Erdinger Weissbier Pikantus - Erdinger Weissbräu

Erdinger Weissbräu visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.30% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-28-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Erdinger Weissbier Pikantus Alström Bros
4.94/5  rDev +28.6%

Although Erdinger hefeweizen is easy to find in Pennsylvania, for some reason the weizenbock and dunkelweizen and extremely difficult to find. I had to drive deep into New Jersey to find it it. In the end it was well worth the trip. This is the darkest and richest weizenbock I have tried thus far. Aroma of caramelized burnt sugar, vanilla and over ripe bananas. Sweet dark fruit predominates the complex taste with hints of dates, rum, raisins, maple and ripe prunes. As is normal for Erdinger, it is bottle conditioned and very cloudy as a result. There is a very pleasant, lingering aftertaste of pecan pie. If this was more readily available I would certainly drink it on a regular basis. (693 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +24.7%

my sample of Erdinger Pikantus Weizen-Bock was poured from a 1 pint .9 fl. oz. brown bottle at approximately 50*F into a 0.5 L "Harpoon UFO" Hefe-Weizen style glass (hand washed, no dishwasher).

in my honest opinion i believe this wonderful beer to be extremely under-rated.

the 3 finger foam of my finished pour was dotted with small, brown spots of the swirled-bottle yeast (as a proper Hefe-Weizen should be poured).

the liquid portion was a murky, coffee to chocolate brown.

the nose found a delightful balance of maltiness and yeast. a pleasantly strong spice aroma was also present. not at all overpowering.

the first few sips tickle the tongue with carbonation, just short of being over-carbonated. in the mouth i found predominantly dried fruit, grapes, and a hint of clove that reminded me of freshly baked pumpernickel bread (that in and of itself is worth the $2.50 i paid per bottle, a steal !). as the glass progresses the carbonation subsides substantially, though the head persists like sea-foam on the side of the glass. throughout the pint the sides of the tongue and finish are of a light, buttery cream. the after taste lingers and quickly changes to dried apricot and slight alcohol. well done for 7.3% ABV. quite pleasant.

for me, this beer is quite drinkable. unfortunately, the higher alcohol content means i won't be drinking too many of these ( >4 ) in quick succession.
i would pair this beer immediately with roasted duck stuffed with prunes and oranges. it may also compliment a platter of hot kartoffelpuffen (potato pancakes) served with gravy. a must for thanksgiving, and christmas meals.

an excellent example of a Weizen-Bock. i think Erdinger has a real performer here and their Pikantus Weizen-Bock is certainly a world class beer in every respect.

Prost! (1,826 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +19.8%

Pours a dark cloudy wheat beer, you can barely pass light through it.

Smells of malt, grain and bananas. There is a bit of floral smell here too.

Tastes mildly sweet and malty. I can taste banana, cloves, chocolate and a mild hops bite. This is a very complex beer.

Mouthfeel is excellent, thick and creamy without being too much.

Drinkability is excellent. (369 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Excellent Weizenbock, one of the best in the world IMO it is very chocolatey with a nice roasted character. The alcohol i present throughout and the appearance is opaque dark brown, a nice roasty nose to this beer and an lingering malt presence makes this one worth seeking. (274 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a very dark brownish black color and has a off white head that is 3 fingers thick and stable. There is an odd mix of alcohol and raisins and cloves. An odd mix, but not bad. It is a Frankenstein of a beer and it definitely pushes it's weight around in the flavor department. It has a definite bock character that follows up with a crisp clean wheat finish. Not bad at all. And it packs a kick to boot! (407 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

16.9 ounce (500ml) bottle. Pour yields an enormous rocky light tan head over an opaque dark mahogany-coffee body. Gorgeous beer.

Smell is intense caramel malt over dark fruits: raisins, dates, figs. Mmmmm. What a delectable aroma. Warming, a little boozy, and sweetly-malted malty and chocolatey.

Taste follows aroma, with some notable additions: roasted bitterness is there, though mild; peppery spiceyness; a hint of banana and bubblegum. I like it. I like it a lot.

Nice rich mouthfeel: smooth, creamy, with nice carbonation.

Very easy to drink.

I guess my review is a bit of an out-lier here, beyond the first standard deviation (and almost outside the second!), but I love malt, I love Weizenbier, and I love Bocks. This baby is a very good example of all that I love in beer. Highly recommended. (807 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%

Deep brown with ruby highlights and a creamy light tan head that rises out of the glass at first, but then cannot hold. Still, it does leave some lace. The aroma is of a rich malt that has a strong cocoa character and light toffee notes, soft dark fruit, some mild bubblegum and a gentle clove. It's surprisingly rich for a dunkle as they tend to offer less yeasty character... although this is a bock as well. The body is medium, and the mouthfeel starts with a zesty tingle on the tongue from a fine & effervescent carbonation. As it warms in the mouth and the CO2 is released, a soft creaminess takes over. The flavor is softly fruity, mildly tangy, and lightly chocolatey up-front, warming into more toffee-ish notes as it crosses the palate, and finishing with light phenolics and a clove-like spiciness. The alcohol is completely hidden. This is obviously balanced towards maltiness, but the alcohol and dark malts keep it dryer than a standard weizen. Exceptionally well done and highly drinkable. (1,004 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

.5 liter bottle (dated 8-2008) poured into a weizen glass.

A- With even a careful pour, the heavy carbonation supports a 3+ finger tan head that crowns the top of the glass and leaves broad, sticky rings down the side of the glass. The body is a fairly clean dark brown with some light sediment floating about.

S- Nice sweet aroma. The alcohol comes through a bit, but mixes nicely with the slightly fruity scent (something of stewed plums or prunes) and suggestions of brown sugar.

T- Oh so tasty. A great combination of caramel malts, rich fruity flavor (again with the raisin/prune angle), and a touch of alcohol.

M- Solid feel. Medium carbonation, fairly clean. A hint of warming alcohol.

D- This is a nice, slow sipper. The flavor and presentation make me want to try it again. I'm even tempted to update my "favorite style." (835 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Have had this before but got a fresher bottle this time around. 500ml bottle best before 06 -2012.

It pours a hazy dark brown with a large but fizzy off-white head that leaves no lacing. Lacing eventually forms as you drink.

The smell is sweet and intoxicating. All I can think of is a quad. Rich dark fruits, nice yeast presence, and sweet dark malts in the back.

The taste is again quad-like. I originally had this very shortly into my craft drinking phase, and I had only had helles weizenbocks. This really strikes me as quad-like though, or maybe a dubbel. It is rich with dark fruits, a rustic yeast strain, and sweet, robust malts. The malts are really delicious here.

This is not quite as good as Aventinus, in fact I am gonna have one of those after this if I am feeling it, but this is a great one. (812 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'll save this cap that states the brewery and the beer name "Pikantus".

Pours a dark brownish color almost like a beef broth color that has some minor translucency around the left to right sides however none through the center from top to bottom (probably depends on the type of glass used). Head dissipated to about a sixteenth" and is a beige color. It's too dark to see any carb action.

I'm smelling some caramel and bready malt also vanilla and banana aromas are present.

I'm tasting a little sugarless chocolate with, immagine, a wheat taste like you get when you buy whole wheat spaggetti (lightly salted). There is a caramel, kind of bready, sweetness factor that adds to the smoothness.

This is right in between a medium to full bodied beer. The flavors fill the mouth and is smooth through to the finish. The 7.3 abv warms the tongue. The finish has a mild citrus and alcohol feel that is smooth and leaves a hint of a salted aftertaste.

If this was casked conditioned for a firkin fest I think this would be amongst the first to empty. For a Weizen Bock this is good. I've had better on tap and in growlers. (1,123 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark brown in color. Huge white billowing head. The smell was of Burnt malts, somewhat acidic. Taste of carmel, pretzel dough, and even some light coffee flavors. The CO2 levels are perfectly balanced in this impressive find in Rapid City, SOuth Dakota. I could definitely session this one. (290 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%

This is my first taste of this beer and initally it is very impressive. It has a nice smooth malt taste that hangs around a little while. I agree with Kpitz on the body which seems a little lite. Needs to be a bit thicker but I liked the head and the way it settled as I took time to drink this beer. Also the aroma is very pleasant with the right amount of sweetness. I think I have found another style to enjoy in my beer adventures with this one being a very enjoyable libation. (481 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

I was quite surprised by how excellent a beer this was. It definitely is along the lines of Aventinus, but with a different mouthfeel, and more raisins and less bananas.

Pretty brown brew not hazy. Almost non-existent head. Aroma is faint, maybe a little bit of malt.

The flavor is stunning. I can taste raisins, cloves and a fair bit of malt that is well-balanced with some perfect tang. There's also some nice alcoholic warmth.

Overall, I like this beer a lot. I will be drinking it more in the future. I'm surprised that I didn't recall it being so good from past drinkings. (586 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

I've had Erdinger Dunkel many times, and I always enjoyed it. The Pinkatus is a little harder to find, but well worth the search. Has a nice, almost chocolate flavor, and is quite smooth. This is quite a subtle brew considering the ABV. I always liked Erdinger as an alternative to the usual wheat beers, as it doesn't have the same spicy, clovey taste that most others have. (The same reason that many people don't like Erdinger). This pours very dark brown, nice head - good retention and some foamy lace. A nice, subtle biscuity malt undertone, and some mild complexities. Not quite as good as Aventinus, but what is? (620 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: beautiful, dark brown, clear, with frothy head that dissipates to a nice cap. Nice lacing.

S: malty, mixed wih fruit

T: clean malt, toasty, dark fruit

M: pleasant, full

O: a very enjoyable, lighter version of a bock, with fruity notes?

Would definitely buy again (270 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

A - Dark dunkel like colour with a slight bit of lacing on top. Bubbles streaming up to reach the surface.

S - Sweet and fruity.

T - Earthy, mellow fruit notes and sweetness. No bitter or unwanted flavours in the mix.

M - Watery and slightly bubbly. Smooth.

O - I was very surprised at this beer. I expected a typical Dunkel which is not my favourite style of beer but I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and tasty this beer is. One to have again for sure! (465 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

1.9 pint
Best Before End: 10/2009

Poured into my Squatters true pint glass a very nice dark brown color, very nice two-finger plus foamy/creamy tan head, with a very nice thick coat of sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some slight chocolate/toffe notes, slightly fruity, some yeast notes as well. The taste is very nice, sweet, malty, slight yeast, some dark fruits, choco/toffee notes. Medium body, the ABV is hidden very well with this brew, very easy going down. Drinkable, this is a tasty one. (515 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

What a ridiculous head. I mean, it's pissing me off right now. I've got two thirds of the bottle into my Franziskaner weizen glass, and there's five inches of head sitting there mocking me. Ten minutes have gone by, waiting for the head to recede enough that I can get the rest of the beer and, most importantly, the yeast into the glass, but the stupid thing just isn't fading. Intense carbonation is visible, tons of bubbles rising to keep the head going. I might just have to suck up a bunch of foam so I can fit the rest of the beer in there.

Okay then! All of the beer is in there, finally. There's three fingers of rocky head on top of a really interestingly colored brew. It's milk chocolate brown, very hazy, leting just enough light through to glow when sitting on my windowsill beside the beanbag; Take it away from the backlighting, and it's brown. Brown, brown, brown. Totally opaque. Looks like a very interesting coffee drink - or runoff from a broken septic tank (cruel, but honest). It's good, though. Worth a five.

The smell is kind of vague - not much there, even as it warms. Slight raisin, a little nutty wheat. Somewhat dissappointing; I keep going in for more whiffs, and never really come out with much.

The taste is really quite good - it's not very bold, but it's flavorful, and the mouthfeel is really good. This is a beer that's extremely quafffable. 7%+ alcohol doesn't make a whiff of a presence in the flavor. There's raisin, sweet chocolate, a little noble hops - grapes, a little dark chocolate as well, almonds. It's a combination of a lot of flavors that are hard to pick out. You've really gotta try it for yourself.

Fabulous mouthfeel! It fills the mouth perfectly, has just the right carbonation, just the right tiny bit of coolness, just the right finish. I love it. It feels like drinking the liquid part of a float - carbonation severely smoothed by the thickening of ice cream dregs, cool but snappy soda on the tongue. Awesome.

Overall, this is an awesome beer. It's very different from Aventinus weizenbock. This is an underrated style, and I really look forward to gettting more of this and more of the style. (2,168 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

Best by date of 08-2006, Sampled April 2006
Pours with a frothy, three and a half finger thick head that is a light brown color and has perhaps a hint of purple to it. The beer is a well carbonated and is a hazy, purple tinged, deep amber color. The aroma is lightly sweet and fruity with notes of banana and plums. There is also a touch of clove-like spiciness and a nice, dry grain note. I really like the mix of malt and fruit that composes the aromatic notes, it works quite well and just leaves the impression of rich concentrated fruit.

The beer is pretty well carbonated, it foams up a bit as it hits the mouth and leaves a prickly sensation from beginning to end. The beer has a nice fullness to it and is about what I expected from a Weizen-Bock; palate coating, yet not cloying or sticky. The taste is quite fruity, the typical banana and clove notes of the hefe combine with the malt and other fermentation character to add a rich fruitiness to this beer that reminds me of figs, raisins and sweet, slightly concentrated plums, and even a touch of tart tamarind. The straight malt flavors found in this beer evoke thoughts of caramel, lightly tart, yet grainy wheat, and a dry chewy grain-type note that lingers on a bit in the finish.

This beer is quite tasty, in fact it is reminding me that I really like Weizen Bocks. Too bad there are not more of these around because I really like how the rich malt character pairs with the traditional Hefe-Weizen yeast. This is definitely a style that I need to brew as well; I sense a recipe coming on for next winter. The rich flavors pair quite well with the chewy texture, and sweet malt notes; this is my type of liquid bread. (1,690 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +12.2%

Almost forgot about this beer as it laid deep in the crisper of the main fridge. I remember having this quite often while living in Germany, mostly on tap, but on occassion I'd snap up a case or two. After the long journey from brewer to my fridge and subsequent accidental aging, It's exactly like I remember.

Rich brown, tan head, minimal lacing.

Dark fruits jump out immediately. Toasted grain takes centerstage and its subtly done in order to let the fruitiness have a place. Carbonation packs a punch, sizzling in the taste. Rich and creamy mouthfeel fits perfectly combined with that sharp carbonation, it ends up cleaning up towards the middle. The yeast is evident on the palate and probably one of the yeastier German beers I've sampled. Cloves enter, and combined with the dark fruits it has a nice sweet element to mix in with the rich flavors.

Notes: What a night! Two German brews in a row that are exceptional. Deep, Rich, Complex, Fruity, Yeasty, some Roasted grains keep it in check...Great! (1,017 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12%

Pours a cloudy brown with a big, large bubbled tan head. Got rocky and creamy as it dissipated. Sweet, lightly roasted earthy malt, fruit and a yeasty nuance in the smell.
Big rich and tangy flavor. Toasted bready malt and an almost bubblegum fruitiness. Rich caramel and a hint of chocolate and clove. Finishes with a lightly tart yeast flavor. Nicely done.
Light to medium bodied with tingly carbonation and a rich full mouthfeel. Warms the belly but the alcohol is hidden very well. Tasty and highly drinkable. (515 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: The beer initially poured a somewhat clear deep dark ruby color with over a half-inch head of loose tan foam. The head was still at least 1/8” after a couple minutes.

Aroma: Bready yeast and a grainy malt aroma are the most noticeable aspects of the aroma when the beer is cold. There is a little bit of plum and spice hiding deeper in the aroma. There is a little bit of roast that is comming out as the beer warms up some.

Taste: The flavor profile initially starts out with a little sweetness that is accentuated by the grainy malts. This doesn’t last long as the carbonation starts to take over and lead the beer across your palate. This fizzy mouthfeel thing keeps going on until you finally get another taste of the malt in the finish. There is quite a bit of fruitiness left to linger long after the sip. Other than a little spiciness, there is no real noticeable contribution from the alcohol.

Opinion: This is a very tasty beer! This particular WeizenBock is a lot cleaner than Aventinus...which can be taken either way. I really like the fruitiness you get in Aventinus, but it is a lot like their traditional Weizen beers with the banana and the rest of the fruit basket. This beer is more malt accentuated with a wheaty grainy edge. It goes down really smooth, and almost dangerously hides the 7.3%ABV. I will definitely be drinking this one again. (1,383 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle: Poured a clear dirty brown color weizen with large off-white foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma consists of banana bread with some cloves notes and some bready notes. Taste is also dominated by some really good banana bread notes with just the right amount of residual sugar and some light cloves and bready notes. Body is full with a fluffy creamy texture and some good carbonation. Solid rendition of the style with loads of interesting esters and a solid wheat malt backbone. (505 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Cloudy, dark brown with 2 inch tan head. Head fades at a decent rate to a lasting ring.

S- Sweet, dark fruits with some notes of alcohol. Pretty tame though.

T- Starts off with lots of dark fruit flavors; i can pick out some raisin. This is followed with bready, wheat. Then some lighter fruits come in (oranges) along with some yeasty/earth tones. Slight notes of alcohol on the finish make it sharp and warming.

M- Full body and creamy with some aggressive carbonation.

D- Probably wouldn't drink more than one in a sitting, but I'll definitely buy this again.

Overall, I wasn't expecting a lot from this one, but I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the fruity complexity of the taste. Strongly recommend trying this one. (733 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

in my top 3 beers I've had so far, very complex and spellbinding flavor, delicious.

dark and cloudy haze little red like a yeasty cloud mixed in with a Belgian dark lager. ice 2 and a half fingers of head.

smoky rum raisn, cherry and dark chocolate.

leaves the tougne a little dry, but heavy and very filling, flavor saturated.

nice homey/fire side feel,
i really love this, great (385 characters)

Erdinger Weissbier Pikantus from Erdinger Weissbräu