Fuller's London Porter - Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Fuller's London Porter is an award-winning example of this historic English style; smooth and creamy with delicious chocolate and coffee flavors derived from the roasted malt.

The griffin Brewery is Chiswick, London, has brewing fine ales since 1654.

The Fuller, Smith & Turner partnership dating back to 1845, brews an excellent range of award-winning beers, many of which are available in the U.S. including London Pride pale ale and the Old's original ESB.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fuller's London Porter Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark ruby red. Not much head to speak of. Smell was very minimal though there was a faint roastiness and cocoa aroma that came through.

Tastes of molasses and coffee. A creamy beer, yet seemed somewhat rough around the edges for me.

A really good porter, though I am not sure I will visit this one again in the near future.

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Little to no head, dark brown, just shy of a stout

Sweet dark roasted smell, coco, coffee. Hint of hops, floral.

Nice bitter combo from the roast and the hops. Moka taste - same as smell. Fruity flavor emerges that I didn't get in the nose.

Medium body, surprisingly light,
Incredibly drinkable. Great porter, I always enjoy fuller products.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

I love the Fuller's bottle - so robust looking, so elegant, and so inviting.

Unfortunately, this particular bottle is a month past its best before date, so I will re-review when I get another sample.

Impressive pour, just what I expected - deep, opaque brown with a light tan head that left good lacing.

Smell has hints of caramel, coffee, but not as much chocolate as I expected.

This is a fine tasting porter, a real classic, but in my opinion it just doesn't hold a candle to Sam Smith's Taddy Porter. The biggest difference was the presence of some slightly "off" flavors late in the sip in the Fullers. Very nice beer for cold winter nights - warming and delicious. Definitely worth a try, recommended, but I do think there are better English porters out there.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Mmmm, I love a good porter and this is one of them. Smooth is the word - malt, coffee and chocolate to die for. Yet there was my favorite taste in there to - some hops to keep me happy. Another brew that kept giving different flavor bursts from start to finish.

4.44/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 1 pint, 0.9 oz. bottle into a Redhook porter glass.

Appearance: Dark, dark, dark. Only holding it up to the light can you see the dark reddish-brown color. The head dissipated rather quickly, but the lacing held up about halfway down the glass.

Smell: Outstanding. Like roast coffee and dark chocolate.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Bitterness hits right away but goes away quickly, followed by a pleasing mix of roast coffee and dark chocolate flavors, with nutty overtones. Finishes surprisingly smooth, especially if you let it warm up a bit.

Drinkability: Don't think I could make a night out of drinking these, but could definitely put down more than one in a sitting.

Notes: I love dark, malty beers, and this is one of the best I've had. A real full-flavored porter.

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%

Dark brown thick viscous liquid with a brown head. Aroma is coffee, malt and dark fruit. Taste is rich, with chocolate and malt with a full finish and a dry mouthfeel. Quite the porter, I really enjoyed this. Although Fuller's rarely does anything wrong!

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

The first every porter I tried and still my favorite English style porter. Pours your standard dark brown color with tan head. I absolutely love the nose on this beer. It smells like brewing dark beers with that huge roast and chocolate maltiness. There are just enough bittering hops to prevent it from being too sweet. They start on the front of the tongue and fade to the huge roasty, chocolate malt flavors. Just a fantastic lingering finish to it.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

This is a great porter. Pretty much what you would expect. My only concern is that this is a little thin, especially in comparison to the Kernel and a number of other exceptional porters I've had lately. That said, I would certainly have this again, and could even see myself having a session of it if it were on tap.

Overall, certainly worth a go, but not in the same league as the Kernel.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

Black color in the class the is actually a deep, very dark red when held to the light. The initial head was excellent but disappeared quickly leaving lots of spiderwebs on the side of the glass.

The smell is full and makes you believe the beer will be quite hoppy but the taste is quite smooth and sweet. I think I get chocolate off the taste but it is difficult to describe.

The mouthfeel is smooth initially but has a but of a bite right after you swallow. Overall an easy drinking beer with a lot of taste.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

This was my first taste of Fuller's London Porter. I am a big fan of American Porter styles, so this was an attempt to try the original Porter style from Britain. I poured the bottle in a thick pint glass, and noticed very little carbonation. Short, caramel head. The aroma of this beer is excellent... mostly chocolate with some caramel. First taste hits the buds quite a lot more than other Porters I've tried. Reminiscent of a dark-roasted coffee. More hops that I expected, and not very heavy. After a few sips, the flavor settles into a very smooth and malty taste. This is an excellent Porter, no doubt about it.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

Good Beer, It's got a very specific flavor that would really make you say either 'Yum!' or 'Ikkk'. I didn't like the flavor, too yeasty. Dar and rich just like they say but the flavor is just no good to my taste. Kinda like Marmite, if you know it.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Appearance:

Dark Chocolate with amber undertones when held up to the light. Decent head retention and very little carbonation

Smell:

Slightly roasted coffee scent and a bit of grassy hoppiness

Taste:

Roasted coffee dominance followed by a nutty and slight dark chocolate essence. Mild hop bitterness the is very well balanced

Mouthfeel:

Smooth clean feeling on the palate. Leaves a pleasant lingering coffee taste on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability:

This beer went down extremely easy. The mixture of roasted coffee and dark chocolate along with the hops makes for a smooth satisfying porter with a great lingering aftertaste. I'm looking forward to my next

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%