Erdinger Weissbier Pikantus - Erdinger Weissbräu

Erdinger Weissbier PikantusErdinger Weissbier Pikantus

Erdinger Weissbräu visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-28-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Erdinger Weissbier Pikantus Alström Bros
2.28/5  rDev -41.1%

Poured into a Stone Imperial Pint glass. Pours a dark reddish, cloudy body with a talk white/tan head. No lacing to speak of.

Fruity twang that I can’t place, some citrus berries and a lot yeast and dark sweet malts.

The flavor here is intense and extremely sweet. A lot of sugar sweetness, caramel, dark fruits. A touch of a hop bite, just adding a hint of spice and a lot of yeast is in play here.

Well carbonated which is a touch surprising given the 7.3%. I’m not thrilled about this one. I like less carbonation with this much sweetness.

This isn’t for me. Too fruity and sweet and too much yeast to top it off. I don’t know the style well to compare to that, but this doing it for me. There is still a lot of flavor here so it is possible if sweeter beers are your thing that this one might work well. With all German beers it is possible that this is just not fresh enough.

2.4/5  rDev -38%

Muddy brown appearance. A somewhat airy, but big, light brown head sits on top. The nose consists of bready yeastiness, chocolate, acetic sourness, and a little ethanol. The prime flavor characteristics I get in this one are phenolic and medicinal. Obviously, not what I was looking for. There are some subtle dark malt nuances and a little ethanol sting. But not a lot else going on. The mouthfeel is too gaseous. Makes drinking all the less pleasurable. This is a subpar weizenbock.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

A: Opaque medium brown color, sort of like a cup of coffee. Initially had a big fluffy tan head that disappeared rather quickly to a scant layer of foam.

S: When cold, this beer has no character, after the temp warms up a bit, a spicy, raisin like smell, with some smells of fresh bread and a toasty malt smell.

T: Dark wheat taste. Some maltiness, but not much else. Not a whole lot of complexity.

M: Almost flat. I may have gotten a bad bottle, but there was very little carbonation here. Alcohol is nicely warming, and fairly well masked for the stated ABV%.

D&N: I'm going to have to give this one a try next year, just to see if maybe I got hold of a bad bottle, cause as it stands, this beer has nothing to impress me.

2.6/5  rDev -32.8%

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.83/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle: standard 500mL brown bottle, standard German wheat beer macro label.

Appearance: dark amber-brown in colour with a fluffy tan head that drops to one-finger with good retention and lacing.

Aroma: quite a pungent aroma, plenty of yeast, some dark fruits and spices.

Taste: a very interesting combination of flavours - tastes kind of like a strong banana abd clove wheat beer with chocolate and brown sugar poured on top. Definitely not my thing.

Aftertaste: aftertaste is similar with a slight hop bitterness along for the ride.

Mouth feel: a heavy body with moderate fine carbonation. Seems well considered for the style.

Overall: considering some of the great reviews I have heard about this beer I am certain that I am not yet used to this style, but it tastes to me like a thick, strong wheat beer with chocolate and caramel syrup poured into it. Add to that a price tag of AU$70 a case of 12 x 500mL, and this is a no go for me.

2.85/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured from a 500ml bottle purchased in Munich Germany into an official erdinger weizen glass.

Pours a very dark and cloudy deep chestnut color with s light tan head that has micro bubbles and a shaving cream like consistency. Really pretty red highlights in the beer. The darkest weizenbocks I have had so far. The aroma has a tinge of banana fosters to it. Really yeasty and shows the booze too much for me. Citrus spike come on the back end. The flavor is not stylistically what I was looking for. Alcohol esters with unfermented sugary malts. Not really what I am enjoying. The mouthfeel finishes dry and it's got good carbonation. Really not stylistically in the realm of other German weizenbocks. Overall it's nothing special and really disappointed me. I have been impressed with erdinger brews but not this one.

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance - Poured a dark brown/black; similar to coca cola. Including the short-lived, tan head. No lacing. Has deep ruby highlights when held up to the light.

Smell is very subdued. A hint of caramel and malt sweetness. Not much else.

Taste - Not bad, not great. Taste like a wheaty bock (gee, what a surprise.). As the beer warms up these flavors became more pronounced. An odd, papery, astringent taste at the back end.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Quite dry. Highly carbonated start.

Drinkability - Not great, but acceptable. May change my mind as it warms. Was served quite cold.

Edit: Al-right, it improved as it warmed, so I'm bumping the smell and taste scores.

2.9/5  rDev -25.1%

Dark brown color. Large foamy head. Aroma is roasted malts and chocolate. This is the darkest, most opaque Weizen Bocks I've seen. Full bodied. Malty, slightly nutty. Chocolate and caramel malts. Seems a little less complex than most Weizen bocks. Not very spicy. Very smooth flavor. Alcohol bite is fairly noticeable. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet, with a noticeable alcohol finish. Not their best effort.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass (because that's all I have at this time), the beer pours a dark brown to black coloring, with brown highlights around the edges. No head present, but a slight film of bubbling. The beer has smells of caramel, but light due to increased carbonation. Also present are smells of sweet fruits (plums and raisins) and malt. The beer has an initial flavor of milk chocolate and earthy spices. The flavor is quickly followed up by a cherry flavor, with an overcarbonated feel to it. The beer is sharp and overcarbonated in mouth, and the beer does not have enough body to counterbalance this. The beer has a semisweet and smooth aftertaste, with a last second bite of the carbonated feel. The finish is a little lackluster, with an overall feel of sweet letdown. Not a beer that promotes continued drinking, in my opinion.

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I am not sure I have had a beer like this before. I mean, I have had a weizenbock before, but I don't remember what it tasted like. I know I have not had the Pikantus before. I actually recently finished a few bottles from Erdinger. When Total Wine dropped the price on their Oktoberfest, I grabbed a case. They make one of the best most flavorful Oktoberfests on the market. Hopefully that carries over to their weizenbock. Not sure what to expect here, as this is not a typical style for me. Should be fun!

In the Glass: It was easy to pour, and had a nice soda head on it. Not much lace to speak of, and I can imagine this beer is easy to drink. I have a feeling this will be a thin mouthfeel, too. Now that I think of it, I should have poured this in a boot. You know, DAS BOOT!

Nose: My first impressions are nice. It is malty and has a somewhat sweet aroma to it. I am getting almost plum notes on the nose, and while I am sure this will be a carbonated beer, almost want this to be on nitro and to be thin and room temperature before I drink it. The price is good, though. For a beer this high in alcohol, you should expect to spend $5.99 or more. As I smell this, I am just getting malty goodness. Let's see what it tastes like!

Flavor: I was right. It is very easy to drink. It's thin, and has a lot of carbonation on the outer layers. However, it is VERY easy to drink, and as it heats up, I can see this becoming almost chuggable. The beer is quite balanced, and you would never know it was 7.3 ABV. Those same sweet/plum notes I was getting on the nose carry over, but the malts are what I am tasting here. WhenI close my eyes, I can see them brewing this in Germany just drinking as they work. I mean, that is what makes a good brewmaster, right?

Mouthfeel: The front half of my palate is bored, but the back half is excited. The bubbles, when they hit the back of my tongue explode with flavor and as I swallow, the finish is smooth, crisp, and clean. This is not a speciality beer by any means, but a good example of a daily drinking Germany bock.

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste. Oh, and the burp is pretty gross. If you can tolerate the bubbles, swish this around in your mouth a little bit. You will then open up some more flavor and it will provide you with an almost dry hoppy finish. The sweetness, when you swish it around a little, pretty much disappears. The more I drink this, the more the finish is starting to become bready; almost biscuitlike.

This isn't my favorite style, but it's good. I would totally order a pitcher of this if I was in Germany. Not sure when I will be in Germany, but maybe I will find an excuse to visit the brewery. I guarantee it tastes better there! Bottoms up, people.

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours out a muddy chocolate brown. In the first moments of the pour, the head was sweeling at a rapid rate, but by the time the entire bottle was emptied, there was not even a thin layer of bubbles coating the surface of the beer. Smells of cola, rye bread, prunes, and alcohol with some spicy hints. The flavors have the cola sweetness of a bock, and mild phenolics from the yeast. Does what it sets out to do, but it does not impress. Full mouthfeel, but it could be softer with all the bubbles. Drinkability? Eh.

Certainly, this is not the best weizenbock.

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance: Nice smooth head when poured. Nice solid brown color with vigorous carbonation. Looks tasty...

Aroma: Slightly wheaty aroma with alight alcohol notes. Mild caramel profile with yeasty side deteced in the German Weiss style. Fruity, raisiny?

Taste: Very sweet, caramel flavor. A bit too syrupy for me. Not as wheat-flavored as I'd like. No hop profile detected.

Mouthfeel: Very heavy & cloying. Does finish crisper than initally led to believe, but this is heavier than expected.

Drinkability: Not high on my drinkability scale. It is too sweet & cloying for me. I could drink a 1/2 pint, but any more becomes too much.

Comments: This was not my favorite. Enjoyable & interesting, but not in league with others in the style such as Aventinus. This is a lot heavier than expected which detracted from my enjoyment. Too sweet...

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This is a pretty average weizenbock. Not my favourite. The smell is nothing short of amazing, but the taste is a little disappointing. It's pretty meh. Not a whole lot going on. It's on the thin side and has a nice robust malty palette, but doesn't have any oomph. It's sort of bland. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it might benefit from some hops. If it had some dark fruit flavour to it, that'd be a different story. Some estery alcohol bite would be nice too. it's just not there, though. There's really not much going on. I would never buy this again.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy dull umber brown in look with a nice 1/2 inch tan head of two separate bubble sizes. Simple lace rings. Yeasty aroma, but with some sense of cardboard and lime. Lighter-bodied than I expected, a bit of molasses, milk chocolate, and fleshy fruit to the malt effort, a little bit of metallic vinegar tinges the end. Some off grainy notes. Hops are minimal, as expected. I tend to like Weizenbocks as among my favorite wheat beers, but this was weak in body and a bit suspect in some of its malt impression.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Dark brown with a thin tan head. Smells sweet and sugar cane like..with a burnt background. Tastes a lot more bland than it smells. It has a good base of dark roasted malts to it, but lacks the complexity of some of it's peers. It does have some ester quality, but overall it comes out washed out. Has a fine mouthfeel. I've liked this style in the past, this one just seems a little weak for what I've been hoping for.

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

when it comes to weizenbocks there is simply no better than aventinus, this doesn't come close, the alchol is too evident, and its a bit thin.

Erdinger Weissbier Pikantus from Erdinger Weissbräu