Join our email list →

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States | website

Vienna Lager | 4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Red Alström Bros
firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last
2.86/5  rDev -8.9%

beautiful amber color which pours out a thin head. slight malty nose with a hint of hoppiness. the malt flavor is pretty thin, leaving me with a watery aftertaste. it slides down pretty good but so does water. i've had all the brews from leinie's before, and upon revisiting a couple of them, i remember why i waited so long to review them. because they suck.

3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

Upon further review…

Leine’s Red has a sweet malty aroma, very nice, but no development beyond that. It actually ends on a faint dull metallic note (barely noticeable though). As for the taste, well it matches the nose: malty sweet, it is perfectly enjoyable but nothing else says “hello” to your palate. There is nothing wrong with the taste; I suppose I’d say it is fairly decent and fairly drinkable. As the name might indicate, it is a red (reddish-brown) beer with an off-white head that tops out at ½ an inch and it seems to reform a mini-head after every sip.

I decided to give this beer a second try, and yes, I did like it better this go-a-round but I still don’t find it outstanding. I’d drink it again without complaining!

3.74/5  rDev +19.1%

Bright amber, very red color indeed. Pour produces a thick, foamy tan head. Not much noticable smell wise, some decent malt smells. Very beer like. Taste is always pleasant to me, malty, slighltly thin on the hops, but very decent. I always thought it was a amber ale, not a dark lager, that shows you what I know. Bigger bodied than you would think.But with a wierd tongue coating slime, if you live it sit too long. I haven't tried the others in the Leinekugel line, but I would give them a try. I used to drink these all the time in college, they were always a $1.00.

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

Not a bad beer, and used to be one of my favorites when I thought this was "microbrew exotic". Pale red in color with almost non-existent head. The aroma was slightly sweet, although it was not malt, more of a corn/grain sweetness. The flavor was more of the same with slight hops appearing at the end of the flavor to give the lager taste. From Leine's offerings, I like the Original and Creamy Dark better. Not a bad beer for a change from the macro lagers and because of the high availability, can be found at most of the same places for the same price.

3.8/5  rDev +21%

Leinenkugel’s Red Lager pours a ruddy amber from the 12 oz brown bottle with the feathered Indians on the labels, one Indian on the neck band and one Indian on the larger main label. Nice head that stays around for a while.

Leinenkugel is celebrating their 135th anniversary, and I’m thinking there might by some extra malt in this brew, just for the occasion

Nose is all malt, palate is a firm malt with pleasant malt sweet notes, then just mild hops linger in the palate for a pleasant after taste.

Leinenkugel’s Red Lager is not a watered down and over carbonated red Beer. Good Beer taste with pleasant mouth feel, the only thing I would want more of is alcohol, I think this Beer is a bit light in that regard.

3.46/5  rDev +10.2%

I liked this one almost as much as Killian's. Similar color and flavor but this one seemed a little more carbonated but that may be because I had it in a keg. If I was having a Leinie I would take the Creamy Dark hands down.

3.73/5  rDev +18.8%

A long enjoyable evening drinking Lenie’s Red, which really grew on me over the course of the night. It is reddish, with a nice head that was lost fairly quickly. This had the malt taste that is typical, but I kept noticing an assertive hops flavor that was as surprising as it was enjoyable. Very crisp, drinkable and refreshing for its style (thanks to the hops).

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Light red in hue and typically clear. The head is poorly retained, leaving an unimpressive and thin layer. Odd metallic, sharp husky grain notes in aroma. The hop nose is paltry. Tastewise this beer is expectedly bland, but there are no outright flaws. Sugary corn sweetness is prominent, but not overbearing. There's no way this brew is all barley malt. It's very thin in body, and malt flavors are lacking. That being said, this is the epitomy of the style. Leinenkugel's red is bland and the color serves only for asthetic purposes.

3.09/5  rDev -1.6%

Perfect amber color with a frothy white head that has some retention. Slight caramel malt notes detected in the nose. Pretty clean taste. Just a tad musty. Hop taste is negligible. Nothing distinctive about this brew. Tastes like a macro.

2.53/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Leinies are what (many) Wisconsinites drink when they think they are having good beers. Those of us who appreciate good beer know better. Their beers just do not measure up. Not one of them has any distinct character. Most are swill for the masses.
So the story goes for Leinies Red. Mediocrity encapsulated. It does not do a single thing well. Fairly bitter for a red lager, light roasted with a little malt sweetness, but otherwise completely nondescript. Not even a good fall-back. I hope any bar worth your hard earned $$ has a better beer available.
Steer clear.
Drink better.

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

"Leinies" try hard but just don't seem to measure up (try a Creamy Dark, its too obvious and one dimensional in its "chocolate" approach)...the Red is the same, a little tangy and granular but thin overall, mouthfeel suffers the most...a Winter Lager that they used to do was one of their best, real spice notes brought on by complexity -- but more lately, they seem to be focusing on fewer offerings. The Red just dissappears off your tongue...

2.71/5  rDev -13.7%

Just a basic run of the mill red...not a lot of flavor, but some maltiness tries to fight its way out..Easy drinking..I thought this was better than Killians but I'm not sure right now...It's not bad, but it's pretty non-descript..creamy finish..Last time I tried it I thought it had more hopping than Killians and a unique taste..I get very little hops out of this one..

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last