Erdinger Weissbier Pikantus - Erdinger Weissbräu

Erdinger Weissbier PikantusErdinger Weissbier Pikantus

Erdinger Weissbräu visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-28-2002)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I am not sure I have had a beer like this before. I mean, I have had a weizenbock before, but I don't remember what it tasted like. I know I have not had the Pikantus before. I actually recently finished a few bottles from Erdinger. When Total Wine dropped the price on their Oktoberfest, I grabbed a case. They make one of the best most flavorful Oktoberfests on the market. Hopefully that carries over to their weizenbock. Not sure what to expect here, as this is not a typical style for me. Should be fun!

In the Glass: It was easy to pour, and had a nice soda head on it. Not much lace to speak of, and I can imagine this beer is easy to drink. I have a feeling this will be a thin mouthfeel, too. Now that I think of it, I should have poured this in a boot. You know, DAS BOOT!

Nose: My first impressions are nice. It is malty and has a somewhat sweet aroma to it. I am getting almost plum notes on the nose, and while I am sure this will be a carbonated beer, almost want this to be on nitro and to be thin and room temperature before I drink it. The price is good, though. For a beer this high in alcohol, you should expect to spend $5.99 or more. As I smell this, I am just getting malty goodness. Let's see what it tastes like!

Flavor: I was right. It is very easy to drink. It's thin, and has a lot of carbonation on the outer layers. However, it is VERY easy to drink, and as it heats up, I can see this becoming almost chuggable. The beer is quite balanced, and you would never know it was 7.3 ABV. Those same sweet/plum notes I was getting on the nose carry over, but the malts are what I am tasting here. WhenI close my eyes, I can see them brewing this in Germany just drinking as they work. I mean, that is what makes a good brewmaster, right?

Mouthfeel: The front half of my palate is bored, but the back half is excited. The bubbles, when they hit the back of my tongue explode with flavor and as I swallow, the finish is smooth, crisp, and clean. This is not a speciality beer by any means, but a good example of a daily drinking Germany bock.

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste. Oh, and the burp is pretty gross. If you can tolerate the bubbles, swish this around in your mouth a little bit. You will then open up some more flavor and it will provide you with an almost dry hoppy finish. The sweetness, when you swish it around a little, pretty much disappears. The more I drink this, the more the finish is starting to become bready; almost biscuitlike.

This isn't my favorite style, but it's good. I would totally order a pitcher of this if I was in Germany. Not sure when I will be in Germany, but maybe I will find an excuse to visit the brewery. I guarantee it tastes better there! Bottoms up, people.

05-13-2013 21:56:18 | More by rickyleepotts

amano_h

06-08-2014 15:32:46 | More by amano_h
chickenflea

3.86/5  rDev -0.3%

Murky brown pour with large creamy tan head. Rich, chocolate raisiny nose with a hint of yeast. Creamy burnt chocolate maltiness with hints of banana, dark fruit. Finished with a woodsy dryness and some mellow wheatiness after the swallow. An interesting brew. My first taste in this style. The chocolate maltiness and the smooth wheaty taste seem to be at odds. For now thought Erdinger's seems to have bokered a peace treaty. For the rest of us it is simply a treat.

06-07-2014 23:19:27 | More by chickenflea

03-24-2014 14:46:45 | More by nu38
GONZALOYANNA

Spain

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

500ml bottle. Erdinger Weizen glass. Brown color, dark amber tints to the light. Beige froth lasts as a thin layer on top.. Aroma profile shows toasted malts, chocolate hues, floral & spiced notes, toffee & subtle Bamberg sweetness. Flavorful toasted malt upfront. Medium to full body. Moderate carbonation. Voluptuous, creamy mouthfeel touch by subtle spicy notes. Hints of bread & banana then floral bitterness arises & lingers into a refreshing & extended bitter/sweet finish. Hints of licorice candy on the aftertaste. Refreshing & delicious. A creamy, malty, dense & flavorful beer well balanced by slight bitterness !!!

03-09-2014 13:00:31 | More by GONZALOYANNA

02-28-2014 22:27:12 | More by safaricook
doktorhops

Australia

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%

Having had this before I know that I am in for a treat. As I recall Erdinger Pikantus was similar to the much vaunted (and freaking awesome!) Weihenstephaner Korbinian, so it will be a battle Royale, Doppelbock versus Doppelbock! Also I promise I will leave my overwhelming bias for Weihenstephaner, greatest and oldest brewer of Weizens at the door on my coat rack (yes personal bias hangs from a coat rack not unlike a coat) and give everyone a totally honest review of this brew.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Chimay chalice gangsta-style.

A: A deep murky brown body with a head that started out camel-hair coloured and dissipated to a thin ring of lace. So less impressive than Korbinian then.

S: Dark plum and spicy phenolics in the nose give way to a hint of yeast and rye bread body, nothing as pungent as recalled from the Korbinian, it's not at all bad though.

T: Lighter it seems all round then, the flavour is dark fruits (primarily plum) with yeast and rye bread, some caramelised sugar, a note of pepper and a slight medicinal bitter herb finish. Notes of banana and clove also make an appearance as the glass drains itself magically [i.e. by me drinking it].

M: Carbonation was a big let-down - there is far too much, not only for the style but in general, and the body was mid to light with some slight wateriness. As a result much belching was to be had from a single bottle of this, which isn't the way it should be.

D: I hate to sound like a fanboy of anything but I'm really appreciating Weihenstephaner more and more with each passing beer I have tried from other German brewers, and Pikantus is no exception. That being said - I still rate Weizens/Bocks/Marzens/Doppels much higher than other styles and my score does reflect this, plus apart from the hideously overdone carbonation this beer does taste alright.

Food match: I'm going to be controversial and not suggest a German dish for this one but instead suggest: Beef Wellington with a side of roasted vegetables and rich gravy.

02-28-2014 11:08:06 | More by doktorhops
RoyFokker

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

02-22-2014 22:41:50 | More by RoyFokker
KFBR392

3.29/5  rDev -15%

Best Before 3/2014

Appearance: Huge head on the pour which settled in at about a finger and a half. Dark color with some brown/amber tones where light is about to get through. Above average active carbonation in glass while drinking.

Smell: Big malt body jumps out right away. Sweet molasses and medium bodied fruits provide a strong body. Interesting background of oak and leafy greens which adds a well receipted layer of complexity.

Taste: Front of medium bodied dark fruits and brown sugar. That front sort of lingers into the body with some added malt tones but really falls off quickly. Back end is some semi sweet malt sugariness.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is very light, lots of bright fruit and sweet tones hit the palate throughout.

Overall: Being that this bottle was quickly coming to being past date, the brew inside has probably fallen off significantly already. Aroma was approachable but taste certainly did not back up that nice front. Would certainly be open to revisiting with a fresher bottle.

02-21-2014 03:08:55 | More by KFBR392
TheSixthRing

3.69/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Best before date of 10-2014

Appearance - Pours a murky, muddy and rusty colored brown with a 2 finger light tan head. Dissipates rather quickly, leaving a virtually flat, barren surface in it's wake. Needless to say, no lacing. Certainly not the most impressive looking of beers.

Smell - Subtly sweet and malty. Light notes of caramel and banana. Sugar.

Taste - Moderate flavors that come across as sweet and fruity; think banana topped with a few raisins and sprinkled with several pinches of sugar. Not too complex; pretty much starts and finishes the same.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with some creamy quality. Prickly carbonation at first quickly levels out to deliver a moderate, creamy drink.

Overall - Not quite on the level of Ayinger or Weihenstephaner's weizenbock, but it's not far off. Quite drinkable, though the flavor leaves a smidgen of complexity to be desired. To summarize, it's a good beer, but I'd rather pay that extra 50 cents to get that Ayinger or Weihenstephaner weizenbock, and before that I'd likely grab the 'dunkel' or 'hefe' weizens before I settled with the weizenbocks... but that's just me.

02-17-2014 06:09:42 | More by TheSixthRing