Erdinger Weissbier - Erdinger Weissbräu

Erdinger WeissbierErdinger Weissbier

Erdinger Weissbräu visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 01-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Erdinger Weissbier Alström Bros
Reviews: 760 | Hads: 1,761
4.3/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Gorgeous thick and cloudy golden color, significant head with lots of lacing, mild taste, not nearly as much fruit as with Belgian hefe's, and more complex than most bavarian wheat beers. I prefer Weheinstephaner but this is better than the ratings here would make you think, Erdinger is a great beer.

3.04/5  rDev -11.9%

Overall, I don't mind this beer. It's one of the few German beers that I would label as "okay." I definitely prefer the dunkel, but this one can hold its own. The flavor is rich and full, but a little on the lighter side. It's sweet and nice, but I always want a little more, which is why I go with the darker version most of the time.

3.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Comparing with some popular weissbier brands, Erdingers seens weak, much less aromatic, minor carbonation, not much flavor. Still a good beer but if you have Paulaner, Weihenstephaner, Schneider, etc available, dont drink Erdinger...

4.01/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

I've had this beer many times and tried it 4 ways. On tap, poured from the bottle, and straight from the bottle (not good). The fourth way was the most unusual, at least for me. In downtown Hannover there is a city park with an outdoor beer garden in the summer. I ordered this at 11 AM in a liter mug and they served it with half a liter of fresh chopped fruit in the bottom! While it's not the best Hefe, it's very drinkable. It makes up for any taste deficiencies with perfect texture and appearance.

2.38/5  rDev -31%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The only thing you need to know about this brew is that it is generally mute on flavor, decent on carbonation with great full mouthfeel, and is only slightly off-putting in smell with a faint smell of decomposing wheat or vegetables of a sort.

You won't be repulsed.
For the money... it's disgraceful.

Bottle: best before 03-2016

3.96/5  rDev +14.8%

Look - pours golden yellow, little white head that dissipates shortly
Smell - sweet, lemon, cloves
Taste - leman, banana, clove
Feel - more carbonated than I'm accustomed too in a hefe. Medium feel
Overall - ok hefe, there's a lot better hefe's out there to drink

3.78/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look : Medium shaded golden body, with 80% transparency. The head pours a tall foamy white 3 finger head and recedes to about 1/2 finger after a few minutes.

Smell : Fairly light and fruity, a bit of floral. Apples, pears, banana, a shade of cantaloupe, cinnamon/clove mixture, and wheat chaff behind that. A little bit of Calypso hop in the faint background. All of this being said it is a fairly weak nose, requiring a moderate amount of effort to process these smells.

Taste : Nucleus and permeation of banana (peel, stringy flesh), surrounded by clove and yeast. A high concentration of wheat sits quietly in the background.

Feel : Substantial, highly carbonated, but still moderate to high creaminess. A slight stickiness on the finish.

Overall : This was fair. For the price (and I don't usually factor price into ratings), it's not a bad beer, but I could easily find a better tasting Hefeweizen in a 6 pack for under $12.

I thought this was a really nice refreshing hefe. It didn't quite have the character of some of your better versions of this style, but I enjoyed it. I got a hint of sweetness up front with a nice clean finish.

4.17/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

For once I am glad I didn't let the subpar ratings sway me from this beer. Mind you it is included in this hotel breakfast in Munich, so there was little chance I was going to not have it. First of all, beer at breakfast is a brilliant idea. Decades I have wasted on milk and orange juice. When I get home I am throwing them all away, as it is beer forever for breakfast. I wish I had kids....they'd love it too.

Why am I writing this? Oh yeah, a beer review

I just noticed my wife left the table. This is a good beer!

Awesome Hefeweizen - Bready and carbonated. Good stuff

Uh oh, she's back

4.35/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at the World of Beer in Pooler, GA.
This beer is a hazy golden yellow color with a thick white head. The aroma is fruity with some biscuit/yeast backdrop. The flavor is very good with plenty of spices and some sweetness to power this beer along.
I found this to be a really good beer, I will drink this again.

3.61/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served in an Erdinger weizen glass.

Erdinger's makin' it easy to try all of their stuff with a mixed pack, complete with branded glass. Nice. Let's start out with the original hef, shall we? It pours a slightly cloudy orange-straw topped by two fingers of white foam. The nose comprises lemon peel, cracked wheat, light biscuit, and a pinch of clove and black pepper. The taste ups the citrus ante a bit, both flesh and rind, and then adds a decent amount of banana peel and yeast for good measure. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, a solid hef, perhaps a bit too rind-y and yeasty for my tates, but still something that I can easily drink plenty of if the situation were to arise.

4.18/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This Hefe-Weizen is rock solid. It's delicious. It has great color and good carbonation. It has the classic taste and real thick head when you first pour it. I would definitely buy it again. I don't understand the bros okay rating. It is a great beer and I would definitely recommend. This is an awesome German bier that follows their strict purity law of 1516. I would say it's a standard example of what a Hefe-Weizen is suppose to be. It Is smooth with a great after taste. IPAs tend to be very bitter. You won't find that with this beer.

4.22/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was poured into a weizen glass.
The appearance was a hazy golden yellow to orange color with a thick white two and a half finger head that dissipated pretty slowly leaving a messy lacing.
The smell started off with fresh bananas running into the clove in a really nice way. Light biscuity notes balance things out a bit.
The taste was sweet with the spice to back up nicely. Biscuity notes once again balance. A sliding banana sweet aftertaste leads to a wet finish.
The mouthfeel had a good carbonation to it. It sat about a light to medium on the body with great sessionability about it.
Overall, this was a really good hefeweizen. I'd have again.

4.09/5  rDev +18.6%

Simply delicious, how is this just an "ok"? Had this one right from the bottle and it was fantastic. Usually I don't get a lot of aroma drinking from the bottle, but this one had that clear hefe smell. Wheat, spice, banana, and some orange zest notes. Tastes follows with banana and spice taking the lead with orange bread underneath. I'd gladly have this hefe anytime.

3.4/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazy gold with awesome, gigantic white head. I got white bread, spice and yeast aromas with only a hint of fruits. Taste similar, only slightly estery and with noticable hop bitterness. Full and silky mouthfeel. Very refreshing, but not as spectacular as other weizen.

3.64/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: straw yellow thick white head

S: Bananas cloves spices.. yeast

T: more of the bavarian style banana cloves and baking spices. sourdough

F: smooth and creamy, full bodied. medium carbonation

O: decent but not quite up to par with others of its style.

3.92/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Beautiful orange color with a head that never dissipates. Excellent wheat and citrus smell. Taste is refreshing, I'm not sure what the bad scores are about on here. Yeah, it's a bit wheatier than it could be but a good tasting hefe.

4.18/5  rDev +21.2%

Not a bad Hefeweizen by any means, but It didn't stand out much to me in the line-up of new beers I've tried recently. Still, I would gladly drink one any day.

I don't understand giving this anything but A grade.
The BA score shows 80, does that mean B- grade beer?
The Bros give it a 74,.. does that mean C grade beer?
Ya'll are nuts, it's A grade,… let's give it a 95,… how would I improve it to 100,… I wouldn't,.. it's perfectly all well as far as my feel and sensibility, according to my body.
It's a nice fresh, medium, balanced, very pleasant beer,...it's excellent,… nice n balanced,… I love it.

3.12/5  rDev -9.6%

Slightly hazy orange color with a thin thick head with good retention.
Light aroma of banana, oranges and some cloves.
Sweet flavor with notes of oranges, yeast, some banana and distant cloves. Mild tartness over sweetened by its malt.
Light body with appropriate carbonation.
Refreshing while cold straight forward Weiss. I sure would like to see more character and lower sweetness levels. I found their other offerings better.

3.52/5  rDev +2%

BBD 6/15. Pours a cloudy golden with just a touch of amber. World class head volume, retention and lacing.

Light nose of banana, clove and yeast.

Light medium body that has a smooth texture. Perfect carbonation with a nice effervescent burst from the middle on.

Like the nose, the flavor profile is weak, but improves considerably as it warms. The key to this beer is consume it near room temperature. It also lacks complexity when cold, but blossoms as it warms and is nicely balanced. Clove is the strongest component, while banana stays in the background. The middle has a touch of bitterness. No sweetness really ever emerges and the finish is a bit dry and tart.

2.93/5  rDev -15.1%

Cloudy yellow colour with loose foam head that lasted all but a few seconds. Unappealing visually. Smells improved things, nice, clean, orange. Taste is a mixed bag. Lemon, jelly sweets, smooth. Feel unfortunately short lived. It's fine but I'm not going to put it in my shopping basket for a while.

I dont understand the lower ratings... this is an unbelievably good brew imho.... it is smoothe... flavorful... and a pretty pour.... it is a bit pricey and has somewhat of a "light" beer head.... but it is super tasty for backyard sitting

4.65/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Probably my favourite beer, certainly of the wheat variety anyway. Rich, tasty and always satisfying...Perhaps there are more interesting, niche varieties out there (in Germany, at least) but this is a solid winner !

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

-Pours cloudy yellow-golden with a big fluffy eggshell-colooured head
-Medium head retension for a Hef
-very high carbonation visible
-very grassy and spicy (Coriander more than clove)
-bananas and honey
Follows the nose plus bubble gum a reduced Banana flavour with a slight bitter grassy finish
light-medium body with medium-high carbonation
Erdinger is not your typical Hefeweizen.Its very much noble hop forward instead of Banana-clove forward.
Generally though,i find it doesnt quite match good hefeweizens esp. in terms of flavour.

Erdinger Weissbier from Erdinger Weissbräu