Fuller's London Porter - Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Fuller's London Porter is an award-winning example of this historic English style; smooth and creamy with delicious chocolate and coffee flavors derived from the roasted malt.

The griffin Brewery is Chiswick, London, has brewing fine ales since 1654.

The Fuller, Smith & Turner partnership dating back to 1845, brews an excellent range of award-winning beers, many of which are available in the U.S. including London Pride pale ale and the Old's original ESB.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fuller's London Porter Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

From the toffee-like aroma to the charcoal finish. Fat, sticky head that tops a walnut edged pitch liquid wonderment. Roast and toast and hop and malt and balance, balance, balance. A superb Porter that compels you to drink it down. Simple and elegant.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Pours exactly as a porter should. Deep brown with a thick tan head that settles very slowly. Heavy caramel/molasses aroma with a hint of bittering hops in the front. The taste is very well balanced. Thick and creamy with dark roasted malts, molasses, nutty chocolate, and mildly bitter ending. Not too strong (alcohol-wise) keeping the taste mild for such a heavy beer. One of the most drinkable porters I've ever had simply because of the mouthfeel and rich character. Very close in competition with Sam Smith.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Its appearance is black with a large tan head that laces good.

Aroma is of chocolate and malty goodness.

The flavor is roasty, with huge accents of coffee and chocolate. The hops make a slight appearance in the end.

The mouth feel is a bit light for such a porter. Although it is incredibly smooth and leaves a small film over the tongue. I will definitely have another some time.

Worth trying.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

A- Dark ruby hue, one finger frothy head.

S- Chocolate and coffee dominate with hints of cream.

T- Chocolatly malts with a hint of roasted bitterness. Minimally hoppy finish.

M- Nice medium body, decent carbonation.

D- I wouldn't session it, but there's enough going on to keep me coming back.

Altough I'm not a huge porter fan, I'd call this a classic.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a snifter. Best by date months away and clearly marked on label, I love how Fuller's puts quality first by displaying this so clearly.

Pour appears black in low light but shows a deep smoked scarlet crystal clear body when held up to light. Pours with 1 finger of light tan head. Looks creamy.

The nose is a nearly perfect balancing act of smokiness, English hops, and roasted malt. This smells like an English porter should smell I think. A little swirl brings up more of the same with the addition of chocolate notes.

A very tasty flavor of roasted malt pervades the taste of this beer, and it is high quality in that the acrid bitterness that is often associated is totally absent. Instead the bitterness comes from subtle hops that bolster the malts with poise. Other flavors present and appreciated are subtle vanilla, milk chocolate, a touch of cream and finally peaty smokiness. This beer isn't sweet but isn't very bitter, and instead presents an almost dry flavor, which I think holds to the original style well.

The mouthfeel is the only aspect of this beer that I feel could be better. If somehow it was creamier and fuller I think that this beer would benefit, but then again were the original porters even supposed to be creamy? Either way I am drinking it poured from a bottle, so how can I complain about creaminess when I know this beer is creamier on tap.

Conclusion: Another outstanding beer from Fuller's. I have yet to taste anything from this excellent brewery that isn't outstanding.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

A- Extremely dark brown. One shade darker, and I may have said it was black. Pretty decent head, and the carbonation you hope to see in beers.

S- Very much a dark malt aroma. Drops some slight hints of cocoa, and coffee.

T- Quite impressive. Gives you an excellent mix of cocoa and coffee flavor, while accenting it with roasted malt. When reviewing this beer the Appearance and Smell were hard to judge, as I kept wanting to sip it while rating them.

This beer is extremely balanced, and incredibly smooth. It has a very rich cocoa flavor that stacks up as you drink it. I could only imagine how it would get if I had a couple. The aftertaste is heavenly too. I would love to try a version of this with that extra bit of punch though. It seemed a little soft for me.

M- Very creamy and easy on your mouth. Was too thin, but that's not such a bad price to pay.

D- Extremely drinkable. Tastes like a dessert drink, but for the price of it, and the availability, I'd love to have a few, rather than summon the willpower to make one last. It's hard to have this beside you and not drink it fast.

I love everything about this beer, except that I wish it was thicker.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a deep brown almost black color with some faint highlights. Has a creamy light brown head with good retention and sticky lacing around the glass.

The flavor is dominated with bitter chocolate and coffee hints. Some fruity esters from the hops pull through, as well has the crisp taste of the mineral water used to brew this porter. A bit of smokiness and buttery diacetyl can be tasted as well.

Has a medium body and with a bitter smokey finish.

A very tasty English porter. Some of the best money can buy!

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A:
Pours a clearish, cola black with a half-inch tan head that quickly settles to a film. Okay retention; good, stringy lacing.

S:
Rich and earthy. Nuts, malt, licorice, coffee.

T:
Tastes rich and slightly creamy. Nutty and almost burnt with some dirty notes and rich, mouth-coating roasted malt flavors. Really nice!

M:
Medium body. Good crisp carbonation. Incredibly drinkable. Nice.

O:
A damn fine porter! It seems very "Porter-esque" to me. That is, it has all that I like in porters and nothing of what I don't. Rich and hearty. Warming and dank.
Would have again.
Worth trying.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Perhaps the beer that turned me onto porters in the first place. Ironic it was an English one when now I buy pretty much all American porters. That wasn't going to stop me from grabbing a six pack of the original.

APPEARANCE: Pours into my new Sam Adams glass a deep brown that is only the slightest bit translucent when held to light. With illumination, ruddy red highlights are apparent. The head is small and lowers to just a small bubbly patch - no doubt aided by the etchings at the bottom of the glass. As I drink further, no sign of a head can be seen.

SMELL: Roasty, ROASTY! Big and heavy on coffee aromas. Bitter black malts come through as does a soft chocolatiness. And if you try real hard, the faintest bit of diacetyl comes through.

TASTE: Starts just a tad empty but the roasty flavors kick in fast. It's a bit bitter as it crosses the palate, and the finish is where most of the flavor lies. Just a bit buttery with another huge kick of roasted and black grains. Not too complex but incredibly executed.

MOUTHFEEL: Now this is what I'm talking about! A medium full body with just the faintest hint of chewiness. Carbonation level is medium and perfect for accentuating the flavors.

DRINKABILITY: An amazing drinker that is sessionable to boot. Give me more!

This is the beer that makes me reconsider my preference for the more hoppy American style porters. I love them both, but Fuller's is downright near perfect.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

500ml can
5.4% ABV

I tried this beer on October 7, 2007 after purchasing from my local LCBO outlet. The beer poured into the glass a beautiful, dark, murky brown colour with a large tan coloured head. The aroma was a combination of malt and yeast with some sweet hints. The mouthfeel was thick and full with some mild carbonation, almost creamy. The taste was malty with some hints of caramel (the possible sweetness in the aroma). This was a very good beer.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

Great beer.

Poured a chocolate brown color with a small creamy tan head.

The smell was very enticing, coffee grounds and chocolate. My mouth was watering in anticipation.

My mouth was not disappointed. The chocolate and coffee blended beautifully on my tongue. Holy crap, it's like my tongue just had an orgasm.

It had a nice full mouth feel, as I'd expect from a porter, but the carbonation level seemed a bit high to me - jabbing at my tongue with sharp little bubbles.

Great beer. Wait, did I say that already? Well it's true. Definately something I'll be drinking again and again.

3.86/5  rDev -7.9%

Over all a very nice beer. Almost no carbonation in the bottle I pored. Very little head. It was ver dark in color to the point of being unable to see through it. It goes down very smoothly with little afterbite. The taste lingers for a while then fades. And the GF gave it a so-so rating over all. Hmm and I thought I was beginning to teach her something.

Im Himmel gibt es kein bier darum truinken vir es heir!
In Heaven there is no beer that is why we drink it here!

4.59/5  rDev +9.5%

Glass - Pint

A - Dark brown with plenty of ruby red tinge when held to light. It produced a 1-2 finger head but dissipated to a ring rather fast. The creamy looking ring stuck around for the consumption of the beer but didn't leave any lacing.

S - Very dry with robust smokey malts, dark chocolate that's mild to moderately sweet smelling. I get a bit of licorice as well, coffee, intense toffee aroma. It's got a bit of everything really. Very nice aroma.

T - Smoky & charcoal notes flood the palate upfront, licorice follows with some dark bakers chocolate towards the finish. Mildly sweet with coffee in there somewhere as well, it finishes with roasted & charcoal notes with lingering bitterness. Chocolate covered charcoal bomb!

M - A bit slick and chewy, not oily though. Soft Co2 bite, would of liked just a bit more. Lite-medium bodied.

D - Wow! This has gotta be one of my favorite Porters, I absolutely love the intense smokey flavor & aroma, it's what Ive been seeking for a long time. This beer is so damn good! I could easily drink 4 pints of this fantastic brew, I highly recommend this one and can't wait to have it again. Cheers!

Fuller's London Porter from Fuller Smith & Turner PLC