Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-16-2006

Belgian Wit in style, but brewed with a lager yeast strain and a top-note of blueberry added (info directly from the Leinenkugel Bros).
to view more.
Ratings: 2,224 | Reviews: 893
4.6/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fruity, light white, fruit loop after taste

2.95/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Love wits not berries. Berry taste dominates

2.45/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Not impressed by this beer at all.

4.49/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer tastes like fruity pebbles. Usually that may be a bad thing but for some reason it works. Great in the summer time!!

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Great summer beer, it offers great citrus-y overtones. Has a smell and taste of Fruit Loops or Fruity Pebbles, which may sound weird but it is actually very refreshing and easy to drink on a hot summer day

I actually bought this by accident. I meant to get Leinenkugel's Octoberfest and this just happened to be in the wrong spot, but I didn't notice until I got home because the packaging color is the same. I usually like wheat beers, but this was pretty awful in my opinion. This is one of only two beers that I haven't been able to finish. (Which is saying something because if I start drinking a beer, regardless of it's my favorite or not, I'm going to try my best to finish it).

4.46/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great summer beer. My favorite offering from Leinenkugels.

4.27/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a great brew. It smells and tastes very similar to Fruity Pebbles, which may sound strange but it is very good. This is one of only two wheat ales I've had (the other being Blue Moon) and I vastly prefer this one.

4.39/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

What a gem of a beer, great taste and amazing aroma.

2.55/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

very nostalgic beer for me

1.6/5  rDev -52.4%

For me it's horrible. No way!!!!

4.33/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of my secret beers I have always loved! They got the blueberry smell and tase just right. Like fruity Pebbles cereal.

4.23/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Blueberry taste was really enjoyable. Really underrated beer.

4.81/5  rDev +43.2%

My Favorite Beer

This has been my favorite beer for about the past six months. I had a really, really lousy night last night and decided to pick up some of this on my way home. I poured some in a glass and unwound listening to some Albert King. I've got the other five bottles waiting for me at home now.

This is brewed by a small family-owned and operated brewery in Wisconsin. They are very creative and have several varieties of which as stated before this is my fav. It pours out a very light golden color not very cloudy with a hint of citrus in its smell. It's got a soft, fruity taste. It's not too heavy so you can drink it while you're grilling some carne asada on the deck, but it's also good to curl up with while you're listening to some blues.

3.94/5  rDev +17.3%

smooth and pretty good stuff. I'll have another.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance - 4/5
A very hazy light orange-brown. Minimal head. Can really see carbonation since it's so hazy, but if you hold up to a light, you can see a lot of carbonation flowing to the top. Overall, I really like the color and the haziness, and I think they work well together. More head would be nice though.

Smell - 4/5
Strong smells of blueberry, maybe a little bit of orange/citrus. Overall, a nice smell, I was not expecting the blueberry in this beer, but I like it.

Taste - 3.85/5
Blueberry, and orange-citrus flavors. Only slightly sweet, which is nice. A lot of beers with berry tastes are two sweet. This one is just right. Perhaps a little bit of malty flavor, as well as a tiny hint of hops. Overall, this is a nice tasting beer, especially considering it's pricepoint. Definitely a good beer for a hot summer day. My one complaint would be that the blueberry flavor is perhaps a bit too strong, and there's not enough beer taste. I would like to see them tweak this a bit, and then I think they could have a really excellent beer.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium-bodied, the carbonation is light but still very present, compliments the beer well. The beer is crisp. Overall, good feel in the mouth.

Overall - 3.8/5
Overall, I was very surprised by this beer. I just wanted to pick up a random cheap 6-pack, and this beer seemed like it might be good. But it was really an interesting brew, with the strong blueberry flavor. It's main strength is also it's main weakness though...I wish the blueberry was a little more subtle. Still a good choice, and I could see myself picking up a 6-pack again, maybe next summer.

4.75/5  rDev +41.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am so in love with this beer!!! It's light and has a blueberry hint

2.26/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Outlier detected. Please enter a review.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

I think all of Leinenkugels' beers are the same: fruity and delicious, but leave you wishing they had something more distinguishing than which fruit is in this particular beer you're drinking at that moment.

Thanksgiving Day beer tasting at Bro's house.

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

Wonderful unique caramelized taste.

3.81/5  rDev +13.4%

This is arguably the cheapest Witbier one can get. At Wal-Mart, six packs in my area sell for a little under six dollars. So if this is a winner, it's gonna be a winner on several levels.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (4.25) : I'm already impressed. I just reviewed Wasatch's lame attempt at a witbier (twice as much and harder to find) and this one is already looking better. Nice three fingered creamy head with a thick, hazy mango nectar appearance. I love the depth, and the opacity is about 70%. The haze tells me there's genuine unfiltered wheat here. The head stays put quite well and has only receded a little bit to a two fingered head within the last minute of starting this review. Lacing is left in licks and rings on the glass.

Aroma (4.25) : Oh dear. Honey, ginger, orange, a little coriander. It's all here. Some toffee and caramel notes...it just smells heavenly. It's like orange sherbet from when I was a kid at grandma's house. Just...wow.

Taste (3.5) : A bit watery, with hints of wheat, and then at the end there's an orange dreamsickle punch that just hits the back of your tongue sweetly. Finishes with a club soda/orange sherbet finish. I would have liked more body and depth but for a $6 six pack, I can't be too upset.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Creamy, medium bodied - if a bit watery, and a yeasty finish.

Overall (3.81) : For as cheap as it is, it's an easy drinking wheat beer. It scratches the surface of the witbier style but can't quite compete with the likes of Hoegaarden or Weihenstephaner. I would buy this beer again, and yes by the six pack. It's easy drinking and very sessionable.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Sampling right now on 10/18/14, though I had it on tap back in Florida. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "Leinenkugel's" shaker pint glass.

Pours a hazy golden-amber in color with a good 1+-finger creamy/foamy white head that settles down to around 2-3mm that lasts the whole drink. Decent sheets of lacing is seen that slips back down the sides of the glass except a few small areas that stick. The aroma is of grains and some citrus zest with a hint of spice. The taste starts out sweet with a slight bitter lemon/orange zest but finishes decent and doesn't last. Seems to be a hint of pine in the mix also. Lighter+ bodied with average carbonation. Overall, it was decent and drinkable.

3.36/5  rDev 0%

Lemon zest with juicy dark fruit notes, blueberry, grain, cereal, yogurt, orangepeel. Light drinkable body. Yes it taste like fruity pebbles.

4.11/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A single bottle was given to me by my sister-in-law...I decided to try it after mowing the lawn on a hot day with minimal expectations. Nonic pint, about 37º.

A=Much darker than anticipated, cloudy, with a large, foaming white head.

S=Citrus--orange and lemon.

T=Pleasantly surprised by the first taste--definite lemon and orange presence...both sweet and sour.

M=Unlike most Leinie offerings, this one had a rather full body...with fair carbonation.

O=I finally found a Leinenkugel product that I might buy again...I haven't quite finished it yet, but will enjoy this one.

to view more.