1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Fuller's London Pride - Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller's London PrideFuller's London Pride

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fuller's London Pride Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev -32.7%

Appearance: amber, small head, no carbonation

Smell: malts, bread, and honey

Taste: a very malty/bready start followed by a slight hop finish

Mouthfeel: smooth light and a slight bitter finish

Drinkability: Not for me. This beer has two dimensions, but kind of fizzles. I will not be having this one again

2.65/5  rDev -32.7%

This pours a clear gold with a moderate amount of bubbles rising up. Some small head at first, but quickly becomes nothing. Little lacing. Smells of bread, earth, wood, and just a hint of honey sweetness.

Mouthfeel is crisp, yet smooth. Well done. Now the flavor on this is a conundrum. It tastes like beef stew with potatoes to me. Very beefy. No sweetness, but a hint of hoppy bitterness; not citrus or piney, mind you, but rather beefy. This is weird. I'll give it another shot if I see it on tap, but this is really different. What type of malts make up a meaty flavor?

2.68/5  rDev -32%

Personally, this reminded me of old red vermouth... in beer form. I had a hard time drinking it and when I pawned it off on my friends, they didn't like it either!! Maybe just not my style, I suppose. Other than the odd taste I experienced, it looked and stood like a decent beer should.

2.68/5  rDev -32%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Orangish, amber in color with yellow highlights. Mostly white to slightly off white head that had nice retention and lacing. Mostly clear, but a bit of haze is there.

Smell - Buttery aroma. Some floral hops, but not overpowering. Slightly sweet smelling. Smelling some sourness

Taste - This does not remind me of a pale ale. Very buttery. A bit too much for me. Bread and biscuit flavors. A bit of bitterness, but is was very faint. Some sourness coming through.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light on the mouthfeel. Smooth and easy drinking. Some flavor left on the palate.

Drinkability - I think I must get past due brews. I have found that to be a problem at the store I frequent. This beer did not match any of the prior descriptions I have read. I finished the glass however. I would like to review this as a fresh brew. I know my nose and palate are not that far off.

2.73/5  rDev -30.7%

Bottle label says, "outstanding." I find that full of hubris.

Clear, golden pear color with a decent white head. Skim retention leaves a minor lacey infrastructure. Best by date of 7/30/10.

Aroma is of toasted fruit--kinda between a fruitcake and toast with a mix of apple and orange jelly on top. Sulfur.

Burnt pale malt into a lighter, sweeter biscuit dry apple and pear malt. Sharp diacetyl and mineral water. Tastes like when I leave a glass of water on the nightstand for a few days.

To use and English phrase, it's "not my cup of tea."

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%

We just got back from London, and I didn't drink this beer while in the UK. However, we did see the brewery. We didn't do a tour, but saw it while driving from the airport to our hotel. It was neat, and Sheryl got a good picture of the building. It would make sense that we would drink a London Pride while in London… but we didn't. I had a TON of cider, though. I am becoming a cider guy, that's for sure. But since this is their most popular beer, I am excited to try it. Let's drink!

In the Glass: It looks like a pale ale in the glass. There are some things floating in the glass… not sure what that is, but a lot of sediment is sinking to the bottom. Hope that doesn't affect the flavor of the beer.

Nose: Not much aroma here. What is there is nothing more than a faint bitter aroma. Nothing to write home about.

Flavor: The flavor isn't that impressive, either. However, it is perfectly balanced. There isn't a lot of bitterness, and the hop character is very muted. When they say you should drink this with a London pub lunch… I totally get it. The bangers and mash would go perfectly with this beer. I wonder what this would taste like on cask. Nearly every beer in England was pull.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is basic. There isn't much going on, not much carbonation, and it's a pretty boring, yet very drinkable beer. We are drinking this ice cold, and I am sure that helps with the smoothness, but even when swishing it around in my mouth, the bubbles aren't obvious.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is the best part about this beer. It's incredible, and sticks around for a long time. I am talking several minutes after you swallow. I can totally see why this is the most popular beer in the UK.

I am not sure I would order this… or if bars here even carry this. But the next time I am in the UK, you can bet I order some bangers and mash and a pint of London Pride. Bottoms up, people!

Fuller's London Pride - The bottle says: "Fuller's London Pride is an award-winning English classic premium beer, rich and smooth, with a good malty base and well-developed hop notes in the finish. The Griffin Brewery in Chiswick, London has been brewing fine beers since 1650. The Fuller, Smith & Turner partnership, dating back to 1845, brews an excellent range of award-winning beers, many of which are available in the USA, including London Pride premium and the world's original ESB. I hope you will enjoy trying all our fine beers."

2.78/5  rDev -29.4%

A - this Fuller's pours a true lager brown with a 1/2 a finger of head, which tranforms to a lace in under a minute

S - this Fuller's has a slight white grape aroma, with the typical hops.malt aromas

T - this brew has an uncomplicated flavor arrangerment, its sweet but otherwise unidentifiable

M - pretty average, warm and smooth

D - high, with a refreshing bitter twang at the end

2.8/5  rDev -28.9%

Reviewed on a plane at 39,000 feet. 12 oz can, best by 09 April 08, accompanied by warm nuts.

Flight attendant sprayed me with the foam when it opened. Poured into a room temperature short round glass. Great head, captivating with dense foam with some pockets. Maintained at a height of several fingers. Very clear, a definitely rose hue keeps pace with the amber shade. Great lacing on the sides.

The smell is a complex blend of peppery hops and biscuity malts. The can notes 3 hop varieties (target, challenger, northdown) -- very multidimensional profile with pepper, grass, and pine.

Taste is balanced as expected, although not as strong as I'd anticipated. Dry throughout until the finish, good use of bittering hops. An off-note lurks, tastes like corn or other adjunct and imparts an unnatural spooky tone. Thin on taste.

Body is as light as can be, low carbonation makes the off-flavor worse.

Could be fine at a pub but don't examine it too closely. Goes great with salted cashews. Has its ups and downs, in the end I'm neutral about having another. Will switch to Glenlivet for the remainder of the flight.

2.8/5  rDev -28.9%

I am not a fan of London's beer overall. Most of the beer tasted flat (this one for example). The flavors are also somewhat bland.

A: Thin film of splotchy head and golden brown color with moderate lacing.
S: Almost completely lacking any distinct smell other than a hint of grain.
T: Cream hoppy start with a very bitter finish on the tongue. the bitterness will tame as you drink the beer.
M: Light body with little carbonation.

2.9/5  rDev -26.4%

Served from cask to an imperial pint glass.

Copper pushing toward nutty in color.

Little to no head.

Mellow but good. A general standard for an English cask ale - nothing terribly noticeable... just generally good all around. Sets a baseline.

Cask serving leaves it somewhat lifeless in terns of carbonation and fizz... but that is to be expected. Slightly livelier when served from a 50cl bottle.

2.9/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear copper brew. A small head, scattering dots of lacing.

S - Malt and an earthy hop. Simple, but pleasant.

T - Slightly sweet, with a slight wooded taste with a minuscule sour bite. Aftertaste is a little odd with some weird earthen flavor and a bit of a bland wood.

M - Watery, a little harsh and a little drying.

D - Not awful, but not great either. I could see why it would be easy to drink a half dozen of these with some british pub food, but I'd rather drink something else.

2.93/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours with a ton of carbonation, making for a big fluffy white head. Not much in in the way of aroma. A hoppy, spicy beer, and surprisingly clean tasting for an English ale. Pours as clear as most pilsners -- where's the yeast? (This is obviously not a bottle-conditioned ale.) Almost reminds of a little bit of the last Pilsner Urquell I had -- but his is supposed to be an ale, right? A good beer, but lacking some of the traits of other English beers from other breweries I Iike -- Young's or Adnam's, for example -- the mouthfeel, body and fruitiness contributed by the yeast. A bit of a dispointment in terms of the style but is good for impersonating a nice spicy pilsner.

2.93/5  rDev -25.6%

A: Pours a clear, deep golden with a big frothy head. Rings of lacing are stuck like glue all around the glass. Very nice

S: Not much here, malt, maybe some honey. Smells almost like an amped up BMC beer.

T: Malty up front, some bubble gum and honey flavors, and then some delicate hop flavor in the finish. Overall the flavor is sort of flat.

M: Medium body with light carbonation. Smooth and slick texture.

D: Great appearance and mouthfeel, but the smell and taste leave something to be desired. Overall, this gets a "meh" rating from me.

2.93/5  rDev -25.6%

Fuller's London Pride, a heavily marketed reasonable ale aimed at the masses. Probably a beer that was in its day memorable but now a beer that is close to bland. Certainly better than keg bitters, but equally not worth a special trip for. It's a beer that I will happily drink unless there is something better on the next pump, and sadly for Fullers, there often is.

2.95/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance: Medium-copper body with excellent clarity. Head is virtually non-existant with just a smattering of foam in my straight-side Libby pint glass. Large fish-eye bubbles cling to the inside of the glass from top to bottom...soap? grease? This beer certainly deserves a better presentation than this...

Aroma: Acidic nose with malt-vinegar undertones.

Taste: A true English-malt dominated brew made the classic style...just a hint of hops (fuggles?) in the finish.

Mouthfeel: A virtually flat beer with a thin slippery presence.

Drinkability: A dependable English PA...best paired with an order of Fish-n-Chips.

Fuller's London Pride from Fuller Smith & Turner PLC