Erdinger Weissbier - Erdinger Weissbräu

Erdinger WeissbierErdinger Weissbier

Erdinger Weissbräu visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: pezoids on 01-03-2002)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Erdinger Weissbier Alström Bros
Hautacam

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

.5 liter bottle...best bofore 3/06...a week past the date.
Cloudy yellow gold...really big head...foams , laces..sticks around.
Smell of bananas mostly , yeast...not strong....a little spice in the background.
Nice flavor...sweet , doughy wheat...some clovey phenol.Hops way in the background. Not too complex....but very good. Does not taste watery like a lot of hefe's..definitely does not need a lemon.
Mouthfeel is medium...carbonation medium.
Could be a very drinkable ale...this would really be great with some grilled chicken or fish.

04-05-2006 23:19:11 | More by Hautacam
akorsak

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

I am drinking a 650 mL bottle poured into a Widmer Bros. weizen glass. The ale is cool in temperature.

Appearance: The ale is highly carbonated as I pour it, giving 4-5 fingers worth of head. Surprisingly, the ale is not cloudy. It is a pale, clear yellow color that betrays no hint of being unfiltered.

Smell: There is a light wheat aroma, but nothing that jumps out at me and scream weizen.

Taste: The ale comes across more like a kolsch than a weizen. I don't taste any clove or banana esters, things that I consider to be true characteristics of a weizen. I do pick up a light wheat flavor, but it is not enough to make me think 'weizen'.

Mouthfeel: The ale tastes fine and is not offensive on the tongue.

Drinkability: The ale is very drinkable, especially good on a warm spring afternoon (like today). It just seems to lack the oomph that I want and expect from a weizen.

04-01-2006 01:45:45 | More by akorsak
granger10

Wisconsin

2.78/5  rDev -20.1%

Hazy, pale golden color with orange on the sides and a fluffy white head rests atop. Head retention is good and lacing is strong as well.

Aroma is really citric with lemony acidity dominating. There's also a noticeable wheatlike sweetness.

Taste follows suit. Quite sweet without the complimentary yeast or hefe characteristics. There is a bit of spice and fruit but that's about it.

Easy to drink and not offensive but this is lacking in what I'm looking for. The carbonation is also filling me up with burps. Has a macro like taste to it. Not recommended.

03-22-2006 14:14:49 | More by granger10
weizendoc

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

16.9 ozs. poured into my frozen Erdinger Weissglas. Very little nose, buts loads of frothing head as I swirl out the hefe.

*I have noticed that bottles of Erdinger Hefeweizen seem to be inconsistent in taste and quality...a bad one is all rubber and band-aids, while a good one is chock full of refreshing pineapple, citrus, bananna and bubblegum.*

Erdinger is far less clovey than it's Bavarian cousins. I like lemon, but Erdinger is plenty refreshing without. The one I opened tonight was downright awe-inspiring, hence this review. Loads of refreshing fruit and very satisfying.
My advice: try Erdinger Hefe-Weisse on a few different occasions and get bottles from a few different stores before you form a solid opinion. It can be very, very good...but some bottles are off.
The score I gave this review is tempered by my experience with some bad bottles.

03-14-2006 05:50:59 | More by weizendoc
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.13/5  rDev -10.1%

Cloudy lemon-amber with a faint orange peel blush. The frothy cap of lightly yellow-tinted bone white was massive initially with only a faint sliver of beer visible at the bottom of the glass. I like the rugged, craggy nature of the head, but was surprised to see that it was almost completely gone by the several minute mark and has left the glass lace-free.

Although the aroma is acceptable (all of the typical hefe weizen characteristics are present), it fails to impress due to its low wattage. Banana and clove are almost imperceptible, so the fact that they're present in roughly equal measure doesn't matter a whole lot. It would be a much better nose if even slightly more aggressive.

The lack of in-your-face flavor isn't as detrimental to a hefe weizen as it would be to, say, an Imperial stout. That said, I require a little more flavor than this beer is able to give. The amount of weizen is on the low end, but is acceptable. The lack of hefe is what really hurts. If wheat is the body of this style and yeast is the soul, Erdinger Weissbier is very nearly soulless.

The hefe weizen banan-o-meter score is 1.0/5.0. Not only that, but I don't appreciate much clove either. If I do the tasting equivalent of squinting, I can pick up faint echoes of spice on the finish. While there isn't much hoppiness, what's present grabs too much attention due to the lack of competing flavors and flavor sensations (i.e. sweet, tangy).

I like my hefe weizens to be lightly creamy and gently carbonated. This one is neither. I'll cut it a little slack by accepting the fact that it sneaks in under the bottom edge of the style limits.

I'm amused by the fact that almost every German brewery of any size claims to brew 'the World's #1 Hefe-Weizen', as Erdinger Weissbrau states on the rear label. They're delusional because this beer is nowhere near the summit and is eclipsed by any number of stateside offerings. Good German hefes are not hard to find. In fact, there are scores of them that leave Erdinger's version in the dust.

03-02-2006 15:27:21 | More by BuckeyeNation
KFaulkner

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

As far as beers go, this is a great one. As far as German beers go, it's not the best. But, let's review.

Purchased as a sixpack, the Erdinger bottle is a plain one that labels, as the previously reviewer pointed out, "...the World's #1 Hefe-Weizen." I've had a lot of Hefeweizens, and this isn't the best... but don't get me wrong, this is great beer.

My biggest observance upon pour was how much is foamed; it was like pouring a Diet Coke into a glass full of ice and I almost overflowed. What was nice though, was that the head stuck around, but it was still a little much for me and more than I've observed on other Hefe's.

Very litle smell, not quite as yeasty as most Hefe's, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The taste is wonderful though and easy to drink. It has that typical cloudy look to it and goes down smooth. It's drinkability is very high.

I recommend this beer. Although it may have been the world's best Hefeweizen at one time, it has almost certainly been overpassed by an American micro at some point (although I can't say which).

02-26-2006 03:20:59 | More by KFaulkner
Reidrover

Oregon

2.68/5  rDev -23%

according to the back of the back label this is the "worlds #1 Hefe-Weizen", lets see if it stands up to the boasting. The aroma is very very weak compared to most German hefes I have had, what there is is slightly estry and green apple sweet . Appearance is par for the course for hefes, hazy light orange with a nice pure white head Taste is a let down very pedestrian..slightly wheaty and bubbly carbonation..with a slight tang of estery type yeast Pretty much average on the palate for the style I found this rather boring an not even as good as Paulaner Hefe..its certainlly not #1 in quality..must be in sales.

02-21-2006 19:09:35 | More by Reidrover
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

I tried this beer on tap at Summits in Sandy Springs, GA. It pours into the signature 0.5 L Erdinger Weiβbier Weizen glass a lovely and even cloudy golden-orange with a rocky 1 ½” head. It has good lacing most of the session and good even carbonation. The smell is yummy enough to draw in fruit flies (a good indicator of great beer smell). To the human nose it smells of bananas, cloves, sweet bread, and dried citrus rinds. Ahhh, refreshing taste gives that clean palette feel. The flavor is of vanilla, bananas, cream, and wheat. The mouthfeel is light but full and mildly fizzy. This is one of the flagship beers I think of when I think of a Hefe Weizen. This is a highly drinkable beer and I had a liter’s worth this night at Summits! Prost!

02-20-2006 03:01:59 | More by TheEclecticGent
HugoGrim

2.8/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from the 1 pint .9 oz bottle into a standard pint. The label is dated 12-2004, but doesn't state if this is a 'bottled on' date or a 'best by' date. Either way I wish I had seen that before buying the bottle.

The appearance was by far the best part of this beer (which by no coincidence is the element least effected by age). It poured golden and cloudy, as one would expect. Very thick head.

Scent seemed muted. Spices and sweet banana were there, but nothing stood out.

Flavor was also muted. cloves & fruit with lots of banana. Much more bitter than a normal hefe (maybe due to the age of the bottle) but not a hoppy bitterness... just bitter. Disappointing.

Flat out this is a stale bottle. If I get the chance to try this beer fresh I will not hesitate to sample and re-evaluate.

02-19-2006 16:39:25 | More by HugoGrim
DarkerTheBetter

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer came a dull cloudy cider color that picked up some traditional golden colors when held to the light. The head was tall and off-white and slightly yellow in color. Smelled heavily of wheat and barley with a mild rye bread dough yeast and mild sweet fruits. Tasted of delicious homemade bread dough, roasted wheat and honey with a mild citrus and earthy hop nip. Finishes clean with a little lingering sweet yeast. The mouth feel is light in body with a frothy carbonation. Surprisingly dark in color and very heavy on the grains. Makes for a nice change of pace in hefeweitzens.

02-17-2006 14:53:46 | More by DarkerTheBetter
klewis

2.25/5  rDev -35.3%

16.9 oz. bottle. 7/2006 freshness date

A: Pours a hazy straw with a big foamy head.

S: Strong phenolic smell with aromas of wheat and lemon zest.

T: In a blind taste test, I might think that this was an attempt at a hefeweizen by one of the Big Three. Other than a slight wheat character, there is very little detectable taste.

M: Thin and watery with a prickly carbonation.

D: After having the Weihenstephaner hefe last night, this is a huge disapointment. This beer features few traits of a classic hefe and is just barely going to avoid the drain. Don't buy this.

02-01-2006 03:55:36 | More by klewis
MUSHROOMCLOUD

3.4/5  rDev -2.3%

A - 2" white head. Good retention. Some lace. Pale yellow with only a slight haze. Fairly clear for a hefe. Tons of carbonation.

S - Nice peach / pear aroma. Some qualities in the aroma that are close to wine like (riesling).

T - Pear. Banana. No clove, spice, yeast, or any typical HW qualities. A little on the bland side.

M - Crisp, clean mouthfeel. Dry finish. High carbonation.

D - Thirst quenching, just above average drinkability.

01-17-2006 02:29:26 | More by MUSHROOMCLOUD
Phatz

4.15/5  rDev +19.3%

Very smooth, very clean and very sweet. This beer is definitely better than many (that I've had) in this style. I had several Hefe-Weizens before and they all tasted too strongly like bananas. I don't really like that characteristic in my beer. This one does not go overkill on that; it does have that hint of banana but it is buried and subtle. This is incredibly sweet. WOW. It is sugar wheat sugar wheat sugar sugar wheat. It made me think instantly of sweet bread. I poured this slowly into my Weizen Glass, being careful not to include the yeast and sediment. On to the breakdown:

Appearance: Nice pale yellow with a hint of orange, huge sudsy head. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles lasted the duration of the beer showing how active it is.

Smell: Sugar, wheat, vanilla, and just a hint of banana.

Taste: This is so amazingly sweet I was surprised. Wheat, malt, vanilla, banana and a variety of fruits are things I could pull out in this very well blended and balanced flavor. There is just a hint of hops in the crisp dry swallow.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Wheat beers tend to be thin in my experience but this was not too thin. The sugar element along with the carbonation, helped it fill out into a satisfying medium body beer. It is very lightweight in your mouth and in your stomach. This makes it very easy to keep drinking more. I never had Erdinger Hefe-Weizen before, but for some reason I got 2 bottles. I just finished the second while writing this review, (I should have gotten a six-pack). Obviously a refreshing, drinkable beer.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

01-16-2006 08:48:03 | More by Phatz
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

Light gold in colour with some fairly strong carbonation. Surprisingly strong lemon aroma, along with some milder secondary notes of banana and clove. The flavors, in general, are very muted: lemon peel, clove, and a hint of vanilla. The body is spot on with the thicker (yet still refreshing) wheaty texture. An average hefe.

01-12-2006 17:48:40 | More by fisherman34
maddamish

Tennessee

2.95/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just a short review on this. This is pretty much a tasteless bland beer for the style. The brew is quite heady when poured but it settles down with minimal lacing. Almost tasteless with just a hint of citrus and cough medicine.

This isn't a bad beer, just an average one and you won't be missing anything by passing this one up.(Especially considering how expensive it was for a six pack )

01-11-2006 03:21:58 | More by maddamish
CrazyMike

Alberta (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +16.4%

Ah, nothing like a Weissbier in a beerstien.

Appearance wise it looks very creamy and somewhat light. The smell, although small, is sweat.

The taste is very creamy, sweat and pleasent, the taste of fruit and spice is slightly present. Not overly strong but not overly weak. This is an all around good beer.

01-02-2006 21:48:35 | More by CrazyMike
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured this one into my brand new Weizen glass, I'm so excited. Pours a hazey pale gold colour, slight head that subsides quickly. Nice carbonation, good lacing, a very pretty beer. Maybe it's the new glass? Anyways, smell is very nice, typical Weizen, Yeasty, Banana, Cloves, Pears. Very mild though, and the notes aren't very pronounced. Not as pronounced as I'd like them to be, anyways. Taste is very good, but it feels a bit watered-down. Still, spicy on the tongue, yet mild on the palate. Slight lemon flavour, mild maltiness, very little bitterness. I just wish for more flavour, sure, it's not bad, but I've had better.

12-31-2005 03:52:52 | More by trevorwideman
daliandragon

4.08/5  rDev +17.2%

This is one of those beers I have an emotional attachment with. Anyone who has ever been to Korea knows how bad the beer situation is there. When I found fresh Erdinger at the 3 Alley Pub in Itaewan,Seoul I almost cried with joy. Consuming flawlessly poured and served half litres of hefe is much better then chugging warm macroswill any day of the week. Got me through some rough times, beerwise and otherwise.
Terrific cloudy pale honey color and densely packed head indicative of the style. Nose is fresh and providing the necessary flavors but also smells more yeasty and bready then most hefes.
Taste is multi textured and very refreshing. In this case, I think the extra carbonation helps the mouthfeel instead of hurting it, which is typical often. There also seems to be a citrus tracing around the normal clove and monkeyfruit.
This is an excellent hefe. If you like wheat beers then you've probably had it. If you don't like wheat beers, give this one a shot anyway, it's worth it.

12-30-2005 22:54:25 | More by daliandragon
willgro

3.9/5  rDev +12.1%

This is a fantastic beer. Better than the standard wheat beer from germany, this beer really does the trick. it is very creamy, with the banana flavors of typical wheat beers from the region, but this one really stands out. it has a great head on it and is extremely drinkable. it is darker than most wheat beers, but not nearly a dark wheat. just a mild, orange color, that transforms itself into the brews. fantastic overall.

12-30-2005 20:00:42 | More by willgro
drewmprs

4.88/5  rDev +40.2%

For a time this was my favorite hefe, maybe even my favorite brew. I still love it but I appreciate some smaller craft hefes. This flavor lies in between Paulaner and Franziskaner. I think the Franziskaner is a little strong for most people, and this Erdinger comes in just about perfect. This is a perfect brew to sip on a hot day after working in the yard. Much tougher to find a 6 pack of this than Paulaner or Franziskaner. Sometimes i'm forced to go to Bristol Farms and get a 22 oz bottle, but usually I get it at the yardhouse in long beach on tap. I can't say anything negative about this brew. Fantastic, I can't wait to visit the Erdinger brewery.

12-16-2005 20:12:39 | More by drewmprs
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

4.63/5  rDev +33%

Poured into my new Erdinger glass. Ooh, I like this glass. Mainly because, I have no other like it. Anyways... Beer pours a hazy, almost orange hue colour. Though, in certain angles of light it does look more yellow. The head is HUGE. Though, I think the style of glass may contribute to it. Plenty of sporatic lace clings to the sides as the beer slowly disappears into my gullet. Very pleasant wheat smell, cloves, spices, light citrus fruit and some pepper on the nose. For a beer of low ABV, I can smell a bit of alcohol. Which is okay, but seems out of place. Very good taste. It almost seems layered. The first layer closest to your tongue is very midly bitter. Not exactly a grassy bitterness, but a crisp bitterness. The second layer is bready. Like drinking a fresh baked loaf. The third and final layer is sweet and sour fruits. Specifically, oranges and lime, with other citrus as well. Even some strawberries. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. Smooth going down the throat and caressing the tongue, but crisp after the swallow, tempting you to want another drink. Drinkable? Quite. One could pound back one after the other all night, or sip and savour it.

12-05-2005 00:50:50 | More by slitherySOB
Erdinger2003

Iowa

4.28/5  rDev +23%

This beer pours out a little touchy...it is a hefeweizen. It looks like a golden cloudy beer with a nice thick foam on top and if you get a great Erdinger you will smell it the minute the beer is poured from the bottle. It feels great in your mouth and throat. A beer that can be savoured until the last drop and can also be drank down with pleasure and repeated a few times. When you find that great bottle you will remember the flavor for a long time.

12-02-2005 15:47:18 | More by Erdinger2003
tgbljb

2.73/5  rDev -21.6%

poured a hazy peach color with nice white puffy head that proved to be very long lasting.Smell is virtually non-existent. I just can't smell anything at all. Taste is aso very minimal with a very slight spiciness noted, but little else. Nice and creamy in the mouth but just no taste to go with it. Very easy to drink, but not something I'll try again.

11-28-2005 00:39:58 | More by tgbljb
aquatonex

A good, crisp, and refreshing hefe.

Pours cloudy light orange with a nice frothy head. Good retention, lacing, and carbonation. Nose is rather light, yeasts, malts, and light fruits (banana?). Hint of spice. Flavors are well balanced, not too sour or fruity. Smooth, creamy, and lightly fruity and spicy (cloves). Very drinkable.

11-06-2005 16:06:09 | More by aquatonex
loren01

Oregon

2.73/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured from the bottle a light straw color into a pint glass. Holy crap, think I misjudged how much carbonation there was in this beer, cause the huge white head ended up foaming over on my first pour. Then I almost did it again on my second pour. Smells very yeasty, with some banana and slight clove flavors. Taste is pretty subtle really, goes down real easy but nothing really stands out as far as the taste is concerened. Tastes like vanilla, with a hint of ripe banana. Mouthfeel is maybe a little on the heavy side. This is a pretty easy drinking Hefe-Weizen however it didn't knock me off my seat especially in the taste dept. There are much better Hefe's out there.

11-03-2005 06:35:57 | More by loren01