Leinenkugel's Apple Spice - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: battlekow on 11-03-2005)
1.98/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass. The color is a moderate orangish color with a thin off white head. The nose is really just a combination of apple juice and a bit of a cinnamon. Both the nose and taste are quite a bit like Apple Jacks, but not in a good way. Feel is moderate and a bit gross. Cloying for sure. Drinkability is not good. I don't like this and I don't want more.

Thorpe429, Nov 12, 2010

Lightly dusty lemon that becomes bright amber when backlit. Unfortunately, there are no red delicious highlights. The cap is bright white and has much more character and stubborness than I remember any Leinenkugel's beer having. The surface is ruggedly pitted and a more than respectable amount of lace finds its way to the glass. It doesn't look at all apple spicy, but I'm impressed nonetheless.

The beer smells apple spicy; pleasantly so. I was worried that, as with many fruit beers, the flavors would be either too bold, not bold enough or too artificial. I'm happy to report that this one is just right in all respects. I wouldn't change a thing in terms of the aroma's character or aggressiveness. If the flavor follows suit, this will be my favorite Leinenkugel beer by a large margin.

It's not to be. Like the nose, the apple and cinnamon flavors ('natural' flavors according to the label) are well done, though on the palate it's much harder to isolate them from the base beer. The problem with the flavor (and it's an insurmountable problem) is that that base beer isn't up to snuff. It's grainy and tastes adjuncty, even if no adjuncts were utilized in the brewing.

The more I drink, the more I find that I don't like the (sweet rather than tart) apple flavor nearly as much as I like the aroma. I'm still convinced that a large part of it is the flavor provided by the malt. A little more cinnamon might have been used to cover some of the unpleasantness, but I'm not convinced that that would have resulted in a better beer.

I don't have much to say about the mouthfeel. It's light without being watery. On second thought, the finish *is* watery. My stomach is a pretty sensitive sweetness detector and it's telling me that the sugar content is greater than I originally thought (when using flavor as my guide).

Apple Spice started out promisingly enough. I thought for a while there that it might take the 'most favored' status away from Creamy Dark. It's a good idea and the flavorings are very nearly spot-on, but the entire enterprise was doomed to failure for the simple reason that the base beer just isn't very good. I haven't given up hope that a Leinenkugel's beer will impress me one day, but... who am I kidding? Yes I have.

BuckeyeNation, Feb 06, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Tough to put this beer in it's proper perspective. The 'beer' quality interferes with the cider character. The 'apple' quality interferes with the beer character. When it all settles out, the beer character seems a bit timid with the malt character and light hopping rates. The apple character is decorated nicely with cinnamon and other spices, but not as bold or melded as I had hoped. Combined, the beer starts out very cider-like, but soon fades into a lager-flavored brew and a lingering hint of cinnamon and spice. A sharp 'bite' in the finish keeps the beer from becomming as wonderful as it could be, but I would never turn it down because of the flaw. Nice and simple, as long as you don't think too much about it.

BEERchitect, Nov 04, 2006

jaydoc, Dec 14, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +44.2%

A monstrous thanks to TATURBO for a trade on this one. Ever since I came across this a bit ago I had been wanting to try it. I found this beer to be worth the wait and was very very happy to finally try it last night.

The beer poured as a nice looking light copper color, the head was foamy and white. Not much lacing but the head stuck around a for amount of time. The smell of the beer is like a delicious apple dessert of some kind. Really nice apple and spicy cinnamon on the nose. Doesn't smell like beer at all really and I can see why people won't like that. The taste was epic, full of fresh pressed apple flavors with a elegant amount of spice, really freaking tasty! The mouthfeel was light and had a good carbonation to it. Very drink I thought. Overall this beer has the potential to be the best Leinenkugel brew that I've had. The only thing is that I'll probably never see it again. It's safe to say that if I ever do see it, I'll be buying a good amount of it to hold onto.

Knapp85, Jul 01, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -2.2%

A novelty that i'm not all that impressed with.
I must say, it's worth a try if you enjoy ciders.

Fizzy yellow appearance, unremarkable with a typical macro look to it.

Aroma was dead on green apple jolly ranchers. Artificial yes, but with an edge of light cider yeast. Cinnamon is hard to pull out, but a spice is there once tasted. Tastes like an apple-cinnamon soda. Really no malt character whatsoever, and very little to signify that it's "beer" you are drinking, other than the label stating "flavored beer".

Fizzy and light, but the novelty wore off halfway through the bottle. Do yourself a favor, and try authentic cider instead.

emerge077, Feb 03, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured out a golden yellow color with a soapy, white, three-finger head. It actually left some sticky rings of lace.

S - It smelled of sweet granny smith apples. Its aroma was cider-like.

T - It really tasted like a cider. The spice taste was almost non-existent. It really tasted a little like a Hornsby's cider.

M - It was soft and smooth. A light-bodied beer.

D - It is called Apple Spice and the bottle says it is brewed with cinamon, but I really had to search to taste any spice or cinamon. It's basically a sweet apple cider.

zeff80, Dec 08, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Once again, Leinie's has brought out an interesting and drinkable beer that's fairly unique. It looks like apple juice and smells like sour apples (I hope that acetylaldehyde is added, and not just a product of poor brewing practice - joking, of course)! It's gently sweet, very apple-like, lightly malty, fairly tart, and just slightly bitter. The cinnamon comes and goes within the flavor, but always appears in the finish, but not necessarily in a good way. The cinnamon is what makes it unique though, otherwise it'd just be another apple ale. The fine bubbled carbonation is lightly crisp. It's refreshing, not overly sweet... tart/sweet... sweet/tart.... very apple-like as previously mentioned. I, personally, wouldn't want to drink more than one, but I could easily see it gaining a kind of cult-status. Worth trying to see.

NeroFiddled, Mar 01, 2007
3.13/5  rDev +0.3%

Appears honey golden hued with a white nice sized head leaves fine lacing down my pint. Aroma has a nice tart apple and cinnammon tones along with herbal hops and cereal grains. Taste is a bit ciderish in nature but that's excusable if there is actual apples or even apple extract involved in the brewing of this beer. To me the flavor came off pretty natural not too syrupy extract cloying factors along with the apple spice there is an evident grain sweetness and some herbal hop flavors with mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied carbonation is a bit spritzy stays on the palate a bit of residual sugars cause some slight syrupy textures. Drinkability, this isn't a beer to grab a sixer of but if you want to try apple in a beer it's interesting and I must say that Leine's pulls it off decently.

WVbeergeek, Feb 27, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +8.3%

This is another unique brew by the Leinenkugel family. I was a little bit impressed on how they could make an apple flavored beer. I got this from a friend and was quite shocked on how different, but tasty it was. I enjoyed it during a nice autumn evening.

Poured into a pint glass.

Color is a straw amber. It pours a near white head that doesn't last too long.

It definitely tasted like apple cider and beer combined.
Mouthfeel is very crisp.

Overall, I don't know how they did it, but this one is worth a try! However, I probably could only have a few of these.

mothman, Aug 12, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a pale straw yellow body that is very thin and translucent. There is a thin white cloudy head that is supported by a big carbonation of giant bubbles.

S- The note of sweet apples and perfurmy cinnamon is very sweet and smells like apple cinnamon candles.

T- This beer has a sweet cinnamon apple hard candy flavor wit a faint raw grain note as it warms. There is a very soft hop bitterness in the finish that blends with the hard candy note. As it warms there is more of a apple juice flavor and a faint cinnamon red hot candy note.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a fizzy finish that is pretty clean at the end.

D- This beer has a very artificial smell and flavor with not a lot of other flavors from malt or hops.

rhoadsrage, Nov 21, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +13.8%

This bottle is sampled due to the efforts of tsmthrs and Christmas in July Secret Santa BIF 2006.

Poured in the glass I have a slightly hazy yellow beer with a small white head.

Smell is apples and apple skins with pumpkin pie spices. I could almost say that this smells like mulled apple cider except the apple scent is much more like actual raw apples than cider or juice. If I closed my eyes I would swear that this is a fresh slice of Macintosh apple dipped in brown sugar and cinnamon. I am impressed about how fresh the apple scent is here.

Taste is sweet with a tartness to it like a slightly sour apple. Great apple flavor with a strong cinnamon flavor in the background. There is a fair amount of chalky yeast flavor here that makes me think that this is a variation of the Belgian witbier with apples and cinnamon as the spices instead of coriander and bergamot. No hops flavor or bitterness so far as I can taste. If this has a flavor flaw it is a bit on the sweet side, needs enough Nobel hops to tone it down a bit.

Mouthfeel is OK, maybe a bit light.

Certainly a drinkable beer but be warned, this is a quite sweet beer. More or less the mulled apple cider of beer, this would be great on a cold winter night warmed with a shot of rum added to coax you of to sleep.

Zorro, Jul 18, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured a cloudy light straw hue with a half finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a strong apple cider aroma with hints of cinammon.

The taste was upfront slightly tart apple cider with a mild cinammon spiciness. There were some champagne esters as well. A pretty solid doughy finish.

The mouthfeel was full with a coating sweetness and good carbonation.

Overall a pretty good beer. Unique and suprisingly drinkable.

plaid75, Nov 28, 2006
3.2/5  rDev +2.6%

Pale, light gold color. Slightly hazed. Airy, white head. Frothy and small. Nose is thick with sweet apples and cinamon. Actually smells really good. Better than most ciders I've smelled. Sweet apples mix with a grainy malt base to form a bit of an awkward overall impression. Seems like a honey type of dryness is present as well. When I think back to the Apple Ale from New Glarus, this one really doesn't compare. The slight grainy astringency just doesn't meld with all that apple sweetness. Light-medium body with an overall fizzy type of mouthfeel. Glad I found this as a singel cuz I wasn't about to get a sixer of this.

Bighuge, Dec 05, 2005
3.4/5  rDev +9%

12oz single, Riley's, consumed while watching the bears beat up on the rams during our weekly bears group meeting

appearance: consumed from the bottle but its clear watery body was not terribly missed

smell: distinctly and obviously apple cider spiked with some nice cinnamon...not much else on the nose, and thats fine

taste; for what it is, this thing is perefectly fine...syrupy apple cider taste with a nice cinnamon touch, finishes with some more ordinary lager/grain flavors than initially evident

mouthfeel: thin

drinkability: good

dirtylou, Dec 13, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -4.5%

Clear golden color with a medium thin and fizzy white head. Thin, spotty lacing. Great apple archard smell really goes with the season. Dry, crisp body with a cinnamon applesauce flavor that unfortunately does not live up to the smell. Tastes pretty much like an apple soda. The finish is dry, short and apple-y. If this were a candle I’d burn it, but I won’t drink it again for awhile.

Dogbrick, Dec 21, 2005
3.73/5  rDev +19.6%

Light lemony yellow, clear with some steady bubbles. Solid inch high bright white foam on top. Settles to a thick skim always present and a nice curtain of lace starts it off as it dwindles into inky strings.

Aroma is pretty nice with mushy brown apple parts, a bit of fresh redness and skins, pleasing little touch of cinnamon and sugar. A bit like the apple pies from McDonald's.

Taste is quite light, smoothingly crisp in its own sort of appley way, watery apple mix upfront, gets a partial sugaryness in the middle. The cinnamon floats in across the finish helping with a nudge of pie filling type mushyness and light doughy breadyness, which helps add some depth to this otherwise fairly average taster.

Feel is fairly smooth with a fair and favorable carbonation, not brisk nor too lively, body is a tender shade of lighter sided. But keeps a small push into some rounded malty sweetness behind the apple flavors.

Not a bad beer really. About what I was expecting out of Leine's. Drinkability is good, perhaps it could get a bit tiresome with the flavors after awhile. I found it to be a simple, well made brew that would possibly please any fan of apples or apple pie.

tavernjef, Dec 16, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +36.2%

aasher, Aug 10, 2012
3.23/5  rDev +3.5%

Mediocre pale gold color is saved by a wonderously large and retentive head and a decent haze.

Smells like apple spice cider and malt liquor. Not bad, surprisingly, thought not good. No complexity. Just candy sweetness.

Warm apple spice flavor upfront, mixed with cinamon, growing into sweet, tart apples in the middle, and then dying on a note of smooth adjunct grain. The whole product is strange. Not good, really, but certainly not bad. Just strange. Certainly puts me in a Christmas mood.

mynie, Nov 18, 2005
3.75/5  rDev +20.2%

This brew has a semi-cloudy, pale green color. The head is one finger in height, white and creamy. The aroma is quite pleasing. It is of green apples with a mild sourness. The taste is a lot like the aroma, but a bit sweeter. This beer has a lot more flavor than any other Leinie's beer I have had. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, well carbonated, and smooth. Overall, this is definately Leinenkugel's best brew.

KarlHungus, Jan 21, 2006
3.38/5  rDev +8.3%

Have to admit that I was a little disappointed to hear that this was a new Leinie's seasonal (what about a maibock or a schwarzbier or a good hefeweizen?), but curiousity and faith in Chippewa Falls have overcome my trepidation; I am splitting it with my wife!

Pours a surprisingly pale yellow to light gold. For some reason I was expecting an amberish concoction. Small, wispy white head settles to a ring. Charms Blow Pop sour apple flavor right out of the bottle. The thing is, I kind of like sour apple aroma. Cider, mild honey, and spice notes as well. Interesting. Spritzy, bubbly mouthfeel reveals sweet apples and apple sauce. Cinnamon apple sauce is probably most accurate. Light apple juice tartness, but not much. Cinnamon spice and sugary sweetness near the dried fruit and apple juice finish. Not bad. I would like to see a little more tart and dryness and a little less sweetness, but not bad. Light-moderate body. I don't think I could drink more than 12 oz. of this, but glad to see Leinie's do this well. It could have been awful!

alexgash, Apr 08, 2007
3.15/5  rDev +1%

Clear straw yellow with a nice pop of foam on top. Noticed the label said this was a flavored beer – ah oh.

Definite apple and cinnamon in the aroma, and in the quaff. In fact, a big presence of apple cider appeal with this one, with a piece of cinnamon pie tossed in the batch. Tad cloying with the sugared flavoring, but this might pair up with an apple pie with vanilla ice cream for desert. Good paired up, wouldn’t be a good stand-alone sipping beer.

Vancer, Dec 08, 2007
3.18/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance - yellow straw color, an initially two-finger white cap melts to a bare cover with some minor lacing. Disappears entirely after several sips.

Aroma - a burst of apple and grain out of the bottle. As it settles, some spicy cinnamon comes out. The apple/cinammon blend is not like any beer I've smelled before. It's good, like beerpourri.

Taste - whoa. Verrry sugary on the outset. Apple juice sweetness. Some basic grain flavor is present. Once my palate adjusts to the candy-like sugar level, the cinnamon comes through better. Like a sweet wine, the flavor is good enough but this is really too sweet.

Mouthfeel - just a bit on the weighty side with average carbonation. The sugary flavor makes the smoothness feel more like syrup.

Drinkability - looks and smells appealing, but the sweet level is prohibitive for sessioning unless you are really craving sugar. I probably won't revisit this one.

brewdlyhooked13, Mar 02, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Brewed with over 2000lbs of apples per batch. Brewed with wheat and pale malts, hopped with cluster. 4.92% abv. 208 calories per 12oz bottle. 1.5 grams of protein. Also brewed with cinnamon.

Pours to a slightly chill hazed light gold, forming a tall creamy white head with very good retention and a solid firm sheet of lacing. The aroma is very good. It smells exactly like hot spiced apple cider. I can't even tell it's a beer. The taste opens with a firm crisp apple cider bite, followed by a lingering sweetness, a touch of crackery wheat, then a very mild bitterness. The aftertaste is of distant cinnamon and apple juice. The mouthfeel is watery with a light delicate body and crisp carbonation.

Overall, this is not a shabby beer. It's a novelty, as I couldn't stand to drink more than two, but it does what it intended to do quite well.

Mitchster, Mar 02, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +13.8%

12 oz bottle. Pours a straw to light golden color with a small head that falls to a small island of film in the middle of the beer. Clarity is as good as it gets, and carbonation is not found making its way out of solution at all. Nose definately screams apple. Lots of sweet apple, with a hint of sourness, and a solid cinnamon spiceyness. This one delivers what it promises in the name. Flavor delivers a very apple juice-like sweetness and flavor, with the cinnamon spiceyness coming through very solid as well. There is really not a lot of the beer character making its way in the flavor. Mouthfeel is fairly thin, with a moderate carbonation that thins it out even more. This one is tasty, and I can see where it would probably benefit from being heated and served mulled. This is a beer I will bring to my in-law's house this coming winter for an evening in front of the fire, telling stories that will make my wife turn bright red. I like it.

kmpitz2, May 21, 2006