Alamo Golden Ale - Alamo Beer Co.

Alamo Golden AleAlamo Golden Ale

Alamo Beer Co. visit their website
Texas, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.10% ABV

Brewed by Alamo Beer Co., but currently distributed by Real Ale Brewing Co.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-13-2003)

4.53/5  rDev +34%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great starter beer in the Ale category. That's probably why it can cause some confusion. For folks who don't care too much for a strong finish this is good. I would say it's in the middle. Overall, it's a great Texas beer I would definitely recommend it to beer novices looking to take a step up.

4.5/5  rDev +33.1%

Finally a beer that stands out among most Texas beers...a little strongly hopped, but not too much. I especially liked the alamo name.." King of the hill "...I think Hank Hill would enjoy this one...hypothetically speaking. Boy I tell you what.

4.38/5  rDev +29.6%

Poured a pale yellow colour, not really gold, but oh well. Small white head that left some very nice lacing. The smell was very FRESH. A little fruity, a little grainy, but altogether the freshness of it all is what stood out to me. It's an indescribable quality, but it's definitely there.
Now for the part that matters, taste. It's very delicious for a blonde ale. It's yeastier than I'd normally like, but it's pleasant somehow. It's a pleasantly fruity yeastiness that is well balanced by the hops. And the taste is fresh as well. All around great stuff. Not my favourite style, but if I'm going to drink a blonde, this is going to be it. Sure beats Shiner's.

4.3/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is a nice change of pace from the heavier abby ales, stouts, IPAs, and other meal beers. It is what the American mainstream beers should be: light yet flavorful. Its honeysuckle nose, light sweet taste, and low alcohol content are perfect for those times when you're ready for a brew but not a buzz. The only fault I find is its slight over carbonation.

4.28/5  rDev +26.6%

pours a clear yellow, with almost no head. what is there is white, uneven and rapidly disappearing. no lacing.

smell: mega 2-row and slight caramel

taste: mega 2-row, minimal toffee.

mouthfeel: goes in easy, doesnt leave anything lingering.

i really like this beer but im having a hard time finding alot to say. pick one up for yourself.

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.22/5  rDev +24.9%

Poured into a tall pilsner, good head about 2 fingers that dissipated slowly with consistent lacing. Immediately noticed caramel smells and a toffee, caramel, nutty taste. Similar to a St. Arnold's amber but with less body. Good beer to pair with spicy, light foods, or grilled meats. Refreshing and super, super cheap. Picked up a 6er at HEB for 7 bucks.

4.13/5  rDev +22.2%

Golden in color. Head dissipates within a couple minutes. Good carbonation.

Light mouthfeel, tart hops up front. Immediately following is a smooth, slightly sweet maltiness. Honey and lemon on the palate. Hops linger after swallowing.

I like this beer a lot. It's got a good deal of flavor, but it's surprisingly refreshing. Exceptionally well balanced.

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

Standard 12 oz brown bottle with Best before and Feb very lightly notched. 5.3% abv listed
Aroma: Mild grapefruit infused with a light malt sweetness. Inviting
Appearance: Extremely clear glass shows good carbonation streams feeding a white collar and thin cover. Cover fades by mid glass and only a thin line of lace is left behind.
Flavor: Soft and mild overall, immediate taste is one of gentle alcohol, but as it warms it shows a great marriage between malt and hop. It’s very balanced with a lightly sugary start and a mild bitter finish. Subtle yeast flavors add some depth to the total package.
Mouthfeel: Light to medium body that has a slowly fading finish. Carbonation settled down to a great level, just enough sparkle to keep from being flat, which encouraged a quick glass. After reading Gagnonsux description of tea flavors, I can second that taste in the profile as well.
Overall Impression: Very enjoyable. Refreshing and clean, this is a great summer session or lawnmower. I think the label and name are a bit gimmicky, but what ever it takes to get Real Ale’s product out there. Strongly recommended!

4.08/5  rDev +20.7%

This beer is a slightly hazy, dirty gold with a small, white, foamy head. The aroma is nutty, a little sour, a little wheaty, a little floral. The front is tangy, fruity and floral. The fizzy middle is fruity, light and a little milky. The finish is very roasty and nutty, with some nice bitterness and a little more fruit. Delicious. A long, lingering grainsy aftertaste. Apple burps. It's a nice, flavorful, nutty blonde. I like it a lot.

3.95/5  rDev +16.9%

Temperature Note: I had a six-pack of this and my first bottle was served fairly cold, and that's how this beer left me: Cold. It was extremely unsatisfying and underwhelming. But, as I let it warm up, I became increasingly whelmed. I found the “sweet spot” to be around 60-64 degrees F. In that temperature range the flavors came into balance for me and I really enjoyed it, making it one of the best beers I’ve had in months. Once the temperature went over 65/66 degrees, it attained a bitterness that I don’t attribute entirely to the hops. I have a feeling that IPA lovers will enjoy this ale at a warmer temperature than I did, so I suggest you let it warm up a bit.

All my comments below are based on the beer when it’s in the “sweet spot” temperature range. If you drink it cold you will get very different results (such as no head and no aroma).

By the way: There is no ABV on the bottle or Web site, so I emailed the creator and he tells me that it has an ABV of 5.1%. I have submitted that info as a change, along with a note about how this is brewed by San Antonio’s Alamo Beer Company, but is currently distributed by the Real Ale Brewing Co. of Blanco, Texas.

---

Appearance: Cloudy yellow with a medium/heavy carbonation. The head was white but small and varied (I got anywhere between 1/2- to 2-fingers of cottony white head depending on how I poured it). Although I did get some lace after an aggressive pour, it did fade very quickly.

Aroma: Simple, yeasty, clear. I didn't get any hops, but there was a faintly sweet smell.

Taste: It’s hard for me to pick the gym class hero in this bottle, but the malt and hops played well together when it warmed up. I found there to be faint aromatics in the hops and a pleasing malt flavor. It was all very understated but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: This is where this ale really excels. The flavors stay with you after several minutes in a way that you usually only get from really thick dark beers. This was a very pleasant surprise and one of the reasons I really like this golden ale.

Overall Impression: As I said above, do NOT drink this “ice cold” or you will be sorely disappointed. This needs to warm up a bit to fully come alive and deliver to you a very solid golden ale that may not offer you a lot of surprises, it definitely gets the job done and does it well.

Alamo Golden Ale from Alamo Beer Co.