Alamo Golden Ale - Alamo Beer Co.

Alamo Golden AleAlamo Golden Ale

Alamo Beer Co. visit their website
Texas, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.10% ABV

Brewed by Alamo Beer Co., but currently distributed by Real Ale Brewing Co.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-13-2003)
canders0927

05-21-2013 15:05:19 | More by canders0927
SmellsofMahagony

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

05-17-2013 01:28:13 | More by SmellsofMahagony
mactrail

Washington

3.04/5  rDev -10.3%

Attractive in the glass with a decent head on the golden brew. Adequately spritzy and while light bodied, it does have a little malty mouthfeel. More of a Kolsch sensation, with a lemony hint. Nothing much of an aroma. Maybe a touch of crackers for flavor. Faintly sourish, though not unpleasantly so. Not much of any bitterness to describe. I let this warm up quite a bit, and it doesn't help much.

Not much to stir the imagination here. I guess I have to admit this is quite drinkable, but it's no better than the average Blonde. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Texas Wine Cellars in Fredericksburg, TX.

05-16-2013 04:45:12 | More by mactrail

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

03-28-2013 03:50:25 | More by Steve_Oldrati
TWHartman

3.44/5  rDev +1.5%

A- pale golden with clean white head, head retention pretty good for the style

S- light grainy sweetness balanced with grassy hop, pretty standard

T- lightly sweet from grain, maintains a nice finish. Grass and some spice from hops. Taste mimics smell strongly.

M- body is the most pleasant feature of the beer, flavor sticks to sides and back of tongue but still maintains a crisp finish

Overall a nice beer to drink outside on a nice warm day, I'd drink a couple.

03-25-2013 21:07:10 | More by TWHartman
FanofHefe

3.59/5  rDev +5.9%

Just finished a couple of these sitting on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. I have to admit, I would not normally rate a beer I drank out of a bottle, but I liked this one enough to come here and give it some props!

Color: have say golden like the label says. Nice label though!

Aroma: couldn't get a great nose but pleasant enough. Light hops and bit of grainy malt.

Flavor: OK, can comment here. Very decent. At first, it has a bit of a light lager start, but as I continued and had another, began noticing some nice light grassy hops combining nicely with the malt grain bill.

Light mouthfeel and very easy to drink. Very solid overall and could definitely see this being a regular in my fridge if available to me.

03-23-2013 21:18:12 | More by FanofHefe

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

01-06-2013 23:07:27 | More by TOP
obrike

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

This was brought over during my Christmas Eve dinner party. Looks like about 3 were left from the six pack. Lucky me!

Poured into my Molly's on the Market pint glass...a fairly big head that subsided farily quickly...a yellow straw color and just a few bits of lace sticking to the glass

I liked the scent. Quite fresh...a lightly nutty sweet malt with just a touch of grassy hops.

Taste followed scent. Easy drinking malt forward ale, balanced with some grassy hops. Not overly sweet at all. Almost drinks more like a lager than an ale. Very easy drinking, but the high carbonation is a bit of a distraction.

Not a bad beer for Alamo. It's weird, the label says this is a Real Ale beer...possibly Alamo is an off shoot? Would like to see more outta these guys...always willing to give the Texas breweries my business.

01-03-2013 02:52:14 | More by obrike
AlCaponeJunior

3.73/5  rDev +10%

One finger head with some retention and ok lacing topped this golden, pretty much clear beer. Rising bubbles steadily make their way up the sides of my glass.

Aroma is something along the lines of an adjunct lager, but with more character. A light hoppiness balances out a general grainy and light maltiness.

Taste was surprisingly good. Sweet malts come through first, along with a nice grainy and slightly grassy flavor. The hops are noticeable and well done. There's a very nice balance to this beer.

Body is very light and effervescent, easy to drink, well carbonated, with a sweet finish.

My biggest issue is that a beer this easy to drink should be canned so you can take it to the lake and on your fishin' boat. It's pretty tasty stuff. I just made a blonde ale that I am hoping comes out this light and tasty and easy to drink.

12-15-2012 22:35:13 | More by AlCaponeJunior
batt6343

10-13-2012 03:59:56 | More by batt6343
Mitchells_Beer

3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Temperature Note: I had a six-pack of this and my first bottle was served fairly cold, and that's how this beer left me: Cold. It was extremely unsatisfying and underwhelming. But, as I let it warm up, I became increasingly whelmed. I found the “sweet spot” to be around 60-64 degrees F. In that temperature range the flavors came into balance for me and I really enjoyed it, making it one of the best beers I’ve had in months. Once the temperature went over 65/66 degrees, it attained a bitterness that I don’t attribute entirely to the hops. I have a feeling that IPA lovers will enjoy this ale at a warmer temperature than I did, so I suggest you let it warm up a bit.

All my comments below are based on the beer when it’s in the “sweet spot” temperature range. If you drink it cold you will get very different results (such as no head and no aroma).

By the way: There is no ABV on the bottle or Web site, so I emailed the creator and he tells me that it has an ABV of 5.1%. I have submitted that info as a change, along with a note about how this is brewed by San Antonio’s Alamo Beer Company, but is currently distributed by the Real Ale Brewing Co. of Blanco, Texas.

---

Appearance: Cloudy yellow with a medium/heavy carbonation. The head was white but small and varied (I got anywhere between 1/2- to 2-fingers of cottony white head depending on how I poured it). Although I did get some lace after an aggressive pour, it did fade very quickly.

Aroma: Simple, yeasty, clear. I didn't get any hops, but there was a faintly sweet smell.

Taste: It’s hard for me to pick the gym class hero in this bottle, but the malt and hops played well together when it warmed up. I found there to be faint aromatics in the hops and a pleasing malt flavor. It was all very understated but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: This is where this ale really excels. The flavors stay with you after several minutes in a way that you usually only get from really thick dark beers. This was a very pleasant surprise and one of the reasons I really like this golden ale.

Overall Impression: As I said above, do NOT drink this “ice cold” or you will be sorely disappointed. This needs to warm up a bit to fully come alive and deliver to you a very solid golden ale that may not offer you a lot of surprises, it definitely gets the job done and does it well.

09-14-2012 19:11:47 | More by Mitchells_Beer
GMB

Japan

09-14-2012 01:39:35 | More by GMB
Alamo Golden Ale from Alamo Beer Co.