Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel - Erdinger Weissbräu

Erdinger Weissbier DunkelErdinger Weissbier Dunkel

Erdinger Weissbräu visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel Alström Bros

Poured into a standard 50cl weizen.

A: Hazy dark brown. Seems to have a pretty hefty amount of carbonation. Pours into a 4 finger, frothy, off white head. Slowly settles as the giant bubbles disintegrate. Leaves a little layer of foam when it's all said and done. Any lacing quickly retreats into the brew as you drink. The giant head renews as you top it off.

S: Has a roasted, wheat and almond aroma. A hay or grass smell, kinda' like you're taking a stroll in a pasture.

T: Subtle wheat, and a somewhat roasted nut flavor.

M: Robust, but the carbonation lightens the body a bit. Nice soft, lingering aftertaste.

D: Very good balance of flavor and body. A good beer to sip on.

Really strong atmosphere. Great appearance, and a thick but subtle nose. Flavor is not complex, but full and balanced. The body is light, but it does have a hearty feel. Overall, very solid quaff.

PS. After writing the review, I checked some others to see where mine settled in. I see my score is a bit high, but then again, I'm a dunkelweisse fan. . . so I shouldn't be surprised at that, I suppose. Kind of a polarizing style, I've noticed.

bmwats, Jun 20, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -12.5%

.5 L bottle into pualaner weizen glass. date says 04/2009: I'm 1.5 months too late!!!

A - pours nicely, not giving off a lot of head, and that which did form dissipated into a thin layer. colour looks good with a dark brown with hints of deep red.

S - the nose is extremely weak. there is something to be smelled, but I can't quite make it out. I think it is a malty-yeasty scent, but it is quite, quite faint.

T - a weak taste, not more or less. there is some malty presence, but even after putting some back into the bottle and getting that last bit of yeast from the bottom there is no real improvement. during the finish the same lame malt flavour clings on for dear life. the after taste is simply of the cracker (one measly cracker) I ate prior to reviewing.

MF&D - again the beer (like the regular version) is incredibly carbonated and thin; though it is hard to tell between viscosity and sheer carbonation.

erz316, Jun 19, 2009
3.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle has a best before date of 07 2009, so I guess I'm getting to this just in time. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is an almost opaque brown color with a huge brown-cream head. The smell is a mixture of sweetly roasted malts, breadiness, spicy yeast and just a hint of banana/clove. The taste is much the same, no flavor is overly dominate but it is a slightly sweet mixture of the toasted malt, bready yeast and subdued spice. The mouthfeel is good, full bodied and almost chewy, carbonation is present but in check. Overall, a very drinkable beer but not the most impressive Dunkelweizen I've had. Non-offensive, it might be a good beer for a BMC drinker to try as a gateway beer.

gmfessen, Jun 18, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +0.8%

I've had the Erdinger Kristallklar and Hefe before so I was anxious to pick this one up when I first heard of it. I bought a bottle of Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel at the "systembolaget" (it's the monopoly we have here in Sweden for selling beer and such with higher than 3.5% alcohol by volume) in a neighboring town.

I poured it into a weissbier glass, and the first thing I noticed was that that the beer was much darker than I had expected, almost as dark as say, a Guinness, but with a slightly brown/tan foamy head.

It smelled a lot less than I expected, but I could smell a little bit of caramel.

The taste was good but it didn't taste as much as I expected. The taste was a bit caramelly as well, with less fruit and citrus than an ordinary wiessbier and virtually no bitterness at all.

Overall I liked the look and mouthfeel to it the most. The taste and smell was good but very subtle. Although I must say it's a very drinkable beer.

Blissmo, Jun 17, 2009

I don't remember where or when I had this. Notes are undated but thorough.

Color is very dark brown, almost black, with brownish-red highlights. Head is thick and foamy, about one head, and leaves thin lacing.
Lots of dark fruits on the nose: raisin and plum, perhaps. Caramel malt makes a strong backing and there's a light peppery spice.
Caramel malt forms the backbone with strong molasses. There's some dark chocolate and the banana notes are faint but present. Hops are also weak but present and add to balance. The peppery spice is also in the back.
This one has a crisp mouthfeel. The body is quite full and carbonation is moderate.
This is a tasty brew and makes me look forward to trying more in this style.

Brenden, Jun 10, 2009

A: Pours cola brown (much darker than expected) with a fizzy head.

S: Not much in the way of classic hefe/dunkel smells. I didn't detect much clove/banana/bubblegum. It almost seemed to smell like a doppelbock or something.

T: Again, like a hybrid between a bock and a hefe. I detected some dark fruits and definitely caramel.

M: It's smooth

D: Average. This beer is an outlayer from all the other dunkels that I have had so far. There isn't much yeast flavor and the malt is what dominates.

gameface23, Jun 09, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -1.3%

Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel poured a dark brown, much darker then I expected. Almost looked like a stout. The smell was faint, hints of bread and yeast. Taste was very full, hints of chocolate, but lighter. Mouthfeel was good. Drinkability was ok, was a little filling. Overall this was an interesting beer. I liked it, was a different style of hefe. Unexpectedly pleasant. Would look for again.

nickynick, Jun 08, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a weizen glass for a soapy, off-white one-finger head that died at a medium pace with no lace on a cola colored body. A balance of clove and citric notes along with caramel malt passes for the aroma. Medium-bodied, smooth and creamy, has a little spicy clove taste up front the citric notes and hop bitterness (along with some good carbonation) mix with some caramel, roasted malts for a slightly sweet and citric beer that is a little sticky and has a dry, crisp backbite. A good all-around beer but there is nothing outstanding about it that makes it great.

clayrock81, Jun 06, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

BB June 2009 - which is right now. Poured a murky brown and settled a dull, dark brown and olive colour with some transparence in the edges when in the light. Nice globs of tiny bubbles after the pour, bubble centres spread over the perimeter of the tan head. Nice ring and some minor lace.

There is an understated smell of burnt toast and rye bread. Some of that early carbonation made for a slightly spritzy mouthfeel to begin with but that settled, hoppiness on the mild side. Taste initially was of dark malty flavours, hint of figs, balance not bad at all. Air brought out a bit of licorice and a sharper finish. That was less pronounced with additional warming, I expected the opposite. By mid-glass, the beer lost a lot of its' lustre and came to resemble an American dark lager of sorts.

Overall, I found this beer hard to fault and I would not hesitate to keep a few of these around the house. However, that is likely because I tend to favour North American dark lagers over German dunkels in the first place. Frankly, this would not have struck me as a dunkel to begin with, or at least not very representative of the style.

ThatWineGuy, Jun 04, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -12%

Ordered a a beautiful half-liter at Sunswick 35/35 for $7. This dark brown beer with its light tan head looked oh-so promising, but fell flat once I started sipping. Sure, the carbonation was fine, but it only tasted like a creamed wheat or oatmeal cereal with a hint of cocoa powder.

tempest, Jun 01, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +4%

500ml bottle picked up at a off-license in Dingle, County Kerry, Ireland while vacationing there. Some ridiculously expensive price like Euro2.69, which, with the dollar having taken a beating for a couple of years, equaled about $3.90, which is WAY too much to pay for this beer, unless you've had nothing but Guinness for a few days. Best before date, March 2010.

Moderate pour yields a huge chucky tan head over a rich dark mahogany body. Huge thick sticky sheeting coasts the inside of the glass. A truly lovely beer: maybe even a 5.0.

Rich, strong chocolate malt aroma you can smell across the room. Nice wheaten notes, with a slight little hint of sweet cola in the background. Smells delicious.

After the rich and complex aroma, the taste, while still okay, is a bit of a let-down. The cola flavor is more pronounced and the chocolate malt is definitely in the background. Good, but not as good as the aroma.

Mouthfeel is rounded about by the soft nice carbonation, doesn't match the head and lacing. Still, quite pleasant.

As with all wheat beers, eminently drinkable. Smooth, light and easy. Positively sessionable.

Overall, a fine example of the still: good, but not the best in class.

ColoradoBobs, May 28, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +14.1%

Best before 01-2010.

500ml brown bottle.

Poured into a goblet a very dark brown color with creamy, fine-laced head that sticks around pretty well.

Aroma is sweet and nutty with a buttered bread characteristic that is very unique.

Flavor sweet with a nice toasted malt taste. There is some raisin and plum flavor that go really well with the carmel and toffee. It's very nicely balanced and not too sweet which has become my main concern with this style. There is also some subtle spice that is welcome.

Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy, and medium-plus bodied. Overall a very nice drinkable dark wheat beer. I could enjoy this on a regular basis.

GilGarp, May 20, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a dark cola brown James brown with some ruby tuesday highlights. Otis My Man!

Not much of a smell. Some earthy grain notes on the tip of my nose... Who dropped a whole truckload of fizzies into the swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner?

Tastes of some roasted malts and faint chocolate overtones. Thank you sir! May I have another?

Sweet but vapid aftertaste. I gave my love a cherry / That had no stone / I gave my love a chicken / That had no bones / I gave my love a story / That had no end / I gave my..

Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, so drink this beer unless like Fred Dorfman your a closet case.

Murchmac, May 20, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -5.9%

Dark cola-colored beer with tan head that disappears quikly.

Smells of roasted malts, grain, and some earthy tones; underlying mocha scent as well.

Not as sweet as the scent, but a solid presentation. The roasted malt and grain were very present, the chocolate hints are almost an after thought.

Pretty harsh carbonation, needs to be toned down a bit.

Otherwise a pretty good beer.

donteatpoop, May 19, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Pours dark, amber-brown colour. Fizzy head that faded quickly.

Smell: A little smoky but with a weissbier profile. Yeasty, a little banana and some lemon.

Taste: A little sweeter than I was expecting. Similar to the aroma, there is a smokiness with citrusy yeastiness.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is a little high but overall, nothing to complain about.

Drinkability: As with all German low ABV brews, I could drink these all day with ease. German beer drinkability never ceases to amaze me.

Hornet2003, May 17, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +4%

I poured Erdinger Dunkel into my supplied weissbier glas, and I must say quite a perfect pour. The amount of head produced is massive, nice milky tan color that retains as a weissbier should. The body of the brew is nearly black and murky, with subtle reddish hues that shine through.

The aroma is fruity and slightly cola like.

The taste is of over ripe banana and a small bubble gum like flavor.

Mouth feel wise this is crisp and refreshing up front, and finishes with an oily slickness and bite from the carbonation.

Overall I'm surprised at how good this dunkel weizen turned out, since their regular weissbier is somewhat average to most people.

TheSarge, May 16, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours medium to light brown with off-white head. Nose is somewhat tame compared to other Hefe-Weizens I've sampled recently, whether dunkel or not. Palate offers a medium malty flavor with brown bread, light baking spices, and a faint suggestion of cookie dough. Finish is medium short with more cookie dough.

yemenmocha, May 11, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -10.7%

Lightly chilled and poured into a 0.5 liter Erdinger weizen glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: The color is hazy brown with reddish touches. The head is light tan and thick and foamy. Not much lacing though.

Smell: The aroma is not strong but contains some fruit (banana) and clove with some dark malt and yeast present.

Taste: As expected from the aroma, the flavor contains traces of clove and banana along with some dark caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is light bodied with soft continuous carbonation. The finish is of medium length and ends dry, but nothing exceptional happens on the way to the end.

Drinkability: While not much more complex than the Weissbier from Erdinger, this dunkel is fine and I could have more, both now and sometime again.

drtth, May 07, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +12%

Pours a very dark brown color with an extremely large amount of fluffy tan head, even with a gentle pour. Retention is real nice, but not much lacing.

The smell is nicely balanced between the three usual suspects in a dunkelweiss - chocolate, banana and cloves. A bit of bready yeast rides along as well.

Man, this is one tasty beer. dark chocolate flavors are in the forefront with a bit of banana esters in mid palate with a nice, crisp wheat tang on the finish. It is a bit mild mannered compared to others of the style, but extreme is not really what I look for in a German wheat beer. I like the lively carbonation it provides with a careful pour. This is one of the better dunkelweizens I have had, and I will definitely be buying more of it. Highly recommended.

twiggamortis420, May 07, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

It is what it is...dark brown with a tan, rocky head. Not as much on the nose as I was hoping even after it warmed up a bit. Touch of cocoa, coffee with just a dab of fruity esters in the background. Drinks super smooth and a little creamy even. Not bad but I just expected a little more.

juju7, Apr 12, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

500ml bottle with a best by date of October 2009. Nice dark brown color, small head. Smells decent and malty but not much like a hefe. The flavor is nice and malty but i get no clove or bubblegum nor banana that I usually get from a hefeweissen. I need to drink more dunkelweizens to get a good feel for the style.

ArrogantB, Apr 05, 2009

04/02/09- Purchased at Bevmo in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle with a best buy date printed on the back of the label. Poured into my Ayinger weizen glass.

Appearance- Dark malty brown in color. Full one inch upon a very slow pour. Increases in size after the pour is finished. Lacing is pretty light with some light spotting.

Smell- Chocolate malt nose mized with light banana, a bit of clove and some wheat-grassy scents.

Taste- Pretty much like a hefe with dark chocolate malt tossed in. Lots of chocolate malt...deeper than expected for a lower abv beer. Banana flavors as well as clove and a few other spices I can't put my finger on.

Mouthfeel- A bit higher of a carbonation level. Pretty crisp and not a lasting aftertaste.

Drinkability- Haven't had very many of this style. Quite nice and enjoyable.

GClarkage, Apr 03, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

Served in a Franziskaner glass at 13.8°C. My first Dunkelweisse!

A: Dark, murky, red-brown liquid. Like dark syrup. Incredible head that foams up a whole lot on first pour and stays thick for a long time. Like a fluffy, airy guinness-head. Took a while to make it settle.

S: Chocolate banana, candy, chocolatey malts. Hard to describe, but very sweet and syrupy.

T: Chocolate, nuts, malted wheat and weak coffee. I dare even say it's a bit insipid at times. Like sugar water.
Gets better after half a bottle, still a bit too sweet for my taste.

M: Thick and overwhelming. Great creaminess thanks to the head. Moderate to low CO2, adequate for the style.

D: Not as drinkable as Erdinger's other brews, but good. One is enough, I'd rather order a bunch of Erdinger Kristallklar instead.

krunchie, Mar 30, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured a very dark and slightly cloudy amber with a thick and creamy tan head. Some mild retention and light lacing.

The smell was very hefe like with yeast, wheat, and banana and a touch of sour grain.

The flavor has a very powdery artificial light chocolate flavor mixing in with a hint of wheat, banana, and yeast.

The mouthfeel is light and slightly creamy with a lot of carbonation.

A pretty average dunkel, drinks ok but there are such better versions out there that this won't be spending any time in my fridge.

bashiba, Mar 29, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

Presentation: On tap at the Bier Stube in Rock Island Illinois in a 28oz boot...hell's yah!

Appearance: Dark mahogany beer with a large tan FLUFFY cap with good retention

Smell: dark caramel malt, touches of dark fruit, and just a HINT of spice...this is understated and simple, but quite nice.

Taste: Less wheat/spice characteristics than I expected; there are rich caramel malt and sweet, vibrant dark fruit undertones...again, simple, but nice.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied, smooth as silk

Drinkability: High

Conclusion: Nice, clean, simple, tasty, smooth, full of dark fruit; not quite what I was expecting, but super tasty nonetheless.

BedetheVenerable, Mar 26, 2009