2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fuller's 1845 - Fuller Smith & Turner PLC

Fuller's 1845Fuller's 1845

Fuller Smith & Turner PLC visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Strong Ale |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-16-2000)
View: Beers (35) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fuller's 1845 Alström Bros
Ratings: 906 | Reviews: 664 | Show All Ratings:
keytown

Kentucky

A - Dark amber color with 1/2" tan head & little lacing

S - Dark fruits, cinnamon & bread

T - Taste of cinnamon & dark fruits on the first sip, with a dry hoppy finish

M - Creamy & smooth with dry finish. Medium carbonation

D - Good drinkable beer at a reasonable price

02-28-2010 22:54:42 | More by keytown
patto1ro

Netherlands

4.85/5  rDev +18%

This beer is packed with biscuity malt flavours, so typical of English ales. Yet these never totally overpower the hop presence, which lurks around on the palate before jumping out in the finish. The two main themes are bulked out with a multitude of dark fruit flavours.

It scores well on every criterium: complex, balanced, authentic.

Note that this beer is NOT a Strong Ale. It's a classic 19th century Pale Ale. I don't know why everyone gets so confused. The brewery clearly said that they were trying to recreate a Pale Ale from 1845. I think they did a wonderful job.

10-09-2005 10:47:06 | More by patto1ro
krantul

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Wow! I want to second the motion in an earlier review: this is probably the best bottle-conditioned beer I've had... at least in recent memory.

Appearance: An amber bottle (yay!) prevents this beer from being lightstruck. Deep brown and fairly clear, poured a remarkably persistent head two inches thick, almost like Coca-Cola foam (okay, not an entirely appealing comparison, but it's what first sprung to mind).

Smell: Not too much nose, a bit sweet-smelling, a little whiff of yeast, nothing overwhelming.

Taste: Liquid awesome. Balance is the strength of this beer. It has all of the lovely characteristics of a good Fuller's English ale, enhanced by bottle conditioning. The flavors (sweet, malty, a little butterscotch) seriously benefit from the moderate zest of yeastiness, resulting in a tasty, interesting brew.

Mouthfeel: Natural carbonation lends a pretty distinct mouthfeel. A bit more fizz than a cask-conditioned beer would probably have, but still feels pretty smooth.

Drinkability: Eminently drinkable. Personally, I consider a smooth English bitter to be the benchmark of drinkability, and Fuller's knows something about that. Although it's a "strong" ale, the balance is considerable; there's no unpleasant flavors, no excessive yeastiness, and no overcarbonation to create any of the unpleasant tanginess that can creep in bottle-confditioned beers. The higher alcohol content had no impact on this beer's drinkability.

06-07-2006 15:21:23 | More by krantul
robnews

New Brunswick (Canada)

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured into my Stella chalice.

Great dark red orange color with nice initial foam head quickly receding to thin lace.

Amazing fruity molasses smell.

Taste is very rich malt and good carbonation. Caramel flavor throughout. Bittery aftertaste but quite drinkable. Higher alcohol is barely noticable.

Definitely one of my favorite Fullers.

11-06-2010 00:08:06 | More by robnews
Slats

Idaho

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Looks: Dark coppery color. Nice sticky lace. Clean and clear when held up to the light.

Smell: Sweet malty smell with a fruity prune like background.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sweet malts are right there but balanced with some bitter. Alcohol warms to reveal the prune flavor (I grabed a box of prunes to make sure I wasn't crazy). Hop bite throughout. I love the flavors but the bitterness is a bit taxing in this brew.

Drinkability: Not bad but I wouldn't be able to do more than one in a sitting.

Overall decent but I wouldn't seek it out.

05-22-2007 01:20:45 | More by Slats
jessecarr

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

I am a big Fullers fan. I had a hand pumped ESB while in London a few years back, and I've always had some nearby since then.

This 1845 is my favorite of the Fullers beers in the US. It is better, even, than the Vintage Ale.

Upon cracking the 1.9l bottle, I poured into a pint class and enjoyed the crisp citrus and hop aroma. The first sip immediately revealed the classic English Ale done perfectly--a hint of bitter hops at the end, preceded by a lovely and rich malty, spice-infused palate.

I loved the aftertaste as well. The impact lingers on the tongue for quite some time. You can enjoy this bottle for a decent amount of time, and the bottle can't be big enough--I want more right now even as I type.

The beer keeps some lacing and has a deep amber color with a bit of cloudiness. I'm a big fan of this style of ale, and I think Fullers pulls it off better than most.

04-01-2008 03:21:21 | More by jessecarr
LittleBug31

Wisconsin

3.68/5  rDev -10.5%

A: An interesting caramel brown. The head is huge! Just as tall as the liquid itself!

S: Very interesting smell. Reminds me of buttery cinnamon-raisin bread with toasty sugar. Spiced apple cider.

T: Cinnamon raisin bread is very evident in the taste as well. A light spiciness that mixes with apples and fruit.

M: Thick and creamy. Smooth with tingly carbonation.

D: Light and bubbly. Easily enjoyed.

01-14-2010 02:29:31 | More by LittleBug31
kcbearkat

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

First review on this site!

A: Poured a nice dark caramel color into Real Ale pint. Amber in color with slight particulate floating in the glass before settling.

S: Sweet aroma, slightly boozy smell for only 6%

T: Sweet, syrupy, with a light hop finish. There's also a slight alcohol kick. Really surprising considering the relatively moderate ABV.

M: Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation and a smooth finish.

O: I love this style and this is a great example. A tasty beer that I always have around.

Cheers!

07-13-2011 01:35:29 | More by kcbearkat
Jangles

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a handsome bottle with a vintage label into an Imperial pint glass (again, what else, really?).

A: Deep amber, almost coppery. Impressive three-finger head that that I wanted to bury my face in. It remained for days.

S: Wonderfully balanced and complex, with notes like a Puccini opera.

T: I'm an ale and stout drinker, and love selections from the British Isles, but this one crosses all geographic boundaries. If Christ returns, he will undoubtedly pour himself one of these.

M: Majestic, through and through.

D: Quite drinkable, but not sessionable. I savor these, maybe after enjoying a London Pride or an ESB.

The pleasure I derive from one of these gems is an excellent example of the holistic attitude I take when enjoying a beer. All of my senses come into play, right down to the heft of a quality bottle whilst I pour. Cheers!

11-15-2008 09:18:33 | More by Jangles
Taverner420

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours an clear amber with some white frothy head. No floaties, despite being bottle conditioned. Flavor is English malt, with notes of leather, mesquite, hickory and tannins. The nose is less hoppy and more dry malty. It finishes on a dry, biscuity notes.

11-24-2008 23:34:56 | More by Taverner420
markbatonrouge

Louisiana

2.5/5  rDev -39.2%

Did I have a bad batch? Past its prime? Not aged enough? I don't know, but, unlike many of the reviews here, this beer not only did not impress, but I really didn't like it very much at all....

It poured dark golden, minimum head, no lacing.

The aroma was disappointing, basically non-existent at first, with a tiny sour background that almost made it interesting. As it warmed a bit, some maltiness came out -- I would not say it ever got to a carmel aroma -- and really even the slight maltiness wasn't enough to make it appealing.

The taste is what really disappointed me. The alcohol his first, then the bitterness. And, that was about all there was to the flavor of this beer. Their use of bittering hops is good, but then this isn't supposed to be a west-coast IPA. And bitterness without good maltiness or carmels or flavoring hops to balance it out, well, it's just bitter. As it warmed, a touch of maltiness came out, but really very little. Overall, the flavor was marked almost exclusively by alcohol and bitterness. I was glad to finish it and move onto something else.

03-16-2010 14:55:18 | More by markbatonrouge
pauljmccain

Missouri

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

500mL into glass.

A- Nice malty color, reddish brown. The head is a very particular cream-looking composition. Looks very nice.

S- Smells good, malty as expected, very subdued fruit scents.

T- Very nice taste for a strong ale. Has a slight bite to it, but that's to be expected. A bit too sweet for me though, could do with a little bit less.

M- Well carbonated, could do with slightly more though to lift that sweetness a little. Sits well otherwise.

D- A very good example of the style, and overall a great beer. A bit heavy, but I'd have another.

06-15-2011 23:33:48 | More by pauljmccain
tylerzander

Arizona

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - pours a pretty ruby/garnet color with decent clarity and a bit of haze; one finger small-bubbled pillowy head with excellent retention - I think the head actually increases in volume as it sits in the glass

S - distinctive, delicious aromas present as soon as the bottle is opened: raisin and licorice and caramelized sugar with a little ethanol sweetness; a little twist of vegetal/mushroomy hops at the end that may be more flatteringly be described as earthy

T - a slight roastiness and that earthy hop bitterness up front with a smooth finish of sweet plums and caramel

M - a little prickly and a little more carbonated than I anticipated for a real ale in a bottle, but taking a sip through the dense foam head to reach the liquid below is a smooth operation from beginning to end and not a heavy feel despite the maltiness

D - drinkable to the extreme, I wish I knew a bar closeby that had this on draft, as I would be a frequent repeat customer there

03-14-2013 00:36:37 | More by tylerzander
BogBoyJD

Ireland

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this one from a 500ml bottle. Poured into Brewdog pint glass.

Thick 2-3 finger head, dense. Almost lIke a chocolate milkshake. Beautiful red color. I just dig in , can t wait. Head fades to perfect lacing. Never leaves

Lots of caramel on the nose. Hints of brandy. Dark charred fruits. Goes well!

Creamy, biscuity notes, and the burnt fruit. There's a slight bit of bitterness. More rounded than Brakspear. Not overly boozy.

Not really thick. Body is as it should be. Though nothing stands out here.

Overall Fullers brews never disappoint, they are good solid beers. I imagine that they represent what beer was like back in the day, so not to sound corny but it s like a brief view into the history of English brewing. The fact that they are so well received in current times says it all.

08-07-2012 20:53:16 | More by BogBoyJD
kylers

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Dark copper brown maybe you could call it ruby. A beautiful hue I don't often see in a beer. Very enticing just to look at. Thick white head that laced very nicely.

S: Hard to pinpoint, but definitely not a strong hop presence. Malts, toasted bread, a bit of alcohol and a slight tinge of bananas. Dried fruit maybe.

T/M: Strong alcohol presence, biscuits dancing on the tip of your tongue, crisp yet chewy, I guess that means the carbonation was well done. When cold initially it was smooth as velvet.

D: Best when cold as the alcohol somehow rears its head when warm, started chugging it immediately and then realized I needed to let it breath a bit. Easy to drink as it wasn't very assertive in any one category. Well balanced.

11-18-2010 03:28:58 | More by kylers
MikeThompson

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a fantastic beer. If you see it you should buy it immediately. I got this from the Willows in Menlo Park.

Poured a dark amber, beautiful appearance in my Samuel Smith pint glass.

Smell was malty and sweet, with a slightly alcoholic note. Fruits dominate much of the flavor.

Taste was amazing. Malty with a great raisin finish. The hops are strong enough to finish cleanly but still leave a great fruitiness. This beer is very complex, with a strong and sweet entrance, followed by a perfectly bitter exit.

Mouthfeel was supple and bottle-conditioned.

I can't recommend this beer enough.

01-21-2011 06:11:40 | More by MikeThompson
SB1221

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

A: 3-finger head that takes a couple minutes to subside, a deep copper red/brown in color and clear

S; apple/pear esters at first followed by substantial malt profile

T: Roasted malts with a faint aftertaste of noble, earthy hops

M: Carbonation is Right on point: I really enjoy the way they bottle carb'ed this one. It feels really smooth on the tongue with a slight hint of alcohol

D: A very enjoyable drink. Full of flavor: Would definitely drink again

08-02-2010 01:08:02 | More by SB1221
hseritt

Georgia

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured in a regular lager-style glass from the approximately 20oz. bottle. I noticed the head was slightly lacking but honestly that is usually one of the least things I look for. I got close to a 1/2" of a very tan head. The lacing though remained perfect throughout the drink. The color could be described best as a hearty and rich amber. Not too dark but definitely not a lighter color.

The smell was outstanding! Could smell chocolate/coffee and dark roasted malts -- the smell was pleasant but not overwhelming. Smells were as good as a fine grind could be!

The taste was every bit as good as the smell. It reminds you of a very good medium stout but with very little bitterness. The alcohol content is the 6% range but never overpowers and seems to add to the flavor actually.

The feel of 1845 has a medium thickness and very wonderful to swish around.

I would gladly recommend this to any ale enthusiast without reservation. If I come across this in a pub, you can bet I will buy at least 2 pints -- if not, then for a full night of drinking! Though some may find this to be slightly heavy, I have no doubt it would make for a very good session.

01-30-2007 23:40:37 | More by hseritt
timus1119

Arizona

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

poured into westmalle trappist glass,this bottle conditioned english strong ale astounded me,dark roasted malts,dark fruits,nice hop finish,excellent beer in every way,i thoroughly enjoyed this beer,reminded me of a trappist brew,well done fullers,CHEERS!!!

05-29-2011 00:29:43 | More by timus1119
CarbonBased

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

My first review so bare with me.

I recieved this as an early Christmas present and it turned out to be a wonderful surprise. During my short beer odyssey (I started about six months ago), I have strayed away from most beers from the UK. This was my first foray into an English Strong Ale and I have to say I am quite smitten now.

The bottle was a little over a pint in volume. My glassware selection is a little limited, so I went with my standard bar glass. I served it at approximately 50 deg F. The beer is bottle conditioned and this was quite evident as I poured it. Very sediment laden dark brown body (but not as dark as a stout) and a decent sized medium brown head. The head lasted a little longer than other beers.

The beer had a malty smell (I don't know how to identify types yet) with a bit of ester.

As far as taste and mouthfeel go, I was really impressed. There is a really rich malt flavor from start to finish, but it isn't overly sweet. The malt reminds me of a milder barley wine. There is some hops towards the end, but not very much. Still the taste feels balanced.

This was a beer you could really enjoy moving around your mouth; the mouthfeel to it was really the highlight of this beer.

As far as drinkability goes, I certainly was left wanting another, although it was definitely something to be sipped on given the higher alcohol content. Besides, it is so fun to savor and roll around on your tongue that you wouldn't want to rush through it.

12-21-2005 19:31:44 | More by CarbonBased
Ardubya

Oregon

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

as good a real ale as one could expect. if availability wasn't an issue i´d have for me breakfast. sweet and round to start with roasted cocoa up high. finishes dry. at least that's how i remember it. lovely! in my town of ashland, or- this is about as good as it gets for this category. really, i want this beer as a staple in diet

11-15-2008 09:49:40 | More by Ardubya
aktormedic

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

On the nose, orange peel and caramel. In the mouth, the sweetness is quickly replaced by a lingering bitterness at the sides of the tongue and in the back of the throat. The finish is long and sustained bitterness, in a campari or raw cocoa kind of way...

Its a nice beer, the alcohol is definitely there, and carries some of the flavor and mouthfeel farther than they may have gone otherwise.

04-30-2009 02:35:16 | More by aktormedic
Plugwaster

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%

A nice beer, with good color and quite a bit of bitterness. Flat without a lot of head, and what head there was dissipated quickly. Caramel notes, as well as some fruit and herbal notes, not a lot of hop. A bit alcoholic, but not excessive considering this beer is 6.3% ABV.

07-17-2012 08:59:02 | More by Plugwaster