Leinenkugel's Red - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Red Alström Bros
4.87/5  rDev +55.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my facorites that I have tried from Leines thus far. The small was very pleasant, while the taste was even better. I was given a bottle of this on accident while at a restaurant. I am very happy about the mixup or I would have never tried this beer. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good red beer.

4.6/5  rDev +46.5%

A great beer. Looks good. Not too much head. Smell of strong, but pleasant hops. Taste is strong, but not too strong but it keeps you coming back for more beer. Mouthful is okay could be better. Drinkability goes along with taste. The better this better taste the more you feel like to drink and the more that you will drink

4.5/5  rDev +43.3%

Lienie's red does not give much of a show in the head department but damn, that is one pretty-colored beer. It is crystal clear, slightly effervescent, and a very striking orange/ red/ copper color. The nose is mostly fresh grain with berry notes and faint hop.

This is a crisp beer that starts off slightly bitter and mellows into creamy vienna malt goodness with a nice toasty undertone. There is a very soft wisp of hop in the finish. This is an extremely soft, smooth, and balanced beer. This is probably the best Vienna Lager I have had, althought I'd have to put it up against Negra to see for sure.

4.33/5  rDev +37.9%

This is what I figure Budweiser should taste like but doesn't. I was back to my original happy hour grounds in Detroit last month and savored Leinenkugel for three weeks. It is not available in my current hometown of San Diego; Red Trolley there is similar tasting. Strangely enough, I learned that Red Trolley is brewed in Wisconsin where Leinenkugel is from and trucked to Calif.

4.24/5  rDev +35%

The beer poured a rich amber with a nice tan head, The presentation left you saying now that's what a beer should look like. The aroma was of sweet malt. The taste was big malt taste with just the right hop finish. The feel was medium and creamy. I happened to find myself in a Bennigan's in Elgin, IL and looking through the taps I saw this one. Being the only beer I hadn't heard of I had to taste it. I had gone through two before I knew it. I had to think long and hard before getting a Hacker-Pschorr HW for the finale. I was quite impressed and can't wait to get back and sample this fine beer again.

4.23/5  rDev +34.7%

Leinie's Red. Oh man. This beer gets the credit for introducing me to the American Craft Brew scene. Man, this is one freakin' tastey beer.
Oh, sure, the naysayers will complain that it isn't the best of the style, and, to be sure it isn't. However, at the price it is offered, WOW, what a freakin' beer.
This beer will always have a place in my fridge.
It smells nicely of toasty malts. The taste essentially follows the nose with just a pinch of hops and the end to give a nice clean finish.
A simple beer. but man, what a good tasting one.

4.21/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I like this because it is different….and like others have said, a nice change-up from hop bombs. I think it is much better on tap, but the bottles are available and I like it.

for me, it is the taste that I like, stronger than a usual American Lager, but not bitter. I prefer it colder than recommended, but that is my way.

Hard to find down south, so that probably causes me to rate it higher than some. Not a true micro or artisan beer, but a decent attempt by a large brewery to appeal to a different taste.

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Back when I lived in Wisconsin, this was my old standby beer. It's difficult to find on the East Coast, as distribution is poor, and the abomination known as Sunset Wheat (second only to the BerryWeis in Leine's disappointments) crowds Lenie's far superior beers off the shelves and taps.

Appearance: Excellent color. The caramel malts are almost shining, but too many were probably used as the head retention suffers.

Smell: Good malty smell, but a bit underwhelming.

Taste: Excellent malty flavor. The hops are somewhat faint, but they're present due to the lack of an aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Average mouthfeel, not too carbonated. The low/medium hoppiness of this beer leads to a lack of palate cleansing and the beer loses something over a session.

Drinkability: Excellent. This beer can go with almost anything and is enjoyable pretty much all the time. Dinner, a ballgame, or a nice long bar session at the end of the week. This is what a blue-collar Wisconsin beer should be (not the plagues of Miller, Pabst, Schlitz and Pabst).

4.18/5  rDev +33.1%

I had this beer on tap at Maury's Tiny Cove in Cheviot, OH. It goes great with a cheeseburger and fries. This is the beer that inspired me to give homebrewing a try. It has a nice zip, is flavorful and has a crisp finish. The is the definitive Red Lager. Well done Leinenkugel!

4.15/5  rDev +32.2%

I may rate this higher than others but that's ok by me. its my lawnmowing, honey do list, football watching beer of choice.
chill it cold and enjoy. not your average lager as it has a bit of a malt backbone with a hop tingle at the end. nice ruby red color . try it as cold as you can.

4.13/5  rDev +31.5%

Actually red. Like, a firetruck with a wonderful redwhite pink head.

Smells amazingly hoppy for something out of Leines. Like, I did a double take towards my bottle to make sure I poured the right stuff. A wonderful, crisp and light caramel red malt against a very firm and simple west coast hops. Very nice.

Tastes exactly like it smells. Firm, crisp malt giving way to firm, crisp hop and a nice hop aftertaste.

It's hard to make a well balanced red ale; the hops usually get in the way of the malt or they're not present at all, and when balance is achieved it's usually way heavier than the style is supposed to be. I am amazed that I am saying this, but Leinenkugel's, a subsidiary of Miller Brewing Company, has made an *excellent* example of the style with their red. Not servicable, not decent, excellent.

4.12/5  rDev +31.2%

To start, I'm going to say that I love Leinenkugel beer. All of them, whether it's Creamy Dark or Summer Shandy, there isn't much wrong I can find wrong with them. Leinenkugel Red is no exception. My only complaint is that I wish it had a little more head when poured. This beer is refreshing and it's aroma and taste are superb. If you are a fan of Red's, try this out!

4.1/5  rDev +30.6%

Good red color, but the cap seemed "loose", kind of affecting the carbonation. Not a disaster however. Smooth with a slight hoppy tinge, this was a good beer for eating with. Went down too quick, when I looked up I had finished four. Now that's a good beer!

4.01/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Finally found a six pack of this here in OK. Being from WI, I had to snatch this up for a little reminiscing...

Of course it poured out well with a half-inch cream head and a ruby-orange color. This beers taste is well balanced with no one characteristic that shines through. That's why it's such a great beer. Extremely drinkable but hey I'm biased here what can I say.

calling a beer a red when it is a lager is a little false advertising, right? ah, not so fast....the beer is a good amber color, with unfortunately little remaining head from the off white cascade that it began as.

highly malty aroma. elements of cherry and grape. very unexpectedly good.

the flavor begins with a significant caramel malt flavor, and has some clean grainy aspects in the middle. finishes slightly sweet and very malty.

creamy feel. mildly carbonated.

whoa. this was a very good vienna lager. creamy, malty, pretty...what more can you ask for? I coud drink this all night...and I just might.

3.98/5  rDev +26.8%

Appearance: Bold, bright sunset-orange; the whole beer glows even in dim light. Audibly excited bubbles race upwards into a big mishmash of a bone-colored head. Speckled lacing all the way down. Good retention.

Smell: Fruity and vinous, like an asti. On the sweet side, with a crossbreeze of citric hops. Refreshing and clean, but does have some heft to it.

Taste: Moderated toasty malt character, on the earthy side of fruitiness. Overall, reminds me of wheat toast with apple butter. Sweetness is offset by leafy and citric hops. Finish is a skirmish between malts and hops, with malts the ultimate victor.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy, although slightly flat.

Drinkability: Very, very drinkable, an excellent session beer. There are better Vienna lagers out there, but this is always reliable, cheap, and easy to find. People don't give Leinie's enough credit.

3.97/5  rDev +26.4%

The beer poured a vibrant amber color with a medium thickness tan head that lasted a few minutes. The aroma is of caramel but balanced out somewhat with some hop bitterness. The taste is a bit of caramel with some citrus notes and a touch of bitterness but not overpowering. This is a very drinkable beer as it is fairly light and refreshing.

3.97/5  rDev +26.4%

Just the right hops. Too many craft beer snobs have to have over hopped beer that leaves a horrible taste when you belch. I agree that the head dies too soon. Otherwise this reminds me a bit of the cold fermented ales (Alt Biers) served only in Dusseldorf. Clean taste. Good mouth. Great beer.

3.95/5  rDev +25.8%

This was actually the first craft beer I purchased after turning 21, didn't know about BA then. Had it on tap last night at Wando's, still brings a grin to my face.

A: Pours a light-brownish red, slightly-darker-than-white head. The cup is unfortunately plastic, so that doesn't help much.

S: Smell is crisp, pleasantly hoppy and fresh. Light caramal malts also punctuate the aroma. Maybe a shade of bitterness as well.

T & D: Tastes just like it smells -- and this is nice because it isn't a blow-your-doors-off hop bomb of a red, or an extra-bitter, etc. As the Vienna style indicates, it's an easy drinker that always pleases and doesn't make your brain or taste buds work too hard.

3.95/5  rDev +25.8%

First review, so bear with me, Bottle poured into a Glass

Appearance - Nice reed color, with a very small head
Smell - Not too harsh, leaves a nice little aroma
Taste - Smooth, a little bitter, but thats what I like in a red beer, very nice aftertaste
Mouthfeel - feels light and smooth, does not fizz or bubble in my mouth
Drinkability - Tastes similar to a Killians, but is easier for me to drink. Started as a little bitter, but after the 3rd or 4th sip became really smooth. Not very strong, but nice beer to drink while watching a game on tv.

3.92/5  rDev +24.8%

I've been reading about Leinenkugel for a long time in a series of novels that I like. I purchased a case of Leinenkugel that included 6 Red's, 6 Honey Weiss', 6 Sunset Wheats and 6 Creamy darks.

I poured a cold Red into a pilsner style glass and enjoyed a light, sweet smell. After sniffing the beer I wanted to drink it immediately. It poured a nice two finger head with plenty of lacing. The taste was not as sweet as the smell, but it was nice and smooth with good mouth feel. The after taste was a little hoppier than I had expected, but it was nice. I don't have a lot of experience with Red Ales, but I know that I liked this one and would definitely reach for it again.

3.88/5  rDev +23.6%

This is very nice...
Pours a very deep amber with limited head....has a nice glass ring with exceptional glass cling. Heavy lace.
Carbonation is very light.
Aroma is a mild fruity expierience.
The body is full.
The taste is very well balanced...slight edge to the hops.

3.87/5  rDev +23.2%

I have to say that I was surprised to see the low reviews this one got. I really enjoyed it.

It smelled of caramel malts, poured a nice rusty red color with an off-white head. There was a very nice crisp taste to this beer that was refreshing, as well as some hops and caramels.

Went down smooth and satisfying. I'll be buying a sixer next time instead of a single.

3.86/5  rDev +22.9%

This beer holds a special place in my heart. It was my gateway beer to microbrews and craft beers. Back when I was drinking MGD, Red Dog, Icehouse and other ordinary beers, this one was my first "chance" taken on something off the path. Applebee's had it on tap and I watched a server carry one by in a "Brewtus" glass. I said to myself, " I must have one of those". So I did and I enjoyed it. It became sort of an after work tradition and soon after I tried Warsteiner and Guinness and the rest is history. Can't remember the last time I had an MGD. Do they still make it? Anyway, about the beer....smooth...red....nice beer that deserves to be tasted. I confess that I haven't had one in a long time. I can't find it anymore around here. What happened to it? Wish I could find it. I would get a 6 pack or two of it. If it's in your area, try it.

3.86/5  rDev +22.9%

This beer is pretty good. Overall I think another review said it best: a great crossover beer. It reminds me a little of Killian's Irish red, but more pleasant, and less harsh.

It pours a nice deep orange color, with a creamy small white head. It has a nice aroma of toasty malts. It is slightly bitter to the tongue at first, and mellows into nice malt overtones. It is pretty well balanced, but may be slightly on the bitter side (which I actually prefer). It leaves a wonderful aftertaste of toasty malty vanilla flavor. It isn't extremely drinkable, but you can definitely put down a few of these in one sitting. Overall not bad, and well worth trying if you haven't had it yet.

Leinenkugel's Red from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company