Leinenkugel's Red - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 812 | Reviews: 312
2.43/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very plain. There's bready Malts detected and definitely a reddish hue to it but just very ordinary. Not a fan

3.74/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

this beer is way better on draft then in a bottle

4.21/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I like this because it is different….and like others have said, a nice change-up from hop bombs. I think it is much better on tap, but the bottles are available and I like it.

for me, it is the taste that I like, stronger than a usual American Lager, but not bitter. I prefer it colder than recommended, but that is my way.

Hard to find down south, so that probably causes me to rate it higher than some. Not a true micro or artisan beer, but a decent attempt by a large brewery to appeal to a different taste.

3.37/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A pretty solid, but basic red from Leinenkugel's

3.01/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Sampled on 12/27/13 with Arithmeticus
Appearance: The color reddish amber color with decent lacing
Smell: metallic/tinny
Taste: bitter, hops, metallic taste, lingering bitterness, kind of Czech Pilsner tasting
Mouthfeel: light with decent carbonation
Overall: It's OK- not sure we'd have it again.

3.4/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Here I am at the Milwaukee airport thinking, yeah Leinie's Red...been there done that... Turns out that no, I have never reviewed this beer and here I am having it on tap in its home state. Pours out to nice head that falls down and pale reddish amber hue. Aroma is mild, sweet malt and grassy hops. Flavors is balanced and refreshing, although a bit weak. Mouthfeel is light. overall a decent quaff when burned out on hop bombs.

4.15/5  rDev +33.4%

I may rate this higher than others but that's ok by me. its my lawnmowing, honey do list, football watching beer of choice.
chill it cold and enjoy. not your average lager as it has a bit of a malt backbone with a hop tingle at the end. nice ruby red color . try it as cold as you can.

4.12/5  rDev +32.5%

To start, I'm going to say that I love Leinenkugel beer. All of them, whether it's Creamy Dark or Summer Shandy, there isn't much wrong I can find wrong with them. Leinenkugel Red is no exception. My only complaint is that I wish it had a little more head when poured. This beer is refreshing and it's aroma and taste are superb. If you are a fan of Red's, try this out!

4.01/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Finally found a six pack of this here in OK. Being from WI, I had to snatch this up for a little reminiscing...

Of course it poured out well with a half-inch cream head and a ruby-orange color. This beers taste is well balanced with no one characteristic that shines through. That's why it's such a great beer. Extremely drinkable but hey I'm biased here what can I say.

3.46/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a reddish, copper color with a decent fluffy head. The aroma is slightly malty with a slight bit of spices. The taste is fair with a decent malt and spice flavor that you would expect from a red lager. Drinks pretty decent with a likable texture and flavorful finish.

3.86/5  rDev +24.1%

This beer holds a special place in my heart. It was my gateway beer to microbrews and craft beers. Back when I was drinking MGD, Red Dog, Icehouse and other ordinary beers, this one was my first "chance" taken on something off the path. Applebee's had it on tap and I watched a server carry one by in a "Brewtus" glass. I said to myself, " I must have one of those". So I did and I enjoyed it. It became sort of an after work tradition and soon after I tried Warsteiner and Guinness and the rest is history. Can't remember the last time I had an MGD. Do they still make it? Anyway, about the beer....smooth...red....nice beer that deserves to be tasted. I confess that I haven't had one in a long time. I can't find it anymore around here. What happened to it? Wish I could find it. I would get a 6 pack or two of it. If it's in your area, try it.

4.87/5  rDev +56.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my facorites that I have tried from Leines thus far. The small was very pleasant, while the taste was even better. I was given a bottle of this on accident while at a restaurant. I am very happy about the mixup or I would have never tried this beer. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good red beer.

2.73/5  rDev -12.2%

12 oz. bottle, served into a Boulevard tulip. Part of the Leinenkugel's Autumn sampler pack which I got for $5.99. Bottle says to enjoy by December 31, 2012 so I'm a little late but I hardly think it matters much in this case.

A - Pours a dark ruby orange color with steady bubbles rushing to the top. Non-aggressive pour yielded no head really. This is clearly the most attractive looking beer in the package so far.

S - Again, the smell of malt and dust are the only smells available. As the beer warms, I'd dare say some kind of dark fruit sweetness creeps out. Although, there isn't a whole lot of action happening here.

T - Roasted caramelized malts permeate your tastebuds, and even though it doesn't feel quite as genuine as it should, this is still probably the most well-balanced beer to be had out of the autumn sampler.

M - Mouth is on the heavier side than Leinenkugel's typical watered down lemonade beers. No real flavor was there in the first place though, so nothing lingers around.

Overall, for a "lager" this beer passes off nicely, but as for being a "red" beer I don't know how well it would pass. Very carbonated though, like the rest of Leinenkugel's mass-produced trill. It has a moderate 4.90% abv, and it isn't terrible, so I would use this beer to introduce your friends to the realm of beers other than Miller Lite or Bud Lite. However, if you're looking for a unique craft beer experience, look elsewhere.

Leinenkugel's Red Lager ---2.5/5

3.97/5  rDev +27.7%

Just the right hops. Too many craft beer snobs have to have over hopped beer that leaves a horrible taste when you belch. I agree that the head dies too soon. Otherwise this reminds me a bit of the cold fermented ales (Alt Biers) served only in Dusseldorf. Clean taste. Good mouth. Great beer.

2.91/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Pours a medium amber red color with a thin white head that disappears quickly and leaves next to no lace.

S: A small biscuity malt aroma with a hint of noble style hops bitterness. The smell is far too faint to be enjoyable.

T: A muted caramel malt with some grass and orange from the hops balance it out.

M: Light-bodied, with a firm crisp carbonation that ultimately has a thin, watery mouth feel

O: NOTHING stands out about this beer. I really wanted to rate it lower but it really is just an "average" forgettable beer.

2.4/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- One finger cream-colored head. Low retention. Soapy lacing. Copper color with a very high clarity. Not very impressive looking.

S- Grassy, some light yeast, thin malts. Little bit of spicy hops. Meh.

T- Warm malts, some nuttiness, spicy hops. Thin and watery flavor overall. Pleasant and drinkable.

M- Creamy and marshmallowy with biting carbonation.

O- Good session beer. That's about the best thing to say about it.

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Amber-red pour. One-finger white head. Nice.

S - Kinda absent, really. Barley, malt, almost cedar. None very strong.

T - A lot like the smells. Some malt, fruit, a little alcohol even, with breadiness but not on the wheat side.

M - Pretty balanced, moderate but dry.

O - Pretty good. As someone else said, it could serve as a "gateway" to other craft beers. Drinkable.

2.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Not too much going on here. Basic and plain, actually has a pretty nice amber color, but after that pretty straight forward plain. Aromas of very slight spicy fruit, and that is being nice. taste is on the boring side for me, I expect more from a craft beer.

2.8/5  rDev -10%

Red pours a slightly dark golden color, with very small head. There wasn't much of an aroma at all. The taste was rather malty, and yeasty, no other flavors came through. Rather light in taste, no hops whats so ever, and watery. Overall this isn't a horrible beer, but their isn't much here, but it doesn't have a bad taste.

3.16/5  rDev +1.6%

My first review, and my second Vienna Lager.

A - Leaves a thin head which faded quickly. Cloudy, dark brown, not quite as red as it appears on the bottle label but it's actually pretty close. Not much carbonation.

S - Not a very strong smell, just a hint of malted chocolate.

T - Similar to the smell, a light malted chocolate flavor. Hardly any hops flavor here, I didn't taste any bitterness at all.

M - Crisp and refreshing, medium-bodied with a mildly sweet aftertaste. This would be great after coming back indoors on a hot day.

O - The smell and the taste didn't leap out and grab me, but overall I'd say it's a refreshing beer that'd be great for rejuvenating on a hot day. I'd drink it again, and I'll likely buy some more.

2.95/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Pours a nice deep amber color with two fingers worth of head that dissipates into a nice puffy pillow of head.

S: Very aromatic. Nice maltyness on the nose. Caramel with some apple tartness with a hint of pear and light breadyness. Very nice flavors here.

T: Bready biscuit feel is apparent right from the get go. Some of that light tart comes thru with some floral hops and light bitterness follows. Left with some alchol flavoring and dryness on the palette at the end.

M: Light carbonation, but if a creamy feeling on the tongue followed up with a dryness from the alcohol.

O: Slightly disappointed with this one. Comes off at the start with the biscuit dryness and then heads to bitterness from the hops and then a dry alcohol feeling. Not much flavor that i thought i'd have after smelling the nice aromas. Would like to try on tap to compare.

3.1/5  rDev -0.3%

Last bottle to review from the spring variety pack. Date on bottle is June 4 2012.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Served at 46º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) A medium crisp carbonated head of a creamy beige color with an average retention smooths out as it settles. Little lacing to be found. Body color is a pale red, more appropriately a deep orange that glows even more orange when held to the light. Carbonation is sparse but lively. Appearance has never been Leinenkugel's winning statistic, but this one fares better than most, even settling in the "average" category for me in terms of appearance, based on a slightly elevated head quality and a decent body color, although looking thin in substance. 3

(Smell) Aroma has a sharp tart caramel apple tone to it, a bit fruitier than I'd have suspected. Hops are indiscernible and alcohol tones are mild. Malt body is thin and the sweetness just isn't enough to counteract the tart bitterness of the fruit tones. I don't find the aroma offensive in particular but I am unsure if whether the questionable astringencies are desirable or not in this particular beer. Potency is mild-medium. All ends could improve a good deal but the smell isn't all that unpleasant. 3

(Taste) A bit maltier in the mouth but still not quite enough, coming through as a tad thin and watery in flavor. Bitterness prevails in a bold tart form, dominating the finish. Although the "sour apple" flavor in the bitterness doesn't carry through as much to this point as I had discerned in the nose, whether that is a quality desirable to the drinker is best left a subjective question. Finish is decidedly dry from the bitterness with a touch of light alcohol astringencies with the distinct tartness. The flavors don't quite fail in this beer, but some don't quite gel, and most are too undeveloped to compliment the brew. I think that the best improvements will be with a bolder caramel and german pale malt profile to balance out the tart bitterness of the remainder of the brew, otherwise drinkability for many remains in question. 3

(Mouthfeel) Largely crisp carbonation really only manages to accelerate the tart bitterness of the flavor and intensify the already dry texture of the finish. I feel like my tongue is being stung; the carbonation is way too concentrated. Pairing a smoother texture with a bolder body should result in a more balanced and highly drinkable beer. Body is light, admittedly too much so. Alcohol presence is also light, but with an ABV below 5% we should hope so. There's some tweaking to be done with the mouthfeel but not before the flavors that make up the taste are altered as well. 3

(Overall) Here's another very average brew by Leinenkugel. My biggest criticisms are the bold tart bitterness without a pairing malt body which makes the flavor thin and watery. The astringencies and harsh carbonation drag down drinkability significantly, making this hard to be a "lawnmower beer" candidate. Flavors are thin and underdeveloped; if Leinenkugel were going for a bitter apple profile in this beer, I sure wish they would have made it so! As always, appearance is so-so with this beer as much as it is with the remainder of the Leinenkugel lineup. Therefore, I would be no more hesitant to recommend this beer over the remaining options by Leinenkugel but many should have a love/hate affair with the way this beer comes off to them, but I could expect a few who are looking for a tart low gravity beer to enjoy this one. 3.5

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company's
Red Lager
3.1/5.00

2.92/5  rDev -6.1%

Reddish amber/copper, this has a medium pale tan head soon shrinking to very thin ring, almost nothing.

Aroma is light but nice toasty/caramelly barley & bread, hints of apple & lemon-lime soda pop.

Taste is light but pleasant caramelly toasty barley, light vaguely peppery- woody-grassy hop bitterness. It’s not great, it's thin, simple, and rather vague, but it’s reasonably good, goes well with chicken, and has just enough hop and malt, sweetness & bitterness, and overall depth to keep to somewhat enjoyable.

3.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a clear reddish-orange with a thin tan head. Smells of some brown sugar and a hint of cooked corn. Taste is initially some toffee sweetness, followed by a bready middle, and a slightly tart, earthy finish. Average mouthfeel. Overall an average beer.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Bright copper in color, with a rather short head of off-white foam.
Aroma-Faint toasted malt.
Taste-Toasted malt, faint caramel note, thin mouthfeel. Pretty average overall. A step above macros and could be a "gateway" beer towards craft beer in general.

to view more.