Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Leinenkugel's Apple Spice - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Apple SpiceLeinenkugel's Apple Spice

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: battlekow on 11-03-2005

3.07/5  rDev -4.1%

Tough to put this beer in it's proper perspective. The 'beer' quality interferes with the cider character. The 'apple' quality interferes with the beer character. When it all settles out, the beer character seems a bit timid with the malt character and light hopping rates. The apple character is decorated nicely with cinnamon and other spices, but not as bold or melded as I had hoped. Combined, the beer starts out very cider-like, but soon fades into a lager-flavored brew and a lingering hint of cinnamon and spice. A sharp 'bite' in the finish keeps the beer from becomming as wonderful as it could be, but I would never turn it down because of the flaw. Nice and simple, as long as you don't think too much about it. (723 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A cloudy pour more in line with a wheat beer. Goes to show all apple ciders are not clear. Fair head retention for this type.

Definite apple cider, spice, cinnamon aroma. Let the Holiday season begin. This one needs to be smelled by the fireplace.

Not disappointed with the taste after the sensory experience. One of these days will have to drink heated and with a stick of cinnamon.

Light to medium feel in the mouth. Would probably improve with warmth and then could be contemplated while sitting around the fire spinning stories.

Would not want to consume several of these in one sitting but then we should drink responsibly anyhow. More of an occasion beer. (673 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -14.4%

Apple juice colored brew with a one finger head. Some white lace coats the glass.

Smells strongly of sour apples, cinnamon, cardamon, nutmeg, and allspice. The apple smell is mainly an artificial sour apple pucker scent. Not a whole lot like real apples, but smells very good. A nice late-autumn scent.

Tastes like delicious apple cider with loads of cinnamon and the other spices present in the nose. Somehow reminds me of AppleJacks cereal. The only down side is that the sugary artificial apple flavor can be a bit too sweet.

Mouthfeel is sugary, syrupy, and a bit overwhelmingly candy-like.
Drinkability suffers from this overly sweet and sticky character. Not bad especially for the price. A nice novelty beer for the fall. (738 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +15.9%

Smell is grreat. Quite a strong smell of cinnamon and apple. If only the tast was anywhere near as strong; very faint apple/cinnamon I guess. But also the drinkability is very good, since this stuff 'il go down like water. Would not mind drinking again but I probably would never buy again. (290 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +33.4%

This is my favorite offfering from this brewery. I have alway's enjoyed other Leinies but this is truly a first -rate beer. I am not a fruit beer person but this is clean, crisp, with a intoxicating Apple smell and a taste that is not too sweet or sugary. It pours a clean apple like color with just the right amount of head. Great for the cool fall nights or a Sunday afternoon watching the NFL from your lazy-boy. I know I'm going to stash a couple cases away before it's seasonal run is over. YUM!!! (502 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance is a pale straw, somewhat cloudy. Head is white, subsides to a thin layer quickly, but stays on the glass.

Definite apple aroma, not much else. Some VERY light hop aroma.

Tastes almost like a hard cider. No discernable hop flavor, strong red-apple flavor. Some spice, but I didn't pick up much.

Light-bodied, lightly carbed.

Overall, better than I expected, but I won't seek it out. Might be tasty on a fall evening in front of a fire.

*EDIT* As it warmed up, the spice notes became more prominent. (524 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +20%

Went to my bar and they had a glass night where you buy the beer and keep the specialty glass. I thought what the hell.

Beer pours clear and yellow with only a hint of head and sparkle. You can smell the apples and spice from 3 feet away. It is a nice smell but intimidating to a hardened beer drinker. Mouthful is light. Taste is of McIntosh apple with pumpkin spice and a wheat yeast trailer. More like a witbeer with the oranges and corinader replaced. No hop finish at all which makes this very sweet and, yes, you can only have just one. I might gives this to my mother as she, a none beer drinker, might like it. (621 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +11.6%

This bottle is sampled due to the efforts of tsmthrs and Christmas in July Secret Santa BIF 2006.

Poured in the glass I have a slightly hazy yellow beer with a small white head.

Smell is apples and apple skins with pumpkin pie spices. I could almost say that this smells like mulled apple cider except the apple scent is much more like actual raw apples than cider or juice. If I closed my eyes I would swear that this is a fresh slice of Macintosh apple dipped in brown sugar and cinnamon. I am impressed about how fresh the apple scent is here.

Taste is sweet with a tartness to it like a slightly sour apple. Great apple flavor with a strong cinnamon flavor in the background. There is a fair amount of chalky yeast flavor here that makes me think that this is a variation of the Belgian witbier with apples and cinnamon as the spices instead of coriander and bergamot. No hops flavor or bitterness so far as I can taste. If this has a flavor flaw it is a bit on the sweet side, needs enough Nobel hops to tone it down a bit.

Mouthfeel is OK, maybe a bit light.

Certainly a drinkable beer but be warned, this is a quite sweet beer. More or less the mulled apple cider of beer, this would be great on a cold winter night warmed with a shot of rum added to coax you of to sleep. (1,294 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +10.9%

12 oz bottle. Pours a straw to light golden color with a small head that falls to a small island of film in the middle of the beer. Clarity is as good as it gets, and carbonation is not found making its way out of solution at all. Nose definately screams apple. Lots of sweet apple, with a hint of sourness, and a solid cinnamon spiceyness. This one delivers what it promises in the name. Flavor delivers a very apple juice-like sweetness and flavor, with the cinnamon spiceyness coming through very solid as well. There is really not a lot of the beer character making its way in the flavor. Mouthfeel is fairly thin, with a moderate carbonation that thins it out even more. This one is tasty, and I can see where it would probably benefit from being heated and served mulled. This is a beer I will bring to my in-law's house this coming winter for an evening in front of the fire, telling stories that will make my wife turn bright red. I like it. (949 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +9.1%

Sampled Leine's Apple Sprice for breakfast @ 50 - 65°F Clear pale yellow pour with breif 30 second white head and fleeting lace. Beading from the stem of the New Belgium 0.4 L rastal for the duration suggests good carbonation. Highly aromatic like a warehouse of Golden delicious stacked in boxes thirty feet high waiting to be shipped to market. Sweet and apple spice flavor and round mouthfeel. Very drinkable at 50°F at room temp less so but necessary to find those hidden qualities. Finishes more neutral than dry as the sweet apple flavors fade to minor hints of grain and bittering hops.

Rest of the two cases from Corral Liquors headed to Big Love and friends in Louisianna. This is not something that I would normally try but I had to do a little quality check. Little bitterness in the aftertaste this is all about the apple flavors. Its actually worth trying and I would enjoy talking with the brewmaster about its construction. (943 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance - yellow straw color, an initially two-finger white cap melts to a bare cover with some minor lacing. Disappears entirely after several sips.

Aroma - a burst of apple and grain out of the bottle. As it settles, some spicy cinnamon comes out. The apple/cinammon blend is not like any beer I've smelled before. It's good, like beerpourri.

Taste - whoa. Verrry sugary on the outset. Apple juice sweetness. Some basic grain flavor is present. Once my palate adjusts to the candy-like sugar level, the cinnamon comes through better. Like a sweet wine, the flavor is good enough but this is really too sweet.

Mouthfeel - just a bit on the weighty side with average carbonation. The sugary flavor makes the smoothness feel more like syrup.

Drinkability - looks and smells appealing, but the sweet level is prohibitive for sessioning unless you are really craving sugar. I probably won't revisit this one. (920 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -1.6%

Appears honey golden hued with a white nice sized head leaves fine lacing down my pint. Aroma has a nice tart apple and cinnammon tones along with herbal hops and cereal grains. Taste is a bit ciderish in nature but that's excusable if there is actual apples or even apple extract involved in the brewing of this beer. To me the flavor came off pretty natural not too syrupy extract cloying factors along with the apple spice there is an evident grain sweetness and some herbal hop flavors with mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied carbonation is a bit spritzy stays on the palate a bit of residual sugars cause some slight syrupy textures. Drinkability, this isn't a beer to grab a sixer of but if you want to try apple in a beer it's interesting and I must say that Leine's pulls it off decently. (806 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Its a bright light golden color but it is slightly cloudy. Very little head and no lacing.

S - Smells axactly like asour apple jolly rancher. The background has a all of the malt, but not to enjoyable.

T - There are strong tastes of cinnamonspice on this palette. The backgorund has all of the malts thought just like the aromas. Its very dry malt, biscut like. It tastes a lot like Mott's brand apple sauce.

M - It has avery dry sharp palette. Not easy on the tongue.

D - Its a once in a life thing. May be if it was a little fresher, or colder, it might be a little bit more palleteable. (608 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -4.1%

Lightly dusty lemon that becomes bright amber when backlit. Unfortunately, there are no red delicious highlights. The cap is bright white and has much more character and stubborness than I remember any Leinenkugel's beer having. The surface is ruggedly pitted and a more than respectable amount of lace finds its way to the glass. It doesn't look at all apple spicy, but I'm impressed nonetheless.

The beer smells apple spicy; pleasantly so. I was worried that, as with many fruit beers, the flavors would be either too bold, not bold enough or too artificial. I'm happy to report that this one is just right in all respects. I wouldn't change a thing in terms of the aroma's character or aggressiveness. If the flavor follows suit, this will be my favorite Leinenkugel beer by a large margin.

It's not to be. Like the nose, the apple and cinnamon flavors ('natural' flavors according to the label) are well done, though on the palate it's much harder to isolate them from the base beer. The problem with the flavor (and it's an insurmountable problem) is that that base beer isn't up to snuff. It's grainy and tastes adjuncty, even if no adjuncts were utilized in the brewing.

The more I drink, the more I find that I don't like the (sweet rather than tart) apple flavor nearly as much as I like the aroma. I'm still convinced that a large part of it is the flavor provided by the malt. A little more cinnamon might have been used to cover some of the unpleasantness, but I'm not convinced that that would have resulted in a better beer.

I don't have much to say about the mouthfeel. It's light without being watery. On second thought, the finish *is* watery. My stomach is a pretty sensitive sweetness detector and it's telling me that the sugar content is greater than I originally thought (when using flavor as my guide).

Apple Spice started out promisingly enough. I thought for a while there that it might take the 'most favored' status away from Creamy Dark. It's a good idea and the flavorings are very nearly spot-on, but the entire enterprise was doomed to failure for the simple reason that the base beer just isn't very good. I haven't given up hope that a Leinenkugel's beer will impress me one day, but... who am I kidding? Yes I have. (2,254 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Hmmmm... Apple Beer? This is as close as it gets to breeding a malternative with a beer as were gonna get. Pours out to a lightly hazy, bright yellow / gold color with a vigorus head that quickly calmed to nearly nothing. Lace was present and abundant. Medium level of carbonation. Aromas of granny smith apples and the essence of a cider mill. Nice. Taste was... unique. I'll give it that. Initial sweetness of sugar and apples gives way to a light maltiness and a sour lambic like finish. Not bad, but too abrasive to be "good", per se. Mouthfeel was like carbonation juice. Nothing of real substance or noteability. Drinkability would is pretty good, but I'd like this mostly in the fall months. A pretty good seasonal offering. Give it a try at different tempratures, and you'll get different results. (805 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +11.9%

pours out a cloudy light golden colour with a fluffy egg shell white head which stays and sticks in a lot of nice looking lace. fresh apple aroma dominates and is nicely accentuated with a cinnamon flair. some light maltiness is also present if one so chooses to sniff it out. this concoction is very cider like in the taste department...a touch of cinnamon rounds it out. any malt and beery flavours are dominated out of the arena, but it comes across as a beer nonetheless. i was pretty skeptical at first expecting some sweet malt beverage like brew as per their honey and berryweiss offerings, but this is ok in my book. it has a nice, if not a bit syrupy, carbonated mouthfeel. the body comes across rather in line with a brew of this nature....just about right for me. of course the drinkability suffers a bit as i'm sure too many of these would become cloying after awhile.

i think a six pack a year in late fall harvest season or the holiday season would suffice for a change of pace. especially in the northland. i think i'll try mulling some and see how that tastes. (1,080 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -10.3%

Decided to try this after dinner on a saturday night.

12 oz. brown glass bottle with a very festive fall themed label.

When pured into a pint glass the color is a medium blond with a slight cloud . Very effervescent sparkly head with minimal or no lacing.

The nose is pure apple, with a hint of cinnamon. There are some citrusy aromas there but they are overpowered by the apples.

Flavor is damn near cider with hints of cinnamon which get stronger as the beer warms. Also some very faint lemony hop flavor as the beer warms to room temp.

Mouthfeel is light and very refreshing, these would go down nicely after a hot day working outside.

Overall impression is more like a cider than a beer...but does the recipe call for much of a beer flavor? I don't think so. The beer is very easy to drink, thus the hot day comment. However, as apple/spice flavored drinks are usually reserved for late fall or winter, I think I'd feel strange drinking this in the summer. Kind of like drinking a heavy port in August.
Worth a try if you want to break into the fruit/vegetable varietals. (1,095 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +53.1%

Leinenkugel has done it again in my opinion.. Nice color.. the smell.. man the smell is awesome.. u can smell the apples and cinamon.. As far as the taste.. A+ it doesnt really taste like a cider draft.. it taste like a apple flavor beer, with a cinnamon after taste.. If u like apples u will really enjoy this beer.. Ive had the bottle and the tap.. they are both excellent, but if u get a chance to try on tap. Go for it.. (424 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +17.8%

This brew has a semi-cloudy, pale green color. The head is one finger in height, white and creamy. The aroma is quite pleasing. It is of green apples with a mild sourness. The taste is a lot like the aroma, but a bit sweeter. This beer has a lot more flavor than any other Leinie's beer I have had. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, well carbonated, and smooth. Overall, this is definately Leinenkugel's best brew. (412 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this at a bar, poured into a mug with good head, light amber color. Smells of apples (go fig) and cinnamon and other such spice. Pretty decent. And when I tasted it, I thought it was more a hard apple cider than a beer. Which isn't bad, because I like a good cider, but this was just a little odd, and a little too much apple for my liking. Glad i only had to buy one. Plenty springy on the tongue, a little syrupy I guess, but all together pretty decent. (459 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +3.4%

A buddy of mine from work gave this to me after he said he didn't like it. "Here this tastes like crap, why don't YOU drink it"....lol

It poured pale light yellow with no head. It looked like a bud the minute I poured it.
Aroma's of apples and cinnamon reached my nose I it was pleasent. Along the same lines as Dogbrick, "if it was a canle, I'd burn it".
The taste was way too sweet and syrupy. It was like a malt beverage from the likes of Bartles and James. Too much apple and cinnamon not enough beer.
Felt very carbonated like champagne and was just too much for me so I gave to my wife who enjoyed the rest.
If I'm offered this I'd drink it again but I doubt I'll ever buy it. (689 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -38.8%

Disappointing. Toured their brewery in Oct '05 & the Lienies staff was hinting ab this great new seasonal beer. My wife and I actually agreed on something...this beer was unacceptable.
A: OK, average, nothing impressive or stand out-ish.
S: Not impressive, almost a stale spice smell, an old Xmas decoration funk.
T: Unpleasant. I actually made a face (my wife told me). Was like a stale, cardboardy, spice, but
M: Average, nothing exciting
D: Again, not impressed. Didn't finish the one I had poured, and the remainder of the sixer sits in the 'fridge for emergency/desperation use only. (594 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -7.5%

It poured an active golden clear brew with a good size, soft pillow like, white head. Good carbonation as the glass remains very active while little to no fizz was noticed.
The aroma was of fresh apple cider. The taste broke it down as sour apple, cinnamon, orange peel and spice.
The mouthfeel was soft as a slight dry finish was left.
This is something you would have to be in the mood for. (395 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -5%

Clear golden color with a medium thin and fizzy white head. Thin, spotty lacing. Great apple archard smell really goes with the season. Dry, crisp body with a cinnamon applesauce flavor that unfortunately does not live up to the smell. Tastes pretty much like an apple soda. The finish is dry, short and apple-y. If this were a candle I’d burn it, but I won’t drink it again for awhile. (388 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -0.9%

Got this on tap at The Barryland Pub. It was a golden brew. It had no head. It made no lace. It was not very bubbly. The smell was of apple and cinnamon. A bit like cheap wine. The flavour was apple and cinnamon. With a bit of cheap wine thrown in. It was really much too sweet for my liking. Light in body. I am fairly sure this beer was not developed for a target group of people like me. One serving at most. Maybe one split between me and some skank. Just not my cup of apple flavoured chick juice. It was free though. (522 characters)

Leinenkugel's Apple Spice from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company