1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fuller's London Porter - Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller's London PorterFuller's London Porter

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.40% ABV

Fuller's London Porter is an award-winning example of this historic English style; smooth and creamy with delicious chocolate and coffee flavors derived from the roasted malt.

The griffin Brewery is Chiswick, London, has brewing fine ales since 1654.

The Fuller, Smith & Turner partnership dating back to 1845, brews an excellent range of award-winning beers, many of which are available in the U.S. including London Pride pale ale and the Old's original ESB.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fuller's London Porter Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Dark brown, good head.

Smell: Rich, roasted flavors.

Taste: Roasted malt, mild sweetness, hint of coffee, finishes dry. Lots of flavor for a beer under 6%.

Mouthfeel: Light feel, seems like it could be a session beer.

I loved this beer 7-8 years ago, but then it seemed to disappear from Minnesota. I finally saw it again so picked up a single to review. Luckily I still like it. Unluckily, I managed to spill about half the beer in a kitchen mishap. Very nice balanced beer that you can have a few of and not get sloppy. Very good beer!

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz poured into a SA perfect pint glass.

A - Pours a dark chestnut brown with a fluffy tan head that provided very balanced lacing patterns.

S - Molasses, toasted caramel and chocolate malt, sticky dates, smokey overtones,

T - Creamy caramel, roasted malts, light smoke, hints of sour licorice, tangy yeast, cocoa, roasted nuts, raisins, has a roasted bitter finish.

M - Full body, soft carbonation, extremely creamy and velvety feel.

Superb! One of, if not the best porters I've ever had.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

The beer is said to be “dark as midnight”… and I like that. When I am going to drink a dark beer, I want to drink a DARK beer. I found a bunch of Fuller’s at Jungle Jim’s a few weeks ago, and they were cheap. So I grabbed all I could. This one is in the fridge, it’s cold, and I am thirsty. So tonight we are drinking one of these!

Oh, and I will tell you I grabbed a can of CHAKA from Sun King. The beer is $18 for 4 cans… but my good buddy John hooked me up. Anyway, let’s dig into this porter.

In the Glass: The beer does pour black as midnight. There is a nice frothy head that makes way for a thick and polished looking lace. This beer is promising to be good. Friend and fellow beer drinker Scott Shrewsberry said, “One of the better porters out there regardless of being one of the most popular.” I hope he’s right!

Nose: I could smell this before it was even in the glass. I was punched in the face with notes of caramel and chocolate. When I stick my nose in the glass, I am reminded of those caramel notes I experienced while pouring and some dark burnt chocolate that is coming through. This beer also smells sweet, but dry.

Flavor: The flavor starts before I can even finish the first swallow. The typical porter flavors circle the tongue, and then you are hit with the sweetness that I could smell all along the way. Then it gets sour. Not sure where the sour is coming from, but I like it. It then quickly settles into that dark dryness that you expect out of a good English style porter. I can see myself sitting alone in a pub drinking these as I clock watch until the sun comes up.

Mouthfeel: There isn’t much going on… well, besides flavor. There is little carbonation, and the drink is smooth and to the point. The beer would be easy to chug, especially on draft. I wonder if you can get this on cask anywhere. I am sure if you could, the nose would be much more intense.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is what I wish more porters tasted like. It is sweet, dark, and dry. It’s like drinking a really good gin. You want… you demand that dry finish. The aftertaste sticks around for a little bit too, and leaves you with some notes of chocolate.

This is a GOOD beer. Scott was right, I can see why this beer would be so popular. I am not sure why they serve it in a 11.2 ounce bottle… but I am sure that has something to do with the way they measure beer across the pond. If you can get your hands on this, do. Bottoms up, people!

Fuller’s London Porter - The bottle says: “Fuller’s London Porter is an award-winning example of this historic English style, smooth and creamy with delicious chocolate and coffee flavors derived from the roasted malts.

“The Griffin Brewery in Chiswick, London, has been brewing fine ales since 1654.

“The Fuller, Smith and Turner partnership, dating back to 1845, brews an excellent range of award-winning ales, many of which are available in the YSA, including London Pride pale ale and the world’s original ESB. I hope you will enjoy trying all our fine ales.”

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

FLP is a surprisingly good beer. I didn't expect to get such a treat when I bought this one. It pours a near-opaque dark brown with a light brown head that disappears rather quickly but leaves nice lacing. The smell is overloaded with malts but very good, with just a touch of coffee. More of the same in the taste and very well-balanced. Very dry finish. I'll be buying this again for sure.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Look: Poured into a Guinness pint glass. Black with a small brown head with some fairly large bubbles.
Smell: Roasted malts, raisins, plums, brown sugar and some smokiness fill the nose. Very rich and wonderfully complex.
Taste&Mouthfeel: A smooth, full bodied and creamy mouthfeel with fairly high carbonation accompanies the dark coffee, cocoa and charcoal flavours. Some dark fruits mingle in in the middle and the brew leaves a nice, smokey aftertaste.

Overall: This is a smooth and warming brew that is almost a meal on it's own.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

what can i say about this beer , i didnt like it at the the frist mouthfull for me it better in the middle and the end great last taste, nice bottle i think i will try the english porters again really this is the only english porter around here they had many new beers at wegmans today , a great taste great color great pour in the glass

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Nice dark brown, cola colour. Off white head. Looks well carbonated.

Smells of chocolate, coffee, British hops and a tad of smoke.
Smells as if it is quite sweet. Smells good, it reminds me a bit of Mikkeller BGB.

A sweet malty beer, some coffee/milk chocolate in here, slight roast and the hops are definitley there even though it does not have an overly bitter finish.

Medium body with good carbonation.

Overal a pleaseant session beer. Drinkable and balanced.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

11.2oz bottle into wine glass.

Pours a dark brown with a small brown head, almost opaque. Loses points for tiny head. SMell is a lightly roasted malt with light coffee notes. Taste is smooth with a pleasant chocolatey malt with light smoky notes, maybe some vanilla as well. Finishes with light spicy hops. Body is medium weight and medium carb, just a hint of dryness.

An excellent porter with awesome chocolate notes that aren't in your face. Very well balanced with a decent amount of hops and an interesting faint dryness. One of the best porters I've had. Not much going on in the coffee department.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep brown almost black color with some faint highlights. Has a creamy light brown head with good retention and sticky lacing around the glass.

The flavor is dominated with bitter chocolate and coffee hints. Some fruity esters from the hops pull through, as well has the crisp taste of the mineral water used to brew this porter. A bit of smokiness and buttery diacetyl can be tasted as well.

Has a medium body and with a bitter smokey finish.

A very tasty English porter. Some of the best money can buy!

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Pours an opaque dark brown to just shy of black in color with some dark red highlights when held up to the light. The beer has a finger tall beige head that reduces to a thin film covering most of the surface of the beer with a single thicker patch and a thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate lacing is observed.

S: There are strong aromas of coffee and dark roasted malts. Quite pleasant with a nice amount of complexity.

T: The taste is even more complex than the aroma and is very delicious. There are elements of coffee, dark roasted malts, and bittersweet chocolate. There is a light lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Smooth and creamy with light dryness in the finish.

O: This beer is very tasty with excellent complexity in the smell and taste. I really enjoyed this beer and would like to have it again. The beer is very easy to drink and could be sessionable.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%