Leinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Big Butt DoppelbockLeinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Doppelbock |  5.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-05-2002)

benholmen, Nov 23, 2011

plasma, Dec 07, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +50.8%

schoon, Jan 22, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +50.8%

spikechiquet, Dec 22, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +45.4%

Got 12 for a New Years Eve party to give it a try.

A - The bottle has two Rams butting heads. Interesting. Pours a dark brown.

S - Smells just like what you would expect from a doppelbock.

T - Very surprised when I tried it. I have had many Leinenkugel brews before and all seemed a bit skunked to me but this was not. Very, Very Tasty.

M - Very smooth, no offensive aftertaste.

D - O boy, Slammed all 12 and was sad I didn't have more. This is an exceptional drinker. All night type beer. I am saddened that it is only a seasonal brew.

weylinfidler, Jan 24, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +44.4%

I got this beer with a friend, just to see how it was. Plus we were making the best BEER BRATS you probably can imagine.

I opened one and took a big wiff of it. The smell was great.

Unlike most of the other users I dont have an extensive vocabulary when it comes to describing these types of beers. The smell was very I dont know how else to say, home-y.

The smell was somewhat comforting. And stronger than the actual taste.

The taste blew me away, the smell was way stronger than the smell. I feel like I tried this beer before, There was somthing about it. The after taste was kinda flower-y. I dont know how to describe it.

Mouth feel was great also, not too punishing for my first beer out of the pack, not to mention that after 2 sips we started pouring them on the Brats.

Drinkablilty, Let me just say I could drink this everyday. Its a great tasting, great convo starter (Big Butt lol) and a decently priced beer.

It deserves my rating. And I shall come back to this one on Bratwurst day.

Clockwork420, May 03, 2007
4.52/5  rDev +43.5%

JeffONeal, Sep 06, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +41.9%

It has been a while since I bought this one; it's probably been 6 months'ish and I don't recall what I paid for it. I think that I got it from The Wine Garden in Blackfoot, but don't "me;) Good beer. Nice and beer tasting. A bit on the lite side as far as mouth feel goes, but a good drinker. Extra frothy head for a dopple bock I think and it stuck around for a good 15mins. Oddly little lacing;) Cheers!

TroyS, Apr 20, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +36.5%

Always one of my favorite Leine's beers. I've never found it on the East Coast, but always grab one when I'm back in Wisconsin. Here's the breakdown...

Appearance: Excellent color, good head, poor lacing, though.

Smell: Nice, malty smell.

Taste: The maltiness of the smell doesn't quite live up in the taste department, but most definitely there with a good amount of caramel malts and probably chocolate. More hops than your typical dopplebock, but it doesn't overpower the malt.

Mouthfeel: No real aftertaste (remarkable for a malt-heavy beer), carbonation is excellent and it plays well on the palate.

Drinkability: Quite good. Goes well with food, passes the ballgame test with flying colors, and I've drank it as a session beer as well.

tsbuttry, Dec 20, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +35.9%

A refreshing, drinkable doppelbock. Not exactly words you hear used together on this forum. Indeed, I was pleasantly surprised by the refreshing qualities of this beer and the lower ABV that made it go down very easily. Beautiful (cola) dark in the glass with a decent, if short-lived head. All malt (the chocolate kind) in the nose with the same in the first sips. A subtle tartness follows and then a touch of bitter roasted flavor that is really a great change of pace from the heavy flavor I expected. This is not a sweet beer and that makes it even better. I'm glad I ran into this at the store. I wish it were more readily available. Leinenkugel's could really make a dent in our local market if they'd send more things like this our way. It will become a regular in my fridge.

tugdriver7, Mar 28, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +35.9%

Ordered this one from a bar/restaurant in northeastern Minnesota.

Bartender poured into a towering 22oz glass. Nice head retention throughout my dinner. Aroma was strong on the malty side with very little hop influence. I enjoy a malty beer so it appealed to me. Carbonation was right on as far as I was concerned which led to a smooth mouthfeel. Hints of chocolate were evident upon the initial taste and then the roasted malt flavor took over. I really enjoyed this brew with a fresh walleye dinner. Outstanding.

I heard Leinenkugels will not be brewing this Big Butt again. I'm glad I had the chance to experience the Big Butt.

Saunapoika, Oct 24, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +32.7%

This was a great doppelbock. It had a fantabulous mixture of hops and malt. There was a subtle hint of hops followed by a nice caramely malt flavor. The color was a nice brown with amber hue. A very good beer, I would definitely order this one again.

Ellbert, Aug 17, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +29.5%

pours a very dark and to me pleasing color with a fairly good head that does'nt stay long.smell is kinda malty and very slightly spicey.
mouth-feel for me is just right; not too fizzy or not too bland.flavor is a nice roasted carmel flavor with a slight chocolate flavor hint. goes down real good with the exception of a lingering after-taste
that i didn't care much for. i found that as it warmed to room temp the flavor intesifed somewhat which i like. i also discovered the after-taste issue is not a problem if you are munching on somthing also. over-all i would recommend it if you like a dark hearty beer.
i will sure buy some more.

dmowen, Feb 25, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +29.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. pours a deep chocolate brown with brilliant garnet highlights. an ephemeral head tops it off, without any lacings.

aroma is of caramel malts above all else, with notes of cinnamon, chocolate, and a touch of alcohol. a rather simple aroma, though well balanced.

taste is of caramel malts as well, joined by cinnamon. a nutty base becomes an undertone for the palate, with a well proportioned profile.

the brew of medium bodied, with a smooth texture and a bit of CO2. no alcohol is present, and the body is rather thin for a doppelbock.

this brew is well balanced, but remains thin in the mouth. the flavor profile is bold enough for a good bock, but the texture is somewhat lacking. one of Leinenkugel's better offerings, but a few steps short of a great brew.

botham, Dec 22, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +27.9%

This beer is a dark cola color with two fingers of tan head that vaporized quickly with noisey, soda-like fizzing. It holds steady at a thin layer. Nose is brown sugar, cinnamon, and nut.

I am struck first by a big earhty hop flavor, then bitter deeply rasted dark malt, then sweet sweet nutty-toffee malt. There is a strong cola character and a slightly alcoholic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is a little out there I admit. It is oddly light and thin fizzy, stingy carbonation that wafts up into the sinuses.

I really love this beer. It is an odd one, and almost resembles soda more than beer, but what an awesome soda it is eh? I feel its low rating probably comes from the unfortunate name of "Dopplebock" surly it is no mach for any "-ator". It is cheap and damn delicious though.

JudgeRoughneck, Feb 18, 2006

Imsothirsty, Jan 27, 2012

Goldfoot, Dec 16, 2011

mike727, Feb 03, 2012

I've drank a couple various Dopplebock, and in my opinion they all have about the same taste/ after taste... I seem to be a fan of dopplebock, and i really like this Big Butt Dopplebock.. And were i am from this seems to be pretty popular cuz they cant keep it in stock.. I would recommend trying it.. For about $5.50 a six pack.. u cant go wrong.. Has a nice dark color.. creamy dark tint head.. and i personally love the taste of this beer..

flatspin187, Jan 22, 2006

aliving1, Jan 03, 2012

Extrajoker00, Apr 21, 2013

I found this to be a good little bock for a good little price.
It pours a nice rich, dark color. The head is tan that does fade to only leave slight lace. Not as thick and hardy as other Doppels, but the 5.7% aids or shows a balance to a thinner bodied bock.
The aroma is carmelized malts and dark breads.
The taste is dark roasted malts, toffee, alittle hop but all makes for a good creamy mouthfeel. There are bolder bocks yes, but drinkable thisone is.

chilidog, Mar 11, 2006

rocklibster, Jan 16, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +25.4%

poured a deep mohogany with a short head that fell in a hazy sheet and a tease of belgian lacing.
the aroma is very malty, carmelized malt, hint of hopsack, ever so slight hint of chocolate.
the flavor is rich with malt, noble hop flavor, clean middle, slightly spicy finish. the after taste is very pleasent, i can not put my finder on the flavor but i like it.
the mouthfeel is pretty good.
this beer is rather good, not a big fan of leinie products, but i do like this. even though i think it is a little low on the alcohol. its still a reat tasting beer.

plaztikjezuz, Feb 24, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this one up as a single in Ohio somewhere due to their lack of choices. However, I was not disapoointed in the selection in the least. Great malt characteristics, balanced by slight chocolate and caramels flavors. Enjoyed this one a bit colder than usual, but it held up well with some North Carolina BBQ. Liked this style as well.

Backer2004, Aug 09, 2006