Fuller's ESB - Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller's ESBFuller's ESB

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fuller's ESB Alström Bros
Jredner

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

Aroma is sweet malt with a bit of nuttines and low bitterness hops. Light copper in color with a thumb thick white head. Fruit, Malt and Nutty aftertastes come out in abundance once it warms up a little, but initially the bitterness is the most noteable feature. English ESB’s taste so much more refined to me than the wild and wooly American offerings and this one is one of the best from England.

03-08-2006 19:28:40 | More by Jredner
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Fantastic session brew, even if it's a little high on the ABV. Had this on tap at the Olde Angel Inn in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Poured into a Kilkenny glass. Nice 1/2 inch creamy head, light to medium brown colour, some reddish highlights.

I didn't get much out of the smell, although it's often hard in a pub setting to get past the smell of fried food and such. Some malty sweetness, a bit of hop bite, mild caramel and bread.

Taste is great. Another beer I could drink all day. Well balanced malt and hops, with a nice bitterness -- definitely present, but not overpowering. Mild, bready aftertaste, great full mouthfeel. I found myself gulping at the end and wanting more.

03-07-2006 16:42:58 | More by crwills
beermanbrian

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Nice copper color. White head foams up with a heavy pour but drops quickly to a film that leaves almost no lacing. Almost no carbonation activity. Smell of butterscotch, faint alcohol, and some light fruitiness. The butterscotch comes to the front in the taste for me. I assume this is diactyl. I have found that once I note this taste in a beer it is something I just can't get past. It becomes the dominant taste and it just overpowers everything else on my palate. In this case it wasn't as overpowering as i've noted in the past but it was still there and I can never quite get it out of my mind as I drink this one. Some malt flavors and spicyness do break through. Overall an OK beer but not one that I will return to often. I know I am going against the grain on this one but the butterscotch just kills this one for me.

03-06-2006 01:01:49 | More by beermanbrian
Rezzin

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

A - Poured a deep red / copper hue. 1" white head that drops fairly quickly. Minimal lacing in my pint glass. Looks inviting.

S - Sweet caramel and toasty. Plums and apples. I don't detect much of a hop presence but I am somewhat getting over a cold. Smells clean and good.

T - Slight alcohol sweetness. Nuts, plums, and caramel all balanced together. It's good. Slightly bitter but not overly so.

M - Moderate carbonation. Body is full, maybe slightly on the thin side to me. Makes me pucker a little afterwards. Still, it's pretty refreshing - a perfect dinner beer.

D - I'd definitely order this if I went out to eat. It's not my favorite beer but it's deginitely one to try if you haven't so already. Overall a good beer.

02-26-2006 00:36:40 | More by Rezzin
gbarron

Georgia

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Had a 16 oz. draft pint at the Flying Saucer, Columbia, SC.

A - light amber, orange hues, perfectly clear. Nice, bright white head about a finger thick, stays around the entire beer, leaves beautiful lacing.

S - toasty, malty, caramel. Hints of earthy hops. Amazing aroma, very unique. Very yeasty and biscuity.

T - wow, the flavor of this beer is so unique it is difficult to describe. Earthy hop bitterness (Target, Challenger and UK Northern Brewer hops) extremely well balanced with a deep, complex, minerally dry maltiness. Tastes of fresh toast, caramel, biscuits. Almost a little orangey, tangy.

M - medium to medium light body, yet still chewy. Dry, minerally feel on your tongue.

D - but for the alcohol, in my mind, this would be the perfect session beer. Exceptional flavor, doesn't leave you too full.

The definitive ESB, folks.

02-22-2006 14:54:40 | More by gbarron
surfadelic23

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Had this at the Swann up by Lancaster Gate tube Station. A nice pub but only had two fullers choices on cask. I tried this one first!
It poured a nice coppery bronzish color with a quickly disappearring head. It had a yummy malty scent. This was my first pint in London and the taste was malty with a nice caramel taste and a very faint hop finish. This drank way too easily I enjoyed this one from the top to the bottom. My only regret is I can't imagine it being this good back in the states...

02-20-2006 19:09:30 | More by surfadelic23
ggaughan

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

On handpump at the Elephant and Castle in Philly. The beer poured a clear brownish amber color into a pint glass with minimal head and lacing. The aroma is a toasty malt kick with floral hops to it. The taste was more burn than toasty to me and not as enjoyable as I was expecting from this ESB. Overall it is a good beer but not a favorite of mine in this style.

02-18-2006 03:52:08 | More by ggaughan
DogFood11

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

Waves and Waves of carbonation billow to the surface. White head leaves blanket lacing. Deep copper to brown color with good clarity.

I haven't had a ton of ESB's but the ones I've had were alot mellower than this. This comes at ya with some earthy hop zip thats rough around the edges, Toasted malts, finishing a bit lingering but clean enough for me.

Alcohol comes through easily, Herbal portion becomes a bit musky to me, but in the end the hops clean up. I liked it and I understand it is the workhorse of the ESB field. It was just OK to me.

02-18-2006 01:49:14 | More by DogFood11
jaluria

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Had this on-tap at Union Jack's in Bethesda and it's one of the better ESBs I've had.
Appeared a burgundy-brown color in my pint glass with a soft white head that stayed intact for more than a few seconds. Low level of carbonation was present. Aromas of roasted malt, grains, and alcohol dominated. The taste was sweet, but not overly so with plenty of roasted malt flavoring balanced nicely with by the mild hop profile. Unusual texture with so little carbonation, it was still rich and complex and yet not overpowering. I enjoyed two pints of this and could have had more, but I wanted to switch it up.

02-13-2006 14:16:56 | More by jaluria
akahn

Presented in a classy, slender 11.2 oz bottle with a nice label and a printed best-before date.

Pours a deep amber-peach color with an off-white head, tall and sticky. It sinks to a skim and leaves wide sheets of lace.

Pungent, sweet aroma. Sweet biscuity malt and fruit smells. I'm surprised to find dark fruit aromas reminiscent of a barleywine, such as plum. Butterscotch as well.

Malty and sweet, medium to full body, extremely smooth around round mouthfeel. Carbonation is gentle. A mild hop flavor hovers over, juicy, spicy and mildly puckering and drying in the finish. No butterscotch in the flavor, instead caramel. Unfortunately, I pick up a metallic note in the finish, that I find unpleasant -- I guess this could just be from the water used?

Anyways, this is a tasty beer. I may be crazy, but I pick up a slight alcohol character... leading me further to think of this as a 'little' barleywine. This beer would be nice to have a few of, and I'm curious what it's like on tap.

02-10-2006 19:54:28 | More by akahn
pbr85

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice deep amber brown with 2 inches of off white head that diminish slowly to a thin ring around the edge. Lacing is minimal.
Smell: Smell is not strong. Sweet, caramely malts are the only thing that is there.
Taste: So its been a while since I've had something without megahop presence. I can't get away from the idea that this tastes like tea, specifically Earl Grey tea. Lemon is hidden in the background and there is a slight bitter taste.
Mouthfeel: Carbonation is low and the beer is dry on the tongue. I still can't escape the tea idea because the mouthfeel is almost identical to tea.
Drinkability: Nothing overwhelming so it is a highly drinkable beer, possibly a session beer? Well worth trying.

02-10-2006 03:20:53 | More by pbr85
clabaugh

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Pours a clear, ruby-brown with a billowing head colored a sandy white. Retention is superb. Lacing is quite good.

Smell: Sweet, roasty malts, hints of caramel. Fruity esters fill the nostrils as well. The hops spring forth in a nectar-like aroma.

Taste: Dry, roasted, almost burnt grains, not to suggest unpleasantness however. Hop character is bitter, and fights through the malts in a piney flavor. A very austere taste: bold, earthy, pure. Fine balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, some faint chewiness. Tingly as it caresses the mouth. Well-apportioned, and carbonated to the right degree.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable. No overwhelming flavors that preclude consistent consumption. Flavor is bold enough, with no unwelcome aftertaste. Altogether admirable. Perfect session beer.

02-10-2006 03:12:25 | More by clabaugh
walleye

poured amber with a med. size light tan head.aroma fruits, the fuzzy kind like peaches, malts, some caramel and butterscotch. flavor.malts and caramel, toffee hint of cherries. a nice mouth feel on this one with a nice bitter finish. one of the better esbs I have had

02-04-2006 01:55:08 | More by walleye
Blakaeris

Iowa

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours perfectly clear copper color. Head is white and creamy with plenty of lacing. Looks very tasty.

Smell is toasted malt with light fruit and hop notes.

Taste is toasted malt and hops in a pleasant balance. Finish is crisp with a touch of grain and a nice nuttiness that lingers. Light fruit and carmel gives the brew additional character.

Mouthfeel is quite smooth and buttery.

This is an excellent session beer. Very drinkable.

01-29-2006 16:00:42 | More by Blakaeris
SupaCelt

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

This beer pours a copper tone with a nice tannish head from a manly dump. The head crashes into oblivion, but ends up dusting the surface of my beer and tossing some thick lace at the side of my glass. Very fine carbon dioxide bubbles can be seen making their way toward the unknown reaches of their small galaxy. The nose is richly bready. Somewhat of a lightly toasted sourdough appeal. There seems to be a pinch of ginger and some old fruit and caramel scents as well. The taste is extremely well proportioned. The bitterness is not much more than a namesake here as was expected. It is vaguely bitter, with most of the accent falling into the malt arena. Ginger impressions dot the bready malt and there is a pleasant brown sugar feel in the finish. Hopping seems subdued in the nose and citrus and dry qualities are nonexistant here. This is very pleasant and well rounded. I can understand why it is recommended as an initiation into the style. My first ESB experience was less than stellar, but this one gives me hope for the style. Well done and curiously tasteful.

01-26-2006 06:24:15 | More by SupaCelt
taez555

3.5/5  rDev -14%

This beer poured a clear orange/tan body with a small off-white head.

The nose has a strong biscuit malt smell.

Taste is medium bodied with an interestingly metallic or maybe stone like water flavor. A hoppy astringent fruit flavor flows against a caramel and biscuit malt. Not super bitter, but it is quite present and is slightly bigger than the malt base. Flavor has a nice toasted roasted slightly burnt wood tone as well bordering slightly on a brown ale, but clearly staying ESB.

A classic for sure. The mineraly water flavor is constantly in your face. Big malt, yet very smooth and light. Big hops and bitterness, but oh so drinkable. A beer that needs to be tried on cask, but works well here as well.

01-26-2006 01:06:01 | More by taez555
PCaravan

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

If I had to give a favourite beer this might be it. I always look forward to it and since this beer is not new to me I may reviewed it here previously but I don't remember.

Pours to reveal a light amber beer with a thin white head. The head doesn't seem to last but it does leave a little lacing on the side of the glass. Complex aroma of fruity esters, earthy English hops, and caramel malts. In the mouth, it's rich and robust all the way through with initially caramel malts with a hint of toastiness followed by those wonderful earthy (maybe a bit spicey) hops and a profuse bitterness that rears its head as you swallow and then lingers for some time afterwards. It's strong flavors will keep you from drinking a lot of this at one sitting but you'll be happy to sip on a little all night long. If you haven't had this, you're missing out!

01-22-2006 09:15:53 | More by PCaravan
MrHolland

South Carolina

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a dark honey brown with a head the retains for a few mins.

Smells of hops and caramel.. quite an odd smell if you ask me

Taste bitter with a touch of hops at first with a malty after taste.

Mouthfeel - cant say much bout mouthfeel except it is well carbonated.

Could drink quite few of these all through the night but the 5.9 will catch up to me.

01-22-2006 03:30:20 | More by MrHolland
sloejams

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

cask - Lucky Baldwin's, Pasadena

Pulled into a pint glass, nice copper color with little to no head, as expected from a cask. The smell is floral, slightly sweet hints of caramel. Nice maltiness with slight hop bitterness. It finishes dry with a bitter bite.

The cask serving balances the flavors and makes it very, very drinkable. I could session this one for awhile.

The previous times I had this from cask was in Oxford and the taste certainly reminded me of then. A wonderful beer.

01-18-2006 01:12:44 | More by sloejams
Gogol

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

(0001) Reviewed: 1/11/06.
On tap at the Horseshoe Pub, Hudson, MA. Temperature appropriate for a kegged beer.

Appearance: Color brown, with orange tint. The little head in evidence upon receipt of glass dissipated, but later could be made to reappear with agitation. Lace clung to glass at first, but eventually dissipated.

Smell: Balanced, caramel malt and hops. My emotive impression is “comfortable.”

Taste: Smooth, roasted malt at start, hop bitterness at finish. A very smooth transition.

Mouthfeel: Full, slightly to moderately “chewy.” “Warming.”

Drinkability: Excellent! If only I had more time, and more of this classic beer!

It is clearly evident why this is the yardstick against which other ESBs are gauged.

01-15-2006 03:38:10 | More by Gogol
skizziks

Kentucky

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. Inch and a half light tan head with a little yellow-orange in it. Fluffy and meringue-like. Takes a minute to relax into a 1/4inch ring. Lacing slides thick on the sides but doesn't stick. Color is a red amber.

Aroma is caramel, malt, and a little orange without the citric acidity. Hops float in the background.

Flavor is a seamless continuation of the aroma. Malt-balanced, with just enough bitterness to keep it from turning to syrup. medium-full body sticks to the tongue letting sweet malt and a little bit of bitter hop linger for a long time. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth, but sticky enough to keep this from being a real quaffer of a beer. That's ok, with this much flavor it's better to have to stop and pay attention for a while anyway. Good stuff.

01-09-2006 03:41:08 | More by skizziks
Mebuzzard

Colorado

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured into glass.

Light brown, tint of orange maybe yellow. Nice white medium body head.

Smells caramel, roasted malt, hops and more hops.

Darn good taste. Not sure if ESB is right title. Perhaps SB and full flavor. Good balance of hops and malt with fruit and caramel. Feels fantastic, just enough bite to wake you up, but stops short of making a face.

One of the better ESBs I've had

01-06-2006 01:02:57 | More by Mebuzzard
Tupperwolf

Washington

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a crystal clear dark reddish amber with a thin, good-bodied eggshell head that fizzes away after a time and leaves tiny lacing and an incomplete covering.

Kind of funny - while opening the bottle at near arm's length, I was surprised to catch a sudden intense whiff of beer that could only have come from the first release of the cap. I was expecting a very pungent ale, but have discovered that it's quite the opposite. I have a hard time rating the smell because there's just so little of it. What I am lucky enough to catch after a good minute or two of letting my scent receptors relax is a few quick whiffs of carmally malts, then nothing at all. What I catch of the smell is good, it's just almost nonexistant.

I have really been looking forward to trying out this ESB because it's the first beer of the style I've tried and I figured I couldn't go wrong with the "yardstick", as Fuller's seems to be regarded. I like it! That quick whiff of caramel leads to a grainy, malty beginning with a delicately bitter finish that's decently balanced.

Light carbonation; A mildly chewy feel for an ale, with a buttery finish. It's so very very clear in the glass, but not light in body.

All of this leads to the final point - very drinkable. Good body, easy to drink, the tastes and scents don't beat you up; A tasty beer to follow up with a couple more.

01-04-2006 10:57:42 | More by Tupperwolf
DarkerTheBetter

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a slightly amber honey brown with a fluffy dirty looking head that left spotty lacing. Smells of raisins, sour grapes and a bubblegum malt. Tastes of an almost liquorish-like woody candy and coffee malts with a sweet nip of dry on the edges of my tongue. Very smooth and tangy. Mouth feel is medium, but the carbonation is very light and smooth.

12-16-2005 21:27:05 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Finite

Australia

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: Red amber with a perfect thick head which doesn’t go anywhere.

Smell: Sweet, dark fruits smooth malts. A very pleasant caramel / vanilla smell.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: Dark fruits with sop bitter hops and smooth sweet malts resembling brown sugar. Very buttery, oily and nutty.

Drinkability/Overall: Easy to drink but with firm fruity characteristics. A great brew to have after a big meal when relaxing.

12-16-2005 09:59:20 | More by Finite