Leinenkugel's Red - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

poor

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Red Alström Bros

dswion, Oct 26, 2012

KC9LDB, Nov 21, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +56.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my facorites that I have tried from Leines thus far. The small was very pleasant, while the taste was even better. I was given a bottle of this on accident while at a restaurant. I am very happy about the mixup or I would have never tried this beer. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good red beer.

RyanLaCount03, Feb 20, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +47.3%

A great beer. Looks good. Not too much head. Smell of strong, but pleasant hops. Taste is strong, but not too strong but it keeps you coming back for more beer. Mouthful is okay could be better. Drinkability goes along with taste. The better this better taste the more you feel like to drink and the more that you will drink

yuenglingfan101, Aug 04, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +46.3%

Lienie's red does not give much of a show in the head department but damn, that is one pretty-colored beer. It is crystal clear, slightly effervescent, and a very striking orange/ red/ copper color. The nose is mostly fresh grain with berry notes and faint hop.

This is a crisp beer that starts off slightly bitter and mellows into creamy vienna malt goodness with a nice toasty undertone. There is a very soft wisp of hop in the finish. This is an extremely soft, smooth, and balanced beer. This is probably the best Vienna Lager I have had, althought I'd have to put it up against Negra to see for sure.

JudgeRoughneck, Jan 21, 2007

yooper920, Feb 01, 2012

jcmittag, Sep 09, 2012

KellyScottMad, Sep 02, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +39.9%

This is what I figure Budweiser should taste like but doesn't. I was back to my original happy hour grounds in Detroit last month and savored Leinenkugel for three weeks. It is not available in my current hometown of San Diego; Red Trolley there is similar tasting. Strangely enough, I learned that Red Trolley is brewed in Wisconsin where Leinenkugel is from and trucked to Calif.

AlexisDetroit, Dec 24, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +37.6%

Leinie's Red. Oh man. This beer gets the credit for introducing me to the American Craft Brew scene. Man, this is one freakin' tastey beer.
Oh, sure, the naysayers will complain that it isn't the best of the style, and, to be sure it isn't. However, at the price it is offered, WOW, what a freakin' beer.
This beer will always have a place in my fridge.
It smells nicely of toasty malts. The taste essentially follows the nose with just a pinch of hops and the end to give a nice clean finish.
A simple beer. but man, what a good tasting one.

shbobdb, Feb 25, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +37.6%

The beer poured a rich amber with a nice tan head, The presentation left you saying now that's what a beer should look like. The aroma was of sweet malt. The taste was big malt taste with just the right hop finish. The feel was medium and creamy. I happened to find myself in a Bennigan's in Elgin, IL and looking through the taps I saw this one. Being the only beer I hadn't heard of I had to taste it. I had gone through two before I knew it. I had to think long and hard before getting a Hacker-Pschorr HW for the finale. I was quite impressed and can't wait to get back and sample this fine beer again.

claytri, Jun 12, 2005

NIURicky, Aug 14, 2014

NHOKNYCKC, May 26, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Back when I lived in Wisconsin, this was my old standby beer. It's difficult to find on the East Coast, as distribution is poor, and the abomination known as Sunset Wheat (second only to the BerryWeis in Leine's disappointments) crowds Lenie's far superior beers off the shelves and taps.

Appearance: Excellent color. The caramel malts are almost shining, but too many were probably used as the head retention suffers.

Smell: Good malty smell, but a bit underwhelming.

Taste: Excellent malty flavor. The hops are somewhat faint, but they're present due to the lack of an aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Average mouthfeel, not too carbonated. The low/medium hoppiness of this beer leads to a lack of palate cleansing and the beer loses something over a session.

Drinkability: Excellent. This beer can go with almost anything and is enjoyable pretty much all the time. Dinner, a ballgame, or a nice long bar session at the end of the week. This is what a blue-collar Wisconsin beer should be (not the plagues of Miller, Pabst, Schlitz and Pabst).

tsbuttry, Dec 18, 2007
4.24/5  rDev +36.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I like this because it is different….and like others have said, a nice change-up from hop bombs. I think it is much better on tap, but the bottles are available and I like it.

for me, it is the taste that I like, stronger than a usual American Lager, but not bitter. I prefer it colder than recommended, but that is my way.

Hard to find down south, so that probably causes me to rate it higher than some. Not a true micro or artisan beer, but a decent attempt by a large brewery to appeal to a different taste.

JLSIV, May 18, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +35.7%

I had this beer on tap at Maury's Tiny Cove in Cheviot, OH. It goes great with a cheeseburger and fries. This is the beer that inspired me to give homebrewing a try. It has a nice zip, is flavorful and has a crisp finish. The is the definitive Red Lager. Well done Leinenkugel!

pumarocks, Feb 27, 2007
4.16/5  rDev +33.8%

I may rate this higher than others but that's ok by me. its my lawnmowing, honey do list, football watching beer of choice.
chill it cold and enjoy. not your average lager as it has a bit of a malt backbone with a hop tingle at the end. nice ruby red color . try it as cold as you can.

equinox1, Sep 25, 2013
4.14/5  rDev +33.1%

To start, I'm going to say that I love Leinenkugel beer. All of them, whether it's Creamy Dark or Summer Shandy, there isn't much wrong I can find wrong with them. Leinenkugel Red is no exception. My only complaint is that I wish it had a little more head when poured. This beer is refreshing and it's aroma and taste are superb. If you are a fan of Red's, try this out!

jerrytimes, Aug 06, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +32.8%

Actually red. Like, a firetruck with a wonderful redwhite pink head.

Smells amazingly hoppy for something out of Leines. Like, I did a double take towards my bottle to make sure I poured the right stuff. A wonderful, crisp and light caramel red malt against a very firm and simple west coast hops. Very nice.

Tastes exactly like it smells. Firm, crisp malt giving way to firm, crisp hop and a nice hop aftertaste.

It's hard to make a well balanced red ale; the hops usually get in the way of the malt or they're not present at all, and when balance is achieved it's usually way heavier than the style is supposed to be. I am amazed that I am saying this, but Leinenkugel's, a subsidiary of Miller Brewing Company, has made an *excellent* example of the style with their red. Not servicable, not decent, excellent.

mynie, Feb 20, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +31.8%

Good red color, but the cap seemed "loose", kind of affecting the carbonation. Not a disaster however. Smooth with a slight hoppy tinge, this was a good beer for eating with. Went down too quick, when I looked up I had finished four. Now that's a good beer!

bewareOFpenguin, Sep 10, 2004
4.04/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Finally found a six pack of this here in OK. Being from WI, I had to snatch this up for a little reminiscing...

Of course it poured out well with a half-inch cream head and a ruby-orange color. This beers taste is well balanced with no one characteristic that shines through. That's why it's such a great beer. Extremely drinkable but hey I'm biased here what can I say.

Shrubstorm, Jul 19, 2013