Microbrew Invitational

3.4

Off The Rail Brewery
Oregon, United States

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Summer

Added by katybee on 07-02-2011

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
Reviews by katybee:
3.4/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I believe I sampled this beer again, under the name "chocolate stout" at a different location, the Pub At The End of the Universe. At first I resisted the choice, except it had the new classification "chocolate stout"...so I tried it again.

This time it was served with a 1/2" head of carbonation. That might have given it a better texture on the tongue rather than syrupy flatness. A dark medium cola brown with some light reflection through. Pale tan head. Little nose, perhaps malty.

Definitely this beer lacks intense hopping. This batch was perhaps a bit breadier, though predominantly malty, but not sour and not hoppy. Very smooth, medium-light. The chocolate flavor is there, but more like semi-sweet syrup rather than bittersweet...

Overall, this beer is like a flat chocolate cola/beer....I don't know why it's being served with such low carbonation. It needs a little more bite; some hop character, maybe a little bitterness. Still, I like it better than a pilsner.

Poker Stout from Off The Rail Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.