste matches aroma. It's not bad, just not to style. But I wonder if that's b/c they missed the boat, or just didn't try. No spice, no tingle. Had it with a burger and shouldn't have.

Poured the last inch to the drain. If only because I had another beer waiting on deck.

05-15-2010 19:43:48 | More by Mebuzzard
hoegaardenhero

2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

a: pours nice deep brown color; small amount of airy white head lasts only for the shortest period of time; upward moving caronation bubbles up until the finish

s: vert light but smells of sweet malts and grains w/molasses hints; small amount of darker coffee malt smell also hits the nose

t: prominent metallic flavor very distracting from other underlying flavors; spicy thick yeasty sweet flavors with slightest hints of bitter darker malts at end of sip

m: a little thicker and syrupier than i would like from a dunkel weiss but nice carbonation lightens it up a bit

d: this is the second bottle that I have had and both have suffered from pretty strong metallic flavors which made the beer a little harder to enjoy; overall i feel that this beer is ok but i wouldn't go out of my way to drink it.

10-28-2007 10:42:02 | More by hoegaardenhero
Graham5161986

British Columbia (Canada)

2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

This dunkelweizen pours a typical dark brown into my weizen glass with a two finger, off-white head that dissipates rather quickly into a bubbly film and leaves no lacing. Smells of bright cherries hit my nose first along with banana, malt vinegar and caramel (quite an unexpectedly interesting nose). Taste is of light banana up front with faint bready hints followed by those slight, bright cherry and vinegar notes. Unfortunately, the flavours are quite faint and a bit bland all around- a bit watery. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and chewy with a crisp backbone and a clean finishing touch. Because of the relative lack of flavour, this beer becomes instantly less enjoyable than it should be. That being said, I could see myself drinking a few of these quite easily. However, after this, I wouldn't choose to have another one as I am quite unimpressed by its blandness. I wasn't a huge fan of their hefe and I'm not a big fan of this one either. pass.

And the nose was so promising... darn.

08-20-2009 02:47:05 | More by Graham5161986
Arinthos

2.8/5  rDev -25.1%

This beer is ok at best I would say the appearance is a dark brown with reddish hues the head starts out huge very bubbly then quickly disapates leaving little lacing. The smell is mild with a light malty odour. The tast is light also with a malty flavour but to me tastes more watery than it should. Mouthfeel is this beers strongest point as it is so watery it doesn't feel harsh or overly alcoholic. Overall I wasn't thrilled by this beer as I hoped I would be but at the same time I wouldn't turn it down if someone gave me one.

10-27-2010 22:51:26 | More by Arinthos
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

2.83/5  rDev -24.3%

Dark brown in colour with lots of carbonation. Aromas of raisin, spicy yeast, and a touch of roasted grain. Surprisingly astringent roasted grain flavors dominate the palate, with a bit of the standard hefeweizen banana flavors creaping in at the tinish. I thought that the roasted flavors dominated too much, and it would have been better to get some other more subtle flavors out of the darker grains.

10-24-2005 21:43:39 | More by fisherman34
Psilo707

2.83/5  rDev -24.3%

Appearance:
Wow that's foamy. Pours a deep ruby red with lots of head on top to complement the dark brown underneath. Dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell:
Not all that present but when stirred a little there is a noticeable dark hazelnut aroma. Smells pretty good when present.

Taste:
Decent at best. Doesn't taste as dark as it looks and the light texture leaves a bit to be desired. Still, I find nothing truly negative about the beer and it's definitely around the 'average' quality rating of taste for a dark hefeweizen.

Mouthfeel:
At first I thought I enjoyed the feeling in the mouth but the carbonation quickly kicked in and I realized it wasn't what I thought at first. If it wasn't for the slight sting of the carbonation it would be above average in this aspect.

Drinkability:
Mediocre. Taking more than a few sips/gulps at a time produces a weird feeling of taste as it's going down. Individually sipped, it's alright.

Overall:
I expected more, especially from the nice look of the initial pour of the brew, but it's not a bad hefeweizen. Just not one that I would buy too often, or at all if there are other choices around.

10-19-2008 23:03:15 | More by Psilo707
womencantsail

2.83/5  rDev -24.3%

A: The pour is a dark mahogany color with some red/amber notes and a fizzy off-white head.

S: The nose is quite yeasty with lots of spice esters (particularly clove). A fair amount of sweet dark fruits and a mild cola characteristic.

T: This starts off somewhat mild with trace amounts of banana and spicy esters. There are some notes of roasted malts and there's a high level of (carbonic) acidity which does not appeal to me.

M: Very highly carbonated with a medium body. The carbonation and acidity from the carbonation that is present in the flavor gives this a bit of a soda water feel.

D: I found this one to be disappointing. I don't know if the bottle was old or what, but the flavor was really not very good.

11-06-2010 20:34:09 | More by womencantsail
StoutHunter

2.83/5  rDev -24.3%

I picked up Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel for $2.99 at The Lager Mill. It's been a while since I have had a Dunkelweizen, so one of these sounded like a good choice for tonight. It had a best before date of May 2011. Poured from a brown 500ml bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label is pretty traditional for Erdinger with a brown background. It poured a hazy deep dark brown color with four fingers worth of tan head that died down to a thin ring.

S- The aroma seems a little muted to me, I wish it was more aromatic. I pick up sweet slightly roasted malts. There is a little bit of that typical banana and clove aroma along with some brown sugar. I also picked up some tart dark fruits at the end.

T- The flavor seems a little subdued also. It starts off with some lightly roasted malts that have a brown sugar sweetness to them. Then come the typical clove and banana flavors but not as strong as it should be. The finish is full of dark fruits with some tartness to them.

M- Medium bodied, slightly tart, and a little over carbonated.

Overall this Dunkelweizen was average at best. The flavor and aroma seems muted and were not as full as they should be. The typical flavors I would expect from this style were there but they were muted and overpowered by dark fruits and tartness. I have been disappointed with Erdinger, both beers I have had from them never meet my expectations, I am weary about trying any other brews from them. I wouldn't buy this again, there are much better dunkelweizens out there.

04-12-2011 03:27:13 | More by StoutHunter