Leinenkugel's Apple Spice - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: battlekow on 11-03-2005)

Goldfoot, Dec 16, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +57.1%

Leinenkugel has done it again in my opinion.. Nice color.. the smell.. man the smell is awesome.. u can smell the apples and cinamon.. As far as the taste.. A+ it doesnt really taste like a cider draft.. it taste like a apple flavor beer, with a cinnamon after taste.. If u like apples u will really enjoy this beer.. Ive had the bottle and the tap.. they are both excellent, but if u get a chance to try on tap. Go for it..

flatspin187, Jan 22, 2006

matjack85, Feb 11, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +44.2%

A monstrous thanks to TATURBO for a trade on this one. Ever since I came across this a bit ago I had been wanting to try it. I found this beer to be worth the wait and was very very happy to finally try it last night.

The beer poured as a nice looking light copper color, the head was foamy and white. Not much lacing but the head stuck around a for amount of time. The smell of the beer is like a delicious apple dessert of some kind. Really nice apple and spicy cinnamon on the nose. Doesn't smell like beer at all really and I can see why people won't like that. The taste was epic, full of fresh pressed apple flavors with a elegant amount of spice, really freaking tasty! The mouthfeel was light and had a good carbonation to it. Very drink I thought. Overall this beer has the potential to be the best Leinenkugel brew that I've had. The only thing is that I'll probably never see it again. It's safe to say that if I ever do see it, I'll be buying a good amount of it to hold onto.

Knapp85, Jul 01, 2011

twinsfan86, Jan 10, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +42%

Poured into pilsner glass producing a nice two-fingered bright white meringue head upon an extremely pale straw yellow beer. Not a lot of retention to the head, but nice lacing is left behind. Moderately carbonated, higher carbonation might suit better, however could make it to sparkling cider-like.

Huge nose is very applely and sweet with a raw malt touch in the background. There is a real cider nose to the beer with the cinnimon just detectable in taste and smell. There is a faint malt undertone that slightly balances and accents. No hop character is present as expected. There is a green apple bitter/sourness and a red apple sweetness that is nicely balanced in the nose and taste.

The taste is as I expected from the nose, but more sweet. My mouth not just taste apples it really feels as though I am ingesting an apple product. Though it could be more beery this is an excellent example of a fruit style beer.

Matching perfectly with the beer the mouthfeel even has the slight thickness and graininess there is in unfiltered apple juice; and the carbonation is just right for the beer as well.

The drinkability is much better than I thought it was going to be. Would be good paired with food especially a slightly sweet apple dessert like a cobbler or crisp.

I really like this beer, and think it is a great example of the style. It showcases what it claims to be and does it well. I could not drink it alot but in the right conditions it is a great brew. No Validity Date.

Beeryce, Feb 27, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +37.8%

This is my favorite offfering from this brewery. I have alway's enjoyed other Leinies but this is truly a first -rate beer. I am not a fruit beer person but this is clean, crisp, with a intoxicating Apple smell and a taste that is not too sweet or sugary. It pours a clean apple like color with just the right amount of head. Great for the cool fall nights or a Sunday afternoon watching the NFL from your lazy-boy. I know I'm going to stash a couple cases away before it's seasonal run is over. YUM!!!

WWbrewfan, Oct 12, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +36.2%

aasher, Aug 10, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +35.3%

Appearance is good, golden in color, with not a lot of head but some decent lacing.
Smell is good, apples and cinamon smell, not much else going on
Taste is like breakfast apples, with a bit of sweet candy malt at the end.
Mouthfeel is creamy.
Drinkability is good, but one is enough, you might get sick after that.

supercolter, Dec 23, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +35.3%

My good friend, Ivan Kluck brought a six pack of this Wisconsin native to my family's New Years Eve party. I think he only had one and left me the rest of the sixer. Thanks buddy.

Appearance - Golden yellow body with a fair amount of carbonation. The half-inch of pure white head tops an attractive brew.

Smell - Just pulling the top off the bottle releases the sweet aroma of apple and cinnamon.

Taste - It tastes like a carbonated apple and spice cider. This is a flavor that is firm and well defined. There is no beating around the bush. This beer's flavor is potent and solid.

Mouthfeel - The feel is good too. I was expecting something thicker but got a smooth brew with great character.

~ I will certainly recommend this to fellow beer lovers and anyone else. Jacob's crew has another winner. Nice work! In my humble opinion this beer is great for after dinner or lunch or breakfast.

cdkrenz, Jan 12, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +35.3%

Tried this one on-tap tonight at a local pub. I'd had this from the bottle a few years ago, when they first came out with it. I thought it was decent then, but more of a niche-type beer that not a lot of people are going to appreciate.

On-tap, it pours the expected fizzy yellow color. Smells sweet and sugary, of apple pie filling, cinnamon, and cheap lager. For some reason, those same aromas come through also in the flavor, and well, its quite enjoyable. This was hands-down the most refreshing beer I tried all night, and probably could have drank it all night.

Although I recognize this is probably just some cheap crappy lager with added flavorings after the brewing process, and that it might not be much of a high-quality beer. . . I just seem to really like it. Its quite a nice treat in the late fall after Ive gotten bored with all the marzens and pumpkins, but not quite ready for the whopping winter ales. I have a strong feeling I'll be drinking this regularily, if once every fall could be considered that.

jasonpeckins32, Nov 11, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +33%

I'm not even drinking this out of the bottle yet, I've just unscrewed the cap, and the sweet apple nose is HUGE. Not cidery like the New Glarus Apple Ale, more syrupy, flirting with being cloying, but still pleasant.

Poured it into a glass and it's yellow with a thin white head and pretty good lacing. Looks quite boring.

The smell, though! Smells sweetly appley like before, but the glass allows the odor to expand and express a strong cinnamon character. Smells like apple pie. Divine, or pehaps just demi-divine, but still, surprisingly good considering this is Leinie's.

Tastes appley, obviously, but not quite as good or in the same way as the nose. While there was a strong cinnamon scent, making the nose seem apple pie-ish, the taste is more of straight up apples, or caramel apples. There's some welcome tartness to accompany the sweetness. Also has a toasted finish, but with a bit of astringency. Again, surprisingly good.

Throw in a creamy, slightly dry mouthfeel, and you have a shockingly drinkable fruit beer from Leinie's, heretofore known mostly for the large wooden paddle it, for some unknown reason, bestowed upon our store.

battlekow, Nov 03, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +32.4%

COLD
Pours a rather unappealing color (reminds one of a certain bodily fluid) with a sticky 1/2 head that hangs around for awhile. Smells great, kind of like apple juice.

Taste: If you are excpecting a "cider" you're in for a disappointment. This is definately beer, albiet an unusual one. Tastes like a macro light lager infused with apple, a little cinnamon, and maybe honey. Mouthfeel is nice and fairly lively. This an extremly drinkable beer.

HOT
I warmed some and dropped in a cinnamon stick and got an entirely different experience. Color same, got a monster head, but oddly not until I added the cinnamon. Some sort of chemical reaction? Smell actually can be a bit much when heated, becomes very kind of sour and pungent.
Tastes more complex, cinnamon makes the apple taste different, more like a cooked apple than a fresh one, honey flavor of the chilled beer gives in to a slight malt character. Pretty nice. I reccomend getting some of that Cinnebon popcorn to go with, pretty indulgent.

Also cooked with this beer and it was great! This beer is lots of fun to play with even if its not exactly a masterpiece. At a pre-tax price of less than 5 dollars a sixer, Lienies has never let me down.

JudgeRoughneck, Dec 09, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +30.8%

Picked up a sixer for $5.50 at Copps grocery store here in Madison. Can't be much worse than their Berry Weiss, I like apples, and saw that my comrade battlekow enjoyed it, so I figured I'd give it a go.

Pours an eerie cloudy white-yellow almost green, with a bubbly white head. Smell is baked, spiced apples, go figure, and not much else. This isn't a bad thing though, as it's not an artificial flavor. Not quite as fresh as New Glarus' Apple Ale, but surprisingly good from Leine's. Taste picks up with sweet apple juice and a solid cinnamon kick, maybe some caramel malt in the backbone. Again, surprisingly authentic and fresh-tasting. They claim to use a ton (2000 lbs) of apples and some 60 lbs of cinnamon in each batch and these two things certainly dominate the palate. Mouthfeel is bitingly crisp like sparkling cider. This is a sweet fruit beer, so most BAs would probably turn their noses, but it remains quite drinkable.

I tried their suggestion on the box and warmed up a bottle and found hot beer to be confoundingly tasty - like warm apple cider as you may imagine. The warm carbonation along with the alcohol has a strange biting and warming quality that would limit my consumption to one warm serving, but certainly worth trying if you have a few bottles of the stuff. It's less than $6/sixer around here, so what's your excuse?

Golden2wenty1, Nov 08, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +30.8%

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is perhaps one of my favorite brews of all time, so I had high hopes for the second sample from this company... The apple-spice factor is very unique, and upon opening the bottle, was greeted with a strong, sharp, apple-cider aroma that was really noticeable... Pours a yellow applejuice color with a tiny head that soon dissapates... carbonation is present... smell was wonderful... fresh granny smith apples bursting through... you either will love or hate the flavor, and to me, the taste was really awesome... not your typical "beer"... definitely something different... liked spiked apple cider... Light mouthfeel goes down like water with easy drinkability... good for a hot, summer day... wouldn't make this my single choice all night, but an interesting sample... Really liked it... Worth a try...

dsa7783, Jan 03, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +29.8%

Poured a hazy straw yellow with a half finger creamy white head that leaves minimal lacing. The aroma was of a strong spiced apple cider! The taste is definately spiced apple cider with just the right amount of sweetness. This brew gets even better if allowed to warm a bit as the apple flavor intensifies. I haven't tried this heated yet, but I am planning to. This is definately a treat beer that, while not for everyone, is definately one to try.

Tuey13, Apr 10, 2007

a74gent, Dec 18, 2011

KC9LDB, Feb 03, 2012

RievyRW, Dec 03, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A cloudy pour more in line with a wheat beer. Goes to show all apple ciders are not clear. Fair head retention for this type.

Definite apple cider, spice, cinnamon aroma. Let the Holiday season begin. This one needs to be smelled by the fireplace.

Not disappointed with the taste after the sensory experience. One of these days will have to drink heated and with a stick of cinnamon.

Light to medium feel in the mouth. Would probably improve with warmth and then could be contemplated while sitting around the fire spinning stories.

Would not want to consume several of these in one sitting but then we should drink responsibly anyhow. More of an occasion beer.

SMark, Nov 03, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +25%

It's been a long time since I've had this beer, and there's a chance nostalgia has influenced my opinion of it, but I always looked forward to this beer during the years it was in production. It had a very cider and cinnamon flavor and was crisp and easy drinking.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about it today if I had one now that my palate has developed, but it was a favorite back in my college days

Brams17, Yesterday at 04:15 PM
3.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Brewed with over 2000lbs of apples per batch. Brewed with wheat and pale malts, hopped with cluster. 4.92% abv. 208 calories per 12oz bottle. 1.5 grams of protein. Also brewed with cinnamon.

Pours to a slightly chill hazed light gold, forming a tall creamy white head with very good retention and a solid firm sheet of lacing. The aroma is very good. It smells exactly like hot spiced apple cider. I can't even tell it's a beer. The taste opens with a firm crisp apple cider bite, followed by a lingering sweetness, a touch of crackery wheat, then a very mild bitterness. The aftertaste is of distant cinnamon and apple juice. The mouthfeel is watery with a light delicate body and crisp carbonation.

Overall, this is not a shabby beer. It's a novelty, as I couldn't stand to drink more than two, but it does what it intended to do quite well.

Mitchster, Mar 02, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +22.8%

So here's the thing, Jake Leinenkugel and his beers came back out to SE PA. Kinda missed them since the late 90's. The first one I picked up was the Apple Spice.

This is a tasty beer with apple and cinnamon overtones. Very drinkable, with a crisp finish. The color pours nicely amber with excellent clarity. Light, faintly fizzy head. The mouth feel is excellent.

This is not a beer for those who do not want to try something different. I recommend holding this one for October.

garcia2a, Jun 10, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +22.8%

Went to my bar and they had a glass night where you buy the beer and keep the specialty glass. I thought what the hell.

Beer pours clear and yellow with only a hint of head and sparkle. You can smell the apples and spice from 3 feet away. It is a nice smell but intimidating to a hardened beer drinker. Mouthful is light. Taste is of McIntosh apple with pumpkin spice and a wheat yeast trailer. More like a witbeer with the oranges and corinader replaced. No hop finish at all which makes this very sweet and, yes, you can only have just one. I might gives this to my mother as she, a none beer drinker, might like it.

teg8612, Jul 20, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +21.8%

12 ounce bottle. Leinenkugel's Apple Spice pours out a clear yellow color with a small, white head. Sweet apple aroma, like a candy apple. A little bit of cinnamon in the aroma too. The flavor is dominated by the apple flavor. Sweet, but also a little tart, which I like. Very candy like. Behind the apple flavor, there is some grain. The grain flavor is just a little off, but it provides a beery flavor. Otherwise, this beverage is very unbeer-like. Light to medium mouthfeel. The drinkability is actually pretty good considering the sweetness. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I enjoy this beer.

beveragecaptain, Dec 17, 2005