Fuller's London Porter - Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Fuller's London Porter is an award-winning example of this historic English style; smooth and creamy with delicious chocolate and coffee flavors derived from the roasted malt.

The griffin Brewery is Chiswick, London, has brewing fine ales since 1654.

The Fuller, Smith & Turner partnership dating back to 1845, brews an excellent range of award-winning beers, many of which are available in the U.S. including London Pride pale ale and the Old's original ESB.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fuller's London Porter Alström Bros

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Pour: Great head, looks dark and delicious
Smell: Smells caramel-like, with a hint of nuts
Taste: Very good deep flavor of nuts, caramel and a slight deep, smoky flavor.

Overall: A great porter for fans of such. The smoke taste becomes more prominent after a few. A great beer to grab at a bar, but hard to sit down to a six pack.

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours black n tan - one finger head. Fades quickly.

Complex aromas - roast malts, cigar box, coffee, chocolate, smoke.

Taste is medium bodied, smooth, with more chocolate, coffee. Moderate bitterness. A little watery, but.... it's a 5%-ish.... not bigger.

Carbonation low. Mouthfeel smooth

Good solid porter. Not convinced it's a good as the sky-high BA rating tho. However, due to it not having massive flavours, I suspect I could drink all night.

4.39/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Dark brown, good head.

Smell: Rich, roasted flavors.

Taste: Roasted malt, mild sweetness, hint of coffee, finishes dry. Lots of flavor for a beer under 6%.

Mouthfeel: Light feel, seems like it could be a session beer.

I loved this beer 7-8 years ago, but then it seemed to disappear from Minnesota. I finally saw it again so picked up a single to review. Luckily I still like it. Unluckily, I managed to spill about half the beer in a kitchen mishap. Very nice balanced beer that you can have a few of and not get sloppy. Very good beer!

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz poured into a SA perfect pint glass.

A - Pours a dark chestnut brown with a fluffy tan head that provided very balanced lacing patterns.

S - Molasses, toasted caramel and chocolate malt, sticky dates, smokey overtones,

T - Creamy caramel, roasted malts, light smoke, hints of sour licorice, tangy yeast, cocoa, roasted nuts, raisins, has a roasted bitter finish.

M - Full body, soft carbonation, extremely creamy and velvety feel.

Superb! One of, if not the best porters I've ever had.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

The beer is said to be “dark as midnight”… and I like that. When I am going to drink a dark beer, I want to drink a DARK beer. I found a bunch of Fuller’s at Jungle Jim’s a few weeks ago, and they were cheap. So I grabbed all I could. This one is in the fridge, it’s cold, and I am thirsty. So tonight we are drinking one of these!

Oh, and I will tell you I grabbed a can of CHAKA from Sun King. The beer is $18 for 4 cans… but my good buddy John hooked me up. Anyway, let’s dig into this porter.

In the Glass: The beer does pour black as midnight. There is a nice frothy head that makes way for a thick and polished looking lace. This beer is promising to be good. Friend and fellow beer drinker Scott Shrewsberry said, “One of the better porters out there regardless of being one of the most popular.” I hope he’s right!

Nose: I could smell this before it was even in the glass. I was punched in the face with notes of caramel and chocolate. When I stick my nose in the glass, I am reminded of those caramel notes I experienced while pouring and some dark burnt chocolate that is coming through. This beer also smells sweet, but dry.

Flavor: The flavor starts before I can even finish the first swallow. The typical porter flavors circle the tongue, and then you are hit with the sweetness that I could smell all along the way. Then it gets sour. Not sure where the sour is coming from, but I like it. It then quickly settles into that dark dryness that you expect out of a good English style porter. I can see myself sitting alone in a pub drinking these as I clock watch until the sun comes up.

Mouthfeel: There isn’t much going on… well, besides flavor. There is little carbonation, and the drink is smooth and to the point. The beer would be easy to chug, especially on draft. I wonder if you can get this on cask anywhere. I am sure if you could, the nose would be much more intense.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is what I wish more porters tasted like. It is sweet, dark, and dry. It’s like drinking a really good gin. You want… you demand that dry finish. The aftertaste sticks around for a little bit too, and leaves you with some notes of chocolate.

This is a GOOD beer. Scott was right, I can see why this beer would be so popular. I am not sure why they serve it in a 11.2 ounce bottle… but I am sure that has something to do with the way they measure beer across the pond. If you can get your hands on this, do. Bottoms up, people!

Fuller’s London Porter - The bottle says: “Fuller’s London Porter is an award-winning example of this historic English style, smooth and creamy with delicious chocolate and coffee flavors derived from the roasted malts.

“The Griffin Brewery in Chiswick, London, has been brewing fine ales since 1654.

“The Fuller, Smith and Turner partnership, dating back to 1845, brews an excellent range of award-winning ales, many of which are available in the YSA, including London Pride pale ale and the world’s original ESB. I hope you will enjoy trying all our fine ales.”

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

FLP is a surprisingly good beer. I didn't expect to get such a treat when I bought this one. It pours a near-opaque dark brown with a light brown head that disappears rather quickly but leaves nice lacing. The smell is overloaded with malts but very good, with just a touch of coffee. More of the same in the taste and very well-balanced. Very dry finish. I'll be buying this again for sure.

Fuller's London Porter from Fuller Smith & Turner PLC