IPA - Coastal Fog Brewing

IPAIPA

awful

Coastal Fog Brewing

(Beer added by: ThreeWiseMen on 02-13-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by damndirtyape:
3.23/5  rDev +59.9%

22oz bomber, split into two Shaker pint glasses - one for me and one for the Mrs. No date.

Apearance: Hazy orange to amber beer. Poured an initial 1/4" off-white head, but this died down to a thin ring and an even thinner skin of foam across the top. Some lacing noted.

Smell: Faint orange hops with a lot of malt sweetness. Not really an American IPA when you smell it. Not unappealing, just much sweeter and maltier than I expected.

Taste: Faint bitterness up front moving quickly into toasted/roasted malt and caramel malt flavors. A little bit of bitterness at the end, but definitely a malt-forward beer. I've got a sweet tooth so I think it's okay, but again, not really an AIPA. Some of the hop bitterness becomes more pronounced when you let this beer get almost all the way to room temp, and then it's grapefruit citrus bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, minimal carbonation, with some lingering hop oils sticking to the teeth. Just a bit thicker than water. Nothing special.

Overall / Drinkability: San Fransisco style? Not sure what they mean by that on the bottle - it's certainly no Anchor which is what I associate with San Fransisco. Still, it's not a bad beer - the low rating for this one I don't get - I certainly don't think it's that bad as the other reviews indicate. Maybe there were several bad batches? However, it's not really hoppy enough for an AIPA. Solid malt backbone, just not enough hops I think. Definitely better when warm. I probably could have finished off the bomber by myself, but sharing it with someone else worked quite well here given the above average characteristic of the beer. So again, not a bad beer, but not something that is really grabbing my attention.

damndirtyape, Jul 14, 2011
2.35/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance - This is a very shiny dark copper brown in color with strong orange influences. I really don't know what to make of this. It has no head and the color is very dark for the style.

Smell - The strong nutty aroma reminds me more of, well, a nut brown ale than an AIPA. I know that these organic types often show a nutty character but this is like a can of Planters and I can't really find anything else in the nose.

Taste - Here I'm getting some rich malt and a light grassy hop flavor but still the nuts dominate.

Mouthfeel - This is well shy of medium-bodied with a bit of drying at the finish that I actually enjoyed. The beer was too thin for my preference though.

Sinkability - I don't know what this is but besides avoiding all form of proper classification it just didn't go down well.

RoyalT, Sep 25, 2010
2.2/5  rDev +8.9%

A - Copper color with low carbonation with a small soapy head that fades quickly.

S - Sweet caramel malt...is this an IPA?

T - Lots of sweet caramel malt, very little hop bitterness, even less hop flavor, end with a nasty metallic flavor.

M - Moderate body, not bad, but hardly makes up for the rest of the beer.

D - I'd rather not have another bottle...but I have 2 more...sigh.

I really don't understand how beers like this can be brewed by a company that can stay in business for more than a few months. Even more disappointing this came in a craft beer club box...this is not craft beer, this is thrown together blah.

steelerguy, Oct 29, 2010
1.18/5  rDev -41.6%

I picked up this bottle on the cheap at BevMo. Should have been my first warning, but it was allegedly from a Brewer in San Jose, and enjoying other brews from NorCal figured I'd give it a try, for the price.

Poured it into a pint glass, it was a very odd orange color. One I had never really seen in a beer before. Coppery doesn't really describe it, as it had a very orange hue to it.

Smelled like cardboard had been sitting in water and hops. That's the only way I can describe the smell.

Got gutsy, and decided to taste it. The hoppiness you taste initially disappears within seconds, and again it tastes like cardboard water. I then handed it over to my wife, and asked her what she thought of it (having been able to hide my distaste from her). She comments, "Ugh, It tastes like cardboard water!" "That's what I said!" I replied, and promptly poured the bottle down the drain. I have NEVER not finished a beer before, this was just awful. Is this beer a joke, and BevMo hasn't let the public in on it yet?

ilpazzo, Feb 18, 2011
2.95/5  rDev +46%

Good copper color, decent head and lacing clinging to the glass. Aroma just wasn't there, almost metallic feel to it.

Very bitter beer, not much dry hopping, long hop boil I'd guess, thinking they can keep costs down (cheap homebrewer move). Could easily pass this off as an esb. I liked the bitterness, this is a good tailgate beer to drink from the bottle no need to pour it out into a glass.

Can't believe this has such a low rating. I'd buy it again, super cheap and easy to drink. Complex? Not even.

Beerandraiderfan, Sep 30, 2010
2.25/5  rDev +11.4%

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Jun 07, 2013
2.5/5  rDev +23.8%

Honey-amber in color.

Aroma of caramel, no hops.

Little hops detectable on palate; mainly a sweet, thin caramel flavor, with a bit of a steely note. Some bitterness, but without the hop aroma to back it up, leaves me thinking it's not quite enough for an IPA.

Easy to drink, but not very exciting. Honestly might be better under a different style, or with some late hop additions to boost aroma (and subsequent perceived hoppiness).

thejewthatbrews, Oct 27, 2010
2.42/5  rDev +19.8%

Found this in a mystery box at BevMo recently. Seems to be an in-house label for BevMo? Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. twistoff bottle. Pours a clear golden copper in color with half an inch of off white foam. Decent retention and light lacing follow.

Smell is sweet with light smoky hop presence. Citric malts outbalance the hops until the pour gets some air and settles in carbonation. Says 'San Francisco Style' on the bottle and this is surely not a SoCal. IPA.

Taste is light yet ends with a firm bitterness and a lightly chalky close that comes at a bit of a surprise given the light hop nose. Light citric notes on the finish.

Feel is full and somewhat creamy in nature as the carbonation keeps a slightly frothy cap for the duration of the glass. Not bad but atypical for the style and lacking in crispness as a result. Drink is kept in check by the dry finish.

Overall not horrible but doesn't really have anything to offer and drinks more like a dry Pale Ale. Light overall and less than 6% I would guess.

HalfFull, Mar 07, 2010
2.38/5  rDev +17.8%

Orange/amber with no head.

Nose is of light watermelon and light fresh green pear; light and elegant but not very much like an IPA.

Mouthfeel is big and full with an extremely light carbonation.

Flavors are very burnt toast with bitter pine. Not terrible just not well integrated or balanced and with no brightness.

Finish is light pine/weak bitter coffee.

Not terrible - just not good.

GRG1313, Jul 01, 2010
2.1/5  rDev +4%

Appearance - Pours a clear, golden/orange color with about half a finger of head after a relatively vigorous pour. Light lacing is left on the sides of the glass.

Smell - An almost nonexistent light hoppy smell, slight caramel malts, and as someone put it, an almost metallic attribute to it.

Taste - Oh wow. The initial taste is...water? There is literally NO flavor at first then an almost sickening off malty taste with literally no hop presence. Freaking gross.

Mouthfeel - Very light bodied, and after holding the glass up to the light I think I counted four bubbles in a ten second span. Almost flat.

Drinkability - None. Drain pour. As others have said, you get what you pay for. This was a massive disappointment. The sad part is, I would choose a bud light over this because in this case, BL really IS more drinkable.

SpdKilz, May 27, 2010
1.2/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Light amber, llittle carbonation.

S: Malty, earthy. Certainly not hoppy.

T: Oh. Dear. God. Hands down the worst IPA I've ever had. Horrendous, metallic, no bitterness, and astringent.

M: Thin and watery.

D: Zero, zilch, nothing, nada. I couldn't even swallow the first mouthful, and the rest was poured over the bushes. (Which may have died by now.)

As a homebrewer, I'm apalled at what these guys consider fit to drink, let alone to demand people pay for. This beer was so bad, I was convinced that I had a spoiled or oxygenated bottle, but the reviews from everyone else prove it.

I'd honestly rather have a Budweiser.

ubermick, Nov 18, 2010
1.55/5  rDev -23.3%

Terrible. A poor, poor excuse for an IPA. Be wary of this mildly enticing cheap IPA in 12 packs at Bevmo. The reason they continue to carry this product is beyond me. The most similar beer I can compare it to is a watered-down newcastle. Super thin flavor with no real hop presence, straight up not an IPA. Mouthfeel is coors lightesque. I repeat, DO NOT buy this product if you see it at Bevmo and think you are getting some kind of deal on a midlevel IPA, this is very, very sub-par.

Dspohn, Oct 11, 2010
2.25/5  rDev +11.4%

DarthKostrizer, Apr 30, 2014
2.38/5  rDev +17.8%

Picked up a bomber from BevMo in San Jose, CA. I remember noting this being one of the lowest priced bombers of craft brew I'd ever seen. Brewed right here in San Jose, huh? Surprised I have not heard of it.

Pours thin and transparent with a golden copper color. Wispy head dissipates quickly leaving very little behind.

Aroma is lacking, especially in the hop department. Lots of sweet caramel malts with a decent balance; reminds me more of an amber than anything. Some artificial sweetness too, like a candied raisin or something.

Taste is similar to nose without any real assertive flavors besides this artificial sweetness and a finish of raw adjunct common in many C level home brews.

Mouthfeel is very thin and watery. Not much carbonation in the mouth. Medium finish of raw adjunct which I mentioned above.

Despite this not being a great beer by any means, it is drinkable. If this was all I had to drink, I would be disappointed, but it would be better than nothing to me. If a friend concocted this, I would congratulate them for a drinkable home brew. Let's just go with that. I still don't think I will ever buy or recommend this to anyone.

ibbjamin, Jul 30, 2010
2.5/5  rDev +23.8%

Alron, Dec 08, 2013
2.63/5  rDev +30.2%

Arrived at my door via BOTMC, twist off top? Some beers come in twist off tops, let's give it a whirl. This bottle is full almost to the top, should get my money's worth out of this one. Popping the top yields a malty licorice smell. Beer pours to a typical orange tinged bronze color of an IPA with a thin foamy head. On the taste this brew has a slight hop bite and a chaulky maltiness. Taste is consistent throughout with an aftertaste that fades sweet and bitter, same as the taste. No real bite for an IPA, kind of bland. Mouthfeel substancial but not chewy like most IPAs. A basic brew on the bottom band of IPAs.
P.S. After my review, reading other reviews, looks like I got stiffed by BOTMC on a cost cutting effort, SAD.
On a second I just opened another, BOTMC is now terminated. Nasty.

mooseisloose, Sep 19, 2010
2.73/5  rDev +35.1%

12oz bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance- copper-ish color, very clear. white head which dissipates quickly, no lacing.

Smell- Hoppy IPA, with a ?nutty? quality to it. Also a bit fruity as well.

Taste- Not special at all. Hoppy and Citrusy, but has a highly unpleasant bitter aftertaste thats actually a little metallic. Kind of tastes like sucking on an old penny.

Overall- Not impressed. No need to seek this beer out.

PokerGod, Jun 22, 2011

A - Pours hazy orange with a very flat head that fades super quick. No lacing down the glass either.

S - Probably the only bright spot for this beer, which isn't saying much. Has a very light citrus hop aroma which is actually pretty nice, problem is it's super faint and hardly noticeable. Some wheat/corn flavors in the background which is kinda funky.

T - Not what I was expecting at all from an IPA. Hardly any hops flavor or bitterness and has a funky tang in the aftertaste. Pretty bad.

M/D - Very light body with a light dry aftertaste. No bitter flavors left from the hops. Drinkability is low because it's not very tempting to go back for another sip.

I didn't know it was possible to ruin an IPA. I'm hoping the beer is contaminated during brewing because it's just bad.

VaTechHopHead, Mar 13, 2010
1.58/5  rDev -21.8%

Found this bottle in a cooler at a party over the weekend so I thought I'd give it a shot.

A: Copper color with a thin white head.

S: Some light floral hops and a strange, almost medicinal smell. Something about the smell had me worried.

T: Yup. Bad news. Some initial floral hop flavor is quickly replaced by the taste of bandaids, sulfur and what I can only imagine goat piss must taste like. This is really awful stuff.

notchucknorris, Oct 03, 2011

I don't really rate beers but this one goes out as a warning.

Putrid. Tastes like a home brew experience gone horribly wrong.

Avoid at all costs... Could barely get past the first couple of sips.

I just can't explain how awful this was. What a shame that it is being foisted on people as craft beer.

edwino, Nov 03, 2010
1.5/5  rDev -25.7%

My local Bevmo bought up a stockpile of this brew. Cases were abound and I decided to give it a whirl. My experience with this brewer has been decidedly bad. Why not give it another whirl.

This tastes like a second run brew. A small beer of sorts. It shows a faint effort at a hop directive. This one feels and tastes like its cut with H2O. Very watered and uneventful.

I was baited back into this because of the low price. Rather than buy three of these get one of something good. Boring.

DogFood11, Jul 15, 2010
1.35/5  rDev -33.2%

I'm glad I looked at the reviews on here. I thought I just got a bad batch from my beer of the month club.

This tastes as bad as the worst homebrew I have ever created. I honestly thought that the beer was infected. Sadly, it sounds like my experience was right on par with everyone else. I'm not sure how anything like this could have been brewed more than once, let alone unleashed and sold to the public. The best I can do to describe the taste is metallic and sour (and not a good sour!). One nice thing is that it actually looked pretty appetizing as I poured it...decent color and clarity.

Anyway, I only made it through a couple sips and had to pour it. I really hope this beer was from a spoiled batch, because if not, this is the worst beer I have ever tasted.

jhollick, Nov 07, 2010

MickeyHops, Sep 15, 2013
1.3/5  rDev -35.6%

As other reviewers have noted, do not be fooled by the 11.99 price for a 12 pack at BevMo! I was doubting the beer from the start because it didn't state the ABV, which is an amateur move for a microbrew in my opinion.

This does not taste much like an IPA at all, but more of a hoppy amber with a metallic aftertaste. Tastes like it came out of a tin can. I'm still a novice at home brew, but my IPA tasted better than this by a long shot.

In the future, I will never purchase from Coastal Fog again, and I will advise others not to as well if I see them making a mistake at the store.

**Edit**
The only reason why I bought this 12 pack in the first place was to create some more empty bottles for my home brew, but I just noticed that these are twist offs!!! Seriously!?! What pathetic excuse for a craft brew uses twist off bottles?

mcslims, Jan 26, 2011
1.73/5  rDev -14.4%

Picked this up at BevMo checkout for less than $3 for a bomber. Looked interesting, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Smells and tastes nothing like the IPAs, ESPECIALLY the West Coast IPAs that I have been enjoying for the past 3 years.

Very light hoppy smell. Tastes metallic and kinda cloying with a thin mouthfeel and slight hop bitterness held up by, you guessed it, more metal.

I like to drink and support local brews, but in a market where the bar is set pretty high, this one is doing the limbo under it...

DrScotch, May 25, 2010