Leinenkugel's Apple Spice - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: battlekow on 11-03-2005

3.08/5  rDev -1.9%

A novelty that i'm not all that impressed with.
I must say, it's worth a try if you enjoy ciders.

Fizzy yellow appearance, unremarkable with a typical macro look to it.

Aroma was dead on green apple jolly ranchers. Artificial yes, but with an edge of light cider yeast. Cinnamon is hard to pull out, but a spice is there once tasted. Tastes like an apple-cinnamon soda. Really no malt character whatsoever, and very little to signify that it's "beer" you are drinking, other than the label stating "flavored beer".

Fizzy and light, but the novelty wore off halfway through the bottle. Do yourself a favor, and try authentic cider instead.

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

My good friend, Ivan Kluck brought a six pack of this Wisconsin native to my family's New Years Eve party. I think he only had one and left me the rest of the sixer. Thanks buddy.

Appearance - Golden yellow body with a fair amount of carbonation. The half-inch of pure white head tops an attractive brew.

Smell - Just pulling the top off the bottle releases the sweet aroma of apple and cinnamon.

Taste - It tastes like a carbonated apple and spice cider. This is a flavor that is firm and well defined. There is no beating around the bush. This beer's flavor is potent and solid.

Mouthfeel - The feel is good too. I was expecting something thicker but got a smooth brew with great character.

~ I will certainly recommend this to fellow beer lovers and anyone else. Jacob's crew has another winner. Nice work! In my humble opinion this beer is great for after dinner or lunch or breakfast.

1.86/5  rDev -40.8%

Very sweet, candy-apple taste. Really not very beerlike. This one doubles as a kind of ultra-sweet cider - maybe even sweeter than some of those sugary, naaasty 'fruit' malt-beverages. Smells like Glade air freshener and rather tastes like it, too. Easily makes a home at the bottom of the beer-wagon !

4.06/5  rDev +29.3%

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat is perhaps one of my favorite brews of all time, so I had high hopes for the second sample from this company... The apple-spice factor is very unique, and upon opening the bottle, was greeted with a strong, sharp, apple-cider aroma that was really noticeable... Pours a yellow applejuice color with a tiny head that soon dissapates... carbonation is present... smell was wonderful... fresh granny smith apples bursting through... you either will love or hate the flavor, and to me, the taste was really awesome... not your typical "beer"... definitely something different... liked spiked apple cider... Light mouthfeel goes down like water with easy drinkability... good for a hot, summer day... wouldn't make this my single choice all night, but an interesting sample... Really liked it... Worth a try...

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz brown bottle poured into a mug

Leinenkugels Apple Spice poured a light yellow/gold color with a two finger white head that held well. An inviting aroma of apple and spice is present. Taste is a tart green apple with a hint of cinnamon. The apple taste dominates with very little malt and hops detected. Mouth feel is light, with a fine fizzy carbonation and crisp finish.

Leinenkugels Apple Spice is cider/apple juice like. Not a bad beer – just not my preferred style/flavor for a beer.

I wonder how this beer would taste warmed? Will have to try.

1.46/5  rDev -53.5%

Bottle Inspection: Nothing of use here, notes natural apple and cinnamon flavor. Indecipherable neck laser code let’s me know they don’t want me to know the date.

Aroma: Once I removed the cap from the bottle, I got a nice whiff of spiced apples at arms length before the pour, which was rather inviting! So I poured the glass and stuck my nose into it, only to get a big whiff of BABY DIAPER! There’s something very wrong there, and I’m afraid to taste it.

Appearance: Bright yellow with a fast fading white head that fails to lace.

Flavor: I really want to like this beer, but I can’t. It starts really well with a green apple taste that quickly goes from bitter to sweet baked cinnamon apple and stays pleasant for a good 3 or 4 count, before twisting into an artificial slightly rotten finish. No real beer flavors here to base all the alco-pop that this is trying so hard to be.

Mouthfeel: Light and bubbly, aka: yellow and fizzy.

Overall Impression: So sad. I love baked apples, and this “beer” gets there for a brief moment before becoming a train wreck. The rotten apple taste is growing as the “beer” warms. The baby diaper smell faded, but I still get little whiffs. I don’t know if this sample went bad, or if it’s old stock, but without a date: brewer takes the hit. Since this is new to Texas, I’m suspecting a dumping of old stock.

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Clear straw yellow with a nice pop of foam on top. Noticed the label said this was a flavored beer – ah oh.

Definite apple and cinnamon in the aroma, and in the quaff. In fact, a big presence of apple cider appeal with this one, with a piece of cinnamon pie tossed in the batch. Tad cloying with the sugared flavoring, but this might pair up with an apple pie with vanilla ice cream for desert. Good paired up, wouldn’t be a good stand-alone sipping beer.

2.56/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured out a golden yellow color with a soapy, white, three-finger head. It actually left some sticky rings of lace.

S - It smelled of sweet granny smith apples. Its aroma was cider-like.

T - It really tasted like a cider. The spice taste was almost non-existent. It really tasted a little like a Hornsby's cider.

M - It was soft and smooth. A light-bodied beer.

D - It is called Apple Spice and the bottle says it is brewed with cinamon, but I really had to search to taste any spice or cinamon. It's basically a sweet apple cider.

4.19/5  rDev +33.4%

Tried this one on-tap tonight at a local pub. I'd had this from the bottle a few years ago, when they first came out with it. I thought it was decent then, but more of a niche-type beer that not a lot of people are going to appreciate.

On-tap, it pours the expected fizzy yellow color. Smells sweet and sugary, of apple pie filling, cinnamon, and cheap lager. For some reason, those same aromas come through also in the flavor, and well, its quite enjoyable. This was hands-down the most refreshing beer I tried all night, and probably could have drank it all night.

Although I recognize this is probably just some cheap crappy lager with added flavorings after the brewing process, and that it might not be much of a high-quality beer. . . I just seem to really like it. Its quite a nice treat in the late fall after Ive gotten bored with all the marzens and pumpkins, but not quite ready for the whopping winter ales. I have a strong feeling I'll be drinking this regularily, if once every fall could be considered that.

3.67/5  rDev +16.9%

I expected to do no more than tolerate this beer. It's not that I dislike fruit beers, although they're not my favorite (now, a nice tart lambic is a different matter), but after having tried several of the hard ciders, I had decided that after about age 3, drinking apples is unnecessary. It almost pains me to admit that I liked it!

I expected a darker beer, like a cider, rather than the pale yellow concoction that poured out. It had a big, frothy white head that quickly disappeared, with basically no hint of lacing left behind.

The smell caught my attention - there's really no hint of beer smell to it, just a sweet apple aroma. Not much smell of cinnamon. Definitely a sweet flavor, as well. Forget the hops, they're non-existent. The cinnamon is more noticeable in the flavor than the aroma, and if you allow it to warm, the cinnamon grows more pronounced. It's a pretty watery beer, lots of carbonation fizzing about, more than I would normally care for, but it seems to work here - keeps the sweetness from swamping the mouth.

I don't know that I could drink several of these, but I think it would pair well with food, especially with my Thanksgiving dinner, or maybe with dessert. In fact, I can very easily imagine turning this into dessert, poured into a glass with some ultra-premium full-fat French vanilla ice cream. Forget the root beer float, make it an Apple Spice beer float!

2.42/5  rDev -22.9%

a dark golden color to it with a mild bit of carbonation seen running through it; smells a bit like a hard cider; maybe one of the english ones; taste is a sweet apple hint to it with bits of cinnamon flavor in it; taste is allright personally i think it is a bit watery for a beer; i could see it being something good to drink during thanksgiving since it gives one that fall flavors but it is very light; mouthfeel is pretty good as one feels light carbonation but nothing too harsh but i think a lot of that has to do with it being watery

2.04/5  rDev -35%

Appearance: Light, stray yellow and very clear.

Smell: Aroma reminds me of Apple Jacks cereal, only more fake. Not pleasant at all.

Taste: Like beer mixed w/ cinnamon apple jacks. Not enjoyable for me. I usually like fruit beers, but this tastes almost fake to me.

Mouthfeel: Ok, but a little light for my taste. I would rate this average as compared to most light beers.

Drinkabilty: This beer is not for me. I normally like some fruit beers like Pyramid Apricot Weizen and others, but this is really close to undrinkable for me. Its not that it is too sweet or anything. The flavors just do not combine well in my opinion.

This may not be the worst beer I've had, but I definitely can't give it a very high rating. I think it is worth a try however during the autumn season if you like fruit beers. Otherwise, stay away from this one.

3.87/5  rDev +23.2%

So here's the thing, Jake Leinenkugel and his beers came back out to SE PA. Kinda missed them since the late 90's. The first one I picked up was the Apple Spice.

This is a tasty beer with apple and cinnamon overtones. Very drinkable, with a crisp finish. The color pours nicely amber with excellent clarity. Light, faintly fizzy head. The mouth feel is excellent.

This is not a beer for those who do not want to try something different. I recommend holding this one for October.

3.23/5  rDev +2.9%

I had this one last year and didn't care for it all that much
but...a six pack was 3 bucks so I picked one up

A - Pale medium orange color, almost hazy. Head is bright white and fades to a thin film. Lacing is left in thin strips.

S - A bit like a cider "gone bad" (or good), sweet and apple-y but faint overall.

T - Sugary sweet to start then into a bitter apple like taste, but not like a cider. Tastes more like an ESB with some apple flavor or a hard cider added; more beery than cidery. Kind of a strong bitter beer flavor.

M - Consistency is thin to medium and carbonation is slightly elevated.

D - I think I enjoy this more now than I did last year. It's not something I would go out of my way to drink, or even drink ever again, but it's not a bad beer.

Tried it yesterday mulled with cinnamon sticks and it was pretty okay. Gotta let it mull for a while though before you drink it to really get the cinnamon flavor in there. Overall I think I prefer it cold though.

1.38/5  rDev -56.1%

As other reviews have said this "beer" doesn't taste like a beer. It's more of a woodchuck/smirnof tasting thing. This alone isn't so bad as it's very sweet and light enough to drink. Then there is an awful after taste that I really can't describe. It's almost metallic but not. It's just awful. I can honestly say this is the only beer I've ever poured out after half the beer. It was just awful tasting.

4.07/5  rDev +29.6%

Poured a hazy straw yellow with a half finger creamy white head that leaves minimal lacing. The aroma was of a strong spiced apple cider! The taste is definately spiced apple cider with just the right amount of sweetness. This brew gets even better if allowed to warm a bit as the apple flavor intensifies. I haven't tried this heated yet, but I am planning to. This is definately a treat beer that, while not for everyone, is definately one to try.

3.49/5  rDev +11.1%

The appearance definitely was of a wheat beer and the aroma was overwhelmingly apple. I almost thought this was a cider. It smnelled very good, with hints of cinnamon and a very light malt. The tase was fresh and crisp. Sweet apples and cinnamon. It wasn't very cider-like, but more like a soda or beer cooler. The mouthfeel was agin crisp and carbonated. Drinkability is only average, since I really think this is more a cooler than a beer.

3.37/5  rDev +7.3%

Have to admit that I was a little disappointed to hear that this was a new Leinie's seasonal (what about a maibock or a schwarzbier or a good hefeweizen?), but curiousity and faith in Chippewa Falls have overcome my trepidation; I am splitting it with my wife!

Pours a surprisingly pale yellow to light gold. For some reason I was expecting an amberish concoction. Small, wispy white head settles to a ring. Charms Blow Pop sour apple flavor right out of the bottle. The thing is, I kind of like sour apple aroma. Cider, mild honey, and spice notes as well. Interesting. Spritzy, bubbly mouthfeel reveals sweet apples and apple sauce. Cinnamon apple sauce is probably most accurate. Light apple juice tartness, but not much. Cinnamon spice and sugary sweetness near the dried fruit and apple juice finish. Not bad. I would like to see a little more tart and dryness and a little less sweetness, but not bad. Light-moderate body. I don't think I could drink more than 12 oz. of this, but glad to see Leinie's do this well. It could have been awful!

3.52/5  rDev +12.1%

Once again, Leinie's has brought out an interesting and drinkable beer that's fairly unique. It looks like apple juice and smells like sour apples (I hope that acetylaldehyde is added, and not just a product of poor brewing practice - joking, of course)! It's gently sweet, very apple-like, lightly malty, fairly tart, and just slightly bitter. The cinnamon comes and goes within the flavor, but always appears in the finish, but not necessarily in a good way. The cinnamon is what makes it unique though, otherwise it'd just be another apple ale. The fine bubbled carbonation is lightly crisp. It's refreshing, not overly sweet... tart/sweet... sweet/tart.... very apple-like as previously mentioned. I, personally, wouldn't want to drink more than one, but I could easily see it gaining a kind of cult-status. Worth trying to see.

4.42/5  rDev +40.8%

Poured into pilsner glass producing a nice two-fingered bright white meringue head upon an extremely pale straw yellow beer. Not a lot of retention to the head, but nice lacing is left behind. Moderately carbonated, higher carbonation might suit better, however could make it to sparkling cider-like.

Huge nose is very applely and sweet with a raw malt touch in the background. There is a real cider nose to the beer with the cinnimon just detectable in taste and smell. There is a faint malt undertone that slightly balances and accents. No hop character is present as expected. There is a green apple bitter/sourness and a red apple sweetness that is nicely balanced in the nose and taste.

The taste is as I expected from the nose, but more sweet. My mouth not just taste apples it really feels as though I am ingesting an apple product. Though it could be more beery this is an excellent example of a fruit style beer.

Matching perfectly with the beer the mouthfeel even has the slight thickness and graininess there is in unfiltered apple juice; and the carbonation is just right for the beer as well.

The drinkability is much better than I thought it was going to be. Would be good paired with food especially a slightly sweet apple dessert like a cobbler or crisp.

I really like this beer, and think it is a great example of the style. It showcases what it claims to be and does it well. I could not drink it alot but in the right conditions it is a great brew. No Validity Date.

3.12/5  rDev -0.6%

Aggressive apple bouquet from a foot away when opened, but is quickly lost. Settles revealing a mild cinnamon. Pours clear pale yellow with a half finger white head that fades to the surface. Effervescent, light mouth feel. Equally light sweet apple flavor with a hint of cinnamon. Reminds me of a wine cooler. My wife might ask for it.

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

Appearance is good, golden in color, with not a lot of head but some decent lacing.
Smell is good, apples and cinamon smell, not much else going on
Taste is like breakfast apples, with a bit of sweet candy malt at the end.
Mouthfeel is creamy.
Drinkability is good, but one is enough, you might get sick after that.

2.74/5  rDev -12.7%

This beer poured a slightly cloudy golden pale color. It smells quite fruity (apples) and a bit astringent. The Taste is very sweet and as close to a tart apple pie as a beer could taste. The drinkability of this could be good in an appetizer type situation, but not something that you can sit back and enjoy for long periods of time.

2.15/5  rDev -31.5%

Appearance - Crystal clear pale yellow. Soapy white head that retains pretty well. Not entirely sure what the base beer is for this, but this seems pretty light for anything but a macro light.

Smell - Wooh! Might be a few apples in this one. Apple scent dominates not only the beer, but the entire room. Overpowering and not completely authentic smelling.

Taste - Tastes like a lotta apples. Hardly any beer characteristics can be detected through the strong apple flavor. More on the apple juice side than the apple cider side. Quite sweet. Not unpleasant, but hardly a beer.

Mouthfeel - Thin, but probably appropriate for style. One could almost mistake this for apple juice with a hint of carbonation.

Drinkability - I'm not against this beer. In fact, its probably one of the best tasting brews Leine's makes and I could drink it all day (or until I got sick of the sweetness). It, however, is more akin to malternatives than fruit-enhanced beer. This beer is probably not directed at the beer drinker.

3.44/5  rDev +9.6%

12oz single, Riley's, consumed while watching the bears beat up on the rams during our weekly bears group meeting

appearance: consumed from the bottle but its clear watery body was not terribly missed

smell: distinctly and obviously apple cider spiked with some nice cinnamon...not much else on the nose, and thats fine

taste; for what it is, this thing is perefectly fine...syrupy apple cider taste with a nice cinnamon touch, finishes with some more ordinary lager/grain flavors than initially evident

mouthfeel: thin

drinkability: good