IPA - Coastal Fog Brewing

IPAIPA

awful

Coastal Fog Brewing

(Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 02-13-2010)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by DrLasers:
DrLasers

1.65/5  rDev -18.3%

This beer falls flat on it's face. I really can't describe any noticeable characteristics because a split second after each sip I forget what I was drinking. I'm not really sure what this beer is about or what it's makers were trying to portray, but it's really not good.

05-14-2011 05:40:59 | More by DrLasers

lacqueredmouse

Australia

1.58/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Another foray into the Coastal Fog range, after mediocre experiences with their other beers, and with Hermitage and Tied House in general.

Pours a coppery orange colour, with a filmy and very insubstantial head of white. Minimal lace, minimal body, minimal visible carbonation. Looks quite underwhelming, although the colour is pleasant enough.

Nose is buttery, with very little else. Slightly extract-y rancid grain character, with a pungent sweetness and such a paltry dose of hops. This would be hop-light even for the maltiest style. For an IPA, it's shameful.

Taste is similar. Very overwhelming butterscotch diacetyl palate, with a perfunctory dose of bitterness at the end, by which time it's useless and unwelcome. Otherwise, thin, slightly grainy and very amateurish.

Pretty appalling beer, and actively offensive. I've no problem with this sort of generic, brewed-for-contract beer, but this one gives the style a bad name, and is far less palatable than many beers in far more generic and unpleasant styles.

Very unimpressed.

10-09-2011 01:26:29 | More by lacqueredmouse
notchucknorris

1.58/5  rDev -21.8%

Found this bottle in a cooler at a party over the weekend so I thought I'd give it a shot.

A: Copper color with a thin white head.

S: Some light floral hops and a strange, almost medicinal smell. Something about the smell had me worried.

T: Yup. Bad news. Some initial floral hop flavor is quickly replaced by the taste of bandaids, sulfur and what I can only imagine goat piss must taste like. This is really awful stuff.

10-03-2011 12:06:04 | More by notchucknorris
wagenvolks

1.93/5  rDev -4.5%

22oz bottle sent as an extra by DarthKostrizer. "Thanks?" ;)

Coastal Fog's IPA pours with a dull, hazy iced-tea hue with a decently retained but thin cap of khaki foam. The aroma reminds me of an English IPA in terms of maltiness with a grainy toffee sweetness. Unfortunately, the hops note reminds me of that same IPA if it were cellared for a year--stale and musty. Some slight hints of herbal pine, but sadly, a "West Coast IPA" aroma this is not.

Oh dear god this is awful stuff. Thin, watery body with mineral and sulfury off-notes galore. Astringent up front with bitter hops and absolutely zero malt flavor to back it up. The finish is devoid of flavor save for a lingering, medicinal hop bitterness. Soda-like carbonation and quite soapy in terms of mouthfeel. Unfortunately, this is a drain-pour for me, and from the looks of it, I'm not alone in that sentiment.

08-13-2011 01:52:23 | More by wagenvolks
damndirtyape

3.23/5  rDev +59.9%

22oz bomber, split into two Shaker pint glasses - one for me and one for the Mrs. No date.

Apearance: Hazy orange to amber beer. Poured an initial 1/4" off-white head, but this died down to a thin ring and an even thinner skin of foam across the top. Some lacing noted.

Smell: Faint orange hops with a lot of malt sweetness. Not really an American IPA when you smell it. Not unappealing, just much sweeter and maltier than I expected.

Taste: Faint bitterness up front moving quickly into toasted/roasted malt and caramel malt flavors. A little bit of bitterness at the end, but definitely a malt-forward beer. I've got a sweet tooth so I think it's okay, but again, not really an AIPA. Some of the hop bitterness becomes more pronounced when you let this beer get almost all the way to room temp, and then it's grapefruit citrus bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, minimal carbonation, with some lingering hop oils sticking to the teeth. Just a bit thicker than water. Nothing special.

Overall / Drinkability: San Fransisco style? Not sure what they mean by that on the bottle - it's certainly no Anchor which is what I associate with San Fransisco. Still, it's not a bad beer - the low rating for this one I don't get - I certainly don't think it's that bad as the other reviews indicate. Maybe there were several bad batches? However, it's not really hoppy enough for an AIPA. Solid malt backbone, just not enough hops I think. Definitely better when warm. I probably could have finished off the bomber by myself, but sharing it with someone else worked quite well here given the above average characteristic of the beer. So again, not a bad beer, but not something that is really grabbing my attention.

07-14-2011 22:17:18 | More by damndirtyape
PokerGod

2.73/5  rDev +35.1%

12oz bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance- copper-ish color, very clear. white head which dissipates quickly, no lacing.

Smell- Hoppy IPA, with a ?nutty? quality to it. Also a bit fruity as well.

Taste- Not special at all. Hoppy and Citrusy, but has a highly unpleasant bitter aftertaste thats actually a little metallic. Kind of tastes like sucking on an old penny.

Overall- Not impressed. No need to seek this beer out.

06-22-2011 05:03:17 | More by PokerGod
Seanibus

2.73/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It isn't outstanding, but isn't entirely offensive either. It comes off as a pleasant if entirely unremarkable light IPA, more English the the advertised "San Francisco style," whatever that may be.

Pours coppery with a strange, slightly granular-looking head with lots of carbonation from the bottom. The aroma is grainy and a little sour, maybe a little wheat in there, not much on the hops. The flavor is wheaty and grainy, with some toasted bread and nuttiness, a little whiff of floral hops in there. Not much bitterness on the finish, nor is there much in the way of hop character. The mouthfeel is insubstantial, but leaves that wheaty malt clinging to the tongue.

Overall? Well, I've had worse.

04-30-2011 00:10:33 | More by Seanibus
jealousmonk

1.05/5  rDev -48%

This may be the worst beer that I've ever tasted, with no exceptions necessary for mass market crap, low-end offerings in the former Soviet bloc, homebrewing misfires, or any other terrible experiences. I'm not going to attempt to describe the usual characteristics because I took one drink of this beer and decided it had gone bad. Even after trying a couple more bottlers, we were convinced it had expired until I checked BA and saw others having the same experience. AVOID AVOID AVOID

03-28-2011 17:00:11 | More by jealousmonk
karin

1.85/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Lesson learned...read bearadvocate reviews first! This beer is as reviewed here. It is not good. I am a home brewer (and not very good), but I can make a better IPA. I love beer, but can not give this a pass. At $9.99 it is good for one thing; to get you drunk.

03-23-2011 01:02:53 | More by karin
ilpazzo

1.18/5  rDev -41.6%

I picked up this bottle on the cheap at BevMo. Should have been my first warning, but it was allegedly from a Brewer in San Jose, and enjoying other brews from NorCal figured I'd give it a try, for the price.

Poured it into a pint glass, it was a very odd orange color. One I had never really seen in a beer before. Coppery doesn't really describe it, as it had a very orange hue to it.

Smelled like cardboard had been sitting in water and hops. That's the only way I can describe the smell.

Got gutsy, and decided to taste it. The hoppiness you taste initially disappears within seconds, and again it tastes like cardboard water. I then handed it over to my wife, and asked her what she thought of it (having been able to hide my distaste from her). She comments, "Ugh, It tastes like cardboard water!" "That's what I said!" I replied, and promptly poured the bottle down the drain. I have NEVER not finished a beer before, this was just awful. Is this beer a joke, and BevMo hasn't let the public in on it yet?

02-18-2011 17:25:15 | More by ilpazzo
mcslims

1.3/5  rDev -35.6%

As other reviewers have noted, do not be fooled by the 11.99 price for a 12 pack at BevMo! I was doubting the beer from the start because it didn't state the ABV, which is an amateur move for a microbrew in my opinion.

This does not taste much like an IPA at all, but more of a hoppy amber with a metallic aftertaste. Tastes like it came out of a tin can. I'm still a novice at home brew, but my IPA tasted better than this by a long shot.

In the future, I will never purchase from Coastal Fog again, and I will advise others not to as well if I see them making a mistake at the store.

**Edit**
The only reason why I bought this 12 pack in the first place was to create some more empty bottles for my home brew, but I just noticed that these are twist offs!!! Seriously!?! What pathetic excuse for a craft brew uses twist off bottles?

01-26-2011 22:34:29 | More by mcslims
ubermick

1.2/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Light amber, llittle carbonation.

S: Malty, earthy. Certainly not hoppy.

T: Oh. Dear. God. Hands down the worst IPA I've ever had. Horrendous, metallic, no bitterness, and astringent.

M: Thin and watery.

D: Zero, zilch, nothing, nada. I couldn't even swallow the first mouthful, and the rest was poured over the bushes. (Which may have died by now.)

As a homebrewer, I'm apalled at what these guys consider fit to drink, let alone to demand people pay for. This beer was so bad, I was convinced that I had a spoiled or oxygenated bottle, but the reviews from everyone else prove it.

I'd honestly rather have a Budweiser.

11-18-2010 04:45:30 | More by ubermick
jhollick

1.35/5  rDev -33.2%

I'm glad I looked at the reviews on here. I thought I just got a bad batch from my beer of the month club.

This tastes as bad as the worst homebrew I have ever created. I honestly thought that the beer was infected. Sadly, it sounds like my experience was right on par with everyone else. I'm not sure how anything like this could have been brewed more than once, let alone unleashed and sold to the public. The best I can do to describe the taste is metallic and sour (and not a good sour!). One nice thing is that it actually looked pretty appetizing as I poured it...decent color and clarity.

Anyway, I only made it through a couple sips and had to pour it. I really hope this beer was from a spoiled batch, because if not, this is the worst beer I have ever tasted.

11-07-2010 19:36:20 | More by jhollick
edwino

Arizona

I don't really rate beers but this one goes out as a warning.

Putrid. Tastes like a home brew experience gone horribly wrong.

Avoid at all costs... Could barely get past the first couple of sips.

I just can't explain how awful this was. What a shame that it is being foisted on people as craft beer.

11-03-2010 06:19:55 | More by edwino
steelerguy

2.2/5  rDev +8.9%

A - Copper color with low carbonation with a small soapy head that fades quickly.

S - Sweet caramel malt...is this an IPA?

T - Lots of sweet caramel malt, very little hop bitterness, even less hop flavor, end with a nasty metallic flavor.

M - Moderate body, not bad, but hardly makes up for the rest of the beer.

D - I'd rather not have another bottle...but I have 2 more...sigh.

I really don't understand how beers like this can be brewed by a company that can stay in business for more than a few months. Even more disappointing this came in a craft beer club box...this is not craft beer, this is thrown together blah.

10-29-2010 23:47:32 | More by steelerguy
thejewthatbrews

Honey-amber in color.

Aroma of caramel, no hops.

Little hops detectable on palate; mainly a sweet, thin caramel flavor, with a bit of a steely note. Some bitterness, but without the hop aroma to back it up, leaves me thinking it's not quite enough for an IPA.

Easy to drink, but not very exciting. Honestly might be better under a different style, or with some late hop additions to boost aroma (and subsequent perceived hoppiness).

10-27-2010 05:30:07 | More by thejewthatbrews