Pale Ale - Coastal Fog Brewing

Pale AlePale Ale

Coastal Fog Brewing

American Pale Ale (APA) |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: beerguy101 on 10-04-2003)
Reviews by emerge077:
3.9/5  rDev +30.9%

Not sure if this is a new batch, recipe, etc., but the label says "brewed & bottled by Beermann's Limited, Roseville, CA". Identical label and name.

Dull gold body, creamy foam that leaves drippy, stalagtite lace around the glass. Mellow streams of ascending carbonation.

Very brief citrus note when first poured, then it's pretty nondescript. Bready, vaguely spicy.

Strong bitterness for a pale ale, intense and lingering in the finish. Bready pale malt undercurrent. Herbal and rind-like. Note of plain popcorn. Light juicy sweetness that is quicky snuffed by the dry bitterness. Ample carbonation, it feels right for the style. Fairly full bodied, i'd choose this over SNPA.

emerge077, Aug 06, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +15.8%

A average pale ale at best. This one poured a nice burnt orange color with a very small white head that faded into nothingness quite quickly. The smell was good with a fruity sweetness and a slight scent of toffee. The flavor was quite thrist quenching although it was pretty bland as well. A nice malt sweetness and that slight toffee flavor as well, with a minnimal hop presence. Decent for the $8.99 I paid for the 12 pack but I would not recommend this over all the other great APA choices out there.

Dmann, Oct 08, 2004
3.28/5  rDev +10.1%

Opened 12 fluid ounce bottle, poured into nonic tumbler.

Pours a creamy tan head of ¾" atop a hazy amber brown brew.

Smell is of hops and malts. Taste is bitter from hops, but not overly complex. Nothing great, but not a horrible beer either. The finish is mostly clean with a slight aftertaste. Beer is pretty drinkable, but nothing out standing.

BUT, I didn't buy this; a coworker got it at BevMo for $6 a twelve pack (regularly $12), so for the price (either price) this is a decent little brew to enjoy with a burger or some hot dogs.

mattster, Apr 24, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -7.7%

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Jun 07, 2013
2.4/5  rDev -19.5%

S: Soft bready malt, hint of citrus hoppiness, lemon rind

L: Hazy, burnt orange. White creamy head that dissipates.

T: Clean, bready malt with a faint fruity hoppiness. Deep earthy medium bitterness leading to some additional maltiness. Finishes semi-sweet with a touch of hoppiness.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Meh, I feel like it might be an old bottle. But even then, the malt profile was average at best.

bum732, Dec 03, 2012

allstar255, Jun 02, 2012
2.42/5  rDev -18.8%

Count me in as another who was suckered in by the $12 cases BevMo was doing for a while. The prospect of a decent craft beer for a buck each was too hard to pass up.

Three months later and I'm finally finishing up that same case. :/

It pours a dark amber body with a creamy looking head. I can't nail the strain of hops, but it smells skunky whatever it is. This can't be good.

Taste is boring... mildly hoppy, rotting oranges, skunky. I'm guessing this beer is either old, poorly executed, or both. I will say that the taste is marginally better than the nose.

Mouthfeel is thin, mildly carbonated, and somewhat smooth. It's probably this beer's best characteristic. It's just that the lousy taste makes you want to get it off your tongue as soon as possible.

Good luck downing more than one. You'll be craving something decent moments after your first sip.

I hate to bad mouth local breweries, but damn guys, this is the best you can do?

ThirdLap, Jan 15, 2009

zaptone, May 07, 2013

Karibourgeois, Mar 09, 2014
3.45/5  rDev +15.8%

Cheap 12 pack box of 12 oz bottles at BevMo, Fresno. So... low expectations, that were met with surprise. Pours a darkish amber orange. [English style?] Aroma was light, but not bad smelling. Nice creamy head that lasted about half way down [slow drinking] Taste was OK, malty with some hops. Not too bad for a summer beer, I'm thinking. Not sure about it's true origins, some speculation that it's contract brewed?
For the price, it's not bad.

ReDave, Jul 31, 2006
3.3/5  rDev +10.7%

Clear copper in color with light carbonation and moderate-to-thin off-white head. The aroma is pretty weakish -- some light, fruity malts dominate the scent and a slightly unpleasant tartness lingers in the background. Flavor starts with toasted malt, leading to a fairly standard APA hop finish. Well-balanced enough, but uninspired, and with something oddly harsh about the aftertaste. Eh.

mzwolinski, Feb 28, 2005
1.15/5  rDev -61.4%

Presentation: 22 ounce Bomber, the main label is exactly like that of the Amber Ale that I had recently. Labeled as ‘Coastal Fog’ in white text set against a black oval background which in turn is set against a cloudy upshot of one of the Golden Gate Bridge piers. Has the words ‘Look what just blew in’ above, with the beers names ‘Pale Ale’ below. No strength or freshness listed anywhere. In fact, not much information at all.

Appearance: Clear Amber body with copper hints and a thin whispy off-white head. Fine carbonation and……….F**K!!!! Oh my God……I just got a smell….my concentration is shattered and I’m finding it hard to judge the appearance when I know it smells, neigh STINKS, so bad.

Nose: Shite!!!! Uuurgh. Disgusting Odors invade my space and tell me “Dude, you bought a duff and this brew is gonna get ditched after a few mouthfuls”. My nose never lets me down it seems.

Taste: Ooooh my, this is fucking atrocious…………old starchy skunk piss mixed with an opened bottle of Newcastle Brown left out at a Party all weekend in a room heavy with cigarette smoke. Completely disgusting.

Mouthfeel: Hard to judge the mouthfeel when the Taste is so below par, in effect the chips are down long before I got to mark the mouthfeel that my attention had long gone south. Even so I’m trying to remain positive, taking the unselfish stance of putting the taste to one side……the mouthfeel is just as bad……thin and metallic….its just awful.

Drinkability: From the first sip – I was repulsed. Stuck it out for a few more mouthfuls but I soon decided that “discretion really is the better part of valor”, and I ditched well over 80% of this utterly disgusting brew.

Overall: Cost me $2.59 for the Bomber – was it worth it? – Absolutely NOT. I will keep the bottle though for my home-brewing mates, something good has to come out of this purchase. Shockingly amateur, seriously disgusting, awfully repugnant and incredibly “off-putting” overall. A way below average Pale Ale that lacks definition and character, and if you are feeling cruelly harsh it could be labeled as Utter Shite.

I would drink stale cat piss and watch the Shopping Channel whilst being anally probed my a long finger-nailed, fat fingered Martian suffering from Alzheimer’s rather than taste this crap again! <Shudder> Please don’t waste your money on this Junk, like I did.

TheLongBeachBum, Apr 16, 2005
3.73/5  rDev +25.2%

Pour into a pint glass, a bout an inch of thick creamy foam. Very cloudy appearance, but not quite as cloudy as say a hefeweizen.
Slight citrus hints mixed with caramel malt. Not a great beer out of the bottle. I'm sure it's much better on tap, as just about everything is. This would be a good beer for a summer BBQ, it's not too strong, but would definitely go good with some burgers and dogs.

noknife83, Apr 14, 2009

codynevels, Nov 18, 2011
3.15/5  rDev +5.7%

Medium gold color, medium white foamy head. Aroma is fruity and sweet. A lighter tasting pale ale, not very bitter, yet with a nice hop finish. Mild malt flavor, good malt/hop balance. Full flavor. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

beerguy101, Oct 04, 2003
3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

TrojanWheels, Jan 20, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -6%

You have to love free beer and the fact that I haven't had Coastal Fog before makes free taste even better but I just wish free could make beer taste like the best beer ever but one can wish.

Pours a clear orange color with no lacing. I tried to find a freshness date on the bottle but couldn't. Smells of bitter hops and tastes of bitter hops and it also tastes flat which is probably why it was free but I am still sticking by my numbers in this review because a fresh one probably couldn't make them higher.

BigB415, May 14, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +32.6%

12 pack - 12oz.
Okay I do not understand or quite see how this is such a low rated brew. I enjoyed the Amber Ale from Coastal Fog, but just yesterday purchased the 12 pack bottles of the Pale Ale. I enjoyed this beer from start to finish. Maybe it was the people, maybe not, I don't know. I tried a couple more this evening just to be sure of my conclusions - and it tastes the same.

The color is a dark golden one, with a relatively medium head to it. Smell is crisp of fresh hop and is somewhat skunky in a good way though, it is this beers character.

Mouth full feel was pretty awesome - a nice easy typical american pale ale and a good measured hop taste to go along with the smell, a smooth follow through.

Would go well with food, maybe pizza, or just by itself as a stand alone or a stand(5 count). I recommend.

BeerMeHearMe, Mar 20, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -21.1%

Picked this up at Bevmo for $2.49 on a whim, why not? I am kind of a beer snob but this beer does measure up to being a pale ale. It was not the slight bit bitter or have any hop aromas. This beer was like tasting a mildly skunky Newcastle, only slightly better. I do not mean to be so mean, but this was not a average beer by any means. It was amber colored and head was light and dissipated very quickly. I wish I could get my money back for this brew, seriously. This is my honest opinion. I tried to give this beer a good chance, but I followed it by a great brew and realized how blah it is.

SBPCGuru, Feb 22, 2005