Fuller's London Porter - Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Fuller's London Porter is an award-winning example of this historic English style; smooth and creamy with delicious chocolate and coffee flavors derived from the roasted malt.

The griffin Brewery is Chiswick, London, has brewing fine ales since 1654.

The Fuller, Smith & Turner partnership dating back to 1845, brews an excellent range of award-winning beers, many of which are available in the U.S. including London Pride pale ale and the Old's original ESB.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fuller's London Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,161 | Hads: 2,374
4.22/5  rDev 0%

A: Thin layer of white foam which quickly dissolved. Very dark black with a shade of amber coloring.

S: Coffee, sweat cream and chocolate seem to dominate the smell. I like the sweet ale smell and can't wait to taste.

T: Immediately tart but quickly transitions into delicous sweetness on the tongue. Still dominated by mostly porter tastes such as the aforementioned chocolate, and coffee. Really tastes delicious compared to other beers of the same style that I've had.

M: Feels great on the palate, as it is not too thick nor thin. Lightly carbonated so that it continues to drink smooth without overdoing it.

D: I would drink this beer anytime it was offered. Simply tastes great and is surprisingly refreshing for a porter! (740 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%

This is a super nice porter - a really good example of the style.
First pour shows a beer that is the rich dark brown desirable of the type, but with a very very light head - sticky but almost non-existent. This is one of the only weaknesses of the beer. The other is the aroma. While it is nice (toasty caramel, espresso/chocolate and even some nice smoky malt) it is very very light.
Initial taste is crisp and yet smooth, with light carbonation and a nice medium body. Very balanced and complex flavours, mostly made up of bitter chocolate, coffee and even a very light butterscotch all built on a little tiny touch of esthers and alcohol. The hop flavour is slight, but adds the balance to the roasted malt needed to create the foundation for the complex flavours. There is almost no aftertaste, just a fading smoky taste and bitter coffee/chocolate.
A really drinkable beer - great for cold evenings. (909 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

The most remarkable thing about this beer to me is its finish. I taste a very clear -- and pleasant -- molasses finish. I find it a rather sweet beer, with low hoppiness. Small but persistent head; little lacing. Average mouthfeel, but very pleasant taste. A winner; I'd definitely drink it again. (297 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Creamy, espresso-brown head that stays a while. Pours dark reddish/brown with lots of small carbonation bubbles clinging to the side of the glass. Earthy smell with strong coffee notes and a kind of sour malt. The scent is not too strong, but pleasant. Big creamy beer that tastes like coffee with slight hoppy overtones. Finishes with more coffee bitterness and then slightly sweet malt. Well-balanced and smooth. This is a filling porter. (440 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured a deep, dark brown. Very little head, but that may have been because I poured the beer very slowly at an extreme angle.

I may be getting a cold, but I really can't smell it all that well. Once again, probably due to the way that I poured it. Very little head, so very little initial aroma. HOWEVER; what aroma existed was amazing. Hints of chocolate and malt.

The taste was extraordinarily smooth with a nice hop balance. Not too bitter, not too malty. Smooth as hell. A hint of a smoky and charcoal taste. Definitely black patent malt. Tastes like I've smokes a fine cigar.

Mouthfeel, once again, smooth. It swims around on the palate and invigorates the taste buds. Smooth as a cuba... errr... Nicaraguan Cigar...

Drinkability: Very drinkable and very tasty. If you've never had a porter, try this one. (832 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -16.8%

Found this at Horrock's Market in Lansing, MI. Being a huge fan of Fuller's London Pride, No reason not to give it a shot.

Appearance: Pours dark brown with a tan/beige medium to small head, that dissipates quickly, leaving a wisp around the glass.

Smell: strong, noticeable chocolate smell, with hints of nut. I found it to be a little overpowering, and definitely through my expectations for a loop. After smelling, I immediately thought of Sam Adam's Chocolate Bock(see my review).

Taste: Chocolate overtones, which I didn't love extremely. The English Bitter is definitely still there though, which I was pleased with. No strong after taste like you would expect in an IPA.

Mouthfeel: though dark, the beer wasn't thick and went down smooth.

Drinkability: The first beer was somewhat rough, as I'm not a huge fan of the chocolate, but the beer definitely improved as I worked on the 2nd and 3rd. A good 6-pack beer for the night if your looking for something with a little more love put into it. (1,006 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +10.4%

"Best before 16/Oct/03."

Came in an 18.8 oz. dark bottle; served in a pint glass.

Pours black with a thick, slow-dying, tannish three-finger head. Leaves rings of lace all the way from the top of the glass to the bottom. Smells and tastes heavily of roasted malts, and some chocolate, toffee, and raisins. Not much hops, medium carbonation. Medium-bodied and creamy mouthfeel, and is very drinkable.

An excellent porter all around. This is one of the more popular beers by Fuller's, and for a good reason: it's damn good. Can pair-up easily with anything meaty. And even though this particular bottle is over a year expired, it still tastes just as good as it always does. (676 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

The beer poured a very, very, dark ruby red that shows the red hues in the right light. A thick, dark, tan head formed that left behind nice lace work as it receded. It had a great smell of roasted, slightly burnt malts/grains, coffee, and chocolate. The taste was great. It was or roasted malts, coffee, and a hint of chocolate. It felt medium to full in the mouth and had a nice malty flavor and after taste. There was a very slight, and I say slight hint of hop spiciness.

This is a great porter that I will drink again and use to judge others by. (554 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Dark brown with ruby highlights, tan coloured head with little retention.

Smell: Chocolate, cigar smoke, roasted coffee, bready malts, leathery undertones.

Taste: Superb. Lots of chocolate notes, nice coffee bitterness, an earthy richness, and I love the cigar smoke finish. No off flavours as it warms up.

Mouthfeel: Middle of the road, not over or undercarbonated, leaves a decent coating on the tongue, perfect for the style.

Overall: An excellent porter, and my second favourite of all time, behind only Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald. (554 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours beautifully into a Fuller's pint glass. Creamy head with a light roasty malt and chocolately aroma. Flavor is similar. Nitro really helps get er done. Light chocolate notes, perhaps a touch of coffee, amazingly smooth and clean finish. One of my ultimate rainy day beers. (277 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

London Porter pours a rich, dark brown with a nice head that remains for a while before leaving a nice sticky lacing.

The aroma does not give away all that this beer has to offer in taste.

The big flavors from the roasted barley and bitter hops are apparent as soon as this touches your tongue. What I found was that this beer really doesn't open up until it comes close to room temperature.

Once warmed, the caramel and cocoa shine through as well as notes of spice and coffee that were hidden at lower temperatures.

This has a medium mouthfeel that gets thicker as the brew warms.

Overall, there is a reason this is a classic. It is not as adventurous as many new craft porters, but it is solid and there is a lot to appreciate. (736 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

A solid after dinner porter. Perhaps a little light for my liking but certainly worth the adventure. Pours deep red/brown with little head and even less lacing. The real gem of this porter is the aroma. Wafting sents of coffee bean and dark chocolate are very apparent but not too overwhelming. Lacks the richness of taste and robustness for a post dinner sipping drink but is still very palate friendly. Little to no aftertaste to speak of and the lack of hardiness helps you almost crave another (Or at least another smell) (525 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

I bought this beer in Idaho as I wanted to expand my English beer knowledge. Deep and dark color as a porter should be. Superior malt scent. Espresso/chocolate taste that is remarkable. Low alcohol and very good drinkability. To me this is a porter that should be drank when it's cold outside, in the evening, by the fire. Sit back, relax and enjoy ths wonderful porter! (370 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

I wanted to give this brew all 5's, because it is my my favorite, but in the interest of unbiased fairness, I couldn't.

Pours (from a really neat bottle) really dark brown, ruby against the lights, with a darker-than-most tan two finger head that leaves a sticky lace all the way down the glass, It looks really good, but not what I could call exceptional. :(

Smells of dark malt, mollasses, and a hint of chocolate.

Taste is my favorite part. Very robust, strong black coffee with just a hint of chocolate. A strong hops finish that balances perfectly with the strong coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth, but not thick enough to merit exceptional. :(

I could drink these all day! IMHO, the ruler by which all porters should be measured by. I absolutely LOVE this beer. It's a little hard to find around here, and a little pricey, but well worth it.

Oh, did I mention the "best by" date on the label? Pay close attention to that :) (956 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

This is one of my favorite beers, so you can see where this review is going to go. Poured from 11.2oz. bottle into standard pint glass.

A - Dark brown, almost black pour. Thick, two-finger caramel brown head.

S - Wonderful aroma of coffee and roasted malts with a solid hint of chocolate. I wish they made a candle with this smell, as I would love to have my home smell like this.

T - Taste is that of the smell amplified with a bit more chocolate. Great roasted chocolate aftertaste!

M - Creamy, not unlike Guinness. Medium body with a bot of carbonation. Nothing overpowering and quite easy on the pallet.

D - Very easy to drink and a perfect example of what a porter should be. Definitely worth seeking out. (716 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Served on tap at Lucky Baldwin's Delirium Cafe in Sierra Madre California. Standard pint glass

This beer pours beautifully. As it pours int the cup from the tap it turns to a light brown froth that billows from the bottom up, slowly turning from a dense foam into a brownish black liquid with a 1/2 inch head that last until empty, leaving the most perfect lacing ive ever seen, all the way to the bottom of the glass. even on the bottom of the glass... Very beautiful to watch. This only seems to happen on tap, I haven't been able to pour this effect with a bottle.

The smell is dark chocolate with coffee, some toasty malt, and a light sweetness. Nothing that particularly stands out.

The taste is fantastic and matches the nose only with the sweetness less prominent.

Mouthfeel is medium body, and silky smooth, among the smoothest, if not THE smoothest beer I've ever had the pleasure to drink.

Overall I think this is one of my favorite beers of all time. Enlih porter is my favorite style, and I'm not sure if I prefer this or taddy porter. In bottle form I'd choose the taddy, but the London porter on tap takes the cake... Until I can find taddy on tap, I can't say which is my top beer. (1,205 characters)

This beer pours a dark brown to even black in dark light out of an 18.6oz bottle. It has a small tan head. The smell is very chocolaty and very strong with roasted malts. The taste is of roasted malts with a touch of chocolate and coffee. It has a very smooth feeling while still a little watery. It is bitter and has some earth tones. While this is not my favorite style of beer I would still have to say for its style it is a good beer and worth the time invested in it. (472 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep, dark brown with ruby highlights when held up towards light with a thin tan head. Smells of malty sweetness. Traces of chocolate and perhaps some coffee/roastyness as well. Rather mild in taste, which isn't to say that it is a simple brew. Roasted maltiness rounded out with some hop bitterness, but definately on the malty/sweet side. Was a little disappointed that is wasn't so rich in taste, but this is my first porter that I've tried so perhaps its not fair of me to say. Nice, creamy and very smooth going down, I could sip on this one all night (an advantage of not being so rich).

Overall, this is my first porter, and I thought I would start out with a traditional and well reputed one. Could definately imagine myself sipping on quite a few of these in Londontown during the cold, rainy season of fall in a dark, dank pub and throwing some darts. Very delicious, but in a sort of an understated way. Englishness through and through, and I look forward to trying some more. (998 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Fuller's London Porter is dark brown on the pour with a satisfying tan head. Sweet malt dominates the nose. Tasty chocolate is up front on the taste, with some roasted flavor and slight hopiness at the finish. The taste and body is a little on the thin side or this porter would be even more appealing. In any event, justifiably a favorite. (340 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Visual Appeal: burnt amber, but not as charcoal as a Guiness

Smell: wonderful hint of compote/cooked fruit with syrup

Flavor: dark and fruity, layer of bitterness, entirely smokey

Mouthfeel: not as creamy as I would want, slight effervescence

Drinkability: average ABV makes this relatively high

Recommended to me by men online. Very pleasing, but certainly not my favorite beer or style of beer. VERY smokey. (414 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

This was my first Porter to try. Poured a beautiful dark brown with a small head that disipated quickly. Taste was of roasted malt, also a tiny hint of spice. Went down smooth. It was so good I think I drank it too fast. Definitely one of my new favorite full-bodied beers. (273 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle with best before 08/08 on it. Pours a real deep dark reddish brown with some light shining through it. The aromas are very welcoming with hints of chocolate, coffee, caramels, nuts, and some sweet fruity notes. It has a nice smooth mouthfeel and texture to it with a slight carbonation to it. Tastes of dark chocolate and expresso take control with subtle fruity and sweet tastes round it out for a very solid drinkable porter. I'll definitly keep and eye out for some more of this if I see it in the future. Great stuff. (528 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Pours an almost fully opaque black with just a touch of brown. Generates a nice, foamy tan head that dissipates to a film across the surface of the beer.

S - Prunes and raisins come to the forefront, mixed nicely with coffee and a hint of chocolate.

T - Warm and malty. The chocolate really dominates here, with just the slightest trace of alcohol piggybacking the flavor near the end. There's also a hint of coffee and raisins in the flavor. The taste is very mild and simple at first, but the flavors open up just before the finish.

M - Finishes very smoothly. There is NOTHING unpleasant about the mouthfeel on this one. It's smooth, washes down clean, and leaves a mild and pleasant aftertaste. The carbonation is very mild.

D - Very drinkable. Flavorful enough to be interesting, but not overpowering or cloying. I think this would be a good intro beer for people who've never had a porter or a really dark beer, but it's still good enough to satisfy an experienced beer geek. I might pick myself up a six-pack if I ever spot one. (1,043 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

appearance: Dark with some red coming through in the sunlight. Mocha colored head. Very nice.

Smell: Lots of roasted malts with some overtones of coffee and chocolate.

taste: Is the same as the smell but with a hint of a caramel taste. Also a bit of a nutty finish

mouthfeel: Medium

drinkability: I think its very drinkable. I think its a good beer to get if your just getting into stouts or porters. But still enjoyable for all the porter and stout fans. (459 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

pours a very dark brown with hiints of burgundy when the light is right or the glass half full (empty?)
head is tight and dense, the colour of hagen-daas vanilla ice cream, not bad lacing
aroma is of rich chocolate and coffee-like, a slight sweetness, english hops
wow, tastes of roasted malt, dark dark chocolate (the good stuff), cocoa, sweet black coffee, finishes with a bite and a nice rounding out
mouth feel is is like a foi gras sandwich to begin with, but thins out a bit at the end.
great beer, sorry i hadn't had it until now. probably better with food. on it's on a 500ml bottle is a bit much at once. something to keep the palate clean would allow the flavour to stay fresh. by the end of the bottle it's a bit sour. (734 characters)

Fuller's London Porter from Fuller Smith & Turner PLC