Join our email list →

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC
United Kingdom (England) | website

English Strong Ale | 6.30% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-16-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fuller's 1845 Alström Bros
Reviews: 692 | Hads: 1,081
3.31/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured into a nonic. Nice mahogany color with just a little haziness. Beige two finger head settles to a partial ring and leaves some thin lacing.

Toasty cookie-ish malt aroma with some dark fruits and spice. Kind of faint overall.

For a beer billed as a strong ale, there's really not that much strength in the flavor either. Fresh baked bread and a bit of toffee with a very herbal, tannic hop bitterness, reminiscent of English black tea.

Carbonation is a little high, body is medium. Finish is dry and encourages the next sip. Drinkable but kinda bland.

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%

500ml bottle with "best before" date of 04/aug/10. tasted in early april, 2009. poured into tulip.

clear, dark amber. lots of light tan head, fading to a thin layer. decent but splotchy rings of lace.

aroma: what seems like earthy and leafy hop character comes upfront, with just a trace of citrus. mild apple fruitiness moves into buiscuity center with toffee and caramel, and faint note of roast and also a metallic, flinty whiff.

taste: gentle maltiness, with caramel notes and light apple fruitiness, but all a bit watered down compared to the leafy hops with relatively bold bitterness (for an english beer), accentuated by the phenol/fusel note, plust more metallic notes. just doesn't seem to meld well altogether.

medium body, but phenols crash in again to overemphasize an astringent finish, meanwhile the otherwise mild carbonation becomes overly prickly, almost fizzy.

wha...?

3.34/5  rDev -18.5%

After a string of bad beers and realizing I need some space in my fridge to fit my most recent purchases from the LCBO, I decided that Fuller's usually has good stuff that will be able to break me out of this rut. Got this one from Ludachris, and it has a best before is 28/7/2010

Appearance: Clearly a bottle conditioned beer, as there is a large amount of yeasty sediment. Produced only a finger of had that did lace and retain somewhat. The beer itself is a dark red copper color.

Smell: A very nice dried fruit smell, specifically noticing apricots. Has a good background of malts and a bit of a dry hop smell. Didn't take any warming to come out either.

Taste: Starts with a very rich malt texture that gets quite a bit milder as you drink it that ends with a light dusting of dry hops. It's nice, but not quite as fruity or diverse as I expected it to be.

Mouthfeel: Well the carbonation is quite good and it transitions fairly well but it does leave a little bit too much of a dry sensation for my liking. The aftertaste is alright, but it does linger for a bit too long.

Drinkability: The dry texture really stops me from putting this down and it's not all that refreshing. I mean no gas or bloating issues but it just doesn't seem to do that much for me. It's alright, but it just seems to be missing the mark.

Final Thoughts: All in all, a good beer but I wouldn't say it's exceptional. I certainly appreciated the Fullers ESB a lot more then this. It's worth one try, but I wouldn't go past that.

3.37/5  rDev -17.8%

Picked up a bottle after a buddy of mine had told me this was an easy drinking English Strong Ale. He was not wrong.

A- Brown/orange mixture. Burnt sinna color. Decent sized head. Not much lacing. Carbonaion bubbles looking like fire.

S- Fruits, english tea leaves, tobacco, grains, beer.

T- Carmel and malty sweetness, some hop, yeast/

M- Pleasant and tingly. Overall quite smooth and refreshing.

D- Easy drinking brew. This is smooth as hell and a pleasure to sip.

3.37/5  rDev -17.8%

1 pt. 2.6 fl.oz. Bottle; Best Before 05/OCT/03.
Aroma: A rich dark malt smell but the hops and a touch of spice (clove?) comes through as well.
Appearance: Brownish red, clear and not very dark. Light but persistent head that leaves a lace of tiny bubbles.
Flavor: The dark sweet malt initial taste is rapidly overrun by a horde of hops that camp for the night. The balance is definitely on the hops side. I experienced some buttery esters as well.
Mouthfeel: Touch heavy on the carbonation and not the warmth I got from other Barley Wines. The hops are so strong that I got a bit of astringency as well.
Overall impression: I know this ranks high in the overall for the site but I found this to be enjoyable, but not quite a celebration. Heavy on the hops for my taste given the style. An ESB on steroids? Drinkability also didn't really ramp me up. I'll enjoy this bottle, but won't crave another.

3.37/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured slightly chilled into a delirium tulip deep reddish copper colored

Smell is great, lots of vanilla, oak, cherry, and phenols.

Taste is somewhat bland some bittersweet chocolate/cocoa poweder and wood up front, not much in between, and a nice bitterness at the end, present but not overly powerful.

Mouthfeel is interesting, lively, almost prickly slightly oily texture to it.

I would drink another one of these just to make sure, I wonder if this was a bad bottle or stored improperly or something, I'm not getting an A- average beer here. I would much rather have a sam smith's stingo over this.

3.38/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a dark amber reddish hue. Limited off white head with little lacing.

Pretty much tastes as it smells. This beer has a very sweet malty Chocolaty character (sugar Daddy). Slight bitterness with strong alcohol character. Too much considering it has 6% ABV. Aside from bitterness, almost no hoppiness. Average mouthfeel.

I cant say I'm overly impressed with this beer. I give it a 3.5 for taste because the style describes it as such.

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours maroon and clear with a medium sized lasting beige head. Smell is biscuity, slightly tart malt. Taste is surprisingly hoppy compared to the nose with dark bready and caramel malt flavor to accompany the hops. Slightly full bodied and crisp yet soft carbonation. Pretty balanced and drinkable with a nice mild hop character. Pleasantly surprised.

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

I found this to be a very drinkable beer. It poured a copper gold color and formed a small bubby white head that left trace lace as it subsided. The aroma was of malt and hops. The flavor was of malt and hops and the finish was a touch astrigent, yet bitter. I hope to find other of Fuller's products that hold up as well or better.

3.41/5  rDev -16.8%

The beer pours a nice ruby red color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a weak malty scent that boasts of pale and some crystal malts. It seems dry and a bit breadlike with little hops. The taste is average. It has a very dry and bitter flavor that is bland and stale. It goes down slow and reveals it's elevated abv. in the finish. It has a decent malt palate that consists of pale and crystal malts. There is also English hops in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a decent brew, but nothing special. I don't care for the grain bill or the hop selection. It's one and done for me.

3.41/5  rDev -16.8%

A rich copper color with a nice tan head thats creamy and long lasting with nice lacing makes this look like a great English Ale. The smell is sweet butterscotch, with a creamy tangy sweet taste mainly of caramel and malts. The mouthfeel is spicy & tangy - maybe a little too much and while this is a nice beer, its not one of my favorites because others in the style I enjoy are much more drinkable.

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

The large head is made of fine, yellowish foam that disappears slowly, building a fine, hard crater. The Colour is deep copper red; the liquid is a little hazy.

The smell of this ale is mild, pleasing and a little bit on the sweet side. There are some yeast and lots of malts. There are hints of that special, sour smell that bottle conditioning creates.

The first part of the taste is alcohol, but just for a short moment. Then, a fresh mix of sweet malts and mild hops appears, slowly increasing the bitterness into a dry, long and balanced aftertaste.

The carbon dioxide is conservative with small bubbles.

The taste is complex, yet I found it somewhat avoiding and hard to put my finger on its special character. I have to compare it with Fuller’s ESB, one of my favourite ales. And my conclusion is that 1845 is common ale with some extra alcohol, while ESB is ale with extra everything: More alcohol, more malt, more hops and more grit.

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

This poured into my nonic from the bottle with a whopper of a head. The Mount Ranier of heads ...
My curious sniffing picked up mostly the smell of fruity hops. Not what I expected out of an English ale by a longshot. Pronlonged sniffage reveals mellow carmel malts ... they for some reason remind me of Fat Tire Amber Ale by New Belgium, and the Abbey Ale New Belgium makes as well. There's a strange aftertaste I get with those beers that reminds me of must, mildew or a wet dog. I'm picking that up now as well.

The taste is ever so slightly bitter, followed by caramel, and then that unpleasant musty taste which I dread. A shame because this has more lace to offer than Victoria Secret.
One is certaintly enough for me. I have no desire for another.

3.44/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fuller's 1845 Ale poured an excellent ruby amber with an very nice fluffy head. Smell was of light yeast. The taste I found very complex, but at times it was unpleasant. Caramel, dark fruit, some chocolate. Some crisp hops in the finish. But at times it seemed harsh. Mouthfeel was ok as well as the drinkability. I really wanted to like this beer, because at times it was excellent, challenging and flavorful, but something in the flavor at times that didn't hit me right. I will give this another try because of the notes that I liked in it. This beer left me with more questions than answers.

3.45/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

from notes

A - crisp red bubbly body, white head constituted of large bubbles

S - sweet and dry malts, relatively bland

T - a syrupy sweetness, and fairly dry.

M - thin, and the carbonation is a bit harsh.

D - easy enough to drink, not very interesting or good-tasting

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a good deep mahogany brown with a lovely head. Large bubbels in head, creamy coloured.

Aromas of toffee, caramel, toast.

Taste is a let-down hoppy and dry, not o my preferance of style.

Mouthfeel solid enough.

Overall just too hoppy and dry pour moi for an English Strong Ale. Bring on the malts!

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance: 1845 pours a medium ruby color with mahogany highlights. About 1.5 fingers of off-white head forms. Retention and lacing are decent.

Smell: Caramel, toffee, a bit of fruity presence, and slight biscuity malts. Maybe just a hint of floral hops as well.

Taste: Biscuity and caramel malts, toffee, mild dark fruits, and slight floral hops on the back end. Not bad at all.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is pretty light bodied with quite a bit of carbonation, but it's pretty fine carbonation and drinks pretty smoothly. Overall, this is a fairly solid beer that holds it's own.

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

The bottle over flowed when I opened it! Oh well. What's more is it poured with a weak head that quickly disipated. This is a really special ale I think. It's crazy. So many tastes, sweet malt and heavy hops with wood and bread! I don't really understand how those chemicals like phenols and diacytal and ester taste, but I think these are probably in here, because there are a lot of flavors that I can acount for, that show up in just about every English Ale I taste. The color is almost like some one took ale and poured either blood or transmition fluid in it. Definitely complex, as with most english ales I've tasted, it gets smoother as it warms up. I wouldn't really drink alot of these the way I would other beers, oh wait, yes I would. I can imagine most people drinking this to inebreation. That's not to say it isn't drinkable, but when compared with drinkable beers, it's definitely not as drinkable. Really, pay attention to the recommended 50 degree serving temperature.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

Sampled this fine brew with fellow BAs 3Vandoo and Beersignal, and I can't remember who brought this one so I'll just thank them both!

Appearance: Burnished copper with a clingy salt and pepper head.

Smell: Alcoholic vapors rushed up my nose, they felt peaty at first but mellowed to show a side of oily golding hops.

Taste: Boozy and round, with pale malt character and a crisp bitterness that was short, but the hooch stayed on a while in the aftermath.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

Nice dark red/brown color with good off-white head. Aroma of caramel and hops. Taste is bitter with sweetness in finish. Long bitter aftertaste. Good beer.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

Tall 500ml bottle with a classic white with gold border label that has the Fuller's crest at the top, "1845" in big black letters, and one phrase that every craft beer drinker loves to see on the label, "Bottle Conditioned." Big rectangle back label that has a brief sentence about the beer and another sentence that talks about the brewery. At the bottom of the back label is a best before date of 21/May/09.

Appearance: When poured into a Brooklyn Imperial pint glass, "1845" is a murky brownish color with a small tint of cranberry red. Sitting on top of this beer was a 1 1/2 inch head of fizzy white foam. This head of foam quickly fizzled away, but did mange to leave behind a small white film, foamy rings along the edge, and a fair amount of spots of white lace around the glass.

The aroma to this English Strong Ale was nice and toasted with biscuit malts, dried juicy fruits, dried floral hops, and ended with a subtle hint of English toffee. Although there weren't that many aromas in the beer, the overall toasted aspect of this beer was good enough for me.

This dry English Ale starts right off the bat by being hoppy with crispy floral hops, a hint of yeast, and a subtle touch of tart grapefruit. After the grapefruit was through, the taste then gets lightly malty with toasted biscuit malts, dried juicy fruits, and a tiny splash of English toffee. Even though it was a tad bit more hoppy than malty, it was still a well balanced English Ale.

It was a light bodied beer with a decent sized aftertaste of yeast, dried juicy fruits, toasted biscuit malts, and a few cripsy floral hops here and there. The yeast and dried fruits were the only ones who stuck around for a minute or two.

I'm usually not too keen on true English beers, but I enjoyed this one. It wasn't too dry, hoppy, or malty. It had all the right levels for each and every one of them. I would probably go back to this one again if I was ever in the mood for an English Strong Ale.

3.51/5  rDev -14.4%

16.9 oz bottle, best before 20 june 06 printed on the label.

pours burnt orange, with a thick, long lasting, two finger head. Sticky rings of lace are left behind.

aromas of raisins, caramel, coffee and toast. Some yeastiness also.

Dark fruit flavors, raisin, prune with some orange and spice in the finish.

3.51/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Fuller's 1845.

I've only had a handful of beers outta these lovely Brits but only because I don't see many of them around here. This is my introduction to the English style of Strong Ale and I trust in these guys to lead me correctly. No big intro here, let's drink it.

Look - From an odd shaped bomber hard poured into a pint glass. This brew pours a deep,deeeeeeeep amber/ruby/ garnet hue with an initial two finger off white head that is exceptionally thick and pilowy in consistency. Depth of the coloration ensures only a faint amount of light can penetrate. The carbonation appears to be about moderate. Head leaves immediate pillowy stick amongst a slow descent into the swill. Head retained well throughout the drink and left a ton if sticky lace.

Smell - The bottle is more than correct when it states there will be notes of fruit cake. That is basically the entirety of the nose, along with some nutty factors as well. No point in going on a drivel here, it smells how the bottle says it will smell. However, now that the beer has warmed there is a nice dark baked bread aspect as well.

Taste - The flavor profile on this beer is almost dubbel like minus the HUGE cherry flavor I tend to get from those beer. Dark baked bread though with a bit of the cherry though it doesn't dominate. Minimal hop level. Sweetness is on the lower end of medium. Not a massive profile, but it is pleasant.

Feel - The feel on this brew is very creamy due to the retention and thickness of the remaining pillow of froth, however the overall body is pretty watery with quite a bit or carbonation. Flavors turn sweeter as it sits. Swallows quite sweet with dominating fruit cake.

Overall - This was an alright beer but to be quite honest my overall enjoyment of it was about average. Was a lot like a toned down dubbel and that isn't a style I particularly care for. I guess it would be nice on a cool fall night around a fire, but too little for the dead of Winter up North. I doubt I'd buy again, but would drink it if handed to me. Completely different than the American counterparts..

3.52/5  rDev -14.1%

Brownish amber, low carbonation provides almost no head. Very malty aroma totally dominates the old hops hints. Fruity (plums, grapes), toasted bread and roasted nuts maltiness. Notes of cake, oak, cloves, nutmeg... Surprisingly has a moderate acid bite that hurts a bit the roundness and development of the deep malt flavors. Slight smoke in the finish. Medium to full bodied, low carbonation. This is not as well elaborated as the vintages in terms of flavor balance and appears a bit disappointing to me.

3.52/5  rDev -14.1%

1 pint, 0.9 oz. bottle, poured into an imperial pint glass.

Appearance: A clear mahogany with a thin, bubbly head, like a soda.

Smell: A sweet, plum aroma, almost like a brandy. Similar to their Vintage Ale, actually.

Taste and mouthfeel: Alcohol is right up front, harsh, almost completely overwhelming the sweetness underneath. Softens a bit as the beer warms. Mildly creamy back that becomes more noticeable in the finish. Medium mouthfeel with lively carbonation.

Drinkability: Hard to see drinking more than one in a sitting.

Notes: There was just something a little unbalanced with this one; definitely let this warm up significantly. Maybe I'll give it another try sometime.

Fuller's 1845 from Fuller Smith & Turner PLC