Erdinger Weissbier Pikantus - Erdinger Weissbräu

Erdinger Weissbier PikantusErdinger Weissbier Pikantus

Erdinger Weissbräu visit their website
Germany

Weizenbock |  7.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-28-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Erdinger Weissbier Pikantus Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a murky, dark brown color with a huge head that took a while to subside. Aroma was malty and yeasty with just a hint of spice. Taste was malty and caramelly with a good bit of sweet, fruity flavors mixed in. I could just barely taste the clovey, banana flavors that the style is known for. I was sort of disappointed in that I was looking forward to the beer having a lot more of that spicy characteristic in the taste. Mouthfeel was medium bodied in the palate. Drinkability was pretty good and the beer went down fairly easy. Not a bad beer at all, but not anywhere close to Aventinus in complexity.

500ml bottle

A- Pours a nice deep dark brown, with a huge amount of light brown/off-white head. Retention and lacing are both quite good

S- Soft bready malts with notes of yeast and brown sugar. Delicate but still easily detectable dark fruit hints (prune, maybe more). Simple and delicate aroma, but still very nice

T- What the smell suggested, though a bit more assertive. Quite big malt presence with notes of brown sugar and maybe caramel. A Spicy/phenolic underneath presence (clove, maybe pepper) shows up on both tongue and palate and brings some life and vividness. Some delicate dark fruit notes show up as well (prune, raisin). Overall this feels like something crossing the border between a weizen and a strong dark ale

M- Medium body. Smooth but vivid mouthfeel on both tongue and palate due to a nice amount of carbonation

O- Extremely drinkable, decently complex. Somehow warming and refreshing at the same time. A very fine brew

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

in my top 3 beers I've had so far, very complex and spellbinding flavor, delicious.

dark and cloudy haze little red like a yeasty cloud mixed in with a Belgian dark lager. ice 2 and a half fingers of head.

smoky rum raisn, cherry and dark chocolate.

leaves the tougne a little dry, but heavy and very filling, flavor saturated.

nice homey/fire side feel,
i really love this, great

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a very muddled, cloudy brown, with a tan head that only slighly persists.

Aromas are faint at best. Let it warm up to encourage more goodness, but not much came to the party. Caramel, some white fruits and only a sniffle of spice.

Good darker fruit and malt flavours on the palate, with that wickedly good trade mark balanced feel and creaminess - a big reason as to why I love german beers. Not a great deal of length, but no alcohol either.

A lot of positives, but for a beer of 7% there is not enough flavour to warrant a higher score of its Erdinger 'brothers'.

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'll save this cap that states the brewery and the beer name "Pikantus".

Pours a dark brownish color almost like a beef broth color that has some minor translucency around the left to right sides however none through the center from top to bottom (probably depends on the type of glass used). Head dissipated to about a sixteenth" and is a beige color. It's too dark to see any carb action.

I'm smelling some caramel and bready malt also vanilla and banana aromas are present.

I'm tasting a little sugarless chocolate with, immagine, a wheat taste like you get when you buy whole wheat spaggetti (lightly salted). There is a caramel, kind of bready, sweetness factor that adds to the smoothness.

This is right in between a medium to full bodied beer. The flavors fill the mouth and is smooth through to the finish. The 7.3 abv warms the tongue. The finish has a mild citrus and alcohol feel that is smooth and leaves a hint of a salted aftertaste.

If this was casked conditioned for a firkin fest I think this would be amongst the first to empty. For a Weizen Bock this is good. I've had better on tap and in growlers.

4.22/5  rDev +9%

Pours into the glass a dark brown color, cloudy and hazy with deep reddish highlights when held to the light. The head is a short-lived (not unusual for the style) dense tan finger and a half. Yeast sediment migrates to the bottom of the glass. Lacing is minimal.

Smell is chocolate milk, buttery toffee, sweet malts (A Whopper Malted Milk Ball), and faint ethanol.

Taste is bitter-sweet cocoa, dark fruit (raisins, prunes), wheat, yeast, citrus and a pleasant earthy flavor.

Creamy mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Medium-Heavy body.

Oddly, I almost forgot how much I like the weizenbock style. I really loved the depth and complexity of this one from Erdinger.

This is not for the faint of heart. You could almost think of this as a heavy stout with an attitude, on steroids. Damned good stuff!

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

I'm growing fond of Erdinger as a brewery.

A nice nose of raisins/grape juice. Very pleasant, considering how rich and dark it is in the glass.

The taste was also of raisins, and dates. Very pleasant, easy to drink, if somewhat rich and grapey throughout the experience.

I think this would be good one to pair with gamey dishes (such as duck!).

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I am not sure I have had a beer like this before. I mean, I have had a weizenbock before, but I don't remember what it tasted like. I know I have not had the Pikantus before. I actually recently finished a few bottles from Erdinger. When Total Wine dropped the price on their Oktoberfest, I grabbed a case. They make one of the best most flavorful Oktoberfests on the market. Hopefully that carries over to their weizenbock. Not sure what to expect here, as this is not a typical style for me. Should be fun!

In the Glass: It was easy to pour, and had a nice soda head on it. Not much lace to speak of, and I can imagine this beer is easy to drink. I have a feeling this will be a thin mouthfeel, too. Now that I think of it, I should have poured this in a boot. You know, DAS BOOT!

Nose: My first impressions are nice. It is malty and has a somewhat sweet aroma to it. I am getting almost plum notes on the nose, and while I am sure this will be a carbonated beer, almost want this to be on nitro and to be thin and room temperature before I drink it. The price is good, though. For a beer this high in alcohol, you should expect to spend $5.99 or more. As I smell this, I am just getting malty goodness. Let's see what it tastes like!

Flavor: I was right. It is very easy to drink. It's thin, and has a lot of carbonation on the outer layers. However, it is VERY easy to drink, and as it heats up, I can see this becoming almost chuggable. The beer is quite balanced, and you would never know it was 7.3 ABV. Those same sweet/plum notes I was getting on the nose carry over, but the malts are what I am tasting here. WhenI close my eyes, I can see them brewing this in Germany just drinking as they work. I mean, that is what makes a good brewmaster, right?

Mouthfeel: The front half of my palate is bored, but the back half is excited. The bubbles, when they hit the back of my tongue explode with flavor and as I swallow, the finish is smooth, crisp, and clean. This is not a speciality beer by any means, but a good example of a daily drinking Germany bock.

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste. Oh, and the burp is pretty gross. If you can tolerate the bubbles, swish this around in your mouth a little bit. You will then open up some more flavor and it will provide you with an almost dry hoppy finish. The sweetness, when you swish it around a little, pretty much disappears. The more I drink this, the more the finish is starting to become bready; almost biscuitlike.

This isn't my favorite style, but it's good. I would totally order a pitcher of this if I was in Germany. Not sure when I will be in Germany, but maybe I will find an excuse to visit the brewery. I guarantee it tastes better there! Bottoms up, people.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

3.15/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This is a pretty average weizenbock. Not my favourite. The smell is nothing short of amazing, but the taste is a little disappointing. It's pretty meh. Not a whole lot going on. It's on the thin side and has a nice robust malty palette, but doesn't have any oomph. It's sort of bland. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it might benefit from some hops. If it had some dark fruit flavour to it, that'd be a different story. Some estery alcohol bite would be nice too. it's just not there, though. There's really not much going on. I would never buy this again.

4.18/5  rDev +8%

The first dark wheat beer i taste.

A: Very dark brown color, the foamy head is creamy with two fingers thick, some sediments at the bottom but the label says its ok;

S: Fruity, scents of wheat, blueberries and tamarind;

T: Roasted malt, toffee, prunes and hops;

M: Dry with some sweetness, mild carbonation and hides its high abv concentration;

D: Good to accompany strong meals, one of the best wheat beers i've tasted.

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

A: Opaque medium brown color, sort of like a cup of coffee. Initially had a big fluffy tan head that disappeared rather quickly to a scant layer of foam.

S: When cold, this beer has no character, after the temp warms up a bit, a spicy, raisin like smell, with some smells of fresh bread and a toasty malt smell.

T: Dark wheat taste. Some maltiness, but not much else. Not a whole lot of complexity.

M: Almost flat. I may have gotten a bad bottle, but there was very little carbonation here. Alcohol is nicely warming, and fairly well masked for the stated ABV%.

D&N: I'm going to have to give this one a try next year, just to see if maybe I got hold of a bad bottle, cause as it stands, this beer has nothing to impress me.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%

What a ridiculous head. I mean, it's pissing me off right now. I've got two thirds of the bottle into my Franziskaner weizen glass, and there's five inches of head sitting there mocking me. Ten minutes have gone by, waiting for the head to recede enough that I can get the rest of the beer and, most importantly, the yeast into the glass, but the stupid thing just isn't fading. Intense carbonation is visible, tons of bubbles rising to keep the head going. I might just have to suck up a bunch of foam so I can fit the rest of the beer in there.

Okay then! All of the beer is in there, finally. There's three fingers of rocky head on top of a really interestingly colored brew. It's milk chocolate brown, very hazy, leting just enough light through to glow when sitting on my windowsill beside the beanbag; Take it away from the backlighting, and it's brown. Brown, brown, brown. Totally opaque. Looks like a very interesting coffee drink - or runoff from a broken septic tank (cruel, but honest). It's good, though. Worth a five.

The smell is kind of vague - not much there, even as it warms. Slight raisin, a little nutty wheat. Somewhat dissappointing; I keep going in for more whiffs, and never really come out with much.

The taste is really quite good - it's not very bold, but it's flavorful, and the mouthfeel is really good. This is a beer that's extremely quafffable. 7%+ alcohol doesn't make a whiff of a presence in the flavor. There's raisin, sweet chocolate, a little noble hops - grapes, a little dark chocolate as well, almonds. It's a combination of a lot of flavors that are hard to pick out. You've really gotta try it for yourself.

Fabulous mouthfeel! It fills the mouth perfectly, has just the right carbonation, just the right tiny bit of coolness, just the right finish. I love it. It feels like drinking the liquid part of a float - carbonation severely smoothed by the thickening of ice cream dregs, cool but snappy soda on the tongue. Awesome.

Overall, this is an awesome beer. It's very different from Aventinus weizenbock. This is an underrated style, and I really look forward to gettting more of this and more of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: cloudy with a coppery-brown colour. The head is huge, light brown, thick and rich with an excellent retention and lots of lacings.
Aroma: sweet toasted malts, wheat and a little of cloves.
Taste: red ripe fruits, caramel and toasted malts.
Mouthfeel: velvety, medium carbonation, high, but well disguised alcoholic strength (7.3% ABV) and a firm body.
Finish: starts with a sweet and fruity aftertaste that quickly turns to a dry finish.

Overall: best Erdinger in my opinion. Great combination of wheat, yeast and dark roasted malts. It may be too sweet for some drinkers, but overall great beer. Looking forward for another one.

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

This is my first ever weizenbock style beer; I bought the bottle from my dutch beer friend along with a whole lot of other goodies. This beer poured out with a huge head that tops the dark brown beer beneath; the head quickly dissipates leaving a thin layer of foam with some lacing. The smell was bock malty, nice huge malts as expected for a weizenbock some earthy tones and it almost smelled a little salty. The entry to the taste was fairly alcoholic and a little bitter with the malts hiding beneath. These malts then start showing up more and get stronger towards the finish. Clearly I could pick up some spices including cloves and the familiar banana notes evident in many German wheat beers. However the taste was not embracing what I was expecting after getting a really good nose. In particular the alcoholic and bitter part of it was something I prefer without. The after taste had some alcoholic notes in it with some dark fruits (dates?) and a nice slightly sweet bready maltiness which was there to last. The mouthfeel was between medium to full body with a nice creaminess to it and smoothness was there; just as like any of the Erdingers I had. The disappointment was in the taste entry. It was pretty strong though only going at 7.3 ABV; at times I was kind of drinking it like drinking a weizen. I have one more bottle of this; hope it would give me a better experience as I do have really high expectations of this style.. being a big fan of bocks and hefeweizens.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%

The 16 oz bottle was left out for 5 minutes to get the temperature to a nicety. Poured it into a Weihenstephaner tall weizen glass with care - but that didn't stop from the beer to raise an enormous head and was actually left with almost 30% beer still in the bottle after the first pour. The beer poured a nice, dark mahogany colour with purple fringes. The head was smooth and tan coloured, with great retention and massive lacing, almost leaving sugar trails on the glass surface. The beer presented a harmonious marriage of banana and clove with some strong phenols accompanying the hot spice. The aromas left a trail of citrus as well.
I was taken aback with the first sip - had a hard tart bite first up, then slowly dissolving into the more predicatable banana clove regime. The aftertatste was a little tart as well, the carbonation being over the top and all over. I like my wheat beers to be a little smooth on my palate. I really like their Dunkel, but this one I wouldn't reach out for - definitely no patch on Aventinus or Vitus.

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a hazy dark brown with an impressive tan head that leaves outstanding looking lace on the glass. The carbonation gives an impressive display in the glass.

There is a definite malt quality in the nose. The sweetness of the malt is vaguely similar to a marzen, although it's a bit stronger. A touch of alcohol bites the nostrils as well.

There are a number of flavors in this beer--chocolate, malt, dough, a touch of yeast and an unidentified fruit. A slight bite of alcohol finishes the beer.

This is a very tactile beer--the carbonation resonates in the sinuses and the eyes. Very nice. This beer is definitely drinkable. The malt lingers in the mouth but is not at all overwhelming. Again, the alcohol provides a nice balance to the malt and warms the body.

This is a very good beer. Along with their Dunkel Weisse, Erdinger is proving to be one of my favorite German breweries.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Dark brown with a thin tan head. Smells sweet and sugar cane like..with a burnt background. Tastes a lot more bland than it smells. It has a good base of dark roasted malts to it, but lacks the complexity of some of it's peers. It does have some ester quality, but overall it comes out washed out. Has a fine mouthfeel. I've liked this style in the past, this one just seems a little weak for what I've been hoping for.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a dark amber hued brown color while retaining some lacing from the small head quite well.

Smell is of wheat, banana peel and a mild sour aroma (not bad, just can't pinpoint what it is).

The brew has a medium body with a slightly astringent, sharp presence on the palate. Taste is slightly citric with a backing of earthy malt with showings of caramel. Pretty smooth and quenching. Perceived alcohol is subdued making this a drinkable beer. Worth taking a look at.

Erdinger Weissbier Pikantus from Erdinger Weissbräu