2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fuller's London Pride - Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller's London PrideFuller's London Pride

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC visit their website

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fuller's London Pride Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,766 | Reviews: 971 | Show All Ratings:
jkrane

Ontario (Canada)

1.1/5  rDev -72.2%

I bought a can of this stuff at LCBO, because it looked good, and I thought it was on sale for $2.00 for a tallcan. It was actually $2.80, not $2.00, so I expected something delicious.

Boy was I in for a surprise.

I cracked open the can, and the distinct smell of urine wafted very quickly up to my nostrils. I drank a small sip, it tasted like it smelled, and I kicked myself in the ass for wasting my money on this "premium ale".

Now I understand why the British refer to "getting drunk", as "getting pissed"!

The urine the beer ratio in the can is UNACCEPTIBREW!!

Shameful 1/5.

The British should stick to fish and chips, and leave the brewing for us North Americans!

11-01-2013 00:36:05 | More by jkrane
DerBayer

Germany

1.3/5  rDev -67.2%

This really isnt a good beer i m afraid:

A - best thing about it a kind of honey amberish look but soapy head

S - Citrussy acidic and off-honey

T - TAstes like honey gone off or maybe earwax

M - This is a very flat beer almost stale - i know English ales are meant to be flat but this could really be used to do the dishes in its lukewarm state

D - Considering the above LOW

07-11-2009 22:13:00 | More by DerBayer
gonzo46and2

1.73/5  rDev -56.3%

Wow. I love me some London porter.... Their ESB is nice too... This was awful.

Appearance is average. It's a red pour with a rocky small head that diminishes.

Smell is so full of butter, butterscotch, diacetyl... ick... Ok there's some hops in there that make is somewhat palatable but this was not a beer I enjoyed.

Taste is loaded with butter.

Mouthfeel is thick with a tongue sweater that I didn't want. ... Not a good choice for anyone who doesn't like buttery overly sweet pale ales. The hops need more spotlight.

08-03-2008 04:39:08 | More by gonzo46and2
Jammies

2.15/5  rDev -45.7%

A - Pours an orange-yellow with a very thin layer of foam. The foam lingers before disappearing.

S - Can definitely smell the malts. Also a slightly sweet odor is detectable

T - Disappointing. Not much substance, thin and malty.

M - Very thin and watery. A malts have a bite.

O - Overall a huge disappointment.

11-26-2011 17:12:50 | More by Jammies
phisig137

2.38/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours a amber color with a thin white head. Blanket forms on top of the glass.

Aroma is a let down, hints of caramel, but mainly corny smelling.

flavor is just as bad. Tastes like a train wreck of adjunct grains and diacetyl. Mildly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is thin and overcarbonated. Drinkability is decent at best. I find myself almost choking this down.

04-19-2006 01:31:13 | More by phisig137
likethetaste

2.55/5  rDev -35.6%

I had high expectations for this Pale ale. Got a 6 pack and don't know if i got a defective 6 pack because this smelled and tasted like medicine. Just not a good flavor and the mouth feel and drinkablity was just so so. I Like Sam Smith's Pale ale much better but so far, I know I am crazy to say so ... I just like Sam Adams Pale ale better than any others I have tried.

06-24-2010 19:12:34 | More by likethetaste
Schwab

2.58/5  rDev -34.8%

I poured a bottle of London Pride in a glass. Beer has a nice amber color and I noticed immediately the head and carbonation level. While a nice head is great IMO, this head came fully from over carbonation. I'm not sure if it is with all the London Pride bottles, but this one was clearly over carbonated. I let it sit for a few minutes before I took the first sip.
Beer tastes decent but stays behind in its class. Somewhat malt and hop flavor, seemed well balanced but again way below for its class.

02-09-2009 03:14:53 | More by Schwab
tjthresh

Indiana

2.6/5  rDev -34.3%

On tap at Barley’s. Notes of baked goods, oatmeal cookies, and light hops. Copper orange. Poured with no head. Little evidence of carbonation. Bready/biscuity caramel malts. Floral/perfumy hop flavor. At bit on the thin side, watery, with little carbonation. All said, this was a very ordinary beer.

08-22-2005 17:26:10 | More by tjthresh
tigg924

2.65/5  rDev -33.1%

Appearance: amber, small head, no carbonation

Smell: malts, bread, and honey

Taste: a very malty/bready start followed by a slight hop finish

Mouthfeel: smooth light and a slight bitter finish

Drinkability: Not for me. This beer has two dimensions, but kind of fizzles. I will not be having this one again

03-04-2009 05:24:48 | More by tigg924
Onenote81

2.65/5  rDev -33.1%

This pours a clear gold with a moderate amount of bubbles rising up. Some small head at first, but quickly becomes nothing. Little lacing. Smells of bread, earth, wood, and just a hint of honey sweetness.

Mouthfeel is crisp, yet smooth. Well done. Now the flavor on this is a conundrum. It tastes like beef stew with potatoes to me. Very beefy. No sweetness, but a hint of hoppy bitterness; not citrus or piney, mind you, but rather beefy. This is weird. I'll give it another shot if I see it on tap, but this is really different. What type of malts make up a meaty flavor?

06-15-2009 21:11:17 | More by Onenote81
Shrews629

Kentucky

2.68/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Orangish, amber in color with yellow highlights. Mostly white to slightly off white head that had nice retention and lacing. Mostly clear, but a bit of haze is there.

Smell - Buttery aroma. Some floral hops, but not overpowering. Slightly sweet smelling. Smelling some sourness

Taste - This does not remind me of a pale ale. Very buttery. A bit too much for me. Bread and biscuit flavors. A bit of bitterness, but is was very faint. Some sourness coming through.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light on the mouthfeel. Smooth and easy drinking. Some flavor left on the palate.

Drinkability - I think I must get past due brews. I have found that to be a problem at the store I frequent. This beer did not match any of the prior descriptions I have read. I finished the glass however. I would like to review this as a fresh brew. I know my nose and palate are not that far off.

12-05-2010 22:30:21 | More by Shrews629
broompa

2.68/5  rDev -32.3%

Personally, this reminded me of old red vermouth... in beer form. I had a hard time drinking it and when I pawned it off on my friends, they didn't like it either!! Maybe just not my style, I suppose. Other than the odd taste I experienced, it looked and stood like a decent beer should.

08-09-2011 00:46:24 | More by broompa
donkeyrunner

2.73/5  rDev -31.1%

Bottle label says, "outstanding." I find that full of hubris.

Clear, golden pear color with a decent white head. Skim retention leaves a minor lacey infrastructure. Best by date of 7/30/10.

Aroma is of toasted fruit--kinda between a fruitcake and toast with a mix of apple and orange jelly on top. Sulfur.

Burnt pale malt into a lighter, sweeter biscuit dry apple and pear malt. Sharp diacetyl and mineral water. Tastes like when I leave a glass of water on the nightstand for a few days.

To use and English phrase, it's "not my cup of tea."

12-15-2009 22:08:18 | More by donkeyrunner
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

We just got back from London, and I didn't drink this beer while in the UK. However, we did see the brewery. We didn't do a tour, but saw it while driving from the airport to our hotel. It was neat, and Sheryl got a good picture of the building. It would make sense that we would drink a London Pride while in London… but we didn't. I had a TON of cider, though. I am becoming a cider guy, that's for sure. But since this is their most popular beer, I am excited to try it. Let's drink!

In the Glass: It looks like a pale ale in the glass. There are some things floating in the glass… not sure what that is, but a lot of sediment is sinking to the bottom. Hope that doesn't affect the flavor of the beer.

Nose: Not much aroma here. What is there is nothing more than a faint bitter aroma. Nothing to write home about.

Flavor: The flavor isn't that impressive, either. However, it is perfectly balanced. There isn't a lot of bitterness, and the hop character is very muted. When they say you should drink this with a London pub lunch… I totally get it. The bangers and mash would go perfectly with this beer. I wonder what this would taste like on cask. Nearly every beer in England was pull.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is basic. There isn't much going on, not much carbonation, and it's a pretty boring, yet very drinkable beer. We are drinking this ice cold, and I am sure that helps with the smoothness, but even when swishing it around in my mouth, the bubbles aren't obvious.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is the best part about this beer. It's incredible, and sticks around for a long time. I am talking several minutes after you swallow. I can totally see why this is the most popular beer in the UK.

I am not sure I would order this… or if bars here even carry this. But the next time I am in the UK, you can bet I order some bangers and mash and a pint of London Pride. Bottoms up, people!

Fuller's London Pride - The bottle says: "Fuller's London Pride is an award-winning English classic premium beer, rich and smooth, with a good malty base and well-developed hop notes in the finish. The Griffin Brewery in Chiswick, London has been brewing fine beers since 1650. The Fuller, Smith & Turner partnership, dating back to 1845, brews an excellent range of award-winning beers, many of which are available in the USA, including London Pride premium and the world's original ESB. I hope you will enjoy trying all our fine beers."

09-08-2012 18:28:37 | More by rickyleepotts
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

2.78/5  rDev -29.8%

A - this Fuller's pours a true lager brown with a 1/2 a finger of head, which tranforms to a lace in under a minute

S - this Fuller's has a slight white grape aroma, with the typical hops.malt aromas

T - this brew has an uncomplicated flavor arrangerment, its sweet but otherwise unidentifiable

M - pretty average, warm and smooth

D - high, with a refreshing bitter twang at the end

03-24-2006 05:03:40 | More by sinstaineddemon
smcreator

2.8/5  rDev -29.3%

I am not a fan of London's beer overall. Most of the beer tasted flat (this one for example). The flavors are also somewhat bland.

A: Thin film of splotchy head and golden brown color with moderate lacing.
S: Almost completely lacking any distinct smell other than a hint of grain.
T: Cream hoppy start with a very bitter finish on the tongue. the bitterness will tame as you drink the beer.
M: Light body with little carbonation.

07-19-2007 16:00:52 | More by smcreator
semihobo

2.8/5  rDev -29.3%

Reviewed on a plane at 39,000 feet. 12 oz can, best by 09 April 08, accompanied by warm nuts.

Flight attendant sprayed me with the foam when it opened. Poured into a room temperature short round glass. Great head, captivating with dense foam with some pockets. Maintained at a height of several fingers. Very clear, a definitely rose hue keeps pace with the amber shade. Great lacing on the sides.

The smell is a complex blend of peppery hops and biscuity malts. The can notes 3 hop varieties (target, challenger, northdown) -- very multidimensional profile with pepper, grass, and pine.

Taste is balanced as expected, although not as strong as I'd anticipated. Dry throughout until the finish, good use of bittering hops. An off-note lurks, tastes like corn or other adjunct and imparts an unnatural spooky tone. Thin on taste.

Body is as light as can be, low carbonation makes the off-flavor worse.

Could be fine at a pub but don't examine it too closely. Goes great with salted cashews. Has its ups and downs, in the end I'm neutral about having another. Will switch to Glenlivet for the remainder of the flight.

01-27-2008 21:36:15 | More by semihobo
ultrasupergenius

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%

Served from cask to an imperial pint glass.

Copper pushing toward nutty in color.

Little to no head.

Mellow but good. A general standard for an English cask ale - nothing terribly noticeable... just generally good all around. Sets a baseline.

Cask serving leaves it somewhat lifeless in terns of carbonation and fizz... but that is to be expected. Slightly livelier when served from a 50cl bottle.

12-02-2011 19:38:49 | More by ultrasupergenius
mrasskicktastic

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear copper brew. A small head, scattering dots of lacing.

S - Malt and an earthy hop. Simple, but pleasant.

T - Slightly sweet, with a slight wooded taste with a minuscule sour bite. Aftertaste is a little odd with some weird earthen flavor and a bit of a bland wood.

M - Watery, a little harsh and a little drying.

D - Not awful, but not great either. I could see why it would be easy to drink a half dozen of these with some british pub food, but I'd rather drink something else.

01-04-2012 05:49:48 | More by mrasskicktastic
marcobrau

2.93/5  rDev -26%

Pours with a ton of carbonation, making for a big fluffy white head. Not much in in the way of aroma. A hoppy, spicy beer, and surprisingly clean tasting for an English ale. Pours as clear as most pilsners -- where's the yeast? (This is obviously not a bottle-conditioned ale.) Almost reminds of a little bit of the last Pilsner Urquell I had -- but his is supposed to be an ale, right? A good beer, but lacking some of the traits of other English beers from other breweries I Iike -- Young's or Adnam's, for example -- the mouthfeel, body and fruitiness contributed by the yeast. A bit of a dispointment in terms of the style but is good for impersonating a nice spicy pilsner.

01-03-2005 01:33:36 | More by marcobrau
klewis

2.93/5  rDev -26%

A: Pours a clear, deep golden with a big frothy head. Rings of lacing are stuck like glue all around the glass. Very nice

S: Not much here, malt, maybe some honey. Smells almost like an amped up BMC beer.

T: Malty up front, some bubble gum and honey flavors, and then some delicate hop flavor in the finish. Overall the flavor is sort of flat.

M: Medium body with light carbonation. Smooth and slick texture.

D: Great appearance and mouthfeel, but the smell and taste leave something to be desired. Overall, this gets a "meh" rating from me.

03-30-2006 20:51:00 | More by klewis
GallowsOak

2.93/5  rDev -26%

Fuller's London Pride, a heavily marketed reasonable ale aimed at the masses. Probably a beer that was in its day memorable but now a beer that is close to bland. Certainly better than keg bitters, but equally not worth a special trip for. It's a beer that I will happily drink unless there is something better on the next pump, and sadly for Fullers, there often is.

07-14-2006 22:10:50 | More by GallowsOak
IceAce

2.95/5  rDev -25.5%

Appearance: Medium-copper body with excellent clarity. Head is virtually non-existant with just a smattering of foam in my straight-side Libby pint glass. Large fish-eye bubbles cling to the inside of the glass from top to bottom...soap? grease? This beer certainly deserves a better presentation than this...

Aroma: Acidic nose with malt-vinegar undertones.

Taste: A true English-malt dominated brew made the classic style...just a hint of hops (fuggles?) in the finish.

Mouthfeel: A virtually flat beer with a thin slippery presence.

Drinkability: A dependable English PA...best paired with an order of Fish-n-Chips.

10-28-2004 20:34:39 | More by IceAce
anneseg

2.95/5  rDev -25.5%

Color was amber with barely any head. Not much in the way of aroma, I thought that were would be a more noticeable hop aroma. Honestly the beer tasted a little watered down, more so that normal cask beers. The most prominent taste that came through was the challenger hops.

04-17-2010 06:07:26 | More by anneseg
bobhits

Kentucky

2.98/5  rDev -24.7%

This beer is rather hyped up so I guess the question is why?

Well, the appearance is pretty generic. A nice orange color, head doesn't last and not lacing. The aroma really gives of a good bit of cereal malt sweetness and a hint of tea perhaps from the hops.

The flavor is rather complex...extremely so. I really like the yeast that fullers uses. There is a certain fruity flavor it gives off that is really nice. From there the malt is grainy and the hops are well English (BTW the big difference in american an english pales and ipas is often said to be the amount of hops. This is wrong. It is the TYPES of hops!) and frankly I just can't get excited for English hops. They just aren't for me.

Easy drinking beer with a LOT going on.

I love how complex this beer is. I really won't bother trying to put words to the flavors. The thing is I'm somewhat indifferent all and all on this one.

11-14-2011 02:42:57 | More by bobhits