Alamo Golden Ale - Alamo Beer Co.

Alamo Golden AleAlamo Golden Ale

Alamo Beer Co. visit their website
Texas, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.10% ABV

Brewed by Alamo Beer Co., but currently distributed by Real Ale Brewing Co.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-13-2003)

2.25/5  rDev -33.4%

2.5/5  rDev -26%

I have seen this bottle several times before buying one as a part of a mix and match your own sixpack. THis was the only of the six that was not an IPA and that was because coming from San Antonio, I have an affinity for the Alamo and Texas in general (five of the six were Texas brews). I struggled to figure out where in the world this beer came from. THe label indicated it is a product of Real Ale Brewing in Blanco, bu the website is a completely different company, so obviously Real Ale must be contract brewing for them while they build up the brand. I am a huge Real Ale fan and consider Fireman's Four (SMaSH brew or not) the best lawnmower beer around. Since I am firmly in camp with Real Ale I cannot falt their technique and must fault the recipe for what turned out to be a dissapointing experience. The brew is crystal clear, and pours with a slight head if agitated which leaves light lacing, but the hop profile is almost non-existant and reminded me of a BMC rather than blond ale (like Fireman's Four). THe malt is strangely out in front and does not seem well balanced with any bittering hops I could distinguish. I prefer a blond ale with a light malt body that is subtle and there mostly to support about 25 IBUs, but this seems closer to 5 or 6.

2.55/5  rDev -24.6%

I had this at the Executive Surf Club in Corpus Christi TX and it was poured into an American pint glass.

A:The color was pale golden with a very slight haze.

S:It was not very aromatic, but I could pick up signs of hops trying to come through. There were also hints of citrus. The head retention was not very good and it had very little aroma towards the end.

T:The taste was rather bland and there was not much to this beer. Towards the end of the glass the beer tasted flat.

M: It had large bubbles but did not taste very carbonated.

D: It did have a decent drinkability

Overall I would not buy this beer again on tap, but was worth trying once. I would recommend this beer to someone who wanted a simple beer with drinkability. Next time I will have to try Alamo in a bottle to see if there is a difference; maybe it taste better that way?

2.56/5  rDev -24.3%

2.73/5  rDev -19.2%

Light malt sweetness accompanied with a quaint little bitterness.

Pale straw, good clarity, little head.

Toasty, dry malt gives the impression of fermented corn. A little sweetness rounds out the dryness. A hint of hops comes and goes. Minimal bitterness. Good carbonation, a bit thin though.

What a fun idea - I love the Alamo. But is this the best we can drink to drink to the Alamo? Refreshing and light? Yes. Tasty? No, not really. I assume this brew is targeted to more-of-your-average-beer-drinker-crowd-type persons, but why can’t it taste better? It is just shy of good.

2.85/5  rDev -15.7%

I think Real Ale might contract brew this, or has in the past anyway. On tap at the Faust Hotel in New Braunfels.

A: Pours a clear golden/yellow color. A one finger white head forms, but recedes to a ring. A small film of lace is left.
S: Grainy, slightly metallic, bread, light sweetness.
T: Follows the nose and pretty neutral. Grains, bread, metal, some lingering sweetness. Like a week Rio Blanco.
M/D: A light and thin mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation, fairly clean, but way to thin. Not hard to drink, but there are usually much better options.

Very average at best. I think that is pretty much the point of this beer though. Even so, not a lot going on to keep me interested.

2.85/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours a golden straw color with a white one finger head, despite my aggresive pour, and leaves some lacing around the glass.

Smell is sweet and mildly hoppy with some hints of clove.

Taste starts a little musky with some notes of clove, but it's watery there is also a little sweetness to it, the finish is dry.

2.85/5  rDev -15.7%

This is a golden colored ale with thin to no foam. It has an extremely light , honeyed aroma. Very effervescent—force carbonated? Dare I say, fizzy even. It has a clean finish with some light malt lingering around. Not a whole lot going on here and what is going on is dialed down to a whisper.

This is—although it pains me to say it—an utterly forgettable golden ale. (Why does it pain me? Because it’s a local microbrew and I wanna give some love to the home team.) It is not the same recipe as Real Ale’s Firehouse 4, although until they open their own facilities it’s contract brewed in Blanco.

2.88/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks to my daughter for bringing one back from a business trip to San Antonio.

Poured a hazy golden yellow in the Bitburger pilsner glass, topped with a frothy white head that's laying some lace down.

Not digging the cabbage, corn, and a pop of euro skunk in the aroma. Also seems to come across in the quaff, which finished a bit harshly. The corn adjunct is dominating the overall flavor here.

A good looking beer, didn't match it in the taste.

2.93/5  rDev -13.3%

I don't know what I was expecting from this beer. I suppose I wanted it to be...better.

Anyway, it looked good out of the bottle. Poured into a pint glass the color was golden as advertised with a good head that laced nicely.

Smelled sweetness and some hops. Balanced.

Taste left some to be desired. The malts and hops were well balanced enough but the aftertaste was not terribly pleasant. There was a slight adjunct taste to this beer. Does not compare to other blonde ales I've had, even though it wasn't horrible.

Alamo Golden Ale from Alamo Beer Co.