Leinenkugel's Red - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Red Alström Bros
3.11/5  rDev -1%

Pours a see-through, light amber with a thin lacing of off white head. The nose is pure caramel that is very sweet. The flavor has notes of caramel up front but quickly turns to an herbal, bitter hop finish. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, smooth, crisp, syrupy, and a bit chewy.

This isn't a great beer. It may be alright for someone working their way into craft beer, but it's definitely not a great representative of the style.

3.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: clear, amber-orange body with a nice effervescence and a thick finger of frothy tan foam. I think it cuts a clean look.

Smell: light caramel aroma with a touch of sweetness and a hint of noble hops. Not bad.

Taste: light caramel flavor with a very light hop flavor and low bitterness. There's unfortunately kind of an off-flavor here; it's not disgusting or anything, but it's a bit of a plastic note.

Mouthfeel: light body with a great big carbonation which yields a big creaminess despite the thin body. Surprisingly good!

Overall: a tasty-enough and drinkable beer. Not a bad thirst quencher, despite some flavor difficulties.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Tawny, light amber – just vaguely red hued. Large golden off-white head. A few rising bubbles. Very clear. Retains okay and leaves some decent lace.

S: Toasty, grainy malt with a hint of sweetness. Estery lager nose. Good hint of floral and softly spicy hops. Fairly simple, but reasonable strength for a lager. Decent, but not inviting.

T: Malts are still largely toasty grain, but also with a good bit of bready undertones. Just a hint of sweetness & toffee/dark caramel, but mostly toasty and a bit dry. Nicely balancing hop bitterness. Character is floral and softly spicy throughout with a grassy backbone. Just a very faint background euro-lager hint. Not really robust or complex, but it does have decent depth.

M: Just barely medium body with CO2 a frogs hair over-matched. Hint of dextrins & sticky sugars. Some hop drying at the end. Quite a decent feel for the abv & style & flavor. Gets just a touch astringent toward the end.

D: One of the nicer Leinie brews I have had (at least recently). Looks good, feels good, tastes fair, and smells alright. Nice and easy drinking. Pretty solid.

3.37/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Brown amber with orange highlight, head builds but is too fizzy to leave much lace. Clarity is good.

S - Smells pleasantly of hops.

M - Crisp.

T - The hops dont blind or burn the tip of my tongue, and the carbonation is not over powering but this is a bitter brew. The hop flavour all but masks the malt, and sits evenly on my tongue. Thel lingering bitterness leaves a slightly medicinal taste in the back of my mouth.

This is a bitter beer, and not complex, but the bitterness is not overpowering nor unbalanced. It compliments pizza and spinach (or a pipe) quite well, but it is not the kind of beer I want to drink on its own.

2.7/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from session notes.

Translucent coppery red in color with a return to the usual fizzy stubby head without lacing from the majority of the members of the Leinenkugel session. Smell is very faint, almost non-existent, just a ghost of a whisper of malt nuance, tastes like a watery and thin-bodied vienna lager with a lackluster sprinkling of hops on top. I'm...not particularly impressed or offended by this one either. Middle of the road watery and thin beer, but still better than a BMC.

2.91/5  rDev -7.3%

When i poured this beer into a pint glass, it has a light reddish brown body with a very creamy,sticky white head. I don't pick up much from the smell but a little malt. The taste is a little malty with some hops on the back of the tongue. The mouth feel is ok and overall, i wasn't inpressed at all.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was up in WI for the holidays this last week, and went out for a burger with my brothers, and wanted something light and crisp. Went with this.

Poured into a pint glass. Pours an unsurprising copper red with a thin beige head on top. Decent lace left behind. The nose is mild with slight hop scent, but mostly sweet malts and breads. Good clean mouthfeel. Crisp with decent carbonation. A nice sweet lager here. Light toffee, fresh bread, little bit of graham cracker. Nice beer. Nothing earth-shattering, but a beer I wouldn't turn down.

2.62/5  rDev -16.6%

Upon opening, no smoke comes out. I poured it into a good beer glass. It pours with a three finger fluffy head. The color of the head is white. The body is exactly red. just like the label says.

I get no smell. I pick up nothing. I don't understand this. In a beer, I want powerful robust smells and aromas coming from it. Im already disappointed...

It tastes like water and hops. It has a watery taste that adjunct lagers have. The hops come out in a good way but it does not overpower that thing that reminds me of the adjuncts. Upon drinking more, hops come out a lot more; but its not what Im looking for. I do like the hop taste though.

The mouthfeel is not what I want either. Little carbonation; almost tastes flat. I want more character in mouthfeel just as much as in taste.

Overall, its okay. I like the hops but other than that nothing special.

3.21/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours just like it says, red. Deep amberish, but still, the best color description is red. Fairly translucent. Small, fizzy head that doesn't last too long. Ok lacing.

S- Very weak. A little malty tone, but no hops. It almost seems like it has been watered down in the smell categiry.

T- Mild malt character throughout. Somewhat of a hops character towards the end, but not much. Crisp tasting, leaves little to no aftertaste.

M- Lots of carbonation and very light. If you're a fan of more amber styled beers and want to drink a lot of them, this one is for you.

Overall, it's just ok. It has that Leinie's taste that every one of their beers has, and I don't know what it is or how to describe it, but it's always there. A decent brew, but nothing special.

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Ruby red with a faint white head.

Nose is slightly malty with a hint of red grapes.

Some malty characters in the taste. Very mild bread notes. Slightly spicy from the noble hops. Sharp overall bite. Very crisp.

Nothing really special here. It's a vienna lager but that's about it. Seems muted and missing a bigger malty backbone.

3.08/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Amber-red color with 1 finger of white head. Little retention.

S: Quite sweet, with some hops coming in behind the malts.

T: Caramel-y and roasty at first, with some balance from the hops. Leads into a very earthy, bubbly finish.

M: Light bodied beer with decent carbonation. Didn't get huge amounts of the bubbles until the finish.

O: This is an average beer. It is drinkable, but I wouldn't buy again (in favor of trying something new).

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A) Amber in color with reddish tone. A pretty light amber actually, but darker than the Leinie's classic amber. A bit over a finger of foamy head. Not much retention or lacing.

S) The aroma is fairly sweet, with a little bit of a floral/grassy presence.

T) Initially, a lightly roasted, sweet malt flavor. Decent balance, as the finish transitions to more earthy/grassy tastes. Bigger flavor in comparison to the classic amber.

M) Light bodied brew that is not overly carbonated. The mouthfeel on this is actually pretty smooth, compared to other Leinie's beers.

O) Although they are different styles, this was somewhat similar to the classic amber. I thought the red was a little better. I actually think, that as far as Leinie's beers go this is pretty good. I have found Leinie's at many a family gathering, because they brew middle ground beer. It doesn't typically scare of the macro light crowd, and it doesn't completely disgust those with a preference for craft.

3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Brilliantly clear light amber body with moderate sized cream colored head.

A- Light caramel malt aroma. Light grassy hops.

T- Light grassy hop astrigency. Slightly watery. Caramel malt flavors. Finishes with a stale sweet malt flavor.

M- Very smooth body, on the light side. Moderate carbonation.

D- Rather enjoyable. That said I'd prefer a Sam Adams to this.

3.7/5  rDev +17.8%

Had on-tap at a little place in Port Clinton called Bel Mel Tavern. Leinenkugel much like Sam Adams are usually solid choices when nothing else but macro is present. I find both companies produce fairly decent styles if a little unremarkable most of the time, though I find Sam to be better with their offerings then Leiny, but I digress. Poured a nice amber red into pint place which arrived with a quarter inch or so of fluffy head. Taste was a good mouth feel with a noble hop crispness that mellows to a nice clean drinking biscuit like finish. I have to say I would get this again, probably my personal favorite that I have had from Leinenkugel's as I actually found myself wanting another instead of wanting something else with a little more. A good solid vienna lager for sure.

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a medium amber red with a firm white head, limited lace.

S: Sweet biscuity malt, hint of noble style hops.

T: Direct caramel/Vienna malt, a tad underattenuated for the style to me, but an enjoyable flavour. Some grass and orange from the hops balance it out.

M: Light-bodied, with a firm crisp carbonation, thin at times, easy drinking.

O: Probably the best I've had from Leine's, but that's not really saying much. A similar beer to Yuengling but not as dry. Worth a pickup if you like the style.

3.35/5  rDev +6.7%

I have heard so much about this brand, just had to grab some and try it.
Nice looking, about the same color as hardwood furniture.
Smell is...fragrant.
It smells better than it tastes, but it doesn't taste too bad. I suspect that this is a beer that I will acquire a better taste for by the time I finish the 6 pack. It's got a slight hoppy bite, but other than that it just hits a dead spot on my palate.
I'll call this one AVERAGE, even though my ratings for appearance and smell will inflate the overall score.

3.03/5  rDev -3.5%

12oz bottle, from a grocery store mixer (I freakin' love that!) in Montana last month.

This beer pours a clear brassy copper hue, with three fingers of thin puffy pale beige head, which leaves some random islets of lace around the glass as it fades away. It smells mildly of sweet grainy malt, and weedy, metallic hops. The taste is quite plain - innocuous grain, a slight mineral edge, and dry earthy hops. The carbonation is moderate, the body medium weight, a little astringent, but smooth nonetheless. It finishes fairly balanced, the somewhat bready malt and middling floral, weedy hops in a dance of the banal.

Wow, I can't remember the last time a beer left me so stricken for words, in the manner of 'I just can't describe this, it's so booorrring...' Not bad, not good, just, well, not even meh. Cripes, this is the beer equivalent of being home by 10.

2.76/5  rDev -12.1%

Picked this up at Buy Rite in Jersey City last week. Sure enough, I've been going through single bottles like crazy and they have quite a few of them available there. I didn't expect much from this beer after reading the reviews on here and after having this last night, I can vouch that everyone else was right. This is about as one-dimensional a beer as I've had in quite a while.

This had a deep amber hue to it with a head that was present, but not long-lasting. No lacing to be seen and practically no aroma either. The taste was that of a weak caramel with very little body or carbonation to offset the light mouthfeel. Nothing heavy or toasty here and this went down easy. Normally, this is a good trait for this beer when it reminds me of Yuengling, that's not an association that I want to make.

Sure, there's alcohol in here and I could have downed a few bottles of this if I had nothing else to drink here. This is a session beer but that's not saying a whole lot when this doesn't have a lot going for it. Having a Blue Point Toasted Lager or the Vienna Lager from Trader Joe's would be a wiser option than this since they have body and flavors to match. This may be the darkest "lawnmower beer" that I'll have this year.

2.98/5  rDev -5.1%

Served in a Sam Adams sensory pint glass at the Schaumburg Red Lobster.

My first visit to Red Lobster (seriously) and my first Sam Adams pint glass with a lobster on it. Right on. The beer pours a rusty amber topped by nearly a finger of cream foam. The nose comprises caramel, stale rye bread, and musty oranges. The taste holds notes of musty caramel, orange rind, light lemon peel, black pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. Things don't quite meld well, ending up with a harsh bitterness shrouded by a meek attempt at sweetness. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall, I was nowhere near enthused by this brew, but luckily the tilapia dish that accompanied it salvaged the dinner.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a copperish red color. Decent, but not great head retention and fair lacing.

There isn't much to the smell, it is fairly ordinary.

Flavor is good, lots of caramel malt and the hops are there for balance, rather than adding much to the basic flavor.

It's very smooth in the mouth and the drinkability factor is high. Starts to come across as a little bit watery after you finish about half the glass.

Very basic beer here. Subjectively, I am enjoying this quite a bit, and find it to be a great session possibility. But it lacks any distinguishing characteristics that would allow me to rate it higher. Solidly above average brew, though.

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

Pour: Medium reddish-copper color. Two finger of off white head with average retention and minimal lacing.

Smell: Sweet smell with caramel and brown sugar. Slight fruit hint. Not much else going on though.

Taste: There's nothing offensive about the taste, there's just not much there. Caramel malt flavor dominates the palate pretty much front to back. Little to no hop bitterness. One-dimensional and unexciting.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery. Very high carbonation, almost prickly.

Drinkability/Overall: Nothin special. Wouldn't drink more than one of these. Inoffensive and simple. Easy to throw back.

Final Notes: Yet another letdown from Lenie's. I keep hopin they give me something memorable but it hasn't happened yet. I won't be buying this again, and there are much better Vienna Lagers out there (Snake River Lager and SABL come to mind).

3.73/5  rDev +18.8%

I see that I reviewed this on-tap over five years ago. I wish that I had mentioned where I found it on draft, but I CAN tell you that my bottle came from my local bottle hook-up, tone77, who worries that without his help, my bottle numbers would never match up to my CANQuest (TM). Thanks, bro!

From the bottle: "Lager with four varieties of specialty barley malts, hand-selected Cluster and Mt. Hood hops."

My Leinie Lodge newsletter arrived the other day and it made for a pleasant read. The beer poured pleasantly enough, giving me two-plus fingers of thick, tawny head that began to fall like Wile E. Coyote off of a cliff. I am a big fan of truth in advertising, so a reddish-amber beer that bills itself as a "Red Lager" is right up my alley. Actually, it was closer to copper and it had NE-quality clarity which makes for a pretty beer, if nothing else. Nose was quite malty sweet, making good use of the four varieties mentioned on the label. Mouthfeel was medium with an initial sweetness, but giving 'way to a mild bitterness, especially on the finish. I shake my head in disbelief that I did not like this on tap at one point, but the circumstances are lost. I know that it was quite enjoyable this evening and if I could get it in a CAN, I would be up for a try.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The red lager pours out as an mildly attractive amber color much like any of the red lagers out there. The head is a very light tanish yellow color with little retention. The smell is a little hoppy and a little bit of malts going on in there. The taste is malty up front with some other grains and finished up with a little hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel is light and easy to drink like most of Leinie's brews. Overall it's not bad, it's not great either but worth trying.

2.86/5  rDev -8.9%

I bought a six-pack of Leinenkugel's Red Lager in a grocery store. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a bright copper color, clear, with a few bubbles rising in the glass. Small white head.

The smell is sweet and bready, with a dairy scent, cream or sweet butter, with a hint of a lager scent like perfume.

Taste is sweet and dominated by malted grain. There is a bit of a peat presence and a light vinegar flavor.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery. The beer is mildly carbonated bordering on flat.

Drinkable but unremarkable. I'm not a big fan of the red lager style. If you like this one is probably decent.

2.74/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into a pint glass and its actually a pretty beer. It has a vibrant amber color with a one finger head that doesn't stick around very long though and not much lacing if any.

The smell is very fient but you can pick up the sweet malts.

Pretty good flavor but like many from leinenliugel's its malt heavy with only a small hoppy flavor. They mix right up front but the malt is pretty overpowering and there is very little to no bitterness.

Not a bad lager though and I'd drink it again because it was refreshing but simple.

Leinenkugel's Red from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company