Leinenkugel's Apple Spice - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: battlekow on 11-03-2005)

Imsothirsty, Jan 27, 2012

sweetpaulie73, Jan 01, 2012

allisonastra, May 21, 2013

rocklibster, Jan 16, 2012
1.35/5  rDev -56.7%

As other reviews have said this "beer" doesn't taste like a beer. It's more of a woodchuck/smirnof tasting thing. This alone isn't so bad as it's very sweet and light enough to drink. Then there is an awful after taste that I really can't describe. It's almost metallic but not. It's just awful. I can honestly say this is the only beer I've ever poured out after half the beer. It was just awful tasting.

bobhits, Apr 30, 2007
1.48/5  rDev -52.6%

Bottle Inspection: Nothing of use here, notes natural apple and cinnamon flavor. Indecipherable neck laser code let’s me know they don’t want me to know the date.

Aroma: Once I removed the cap from the bottle, I got a nice whiff of spiced apples at arms length before the pour, which was rather inviting! So I poured the glass and stuck my nose into it, only to get a big whiff of BABY DIAPER! There’s something very wrong there, and I’m afraid to taste it.

Appearance: Bright yellow with a fast fading white head that fails to lace.

Flavor: I really want to like this beer, but I can’t. It starts really well with a green apple taste that quickly goes from bitter to sweet baked cinnamon apple and stays pleasant for a good 3 or 4 count, before twisting into an artificial slightly rotten finish. No real beer flavors here to base all the alco-pop that this is trying so hard to be.

Mouthfeel: Light and bubbly, aka: yellow and fizzy.

Overall Impression: So sad. I love baked apples, and this “beer” gets there for a brief moment before becoming a train wreck. The rotten apple taste is growing as the “beer” warms. The baby diaper smell faded, but I still get little whiffs. I don’t know if this sample went bad, or if it’s old stock, but without a date: brewer takes the hit. Since this is new to Texas, I’m suspecting a dumping of old stock.

HardTarget, Dec 14, 2007
1.75/5  rDev -43.9%

I was very unimpressed with this Leiny offering. An extremely light pale yellow color on the pour. Small off whitish head. Smells strong on apples but it has this fakeness to it which throws me off. Flavor begins with that fake apply taste then turns super sweet and cloying instantly. Cinnamon and sugar come across in the finish. Terrible beer. Almost more like a very poorly made apple cider. A good beer for people who don't like beer.

granger10, Dec 17, 2005
1.75/5  rDev -43.9%

soccerfancooch, Jun 15, 2012
1.78/5  rDev -42.9%

This beer has some potential with the basic flavors. Leinenkugel's just did a poor job with the execution. It is a yellowish color with not much of a head. The nose has grainy malts and some spices. The taste is more of the same with a tart apple addition. Light over carbonated body. Not the best balance here.

rye726, May 26, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -41.3%

Very sweet, candy-apple taste. Really not very beerlike. This one doubles as a kind of ultra-sweet cider - maybe even sweeter than some of those sugary, naaasty 'fruit' malt-beverages. Smells like Glade air freshener and rather tastes like it, too. Easily makes a home at the bottom of the beer-wagon !

secondtooth, Jan 09, 2008
1.93/5  rDev -38.1%

Disappointing. Toured their brewery in Oct '05 & the Lienies staff was hinting ab this great new seasonal beer. My wife and I actually agreed on something...this beer was unacceptable.
A: OK, average, nothing impressive or stand out-ish.
S: Not impressive, almost a stale spice smell, an old Xmas decoration funk.
T: Unpleasant. I actually made a face (my wife told me). Was like a stale, cardboardy, spice, but
M: Average, nothing exciting
D: Again, not impressed. Didn't finish the one I had poured, and the remainder of the sixer sits in the 'fridge for emergency/desperation use only.

douglasmoran, Dec 26, 2005
1.93/5  rDev -38.1%

When I first heard about this beer, I was intrigued. I love apples, autumn, and beer. However, the sharp cinnamon notes in the nose and the taste were way overboard. This beer is pretty bad cold; very thin,sugary, and spicy. I've heard it's pretty good when it's mulled like cider, but really why should anyone have to do that to beer? All in all, a good beer to try just to try, but nothing to search out again, unless you're aching for a cavity.

keoki182, Jun 30, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -36.5%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass. The color is a moderate orangish color with a thin off white head. The nose is really just a combination of apple juice and a bit of a cinnamon. Both the nose and taste are quite a bit like Apple Jacks, but not in a good way. Feel is moderate and a bit gross. Cloying for sure. Drinkability is not good. I don't like this and I don't want more.

Thorpe429, Nov 12, 2010

TimMack, Mar 02, 2012

Raynae, Jan 01, 2013

bluerabbit, May 31, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -34.3%

Appearance: Light, stray yellow and very clear.

Smell: Aroma reminds me of Apple Jacks cereal, only more fake. Not pleasant at all.

Taste: Like beer mixed w/ cinnamon apple jacks. Not enjoyable for me. I usually like fruit beers, but this tastes almost fake to me.

Mouthfeel: Ok, but a little light for my taste. I would rate this average as compared to most light beers.

Drinkabilty: This beer is not for me. I normally like some fruit beers like Pyramid Apricot Weizen and others, but this is really close to undrinkable for me. Its not that it is too sweet or anything. The flavors just do not combine well in my opinion.

This may not be the worst beer I've had, but I definitely can't give it a very high rating. I think it is worth a try however during the autumn season if you like fruit beers. Otherwise, stay away from this one.

brewdoc75, Oct 24, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -31.7%

On-tap at Old Chicago Eden Prairie. This beer poured much lighter than what i was exoecting, a hazy gold color with a little white head. Smell was very sweet and appey, as was the flavor. The taste was reminiscent of so many fruit beers, with the uncontrolled sweet flavor of the fruit covering up the flavors that make a beer beer. Light grain, with very sweet apple cider flavors and some cinnamon, but it is easy to tell that this is not a well-made beer. A good transition beer for alcopop lovers.

TastyTaste, Nov 26, 2005
2.15/5  rDev -31.1%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into a wheat glass. I have no idea how long it has been sitting in my buddy's fridge, but I suspect longer than two years. Yikes.

A: decent amber color with a thick of-white head, the cap and lacing are still apparent.

S: apple pie.

T: apple pie.

M: light-bodied, watery to somewhat silky, crisp finish. Surprisingly not awful.

D: I do not like to drink apple pie. The considerable age on this beer actually did not seem to affect it that much. I am not heartbroken they discontinued this beer.

Erish, Jan 06, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -31.1%

Appearance - Crystal clear pale yellow. Soapy white head that retains pretty well. Not entirely sure what the base beer is for this, but this seems pretty light for anything but a macro light.

Smell - Wooh! Might be a few apples in this one. Apple scent dominates not only the beer, but the entire room. Overpowering and not completely authentic smelling.

Taste - Tastes like a lotta apples. Hardly any beer characteristics can be detected through the strong apple flavor. More on the apple juice side than the apple cider side. Quite sweet. Not unpleasant, but hardly a beer.

Mouthfeel - Thin, but probably appropriate for style. One could almost mistake this for apple juice with a hint of carbonation.

Drinkability - I'm not against this beer. In fact, its probably one of the best tasting brews Leine's makes and I could drink it all day (or until I got sick of the sweetness). It, however, is more akin to malternatives than fruit-enhanced beer. This beer is probably not directed at the beer drinker.

scaliasux, Dec 18, 2006
2.17/5  rDev -30.4%

Lets examine the concept of "spiced beers"...in many cases the word spiced is first in the description because the beer part takes the back seat. Like many pumpkin spice beers I have had, this brew tastes nothing like beer and a lot like pie: cinnamon and sweet apple. Usually requested my people who ask for bud light in a bottle. I love liene's but this beer is unsettling.

kickapoodude, Dec 01, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -27.9%

deanis30, Mar 19, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -27.9%

Beer poured a pale yellow with ample fluffy white head. It quickly receded to a small ring. The aroma was mostly apple, almost like apple cider. The taste is like a bad cider. Apples then spice then apples. I almost gave the beer a lower rating for the taste. This is a light bodied beer. I will not be getting this beer again.

Amdahl, Nov 24, 2005
2.33/5  rDev -25.3%

A- Pours a nice golden yellow color with a nice amount of head that stayed around for a while.

S- Smells just like apple juice very strong apple smell to it. Doesn't smell bad at all.

T- Also like apple juice or maybe cider. Tasted really sweet and a lot of sugar.

M- Pretty thin and maybe a little to much carbonation.

D- Suffers here due to it being way to sweet. Maybe one and that's it. I don't think I'll be picking up this one again. Just way too sweet for me. Did not taste a whole lot like beer to me.

nrbw23, Mar 19, 2008
2.38/5  rDev -23.7%

a dark golden color to it with a mild bit of carbonation seen running through it; smells a bit like a hard cider; maybe one of the english ones; taste is a sweet apple hint to it with bits of cinnamon flavor in it; taste is allright personally i think it is a bit watery for a beer; i could see it being something good to drink during thanksgiving since it gives one that fall flavors but it is very light; mouthfeel is pretty good as one feels light carbonation but nothing too harsh but i think a lot of that has to do with it being watery

jeonseh, Oct 27, 2007