Fuller's London Pride - Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,206 | Reviews: 1,009

Pours a very slightly hazy golden brown with a small-ish off-white head.

Smells of biscuit/bread, with a bit of nuttiness and an earthy-floral hoppiness, as well as a slightly acrid-sour zing. Some subdued fruity esters

Taste is very well balanced between munich-like melanoidins, biscuit-y grassy grains, light caramels, tilted slightly towards a clean hoppy bitterness. There's some notable hops flavour as well, but nothing like the ESB has. This way seems a lot more 'English' to me, though I go with even less in my English ales. Finishes medium-dry to dry with a very mildly butter toffee-like edge. Some complex esters in the background.

Mouthfeel is on the light side, with a little more acidic carbonation than I'd like in this sort of beer.

The wonderful balance and drying finish means this is definitely a poundable beer. Unfortunately, it also makes this a somewhat forgettable brew.

3.34/5  rDev -15%

This poured a clear gold with a bit of white head. It smelled very faint, like a bit of barley malt and copper hops. It tasted like barley and caramel malt with copper hops and a bit of sweet yeast. It was watery with some carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this was not terribly different than the Fuller's ESB - good but not great. Its flavor and body were both decent. This was cleaner than the ESB, but very generic.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

12 oz bottle poured in to an imperial pint tulip glass.

Pours a clear golden with a one finger white head.

Smell is biscuity malt with some light floral tones.

Taste is a little hoppy, but mainly biscuity malt. Smooth.

Good full mouthfeel and carbonation.

Very drinkable beer that I envision is a good example of the style.

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Clear light-copper color. Slight head with some carbonation. Slight lacing.

Sweet malty aroma with a slight hop note. Some apple scents too.

Same malty taste up front. A slight aftertaste of some hops.

Goes down smoothly with some tingling on the front of the tongue.

Not a bad pale ale. I think there's some confusion on here with the "Outstanding Pale Ale" and this. I would revisit this beer.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

This beer was poured at approximately 45 degrees Fahrenheit, having been taken out of the refrigerator and allowed to warm for about 10 minutes. Once poured, this it has a beautiful dark amber colour. It just looks delicious - who wouldn't want to enjoy that burnished gold? Immediately after pouring, it had a head of about 3/4 of an inch; this quickly faded to about 1/2″. When taking a deep sniff of the beer, I smelled mostly bitter with a slightly sweet undertone.

On first sip, I immediately noticed the combination of sweet and bitter that fills the mouth in a pleasing way. There's also a coppery minerality beneath it all, preventing the bitterness from overtaking the palate. I noticed a somewhat coffee-like consistency - certainly thicker than water, but not much beyond that. The aftertaste, which probably lasted upwards of a minute, was of weak tea. At this point the head was almost completely gone, with only some surface bubbles remaining - perhaps 1/8″

About four minutes later, I took a deep whiff of the beer. The first scent that came to mind was cold rocks - almost as though I were in a cave deep underground. A bit of chalk also peeked in from time to time. The second swig brought me a few moments of lemon rind taste. The swallow left a velvety texture on the tongue - very pleasing, earning this a 4.0 for mouthfeel on my review.

The next sip, eight minutes later, was taken with very few bubbles on the surface. The head was gone, but enough carbonation remained to allow the velvety feel to coat the mouth. At this point, we can see that there is little in the way of foam adhesion to the side of the glass (I believe this is called "lacing," but I'm not quite sure so I won't use the term just yet).

Overall, this beer was very enjoyable. It's nothing that will make you drive to the store the next day to buy them out of stock, but a very nice everyday beer. The mouthfeel was wonderful, and the taste was refreshing.

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured with little to no head and little apparent carbonation.

Dark golden/light amber color.

Smells very malty with a little noticeable hops.

The taste is fairly subtle but nicely balanced. Some darker tasting malt and a small subtle hop bite in the end. Thicker, slightly slick mouthfeel.

Overall not terribly complex but an easy drinker. This could def. be a session beer. A nice solid beer overall.

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%

I poured this attractive looking 1 pint 0.9 oz bottle into a pint glass. This beer pours an amber color with a frothy off white head that quickly disappears. The smells is sweet and fruity, almost honey like. The taste is malty, mellow and sweet, finishes bitter. The mouthfeel has medium body and medium carbonation. Drinkability is excellent. If the price was not so high I could drink a few of these. Overall this could be my favorite pale ale.

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - this beer has a great color. It's a light amber golden brown color. Crystal clear with nice carbonation bubbles. Leaves a nice solid ring of head.

s - buttery earthy malts with a little bit of grassy hops.

t - biscuit malts, a little orange profile, and a quick earthy hop punch and dissipates to a clean semi dry finish.

m - well carbonated and smooth

d - damn, fullers owns. Every beer I have by these guys is top notch thus far. This beer reminds me of a sam adams boston lager (though obviously in a different class) with a much more interesting hop profile. The bitterness in this beer hits you like most but drops off completely for a clean finish which is different. This is very drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

bought at the local beer shop. can poured into an imperial pint. clear amber clarity and color. thin white head. little lace. looks good.

caramel nose. earthy hops in there. no off odors.

malt sweet taste with good hop bitterness. dry aftertaste.

good carbonation. mid body. i like it. will drink again. gonna try to find it on draught.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz bottle best before Dec 08 served in a pint glass
Bright copper color with a thin head of tiny white bubbles and quite a bit of lace. The smell is buttery caramel and toasted malt with a fair dose of diacetyl. In the background is a bit of English spicy hop. The taste is very bready great grain profile here with caramels and buttery biscuits underneath the grain is a strong hop profile solid bitterness and even a moderate level of hop flavor, great balance. Finish is a bit sweet at first then the hops come through to round everything off and leave the beer a touch dry. The mouthfeel is pretty lively, enough carbonation combined with the sting of the hops makes this feel likes it's jumping over the tongue, the finish may be just a bit too dry, maybe?. This is a really good English pale ale, granted this is a beer that's been around for a while, but it's nice to see some good representatives of this classic style. A good beer all around.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

Smell: I'm never very good at picking out aromas and having a cold didn't help on this one. I do however remember a sweet malty fragrance.

Appearance: Pours a light golden brown color. Not much carbonation. What head there was from the pour quickly dissipated. Afterward some little lacing was noticeable.

Taste: A wonderful mix of malt and hops in what I consider almost a perfect balance. Also a nice fruitiness is present with a little bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: A nice medium bodied beer that becomes rather filling after a few beers. Not too much carbonation to get in the way of the flavor.

Drinkability: I would drink this beer all day if I could and whenever I see it on tap I have a hard time trying something new.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

While pale ales are no longer my favorite style of beer, I certainly get a jolt of nostalgia from drinking them. Really reminds me of many on-tap beers I had in my younger days in England and Wales.

A: Poured from one of the handsome 1pt 0.9fl.oz. bottles. I got a nice frothy near white 1.5 finger head. It's a crystal clear, bronze amber color with some carbonation visible. When the head dissipates, you are left with a nice thin lace and some webbing on the glass. Attractive looking PA.

S: I served it too cold. Note: Do not serve this beer colder than recommended. I was so disappointed until the beer warmed up and I realized what a fool I had been. OK - confessions aside... Crystal malt, a touch of fruit and hops. I also got an almost dimethyl grass type aroma too. There was a buttery smell that made me feel like it would be a creamy taste which I knew would not be the case.

T: Taste goes along with the smell. Well balanced caramel malt and hops. Touch of fruit. People say this a lot but it is true. This beer really does make you think Pale Ale. It is a poster child for sure. Nice strong hop sourness on the back of the throat as an aftertaste.

M: A nice crisp, lightly carbonated beer. Medium bodied.

D: I don't long for the Pale Ale like I used to but if I was to go for one, this would surely be one of them.

4.48/5  rDev +14%

This pours from 16.9oz can a clear medium gold with a 2 finger head of foam. It has lacing and very good head retention.

The smell has nice fruity hop goodness along with a solid sweet malt base. Great nose.

The taste fits the smell to a t! That great combination of English hops and malts brings the hop fruitness and malt sweetness to a very loving crescendo for me. This is one that I could drink all day long!

Great medium mouthfeel and lightly carbonated, it finishes the same way it starts..perfect balance....not over hopped or over malted. Just yummy goodness. I love this stuff!

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Had this on draft at Kinsale Irish Pub in Boston. Served in an imperial pint glass.

Clear copper appearance with cream head that diminished to lacing that remained until the end of the glass.

Smell of floral hops with a hint of malt.

Tastes of classic English pale ale--nice malty backbone and a nice lingering hop bitterness. Good balance between the sweetness and the hoppiness.

Smooth with the right amount of carbonation.

I have had this many times from the bottle and now on tap. An excellent beer that is the standard I compare other English pale ales to. Easy to drink, goes well with lots of foods. Good complexity w/o high ABV.

3.33/5  rDev -15.3%

A- Amber beer with an off-white head; fine infrequent carbonation.

S- Caramel and fruit malt.

T- very slight sweetness in the back; floral, herbal hop; bitter finish reduces to clean

MF- moderate carbonation and a light, clean feel

D- I would have this again, but would not go out of my way; it's a bit thinner than expected

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear amber, between 1 and 2 fingers of head rise; decent retention and some lacing.

S - Simple sweet caramel and biscuit malt, butter, with a dose of spicy and slightly floral hops.

T - Simple, but extremely balanced. A very mild bready sweetness blends seamlessly with the spicy and floral components from the nose. Indistinct, but this stuff isn't meant to be in your face. Finish is slightly bitter and grainy.

M - Medium to light bodied with fairly soft carbonation.

D - Like most of the style, a great session beer. Though this may not jump out at anyone, it's lack of off-flavors and near perfect balance are a testament to craftsmenship.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

$1.79 11.2 oz. bottle from Total Wine in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clear, rich ambery body with a full, frothy, white hear.

Smell: Sweet-smelling, nutty aroma of toffee-coated toasted biscuits with a background note of fruit.

Taste: Sweet, biscuit maltiness with a rising taste of dark, toasted toffee. Slight nuttiness. Pleasant cherry fruitiness perks up midway. Maybe a drop of vanilla. Subtly spicy, lightly earthy bitterness with a mild, mildly cleansing bitterness. Faint drying grassiness near the end. Still, the brew finishes on the sweet side.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A fairly tasty, easy-drinking English treat. Sure, it's something to have pride in and sure, I'd have another (or four)!

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: It had a light tan rocky head and was dark red/orange in color. The head faded fairly fast and the beer left thick lacing.

Smell: The smell of caramel and toffee. The smell was kind of hard to catch but it was very pleasant when I was able to catch it.

Taste: London Pride has a dark and rich malty flavor that is light in hops.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

pours a clean coppery color with a very small head, although it looks as though it has a lot of carbonation.

smells a bit like Grapefruit and a yeasty malt in the finish, small nose of Grape or fig

A bit more Grape than I would expect to come to the tongue. finishes with a slight hop bite and a clean aftertaste.

Mouth is light and crisp, definitely a good session beer without a doubt. Great to go with a dinner or for a casual evening. Not overly impressive but a English Ale no doubt.

3.73/5  rDev -5.1%

I generally love English Pale Ales and Bitters, if for nothing else than how easy-drinking they tend to be. The fact that I had never had a Fuller's London Pride hit me as something of a personal failing when I saw that it was available on my British Airways flights to Vienna. Such a long haul calls for a good session beer!

Poured a light n' bright, effervescently bubbly brown. As the beer settled into its bright brown / amber appearance, I noticed that its head (good retention, only very slight lacing) had the distinction of having a gradation to its appearance, seemingly tan towards the bottom and white on top.

On the nose a detected caramel with hints of raisins. Roasted grains and crisp grassiness rounded out the aroma. Pretty malty but nicely complimented by some noble (I think) hops.

The same could, of course, be said about the taste. It is certainly well balanced, in keeping with good pale ales. There might have been a hint of butter to the taste that I had not originally detected on the nose, but I might also attribute that to the creamy mouthfeel that, I felt, was lacking in carbonation. I understand that this might be par for the course, but I like - and feel like I usually find - just a tad more of a CO2 tingle.

I will have to try this again under better circumstances (on the ground for example). They might have effected its carbonation, but Heineken on a plane usually seems to keep its CO2 pretty well.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: Pours a nice pale yellow/red. Lacing head that coats the glass as you drink it.

Smell: Beautiful English ale aroma of grains, and a little musty yeast.

Taste: Pretty much a standard English Bitter(I know it's listed as an English Pale Ale) flavour profile. Malty character that reminds me of Old Blighty. Bitterness is smooth and leaves no nasty aftertaste. Reminds me of Kilkenny Irish Red, with slightly less caramel.

Mouthfeel: Not as creamy as some English session ales I've enjoyed in the past.

Drinkability: The mouthfeel prevents me from wanting to keep drinking this all day. But as a pint, it stays interesting.

Overall: Solid offering for a mid abv English ale. Getting this is a 4-pack of 500mL cans is quite a treat here in BC.

4.01/5  rDev +2%

A golden hue, with a small head and very little lacing. Glints of orange bronze against the light.

The aroma is full of honey and marmalade malts. There is a backbone of melon fruity aromas aswell. Very nice all together.

A sweet malt kick of honey, buscuity malt, melon and marmalade flavours is well balanced with a nice hoppy bite in the finish.

It's very easy drinking, with a light mouthfeel, but a much nicer, more complex english pale then a lot of other offerings in Australia.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

A - clear amber with a small head
S - caramel malts with a dash of hops...not very strong smelling
T - nice and malty with a faint bit of hops and bitterness on the finish
M - goes down smoothly...not full, but not thin
D - this is great due to its balance and extremely mild bitterness. I could imagine having many pints of this in a sitting.

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%

I had a back to basics night recently where I sampled the beers that first opened my eyes to craft beers and Fuller's London Pride was one of them.

Lightly hoppy but rather pleasing and smooth, London Pride is one of those beers that you can give an AB drinker to try and ease them into craft brews.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a tumbler.

A - Light caramel color, translucent, with a thin head on top. Good lacing

S - Buttery hops with toffee in the background. Not overly aromatic, need to put your nose in the glass

T&M - Very much like the smell. Incredibly smooth caramel and toffee flavor with just a hint of hops, not very bitter at all. Low carbonation makes this slide down and makes the drinkability delightfully good.

A classic English beer and I could easily down 3 or 4 of these without flinching.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Fuller's London Pride from Fuller Smith & Turner PLC