Fuller's London Pride - Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fuller's London Pride Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,023 | Hads: 2,343

Fuller's London Pride Pale Ale

Appearance- caramel brown with a thick, creamy, frothy head that lasts throughout the drinking of the entire beer.
Smell- malt and caramel.
Taste- delicious malt with a hint of caramel. A slight fruity/nut flavor too.

Overall- A perfect beer!!!

I was lucky enough to find this ale on tap at the Royal Mile in Des Moines, Iowa.

This is simply the best ale I've had, ever, hands down. Many prior reviews are of bottles, but on tap this is a must try beer.

Complex, floral taste with smooth finish. Nice coppery color. Ideal session beer.

4.97/5  rDev +26.1%

It's a light copper color, very clear also. A medium head forms and has a short duration, the only reason I didn't give all 5's. A slight film is all I had for most of the glass and no lacing. Mellow and calming effects please the nasal passages with sweet malts and just a smidgeon of happy hops. I am stunned at how smooth and drinkable this beer is. Every sip becomes larger and larger as I try to have as much of this luscious fluid touch my tastebuds. There is no "biting" hops bitterness. A more mellow hop character is preceded by a lightly carbonated and very wonderful maltiness. I am most definitely a big fan of Fuller's now, after loving the London Porter and 1845, and now this pale ale that is well worthy the London Pride moniker.....my favorite beer out of England so far.

4.95/5  rDev +25.6%

Nice golden color with a nice off-white head, nice active carbonation, and leaves nice lace rings. Beautiful balanced honey-like malt aroma and flavor with a perfect bitter hop balance. Light-medium bodied and smooth.

A classic English session ale !! Much smoother and better balanced than the ESB in my book.

Per Fuller's website: Target, Challenger and Northdown hop varieties.

Best Before: 02/12/06
Tasted: 10/08/05

(11.2 oz)
($8.99 / 6-pack)

4.87/5  rDev +23.6%

First rated in October 2002 and sampled with bottles of other Pale Ales. I may have been too kind to that lot; or, at least, my taste has tipped in favor of this style decisively. I'm raising it 0.5 on appearance.

The color is of reddish burned sugars, and it demonstrates a clotting off-white froth; this before it resigns to a state of a translucent paper-wrapping over a glass-clear globe of tawny liquid. The bouquet is well-fruited: suggestive of whole, ripe red apples. A surge of perfumy vanilla and arsenic endow the nose with sophistication. Big drafts of it on the gob are a challenge to humble, proletarian modesty. The silk in these tannins must be very high priced, one would assume. But then -- especially for whomever gustatory thrills are routine -- it is just as easy to tear open that silken bodice and inhale the busty brilliance of this bronze.

It is rich, replete with the flavors of best-quality nutshells, quite bitter actually, and hopped lavishly; yet with complete deference to the fruit. And so it is in the background where herb joins malty, yeast-mothered apples, cherries and melon rind. This intersection -- and one must search a little for it -- contains all of the staple sensations of an opium or cigar den: vanilla, tobacco, incense, grape jelly, toast.

Granting myself the last word, Fuller's seems like a top-notch outfit. I can think of no reason not to consider them for Best British Brewery and an automatic contender for Best World Brewery.

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

Hand-pulled and boy what a difference it makes. This blows any other Fullers beer I've tried out of the water. Tons of flavor, creamy, nutty; a huge beer flavor-wise, but remains incredibly easy to drink. Head leaves perfect rings down the glass, and the beer massages the inside of my throat on the way down. Generous malt presence; initially sweet up front, but said sweetness makes ample room for assertive hops and a perfectly dry finish. The aftertaste toys with me, teasing, beckoning me to partake in more. I happily obey. It's an experience like this that makes beers like Bass and Boddington's seem especially dull. The bartender told me that most customers don't like the cask-conditioned beers and instead opt for Heineken, Corona, Amstel Light. Idiots. More for me, I guess.

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

A totally soothing smooth malty ale. The bottled version we get here is just a tease. Having this cask conditioned in the U.K. is really where it's at, Maltier almost caramel taste is the base. Smooth mellow hops with a touch of fruitiness rounds out this top ale. One of the keepers.

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

A first note should be made that this beer is best enjoyed in its cask conditioned form pulled by hand from a beer engine in London where it is made and is freshest. The Fuller, Turner and Smith Brewery is located in Cheswick, London and London Pride is amongst the most poular Real Ales in the city.

In America it can be found in bottles and on draught, and although you won't find it cask conditioned here, freshness should still be made the upmost priority. Another note should be made that it should not be drunk or served at American near freezing temperatures, but rather in the mid 40F range (cellar temperature) of British ales, and should not be served in a chilled glass. When ordering here I will often order two, and let the second stand while I enjoy the first. The second will then be the perfect temperature. I keep this beer on draught in the cooler winter months and it is my favourite cold weather beer. When serving from the keg, I recommend tapping into and then serving from a pitcher; this tends to help the head become more creamy, somewhat simulating the cask pull in each pour. I have tried pulling it through the beer engine, but the extra forced carbonation of the export version is too much for the sparkler. I would enjoy the keg version of this beer more were there less carbonation.

In any regard, when well kept and properly served, I place London Pride at the very top of my favourite beers, and a benchmark for all British pale ale. It is delicately balanced, and a fine session beer. Whith its bright copper color, smooth lacy head, moderate alchohol and pleasantly balanced finish, London Pride pairs excellently with prime rib, steaks and other hearty beef meals, as well as with fish&chips.

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

Wonderfully inviting amber colour with ruby tones and a tan, creamy head that is retained rather well.

Fresh bouquet with hints of fruit. There is also a touch of malt and quite a great deal of caramel in the smell.

At the first sip of the brew the mouthfeel is malty and medium-bodied, with quite a high carbonation. However, as this goes down the taste becomes much better and with more texture. The brew brings a fresh moutfeel with a finish of dried fruit, caramel and even a little honey, probably from the malty sweetness.

I truly adore this beer, as it is a very drinkable and a very tasty english pale ale. I could probably go all night drinking just this one and Fuller's ESB, one after another.

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

Amber golden color, clear. Some little bubbles. Small foamy head, very few lacing.

Malty, fruity, a little grassy.

Malty, caramel, toffee, a little toasty. Fruity, green apple and pear, a little sweet mandarin. Mild grassy hops at the end. Finish off very crisp with sweet citrus aftertaste. Body is pretty juicy, but very crisp. Well carbonated.

Very drinkable.

4.84/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent beer, this style is kind of underrated but EPAs are awesome. Malty profile with caramel notes. Mineral water is present. Medium bitterness with noble hops character.

4.82/5  rDev +22.3%

A- Pours a slightly hazy rich golden color, with a thick foamy, off white head that doesn't last too long, however it leaves behind a dense, creamy film over top of the brew. It also has some good sticky lacing that clings to the glass very well. I do like the masculine bottle that Fuller's uses...just a classic old school look that shows off well.

S- This has a well rounded aroma overall. Initially, I smell sweet tropical fruits, namely bananas and fresh mango, before you would cut into it. Then there is a buttery, biscuit aroma about it, that just gives off a smooth character. The malts are nicely balanced by a bitter hopped aroma, that isn't dominant, but pronounced enough that you know it's gonna taste good!

T- Take the near perfect aroma and enhance it....that's what this great beer tastes like. There is a well rounded grainy malt sweetness, that really does remind me of a fresh piece of multigrain bread that's been buttered. The hopped finish is just great...it is so fresh it tastes like something that's just been dry-hopped before I drink it! The flavors are well balanced and linger on my palate well after I have swallowed the beer!

M- The carbonation is low and mild....I good combo for a true English Ale. The body is medium-full, but not too thick feeling. It's creamy, zippy, buttery and refreshing all at the same time. I really get a sense of fresh quality malts and hops being used in this beer!

D- No question one of the best beers that I've had the opportunity to enjoy. It's refreshing enough to enjoy out on the patio, and would make an excellent session beer out at the pub with a good meal. I highly recommend this and would say that this is the best Ale I've come across so far!

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoy drinking this fine brew. I've also had it on tap while I was visiting London a few times. This one is sort of in a class all by itself... it has just about the right balance of everything.

Appearance - A slightly hazy amber color with light carbonation, poured with a nice 6 mm head that diminished ever so slowly... although I may have consumed it too fast to truly tell. Left a considerable amount of lacing around the glass. The overall appearance is very inviting.

Smell - Sweet malty aroma with a hint of hops. Can almost imagine I sense some barreled oak
with a mix of fruits and flowers as well. No citrus is evident.

Taste - Difficult to tell but I do sense a hint of vanilla and some berries on the aftertaste. Whatever it is... it is quite good!

Mouthfeel - Just about perfect. Extremely smooth beer that went down begging for more. Would definitely go very well with an order of fish-n-chips or a sheppard's pie!

Overall - Please don't pass this one up if you have the opportunity. It is very well crafted and has earned it's right to stand amongst the very finest ales in the world!

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

Poured into a tulip glass, comes out a dark amber color with a 1 inch off-white head that doesn't stick much to the glass, but hung around for most of the tasting. Aroma is slightly sweet, fruity, toasted malts come out the most, with a faint hop aroma. Taste...fantastic! Starts off a little malty, faintly sweet, with hops coming through a bit at the finish. Goes down very easy, dangerously drinkable! A must-try for those who prefer this style.

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

Just had this one again on draught at St, Andrews in NYC last week. While I have always enjoyed this beer from the bottle, you must have it on draught to truly enjoy it. St. Andrews also keeps it at the proper temperature so that the true flavour abounds. The mouthfeel was particularly wonderful, and taste is always good. Well, I'll be going back to the bottle version, as I don't get the draught up here in NW Connecticut. One of my favourite session beers--full stop!

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

Have had this on cask and bottled. Outstanding either way. Balanced malt and hops. Very smooth. More focus on the malt than the hoppier American Pale Ales. I always have a few of these in the fridge.

4.77/5  rDev +21.1%

Pours a nice amber color and has a thin white head that leaves decent lace. There is very little hops in the nose, but the bready malty aroma is inviting. I have never had a English pale ale before, so this was a total surprise to me. The subdued hoppiness and strong malty character is vastly different from the American interpretation. This is a very drinkable brew that is surely going to grow on me the more I drink it.

Sampled on tap from Shakespeares Pub in San Diego

The beer arrived in a British pint glass, filled just to the top. It was orange-red and clear. Virtually no head. Sweet smell of malt.

First taste brings sweet malt, then an enormous hit of caramel and toffee. It's fairly dry with the hops balancing the sweetness perfectly. Not thin, but not a monster, either... just right.

Awesome beer all around. I love this beer on tap and in the bottle. Need to taste a few more times to discern the difference.

4.77/5  rDev +21.1%

Appearance is translucent amber with beige foam and long lived lace. Aroma has notes of toast, crackers, toffee, brown sugar – and lots of hops. Initial taste is of just-right carbonation, malt, sourdough bread, sweet butter and bitter hops. Finish leaves apricot hops on your tongue. Masterfully crafted!

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: brilliantly clear golden to amber, 1” head dissipates to thick film producing thick lacing. Low head retention due to low carbonation.
S: Light fruit in the plum to grape range, light sweet malt, did not get caramel, fruitiness moderate, less hops in the aroma than in the flavor, no diacetyl.
T: Delicate balance of fruit, light malt and earthy British hops. The malt and fruit drop away for a pleasant lingering bitter aftertaste that cleanses the palate.
F: medium to medium low body, medium low carbonation, no astringency, creamy, no alcohol warmth.
O: a refreshing well balanced flavorful session Ale. Balanced to the hops, drinkable.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

This is what I think of when I think of English Bitters. Beautiful reddish brown color with a nice rich head of foam. Clean peppery taste with a warm bitter aftertaste.

This was the best bear I had in England this trip.

4.73/5  rDev +20.1%

Awesome beer. If you like malt heavy easy to drink beers. This is your guy.

It looks great with care invested.

Scent is complex.

Mellow flavor with hints of wood, almonds , and vanilla. Very sweetlly robust.

Finishes very comfortable and friendly.
simply scrumptious.

Everyome should try this beer.

On my top five.

4.73/5  rDev +20.1%

This is a beautiful beer. For the style I can't think of a beer that looks better in a glass. Nice foamy, cream colored head (my only negative comment is that I wish the head would hang around a little longer). It's a nice amber and copper color in the light.

This is my favorite Pale Ale. I like the floral aroma and the hops. It has a caramel character but not sweet. Smooth and creamy feel.

You need to try this one. I'd like to make this my every day beer.

4.72/5  rDev +19.8%

Had a pint glass of this from the bottle.

A-clear, light amber body and a spongy off white head.

S-mineral smell and fruity

T-lots of flavor, malt, orange peel, small amount of hop flavor at the end

M-smooth, medium

D-just the benchmark for this style. Really incredible.

4.72/5  rDev +19.8%

I am currently trying this side by side with Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale.

Also, let me be up front, I ahve always thought this was a world class beer and one of my personal favorites.

That said...

Pours a light copper color... a couple shades lighter than a Duracell cap.

Aromas of biscuit, bread and subtle fruitiness with a touch of herbalness from the hops. Nothing overpowers-- all balance all the time.

Taste is pure balance of malt and hops with a pleasantly clean, dry finish. Feels full in the moth, but not heavy-- a kind of Goldilocks of mouthfeels.

Overall, this can be held as a standard for the style.

For me, this is my favorite for a great sandwich and compelling reading on evening best spent at home.

Fuller's London Pride from Fuller Smith & Turner PLC