Fuller's London Porter - Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Fuller's London Porter is an award-winning example of this historic English style; smooth and creamy with delicious chocolate and coffee flavors derived from the roasted malt.

The griffin Brewery is Chiswick, London, has brewing fine ales since 1654.

The Fuller, Smith & Turner partnership dating back to 1845, brews an excellent range of award-winning beers, many of which are available in the U.S. including London Pride pale ale and the Old's original ESB.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fuller's London Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,358 | Reviews: 1,177
3.56/5  rDev -15%

A: Black liquid, gorgeous large creamy light brown head which.

S: Black malt, roasted, coffee, little spiciness. Some "deep" ( mixed with the roasted tones) dried fruits.

T&M: Coffee, roasted. Some peppery notes for the aftertaste. Quite watery as the most English Porters. Carbonation is between light and medium.

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

Served to me at Llewellyns in Webster, MO

Smell is sweet chocolate and toffee.

Black. Tan head, Creamy as if nitro tap (although it wasnt)

Taste, chocolate, toffee, coffee.

Had this both on tap and by the bottle. Taste are identical. Very good beer. Definitely makes my rotation.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Very, very dark. Almost completely blacl. Nice beige head that disappears quick.

Smell: burned sugar, hops, grass, coffeebeans, liquorice, christmas cake.

Taste: Roasted malts at first. Then a big hit of liquorice, which fades into a nice espresso bitterness. Later more fruits, over-ripe cherry, and blackcurrant. Aftertaste has tobacco, burned sugar, and a touch of sweetness.

Mouth: medium, but quite full for the ABV. Creamy. Not much carbonation which makes it slightly flat after a while. Slightly syruppy on the lips too.

Overall: very complex beer. It's not my favority profile, but really interesting and well made. But love the complexity and balance, will definately drink this again.

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

appearance - comes in a very nice 500ml bottle. almost zero foam upon pouring, this is good. deep red in color, very dark.

taste - wow very good! extremely coffee-like taste. a nice dry flavor... theres enough here to hold your interest for a while. one of the better beers ive tried, no hops at all, like i said its almost like an alcoholic coffee drink. easily the best britain/ireland beer ive had.

drinkbility - the best! its complex enough to drink tons of while staying interesting and good yet a low enough abv to drink alot of without getting trashed. very good beer, i like it.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

This a fine English porter it is full of chocolate,syrup and coffee flavor. Its dark brown.Low carbonation and has a disappearing head. Very easy to drink.I like the design of the bottle. Reminds me another english beer(Old Nick). Yes I'd definitely buy more. Happy Drinking Thanks

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap and Barleyhoppers in Riverview. This is a blackish dark brown color that is easy to get lost in. Pours a nice tan head on top that hung around to the bottom leaving a cocoa colored lacing. Nice. This is a sweet malty smelling brew that sets my mouth watering. This had a nice roasty coffee flavor. It made me regret not drinking more porters as I often bypass them as being rather heavy. This was not. It had a nice mouthfeel and was very drinkable.

3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

Dark and opaque. Aromas of charcoal smoke and black olives. Taste is initially of chocolate, followed by coffee and finishes with a lingering bitter and smoky aftertaste. There's a metallic aftertaste that goes away after a couple of sips. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Good drinkability although I have had better porters.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

I was quite pleased to find this stuff in (non-nitro) 16.9 oz cans. This is why I bought that Guinness pint glass!

Appearance was good, typical of a porter - dark but not opaque, I could see some light through the red-brown body. Nice tight 3/4" head, it looked almost like a nitro pour. Smell was roasty, bordering on stout.

What struck me about the taste is how much this reminded me of the Irish stouts. I gather that way way back when, Guinness draught was their version of porter, so that makes sense. Both brews have that astringent roasty flavor, but where Guinness tends toward a sour finish, Fuller's goes to astringent bitterness, something I associate with black malt. All in all a decent brew, but not as rich or sweet as I would like.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

The appearance deep, dark, opaque black with dense chocolate milk colored head that doesn't go away. There lots of nicely spaced out patches of lace that are tan in color.
The aroma is a deep dark roasted espresso bean that is nearly burnt, awesome. There are also faint malt and caramel whiffs here. When I drank this, there was again espresso, but with chocolate and hints of malt. Nice slight bitterness in the finish that was perfect with a great crisp after taste. Nice thick mouthfeel that's chewy and refreshing. A great example of a great porter.... yummy!

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep brown/black color. Completely opaque. Tons of burnt coffee aroma eminating from the glass. Little to no head, no lacing present. Very little carbonation to speak of but I suppose thats to style. This beer as a pretty decent body and goes down smooth. Of all the porters I've tried, this is about middle ground. Very drinkable due to low ABV and I could probably drink a few of these happily.

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

appearance:
pours smooth and dark, smooth head, amazing darkness, without visible gravity,
sandy colored silky foam, deep black with great lacing,

smell:
complex, deep, sweet almost nutty chocolate scent, with hints of malt,
reminds me of a warm plate of cake, and a creamy black espresso

taste:
once again complex, easy drinking, with a slight bitterness about halfway thru its range,takes a few seconds to level out, to a sweet flat end, the taste was initally alot sweeter, and as the pint sunk in it got more bitter and refined with the malts,
leaves a bitter aftertaste similar to strong coffee, not in a bad way tho.

mouthfeel:
starts sharp, once past the lips it gets levelled out and the taste kicks in,
goes almost flat before swallow which i one thing i love about fullers
makes it such an enjoyable drink as the amount of carb is perfect for the style.

overall:
so much I could say about this, fuller's has impressed me with all the offerings I've tried, seems most of the beer they make is very drinkable yet flavourful and not overstated, a porter like this, is perfect for an after dinner, and best enjoyed slowly,
although it is impressive, It isnt something I would drink regularly as the style is a bit heavy for my usual, but in the future I am sure I will buy this again , and if porters are your thing, you probably already know, this is a great one.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

The beer is a deep brownish black color. It initially formed a smallish khaki head that has died away to a bubbly film. Fine webs of lace are forming on the glass as I drink.

The beer smells delicious—lots of dark chocolate.

The taste of this beer is a rich mixture of bittersweet dark chocolate and black coffee. Very nice.

The beer has a medium body with relatively low level of carbonation. As expected for the style.

This beer is very drinkable—so tasty, and light enough in body to make it a sheer pleasure to quaff.

4.36/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Soda-black body with beautiful mahogany highlights when held up to light. Only a 1-finger thick tan head after a very vigorous pour, the head dissolved almost immediately.

S - Delicious! Milk chocolate/cappuccino smells. Really inviting, the aroma does its job making you crave that first sip.

T - Wow. That's pretty incredible. I have to say, I was a little biased going into this, being unimpressed with every Fullers offering I've tried. Regardless, I'm enjoying this thoroughly. More coffee flavor than in the nose. The sweet chocolate is still very much present, more dark chocolate than milk chocolate in the taste vs. the nose. If you ask me, this makes a great dessert beer. There is, however, a small weird seltzer-y aftertaste that I get from a lot of English beers (maybe it's the water over there?). Still, outstanding. A very good representation of a non-extreme porter.

M - Unremarkable really. A little thin, I guess?

D - Good, but I feel like the drinkability could be improved by a little more hoppiness to eliminate that weird aftertaste.

4.4/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 500 mL can into a conical pint glass.

Extremely dark. One-finger head that settles in about a minute and a half.

Smells great. Nose is sweet, chocolately, with notes of dark berries. Very inviting.

Taste is like dark chocolate with coffee flavours. Fantastic. First few sips gave a metallic / iron aftertaste, but that soon disappeared as I continued to enjoy the beer.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thicker side. Little carbonation (which is fine).

This is just an awesome beer all around. Definitely a buy-again.

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

Did not like at all. Just not my taste

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark ruby red. Not much head to speak of. Smell was very minimal though there was a faint roastiness and cocoa aroma that came through.

Tastes of molasses and coffee. A creamy beer, yet seemed somewhat rough around the edges for me.

A really good porter, though I am not sure I will visit this one again in the near future.

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Little to no head, dark brown, just shy of a stout

Sweet dark roasted smell, coco, coffee. Hint of hops, floral.

Nice bitter combo from the roast and the hops. Moka taste - same as smell. Fruity flavor emerges that I didn't get in the nose.

Medium body, surprisingly light,
Incredibly drinkable. Great porter, I always enjoy fuller products.

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

I love the Fuller's bottle - so robust looking, so elegant, and so inviting.

Unfortunately, this particular bottle is a month past its best before date, so I will re-review when I get another sample.

Impressive pour, just what I expected - deep, opaque brown with a light tan head that left good lacing.

Smell has hints of caramel, coffee, but not as much chocolate as I expected.

This is a fine tasting porter, a real classic, but in my opinion it just doesn't hold a candle to Sam Smith's Taddy Porter. The biggest difference was the presence of some slightly "off" flavors late in the sip in the Fullers. Very nice beer for cold winter nights - warming and delicious. Definitely worth a try, recommended, but I do think there are better English porters out there.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Mmmm, I love a good porter and this is one of them. Smooth is the word - malt, coffee and chocolate to die for. Yet there was my favorite taste in there to - some hops to keep me happy. Another brew that kept giving different flavor bursts from start to finish.

4.44/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 1 pint, 0.9 oz. bottle into a Redhook porter glass.

Appearance: Dark, dark, dark. Only holding it up to the light can you see the dark reddish-brown color. The head dissipated rather quickly, but the lacing held up about halfway down the glass.

Smell: Outstanding. Like roast coffee and dark chocolate.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Bitterness hits right away but goes away quickly, followed by a pleasing mix of roast coffee and dark chocolate flavors, with nutty overtones. Finishes surprisingly smooth, especially if you let it warm up a bit.

Drinkability: Don't think I could make a night out of drinking these, but could definitely put down more than one in a sitting.

Notes: I love dark, malty beers, and this is one of the best I've had. A real full-flavored porter.

4.73/5  rDev +12.9%

Best porter I've ever had. As someone who often prefers the American versions of European classics, I must give highest praises for this beauty of a porter. Purchased by chance because I haven't had an English porter recently. So I figured I owed it to my good friends across the pond to give one a try. Color, head, aroma - that doesn't matter. Those are all good. But the overwhelming strength of this beer is in the luscious flavor. Rich, toasty, caramelized malted barley deliciousness! In one of my first few sips I swear the flavor changed dramatically as it washed over my tongue. It progressed through waves of creamy, chocolatey, toasty, and bitter flavors. Quite the complex malt character this porter has!

If you ever find it, try it.

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark brown thick viscous liquid with a brown head. Aroma is coffee, malt and dark fruit. Taste is rich, with chocolate and malt with a full finish and a dry mouthfeel. Quite the porter, I really enjoyed this. Although Fuller's rarely does anything wrong!

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

The first every porter I tried and still my favorite English style porter. Pours your standard dark brown color with tan head. I absolutely love the nose on this beer. It smells like brewing dark beers with that huge roast and chocolate maltiness. There are just enough bittering hops to prevent it from being too sweet. They start on the front of the tongue and fade to the huge roasty, chocolate malt flavors. Just a fantastic lingering finish to it.

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

This is a great porter. Pretty much what you would expect. My only concern is that this is a little thin, especially in comparison to the Kernel and a number of other exceptional porters I've had lately. That said, I would certainly have this again, and could even see myself having a session of it if it were on tap.

Overall, certainly worth a go, but not in the same league as the Kernel.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

Black color in the class the is actually a deep, very dark red when held to the light. The initial head was excellent but disappeared quickly leaving lots of spiderwebs on the side of the glass.

The smell is full and makes you believe the beer will be quite hoppy but the taste is quite smooth and sweet. I think I get chocolate off the taste but it is difficult to describe.

The mouthfeel is smooth initially but has a but of a bite right after you swallow. Overall an easy drinking beer with a lot of taste.

Fuller's London Porter from Fuller Smith & Turner PLC