Alamo Golden Ale - Alamo Beer Co.

Alamo Golden AleAlamo Golden Ale

good

Alamo Beer Co. visit their website
Texas, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-13-2003

Brewed by Alamo Beer Co., but currently distributed by Real Ale Brewing Co.
1.55/5  rDev -55.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Total diacetyl bomb. Tasted like licking the artificial popcorn butter you get at the movies off the bottom of the tub.

On the positive side, the new packaging looks nice. (172 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This one pours a very clear and lite golden color. The head is shallow and short lived. There is no lacing down the glass.

The nose is crisp and moderate hops with some grassy notes and hints of bread. not much complexity here.

The taste is also average and dry with some earthy notes and a moderate hoppiness.

The moutfeel is a tad watery for my taste.

Overall not a great nor a bad beer. Just an average beer. I would say slightly better than Stella Artois. (467 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Alamo Golden Ale has a yellow colour and slight lime tint at angles into the light. Though transparent, its complexion is considerably bleary (a bit strange given such a brightly polished tone). It would look infinitely better if it had any head at all.

The aroma gives me the impression this beer will taste better than it smells. There's nothing "off" about this bouquet - it has nice elements of sweet cereal grain and straw - it simply just isn't very aromatic. But you can tell good quality ingredients have been used.

The malt is of substantial quality and quantity to produce a pleasant flavour of lightly-toasted, rustic farmhouse-style white bread. It tastes bakery fresh. I could spread some butter over this and call it a meal. There's no bitterness, but there is a tinge of earthiness in the finish.

The state motto may be "remember the Alamo" but this beer which has the same slogan leaves little to remember it by. A very conventional blonde ale, it is much cleaner tasting and provides more malt than a mainstream lager, but is similar in most respects to popular commercial brands.

Alamo Golden Ale suffices as is, but a few more handfuls of C-hops would provide it with more of the "piercingly independent spirit" it boasts of. It is a simple ale well-suited to the hot Texas climate. To be sure, however, the Lone Star state has enough new craft breweries that residents should probably forget about the Alamo and move to greener pastures. (1,465 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Attractive in the glass with a decent head on the golden brew. Adequately spritzy and while light bodied, it does have a little malty mouthfeel. More of a Kolsch sensation, with a lemony hint. Nothing much of an aroma. Maybe a touch of crackers for flavor. Faintly sourish, though not unpleasantly so. Not much of any bitterness to describe. I let this warm up quite a bit, and it doesn't help much.

Not much to stir the imagination here. I guess I have to admit this is quite drinkable, but it's no better than the average Blonde. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Texas Wine Cellars in Fredericksburg, TX. (606 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -2%

A- pale golden with clean white head, head retention pretty good for the style

S- light grainy sweetness balanced with grassy hop, pretty standard

T- lightly sweet from grain, maintains a nice finish. Grass and some spice from hops. Taste mimics smell strongly.

M- body is the most pleasant feature of the beer, flavor sticks to sides and back of tongue but still maintains a crisp finish

Overall a nice beer to drink outside on a nice warm day, I'd drink a couple. (470 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Just finished a couple of these sitting on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. I have to admit, I would not normally rate a beer I drank out of a bottle, but I liked this one enough to come here and give it some props!

Color: have say golden like the label says. Nice label though!

Aroma: couldn't get a great nose but pleasant enough. Light hops and bit of grainy malt.

Flavor: OK, can comment here. Very decent. At first, it has a bit of a light lager start, but as I continued and had another, began noticing some nice light grassy hops combining nicely with the malt grain bill.

Light mouthfeel and very easy to drink. Very solid overall and could definitely see this being a regular in my fridge if available to me. (719 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +2.3%

This was brought over during my Christmas Eve dinner party. Looks like about 3 were left from the six pack. Lucky me!

Poured into my Molly's on the Market pint glass...a fairly big head that subsided farily quickly...a yellow straw color and just a few bits of lace sticking to the glass

I liked the scent. Quite fresh...a lightly nutty sweet malt with just a touch of grassy hops.

Taste followed scent. Easy drinking malt forward ale, balanced with some grassy hops. Not overly sweet at all. Almost drinks more like a lager than an ale. Very easy drinking, but the high carbonation is a bit of a distraction.

Not a bad beer for Alamo. It's weird, the label says this is a Real Ale beer...possibly Alamo is an off shoot? Would like to see more outta these guys...always willing to give the Texas breweries my business. (823 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One finger head with some retention and ok lacing topped this golden, pretty much clear beer. Rising bubbles steadily make their way up the sides of my glass.

Aroma is something along the lines of an adjunct lager, but with more character. A light hoppiness balances out a general grainy and light maltiness.

Taste was surprisingly good. Sweet malts come through first, along with a nice grainy and slightly grassy flavor. The hops are noticeable and well done. There's a very nice balance to this beer.

Body is very light and effervescent, easy to drink, well carbonated, with a sweet finish.

My biggest issue is that a beer this easy to drink should be canned so you can take it to the lake and on your fishin' boat. It's pretty tasty stuff. I just made a blonde ale that I am hoping comes out this light and tasty and easy to drink. (841 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Temperature Note: I had a six-pack of this and my first bottle was served fairly cold, and that's how this beer left me: Cold. It was extremely unsatisfying and underwhelming. But, as I let it warm up, I became increasingly whelmed. I found the “sweet spot” to be around 60-64 degrees F. In that temperature range the flavors came into balance for me and I really enjoyed it, making it one of the best beers I’ve had in months. Once the temperature went over 65/66 degrees, it attained a bitterness that I don’t attribute entirely to the hops. I have a feeling that IPA lovers will enjoy this ale at a warmer temperature than I did, so I suggest you let it warm up a bit.

All my comments below are based on the beer when it’s in the “sweet spot” temperature range. If you drink it cold you will get very different results (such as no head and no aroma).

By the way: There is no ABV on the bottle or Web site, so I emailed the creator and he tells me that it has an ABV of 5.1%. I have submitted that info as a change, along with a note about how this is brewed by San Antonio’s Alamo Beer Company, but is currently distributed by the Real Ale Brewing Co. of Blanco, Texas.

---

Appearance: Cloudy yellow with a medium/heavy carbonation. The head was white but small and varied (I got anywhere between 1/2- to 2-fingers of cottony white head depending on how I poured it). Although I did get some lace after an aggressive pour, it did fade very quickly.

Aroma: Simple, yeasty, clear. I didn't get any hops, but there was a faintly sweet smell.

Taste: It’s hard for me to pick the gym class hero in this bottle, but the malt and hops played well together when it warmed up. I found there to be faint aromatics in the hops and a pleasing malt flavor. It was all very understated but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: This is where this ale really excels. The flavors stay with you after several minutes in a way that you usually only get from really thick dark beers. This was a very pleasant surprise and one of the reasons I really like this golden ale.

Overall Impression: As I said above, do NOT drink this “ice cold” or you will be sorely disappointed. This needs to warm up a bit to fully come alive and deliver to you a very solid golden ale that may not offer you a lot of surprises, it definitely gets the job done and does it well. (2,356 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Received a 12 FLUID OZ. (355 ML) bottle of this from Llyb in a trade. Poured from the Bright Orange/Maroon bordered & labeled bottle w/ the Alamo Canons and Texas Star into a 16oz Pint Glass. Has BEST IF CONSUMED BY THIS DATE: 7.13.12 on the back on the bottle.

Aroma- Very sweet but well balanced with malt and light hops. Good for the style.

Appearance- Pours a 1 finger head that has weak retention. Has a semi-clear bright golden colored body and leaves good lacing behind.

Flavor- Sweet and subtle at the same time. Malts hit with sweetness and a bit toasty. Wheat follows up with this flavor and takes over. Sweet finish and almost no hop flavor or any bitterness at the finish.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, High Carbonation, Malty, Sweet, and finishes easy overall.

Overall Impression- A very pleasant Golden ale that still had character and a nice taste to keep this above average. Thanks for the share Laura! (930 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -26.9%

I have seen this bottle several times before buying one as a part of a mix and match your own sixpack. THis was the only of the six that was not an IPA and that was because coming from San Antonio, I have an affinity for the Alamo and Texas in general (five of the six were Texas brews). I struggled to figure out where in the world this beer came from. THe label indicated it is a product of Real Ale Brewing in Blanco, bu the website is a completely different company, so obviously Real Ale must be contract brewing for them while they build up the brand. I am a huge Real Ale fan and consider Fireman's Four (SMaSH brew or not) the best lawnmower beer around. Since I am firmly in camp with Real Ale I cannot falt their technique and must fault the recipe for what turned out to be a dissapointing experience. The brew is crystal clear, and pours with a slight head if agitated which leaves light lacing, but the hop profile is almost non-existant and reminded me of a BMC rather than blond ale (like Fireman's Four). THe malt is strangely out in front and does not seem well balanced with any bittering hops I could distinguish. I prefer a blond ale with a light malt body that is subtle and there mostly to support about 25 IBUs, but this seems closer to 5 or 6. (1,267 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -6.3%

The Alamo Golden Ale - Almost thought this was a shiner at first!

Appearance - This beer a bit darker than your usual brew but mostly yellow to brown

Smell - A nutty (peanut) scent that is almost a bit off from that. It was good but not enough there to fully satisfy

Taste - A Shiner (light) but with more of the peanut and barley flavors in there. I wish there was some more to this and more umph to it (technical word)

Mouthfeel - This is where this beer excels, the taste sticks with you for a good several minutes leaving a satisfied taste

Overall - an okay drinker (574 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: A very smooth pour. Had a very golden color and very prominent head.

Smell: The smell was not personally to my liking. It was very overwhelming.

Taste: The taste was very salty. Not at all what I was expecting. Yet it was good and was complimented by the mouthfeel. Towards the middle of the glass, the taste became much more prominent and pleasurable. The taste is very unique.

Mouthfeel: As was said above, the mouthfeel complimented the taste very well and was probably its saving grace. The mouthfeel had a healthy carbonation which also complimented the salty taste.

Overall: Not a bad beer, if you don't mind a smooth but salty beer. I hesitate to say it was bitter. It really wasn't and the bitterness was felt mostly in the aftertaste. All in all, a beer you would expect out of Texas. But I'm Texan, so I'm biased. (843 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is a nice change of pace from the heavier abby ales, stouts, IPAs, and other meal beers. It is what the American mainstream beers should be: light yet flavorful. Its honeysuckle nose, light sweet taste, and low alcohol content are perfect for those times when you're ready for a brew but not a buzz. The only fault I find is its slight over carbonation. (363 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -18.3%

This is a golden colored ale with thin to no foam. It has an extremely light , honeyed aroma. Very effervescent—force carbonated? Dare I say, fizzy even. It has a clean finish with some light malt lingering around. Not a whole lot going on here and what is going on is dialed down to a whisper.

This is—although it pains me to say it—an utterly forgettable golden ale. (Why does it pain me? Because it’s a local microbrew and I wanna give some love to the home team.) It is not the same recipe as Real Ale’s Firehouse 4, although until they open their own facilities it’s contract brewed in Blanco. (612 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Color is golden with a slight haze. Head is white a thin foam with moderate retention. Lacing is minimal and splotchy. The nose has some sweetness to it. Lemongrass, orange and some pepper spice. Getting just a small amount of bitter hops in there as well. Just like the taste. Sweet upfront with a bitter middle that sort of even out towards the finish. All previous characters are still present. The mouth feel is very refreshing. Just under medium bodied with crisp carbonation. Not bad at all. This one is a bit above average. A good drinking beer. Great for summer weather no doubt. (587 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Blonde tilting toward amber. Moderate malt aspect, with some mildly sweet grain notes closely followed by an equally moderate hops presence. Not a bad representation of the style, although a tad less smooth than the frontrunners in the category and fell a little short of what I would want in a session ale. (307 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

Finally a beer that stands out among most Texas beers...a little strongly hopped, but not too much. I especially liked the alamo name.." King of the hill "...I think Hank Hill would enjoy this one...hypothetically speaking. Boy I tell you what. (244 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great starter beer in the Ale category. That's probably why it can cause some confusion. For folks who don't care too much for a strong finish this is good. I would say it's in the middle. Overall, it's a great Texas beer I would definitely recommend it to beer novices looking to take a step up. (306 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +24.9%

Poured a pale yellow colour, not really gold, but oh well. Small white head that left some very nice lacing. The smell was very FRESH. A little fruity, a little grainy, but altogether the freshness of it all is what stood out to me. It's an indescribable quality, but it's definitely there.
Now for the part that matters, taste. It's very delicious for a blonde ale. It's yeastier than I'd normally like, but it's pleasant somehow. It's a pleasantly fruity yeastiness that is well balanced by the hops. And the taste is fresh as well. All around great stuff. Not my favourite style, but if I'm going to drink a blonde, this is going to be it. Sure beats Shiner's. (663 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +16.6%

Golden in color. Head dissipates within a couple minutes. Good carbonation.

Light mouthfeel, tart hops up front. Immediately following is a smooth, slightly sweet maltiness. Honey and lemon on the palate. Hops linger after swallowing.

I like this beer a lot. It's got a good deal of flavor, but it's surprisingly refreshing. Exceptionally well balanced. (357 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Pours straw colored, hazy, white head.

S: Bready, fruity yeast undertones. Clean, crisp.

T: Refreshingly simple, very clean. Bread / grains form a solid base. Fruity yeast plays a part rounding out mid sip; black pepper, drop of lemon juice.

M: Medium all around except in the finish, which is a bit watery.

O: Exceeded my expectations. (344 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, into a the only viable vessel i had in my hotel room.... a paper cup.

A: It's well... golden. Thick, foamy, white head. A slight blanket of foam remains throughout, and a fair amount of beer ring lacing remains.

S: Baked sourdough bread, black pepper. Slight lemon citrus, and an indistinct bittersweet tone that I can't quite place.

T: Tastes like it smells. Sourdough bread, poppy seed, a little peppery, with just a hint of citrus sweetness.

M: Light body, refreshing quality. A little pungent aftertaste lingers.

D: Goes down easy.

Atmosphere is pretty solid. Nice color, and a substantial head which lingers, and some nice lacing. Nose is a very stout grainy tone with some pepper and citrus. Flavor, also very grainy. Fresh baked bread with hints of the sweet citrus and a bit of bitterness to balance it out. Overall, this is a pretty good quaff. (887 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -18.3%

I think Real Ale might contract brew this, or has in the past anyway. On tap at the Faust Hotel in New Braunfels.

A: Pours a clear golden/yellow color. A one finger white head forms, but recedes to a ring. A small film of lace is left.
S: Grainy, slightly metallic, bread, light sweetness.
T: Follows the nose and pretty neutral. Grains, bread, metal, some lingering sweetness. Like a week Rio Blanco.
M/D: A light and thin mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation, fairly clean, but way to thin. Not hard to drink, but there are usually much better options.

Very average at best. I think that is pretty much the point of this beer though. Even so, not a lot going on to keep me interested. (683 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

12 oz bottle with a best by date of 09.08.11. Pours a pretty clear gold color with a fluffy white head. Fades fairly quick and leaves minimal lace.

Nose is earthy, almost caramel-esque malt with a fair amount of nuttiness. Very little hops or fruity yeast presence. Pretty boring, actually.

Taste is grainy and fresh with a light hint of fruity yeast. Biscuity and there is still a hint of pecan nuttiness. Hops are a no-show on the palate. Not bad by any means, but totally and utterly forgettable. It is just slightly above average for a blonde ale. The fresh, grainy malt flavors are the saving grace here. (611 characters)

Alamo Golden Ale from Alamo Beer Co.