Leinenkugel's Apple Spice - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: battlekow on 11-03-2005

1.38/5  rDev -56.2%

As other reviews have said this "beer" doesn't taste like a beer. It's more of a woodchuck/smirnof tasting thing. This alone isn't so bad as it's very sweet and light enough to drink. Then there is an awful after taste that I really can't describe. It's almost metallic but not. It's just awful. I can honestly say this is the only beer I've ever poured out after half the beer. It was just awful tasting.

1.46/5  rDev -53.7%

Bottle Inspection: Nothing of use here, notes natural apple and cinnamon flavor. Indecipherable neck laser code let’s me know they don’t want me to know the date.

Aroma: Once I removed the cap from the bottle, I got a nice whiff of spiced apples at arms length before the pour, which was rather inviting! So I poured the glass and stuck my nose into it, only to get a big whiff of BABY DIAPER! There’s something very wrong there, and I’m afraid to taste it.

Appearance: Bright yellow with a fast fading white head that fails to lace.

Flavor: I really want to like this beer, but I can’t. It starts really well with a green apple taste that quickly goes from bitter to sweet baked cinnamon apple and stays pleasant for a good 3 or 4 count, before twisting into an artificial slightly rotten finish. No real beer flavors here to base all the alco-pop that this is trying so hard to be.

Mouthfeel: Light and bubbly, aka: yellow and fizzy.

Overall Impression: So sad. I love baked apples, and this “beer” gets there for a brief moment before becoming a train wreck. The rotten apple taste is growing as the “beer” warms. The baby diaper smell faded, but I still get little whiffs. I don’t know if this sample went bad, or if it’s old stock, but without a date: brewer takes the hit. Since this is new to Texas, I’m suspecting a dumping of old stock.

1.8/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I was very unimpressed with this Leiny offering. An extremely light pale yellow color on the pour. Small off whitish head. Smells strong on apples but it has this fakeness to it which throws me off. Flavor begins with that fake apply taste then turns super sweet and cloying instantly. Cinnamon and sugar come across in the finish. Terrible beer. Almost more like a very poorly made apple cider. A good beer for people who don't like beer.

1.8/5  rDev -42.9%

This beer has some potential with the basic flavors. Leinenkugel's just did a poor job with the execution. It is a yellowish color with not much of a head. The nose has grainy malts and some spices. The taste is more of the same with a tart apple addition. Light over carbonated body. Not the best balance here.

1.86/5  rDev -41%

Very sweet, candy-apple taste. Really not very beerlike. This one doubles as a kind of ultra-sweet cider - maybe even sweeter than some of those sugary, naaasty 'fruit' malt-beverages. Smells like Glade air freshener and rather tastes like it, too. Easily makes a home at the bottom of the beer-wagon !

1.96/5  rDev -37.8%

Disappointing. Toured their brewery in Oct '05 & the Lienies staff was hinting ab this great new seasonal beer. My wife and I actually agreed on something...this beer was unacceptable.
A: OK, average, nothing impressive or stand out-ish.
S: Not impressive, almost a stale spice smell, an old Xmas decoration funk.
T: Unpleasant. I actually made a face (my wife told me). Was like a stale, cardboardy, spice, but
M: Average, nothing exciting
D: Again, not impressed. Didn't finish the one I had poured, and the remainder of the sixer sits in the 'fridge for emergency/desperation use only.

1.96/5  rDev -37.8%

When I first heard about this beer, I was intrigued. I love apples, autumn, and beer. However, the sharp cinnamon notes in the nose and the taste were way overboard. This beer is pretty bad cold; very thin,sugary, and spicy. I've heard it's pretty good when it's mulled like cider, but really why should anyone have to do that to beer? All in all, a good beer to try just to try, but nothing to search out again, unless you're aching for a cavity.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass. The color is a moderate orangish color with a thin off white head. The nose is really just a combination of apple juice and a bit of a cinnamon. Both the nose and taste are quite a bit like Apple Jacks, but not in a good way. Feel is moderate and a bit gross. Cloying for sure. Drinkability is not good. I don't like this and I don't want more.

2.04/5  rDev -35.2%

Appearance: Light, stray yellow and very clear.

Smell: Aroma reminds me of Apple Jacks cereal, only more fake. Not pleasant at all.

Taste: Like beer mixed w/ cinnamon apple jacks. Not enjoyable for me. I usually like fruit beers, but this tastes almost fake to me.

Mouthfeel: Ok, but a little light for my taste. I would rate this average as compared to most light beers.

Drinkabilty: This beer is not for me. I normally like some fruit beers like Pyramid Apricot Weizen and others, but this is really close to undrinkable for me. Its not that it is too sweet or anything. The flavors just do not combine well in my opinion.

This may not be the worst beer I've had, but I definitely can't give it a very high rating. I think it is worth a try however during the autumn season if you like fruit beers. Otherwise, stay away from this one.

2.13/5  rDev -32.4%

On-tap at Old Chicago Eden Prairie. This beer poured much lighter than what i was exoecting, a hazy gold color with a little white head. Smell was very sweet and appey, as was the flavor. The taste was reminiscent of so many fruit beers, with the uncontrolled sweet flavor of the fruit covering up the flavors that make a beer beer. Light grain, with very sweet apple cider flavors and some cinnamon, but it is easy to tell that this is not a well-made beer. A good transition beer for alcopop lovers.

2.15/5  rDev -31.7%

Appearance - Crystal clear pale yellow. Soapy white head that retains pretty well. Not entirely sure what the base beer is for this, but this seems pretty light for anything but a macro light.

Smell - Wooh! Might be a few apples in this one. Apple scent dominates not only the beer, but the entire room. Overpowering and not completely authentic smelling.

Taste - Tastes like a lotta apples. Hardly any beer characteristics can be detected through the strong apple flavor. More on the apple juice side than the apple cider side. Quite sweet. Not unpleasant, but hardly a beer.

Mouthfeel - Thin, but probably appropriate for style. One could almost mistake this for apple juice with a hint of carbonation.

Drinkability - I'm not against this beer. In fact, its probably one of the best tasting brews Leine's makes and I could drink it all day (or until I got sick of the sweetness). It, however, is more akin to malternatives than fruit-enhanced beer. This beer is probably not directed at the beer drinker.

2.18/5  rDev -30.8%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into a wheat glass. I have no idea how long it has been sitting in my buddy's fridge, but I suspect longer than two years. Yikes.

A: decent amber color with a thick of-white head, the cap and lacing are still apparent.

S: apple pie.

T: apple pie.

M: light-bodied, watery to somewhat silky, crisp finish. Surprisingly not awful.

D: I do not like to drink apple pie. The considerable age on this beer actually did not seem to affect it that much. I am not heartbroken they discontinued this beer.

2.19/5  rDev -30.5%

Lets examine the concept of "spiced beers"...in many cases the word spiced is first in the description because the beer part takes the back seat. Like many pumpkin spice beers I have had, this brew tastes nothing like beer and a lot like pie: cinnamon and sweet apple. Usually requested my people who ask for bud light in a bottle. I love liene's but this beer is unsettling.

2.3/5  rDev -27%

Beer poured a pale yellow with ample fluffy white head. It quickly receded to a small ring. The aroma was mostly apple, almost like apple cider. The taste is like a bad cider. Apples then spice then apples. I almost gave the beer a lower rating for the taste. This is a light bodied beer. I will not be getting this beer again.

2.4/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Pours a nice golden yellow color with a nice amount of head that stayed around for a while.

S- Smells just like apple juice very strong apple smell to it. Doesn't smell bad at all.

T- Also like apple juice or maybe cider. Tasted really sweet and a lot of sugar.

M- Pretty thin and maybe a little to much carbonation.

D- Suffers here due to it being way to sweet. Maybe one and that's it. I don't think I'll be picking up this one again. Just way too sweet for me. Did not taste a whole lot like beer to me.

2.42/5  rDev -23.2%

a dark golden color to it with a mild bit of carbonation seen running through it; smells a bit like a hard cider; maybe one of the english ones; taste is a sweet apple hint to it with bits of cinnamon flavor in it; taste is allright personally i think it is a bit watery for a beer; i could see it being something good to drink during thanksgiving since it gives one that fall flavors but it is very light; mouthfeel is pretty good as one feels light carbonation but nothing too harsh but i think a lot of that has to do with it being watery

2.55/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a pale straw yellow body that is very thin and translucent. There is a thin white cloudy head that is supported by a big carbonation of giant bubbles.

S- The note of sweet apples and perfurmy cinnamon is very sweet and smells like apple cinnamon candles.

T- This beer has a sweet cinnamon apple hard candy flavor wit a faint raw grain note as it warms. There is a very soft hop bitterness in the finish that blends with the hard candy note. As it warms there is more of a apple juice flavor and a faint cinnamon red hot candy note.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a fizzy finish that is pretty clean at the end.

D- This beer has a very artificial smell and flavor with not a lot of other flavors from malt or hops.

2.56/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured out a golden yellow color with a soapy, white, three-finger head. It actually left some sticky rings of lace.

S - It smelled of sweet granny smith apples. Its aroma was cider-like.

T - It really tasted like a cider. The spice taste was almost non-existent. It really tasted a little like a Hornsby's cider.

M - It was soft and smooth. A light-bodied beer.

D - It is called Apple Spice and the bottle says it is brewed with cinamon, but I really had to search to taste any spice or cinamon. It's basically a sweet apple cider.

2.58/5  rDev -18.1%

12 oz. bottle tried 1 Jan 2008.

Stark white medium sized head. Bubbly. Bright, clear, color of apple juice. Aroma of tart apples with hint of cinnamon. Quite sweet, somewhat appley. Light body. Light alcohol.

Basically tastes like Martinellis with a hint of beer.

2.65/5  rDev -15.9%

Medium greenish yellow, slight chill haze, small compact head of white color. Laces pretty well on the glass. Its aromatic and the smell travels, but its a lot like a sweet cider or even Apple Jacks cereal. Mouthfeel is lighter, carbonation prickly. A reasonable apple flavor starts out the flavor profile but its immediately undercut by a wallop of a sugary cinnamon note that's almost like a stool being kicked out from under it. Deteriorates from there, finishes with odd scratchy tones, pencil lead, and an anti-perspirant flakey flavor. Drank this one cold, I can't imagine the spice characters getting better on mulling, but I suppose it could be boiled down as a marinade for pork. This stuff is selling very well locally.

2.74/5  rDev -13%

Apple juice colored brew with a one finger head. Some white lace coats the glass.

Smells strongly of sour apples, cinnamon, cardamon, nutmeg, and allspice. The apple smell is mainly an artificial sour apple pucker scent. Not a whole lot like real apples, but smells very good. A nice late-autumn scent.

Tastes like delicious apple cider with loads of cinnamon and the other spices present in the nose. Somehow reminds me of AppleJacks cereal. The only down side is that the sugary artificial apple flavor can be a bit too sweet.

Mouthfeel is sugary, syrupy, and a bit overwhelmingly candy-like.
Drinkability suffers from this overly sweet and sticky character. Not bad especially for the price. A nice novelty beer for the fall.

2.74/5  rDev -13%

This beer poured a slightly cloudy golden pale color. It smells quite fruity (apples) and a bit astringent. The Taste is very sweet and as close to a tart apple pie as a beer could taste. The drinkability of this could be good in an appetizer type situation, but not something that you can sit back and enjoy for long periods of time.

2.74/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Its a bright light golden color but it is slightly cloudy. Very little head and no lacing.

S - Smells axactly like asour apple jolly rancher. The background has a all of the malt, but not to enjoyable.

T - There are strong tastes of cinnamonspice on this palette. The backgorund has all of the malts thought just like the aromas. Its very dry malt, biscut like. It tastes a lot like Mott's brand apple sauce.

M - It has avery dry sharp palette. Not easy on the tongue.

D - Its a once in a life thing. May be if it was a little fresher, or colder, it might be a little bit more palleteable.

2.86/5  rDev -9.2%

Had one at a buddy's house while playing poker. Served in an imperial pint glass.

Appearance -- Light, hazy, gold color with a nice, clean white head.

Smell -- Initial smell is pleasant . . . sweet apples. Take another whiff and it begins to smell like Apple Pucker. The smell is the most interesting aspect of this beer, but I wasn't overly impressed due to the artificial Pucker scent.

Taste -- Way too sweet and artificial tasting. From what I've read, the brewery uses fresh Wisconsin apples. That may be, but the taste doesn't feel natural to me at all. Berry Weiss is by far a superior tasting fruit beer. No comparison.

Mouthfeel -- Not bad. Medium feel to it. You can chew on it.

Drinkability -- I'm happy I had the opportunity to try this beer and happy that I didn't have to spend my own money to try it. The appearance and smell are intriguing, but they grow old real quick. Taste is artificial and overly sweet. It's kind of what I expected. I don't plan on having this beer again. If given the chance, I'd have to respectfully decline.

2.87/5  rDev -8.9%

Decided to try this after dinner on a saturday night.

12 oz. brown glass bottle with a very festive fall themed label.

When pured into a pint glass the color is a medium blond with a slight cloud . Very effervescent sparkly head with minimal or no lacing.

The nose is pure apple, with a hint of cinnamon. There are some citrusy aromas there but they are overpowered by the apples.

Flavor is damn near cider with hints of cinnamon which get stronger as the beer warms. Also some very faint lemony hop flavor as the beer warms to room temp.

Mouthfeel is light and very refreshing, these would go down nicely after a hot day working outside.

Overall impression is more like a cider than a beer...but does the recipe call for much of a beer flavor? I don't think so. The beer is very easy to drink, thus the hot day comment. However, as apple/spice flavored drinks are usually reserved for late fall or winter, I think I'd feel strange drinking this in the summer. Kind of like drinking a heavy port in August.
Worth a try if you want to break into the fruit/vegetable varietals.

Leinenkugel's Apple Spice from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company