Leinenkugel's Apple Spice - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: battlekow on 11-03-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 127 | Reviews: 97

2.5/5  rDev -20.4%

4.51/5  rDev +43.6%

A monstrous thanks to TATURBO for a trade on this one. Ever since I came across this a bit ago I had been wanting to try it. I found this beer to be worth the wait and was very very happy to finally try it last night.

The beer poured as a nice looking light copper color, the head was foamy and white. Not much lacing but the head stuck around a for amount of time. The smell of the beer is like a delicious apple dessert of some kind. Really nice apple and spicy cinnamon on the nose. Doesn't smell like beer at all really and I can see why people won't like that. The taste was epic, full of fresh pressed apple flavors with a elegant amount of spice, really freaking tasty! The mouthfeel was light and had a good carbonation to it. Very drink I thought. Overall this beer has the potential to be the best Leinenkugel brew that I've had. The only thing is that I'll probably never see it again. It's safe to say that if I ever do see it, I'll be buying a good amount of it to hold onto.

2.18/5  rDev -30.6%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into a wheat glass. I have no idea how long it has been sitting in my buddy's fridge, but I suspect longer than two years. Yikes.

A: decent amber color with a thick of-white head, the cap and lacing are still apparent.

S: apple pie.

T: apple pie.

M: light-bodied, watery to somewhat silky, crisp finish. Surprisingly not awful.

D: I do not like to drink apple pie. The considerable age on this beer actually did not seem to affect it that much. I am not heartbroken they discontinued this beer.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass. The color is a moderate orangish color with a thin off white head. The nose is really just a combination of apple juice and a bit of a cinnamon. Both the nose and taste are quite a bit like Apple Jacks, but not in a good way. Feel is moderate and a bit gross. Cloying for sure. Drinkability is not good. I don't like this and I don't want more.

2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

12 oz. bottle tried 1 Jan 2008.

Stark white medium sized head. Bubbly. Bright, clear, color of apple juice. Aroma of tart apples with hint of cinnamon. Quite sweet, somewhat appley. Light body. Light alcohol.

Basically tastes like Martinellis with a hint of beer.

3.16/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a very pale color with some mediocre head.
Smells richly of apples. A very close smell to the apple scented candles.
Very sugary taste. A lot of artificial sweetener also, with the distinct taste of pre-boxed apple pie.
Interesting taste but the sugar keeps it from being sessionable and if too much is consumed, it might give you a stomach ache.

3.12/5  rDev -0.6%

I found my notes on this beer in my notebook and decided I should enter it onto this website, but first also state that I believe they have discontinued production of this beer. I say I believe because my wife relayed the information to me when she took a tour of the facility and while its not my first hand knowledge, its as close as it gets.

The beer. . . it pours a very pale gold in color with a cloudy look about it. Light foamy head. Very active prickle rises up through the center of the pint glass and breaks on the surface. The nose is distinctly apple as one would expect. Mild attack of apple with some late presentation of spices. The flavor flattens at the finish. There is something about the flavor that reminds me of pumpkin or squash. The beer starts crisp, but ends kind of flat. I am a little disappointed that they no longer brew this as I found it to go quite well when paired with a pork roast and some butternut squash. That is life.

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%

a: pours a hazy golden color with about an inch of white head that dissapears fast leaving a good amount of lacing on the inside of the glass
s: sweet apples and cinnimon
t: same as the aroma, kind of reminds me of apple pie
m: light bodied beer, similar to apple juice

overall, not a beer that ill buy for a beer experience but not a bad sipper in the fall either

3.4/5  rDev +8.3%

Pour is a light yellow with a frothy, white head. The aroma is red delicious apples, cinnamon and pumpkin. The flavor is really more of the same only a bit sweeter. I could not detect much of a hop prescence. Aftertaste is a bit more malty and somewhat long. Small bodied with lively carbonation. Decent beer if you are only going to have one beer.

2.19/5  rDev -30.3%

Lets examine the concept of "spiced beers"...in many cases the word spiced is first in the description because the beer part takes the back seat. Like many pumpkin spice beers I have had, this brew tastes nothing like beer and a lot like pie: cinnamon and sweet apple. Usually requested my people who ask for bud light in a bottle. I love liene's but this beer is unsettling.

3.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: Slightly hazy medium golden color, with a small, persistent white head, thick scattered lacing, slight streams of slow-rising carbonation.

Aroma: Quite pungent aroma of apples, seems to be a fusion of Granny Smith and Red Delicious varieties. Cinnamon notes are present, but are definitely secondary to the malt notes. Nothing in the aroma is suggestive of beer.

Taste: Strong wave of cinnamon and apple cider at the opening of the taste. The apples notes are predominately sweet, with some tart notes, rather like a Jonathan apple. As the taste progresses, there is a mild herbal hop presence, which moderates the sweet punch of the apples. The taste is disturbingly similar to the breakfast cereal Apple Jacks.

Mouth feel: Smooth and pleasant, soft.

Drinkability/notes: More like a cider than a beer, or perhaps a malternative. While its certainly not bad, there is little about this that reminds me of beer.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve ounce brown glass longneck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: It is a great gold color with a thin white head and average lace. The head does have a lot of staying power though

Smell: It has a strong apple cereal aroma. Very sweet and grainy.

Taste: it starts off sweet and tastes a little like apple jacks but then the flavor goes sour. It has a soapy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thin with a lot fizz burn.

Drinkability: Overall good

3.37/5  rDev +7.3%

This is another unique brew by the Leinenkugel family. I was a little bit impressed on how they could make an apple flavored beer. I got this from a friend and was quite shocked on how different, but tasty it was. I enjoyed it during a nice autumn evening.

Poured into a pint glass.

Color is a straw amber. It pours a near white head that doesn't last too long.

It definitely tasted like apple cider and beer combined.
Mouthfeel is very crisp.

Overall, I don't know how they did it, but this one is worth a try! However, I probably could only have a few of these.

1.96/5  rDev -37.6%

When I first heard about this beer, I was intrigued. I love apples, autumn, and beer. However, the sharp cinnamon notes in the nose and the taste were way overboard. This beer is pretty bad cold; very thin,sugary, and spicy. I've heard it's pretty good when it's mulled like cider, but really why should anyone have to do that to beer? All in all, a good beer to try just to try, but nothing to search out again, unless you're aching for a cavity.

3.24/5  rDev +3.2%

Found forgotten from the winter in a vegetable crisper drawer, poured into pint glass.

A: Poured nicely, nice looking light amber color. High carbonation.

S: I'm a cinnamon nut so I loved the smell of this brew, smelled like an apple pie

T and M: Unbelievably sweet, didn't know a beer could be this sweet Possibly a little too sweet with apple flavoring. I will admit I am a big fan of the apple but I was pretty impressed especially since some of the Leinenkugel offerings have left me underwhelmed.

D: I don't know if I would want more than a few at one time but I do look forward to buying a new six pack and drinking this in front of the fireplace on a cold winter night.

1.8/5  rDev -42.7%

This beer has some potential with the basic flavors. Leinenkugel's just did a poor job with the execution. It is a yellowish color with not much of a head. The nose has grainy malts and some spices. The taste is more of the same with a tart apple addition. Light over carbonated body. Not the best balance here.

2.4/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Pours a nice golden yellow color with a nice amount of head that stayed around for a while.

S- Smells just like apple juice very strong apple smell to it. Doesn't smell bad at all.

T- Also like apple juice or maybe cider. Tasted really sweet and a lot of sugar.

M- Pretty thin and maybe a little to much carbonation.

D- Suffers here due to it being way to sweet. Maybe one and that's it. I don't think I'll be picking up this one again. Just way too sweet for me. Did not taste a whole lot like beer to me.

3.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours very pale gold with a fizzy shortly lived white head. Smell is pretty nice actually, and smells like apples and cinnamon. Very cider like. Taste is similar and nice strong fresh green apples with a big hit of cinnamon and a corn like malt sweetness. Nicely carbonated, but a bit thin body-wise. Somewhat sweet, and not something I'd want a ton of, but a very nice guilty pleasure beer, and a nice Christmas beer to have around the Holidays. Would actually get this again occasionally.

3.85/5  rDev +22.6%

Brewed with over 2000lbs of apples per batch. Brewed with wheat and pale malts, hopped with cluster. 4.92% abv. 208 calories per 12oz bottle. 1.5 grams of protein. Also brewed with cinnamon.

Pours to a slightly chill hazed light gold, forming a tall creamy white head with very good retention and a solid firm sheet of lacing. The aroma is very good. It smells exactly like hot spiced apple cider. I can't even tell it's a beer. The taste opens with a firm crisp apple cider bite, followed by a lingering sweetness, a touch of crackery wheat, then a very mild bitterness. The aftertaste is of distant cinnamon and apple juice. The mouthfeel is watery with a light delicate body and crisp carbonation.

Overall, this is not a shabby beer. It's a novelty, as I couldn't stand to drink more than two, but it does what it intended to do quite well.

3.59/5  rDev +14.3%

A - Pours slightly more amber than a traditional pale ale, clear, and no active carbonation. Fairly dense white foam head rose about 1-inch tall, but dissipated quickly leaving a light covering.
S - Smells rich of apple cider and spice. Almost exactly like apple cider with a very light bread undertone. Makes my mouth water!
T - Wow! Apple cider all the way. Very sweet. Pretty much all you taste in the beginning, followed by a light bread finish and a very clean aftertaste.
M - Light carbonation. Refreshing and light feeling. Close to medium body.
D - I really think this is too sweet. Really overkill on the apple cider. It's very good, if this is supposed to be like a wine cooler, but I think it would eventually get too sweet. My wife loves it. This is a really good beer for date nights with the girl who doesn't like "beer".

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Leinenkugel's Apple Spice from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company