Join our email list →

Beer added by: Viggo on 01-19-2007

Reviews by pootz:
3.8/5  rDev +14.8%

on tap at the Kiwi .

Poured a slightly hazy light amber-orange with a 1 finger white cap that reduced to a good lace that stayed Medium carbonation.

Best nose of all the F&M brews....aromas of toast, caramel malts and a thin whisp of sage or pine.

Starts bolder up front than other brews from this brewer, with a nice oily mouth feel and medium body where the toasty-caramel malt sits in almost perfect balance with the musty-sage hopping. Finish is clean with a mellow hop aftertaste.

The outstanding character of this brew for me was its uncanny, almost perfect balance. Strangely, one of the best balanced ales I ever tasted... A nice session brew...much like a light scotch ale....I'll buy more

3.08/5  rDev -6.9%

A light edgy amount, with slight colour, a little at end of cask. A little head. Creamy mouthfeel, bittersweet peaty not too bad. Rather basic for a scotch, but what else do you call it. As a cask, not significant smell. Let Mr. MacLean spread his wings and brew what he pleases.

3.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours slightly hazy, copper brown, nice thick off white head, very dense, nice lacing and good retention. Smell is sweet, toffee, some yeast, citrus and floral hops, nice maltiness, I dig it. Taste is very malty with some sweetness, bread and yeast through the middle, almost earthy, toffee and a floral finish. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with low carbonation, very smooth and drinkable, a nice beer.

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

3.06/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I tried this on cask at C'est What, advertised as 7%.

It has a massive creamy bone colored head, very large and good retention for a cask ale. Decent lace trails stick to the glass. The aroma is malty, roasty and slightly peppery with alocohol. The taste is way too dominated by fusel alcohol. Some dark malt toastiness and yeast fruit esters mingle with languid UK hops, but the booze is too much. Bread and caramel show as the pint warms. The mouthfeel is medium thick with some alcohol numbing. the finish is sweet and spicey with booze.

This beer suffers a major flaw: Fusel alcohol. A beer of this strength (or any strength) should have so much booze flavor. That being said, the robust malt flavor almost balances it out, but doesnt.

3.03/5  rDev -8.5%

6.5%? Now I know why I was feeling a little light headed before dinner at Volo last night. Cask tapped on Wednesday, so not at its freshest, but still in decent shape.

Ruby body with a bubbly bone white head. No lace. Muted caramel and alcohol aroma. My initial feeling was that the beer tasted inky, but once the palate acclimatised I started to pick up on peat and smoke. It really did remind me of a scotch (though I don't drink the stuff). Some caramel and sweet bready malts lurk in the background, but are obscured by alcohol. I see my reviews don't really jive with the rest, and I'm presuming that this is because the beer is past its peak, but I'm curious and happy with how its developed. I was expecting a regular scotch malt bomb, but it actually felt barrel aged, and all the more scottish for it. Mouthfeel was a tad light for a cask. Strong flavours would prevent me from having another.

MacLean's Scotch Ale from F&M Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.